Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #1351
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 
Default Re: 2014 Falcon Sneek Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
In a perfect world I'd have both technology and a drivers car at the price of a FH XR8 but that won't happen in a Ford Falcon. Frankly I can see very good reasons why the VF SSV-Redline is selling it socks off and I think the public out there arn't as silly as many on here make them out to be. That car at its price point is an absolute blinder for Holden in my opinion.

Holden tried with their VF, you've got to give them credit for trying.
Have a look at www.ford.com and the level of technology in the latest Taurus and ask yourself why Ford starved the Falcon of the best technology, that's right, it was a deliberate decision to kill the Falcon off.
Different price point the 7 Series BMW but only because its so heavily taxed and the local distributors are so blatantly price gouging.

The final Falcon presents us with with a stark choice of that there is no doubt.
A final fling with the past and all the emotion that's involved with the history of the Falcon for more than 50 years, a good drivers car, albeit with a chassis that's stretched right to its limit with the SC and I6T motors and bereft of the latest available technology...or wait for the Mustang and hope for the best, or defect to the Red team and enjoy arguably a better chassis / handling experience along with a raft of current technology and all at a very reasonable price, but without the wonderful smooth torque laden delivery of the legendary I6T or the raw power of the V8 SC 335.
Kiwi's are in a better, (perhaps facing an even more perplexing dilema), position and have the added complexity of parallel importing a top end Euro for not much more money than a top of the line SC FPV.

Choice...definitly a first world problem
And I've already had my .04cents according to you. Parallel import away my friend. Oh, no, here it comes again...
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #1352
Soulsearcher

I've just bought a brand new FG GT and relegated the (at the time new) 2011 MC Mondeo Titanium to second vehicle status.

Before buying the GT, it was a toss up between the redline (possibly R8) and the GT.

The holden's had the technology, but not the driveline - but coming from the Mondeo the only feature that I would have considered enough to override the driveline would have been the active cruise control.

Having travelled ~70K a year in the Mondeo, the active cruise made life so much easier - people can say what they like about drivers being lazy, not knowing how to drive etc but the basic fact is it allowed me to ignore the over road users who would not / could not use their cruise control on the freeway & instead decide whether I was happy to cruise along without changing lanes or +/-my own cruise or overtake when safe.

Now that I travel what's more average (20-25K / annum) the other tech in the Mondeo that I found really convenient & found in the VF I think of as a nice to have.

I think that I am the exception to the rule, and in today's world gadget's override drivetrain (when pricing is equivalent) so unless Ford decides to heavily discount I think that they will struggle unless they spec it up.

I don't think that Ford will tech the next Falcon up, or discount to be honest (my personal opinion being that the bean counters have done the sums and worked out what the most economical way to close the Australian manufacturing operation and that's to reduce overall production build by pricing it at an appropriate point (they will likely lose $ on each car regardless of pricing)).
Soulsearcher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2014, 05:36 PM   #1353
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six View Post
There was also a subtle change of wing mirrors from EA to EB too.
EA's still used the XF mirrors.

EA guards didn't have the cut out for the indicator, and IIRC the reinforcement that ran on the inside of the guard is different.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #1354
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50 View Post
And I've already had my .04cents according to you. Parallel import away my friend. Oh, no, here it comes again...
Thanks for your "incredibly insightful" contribution to the thread. Wait till Audi tell you the $5,000 DPF filter on your SQ5 that's constantly malfunctioning, (its only a matter of time), is specifically excluded from your warranty and is a consumable item and then you really will be
Surely a European manufacturer selling you a vehicle through official distribution channels at a grossly over inflated price wouldn't play such dirty tricks...oh wait, they do

Obviously as a new vehicle truck salesman you have a vested interest in having a protected vehicle industry...commissions arn't as high on more fairly priced vehicles are they....the thought of people buying grey imports and cutting hard working salesmen like you out of the loop altogether...we couldn't allow that could we.

Last edited by Rodge; 16-02-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #1355
Rodge
Banned

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulsearcher View Post
I've just bought a brand new FG GT and relegated the (at the time new) 2011 MC Mondeo Titanium to second vehicle status.

Before buying the GT, it was a toss up between the redline (possibly R8) and the GT.

The holden's had the technology, but not the driveline - but coming from the Mondeo the only feature that I would have considered enough to override the driveline would have been the active cruise control.

Having travelled ~70K a year in the Mondeo, the active cruise made life so much easier - people can say what they like about drivers being lazy, not knowing how to drive etc but the basic fact is it allowed me to ignore the over road users who would not / could not use their cruise control on the freeway & instead decide whether I was happy to cruise along without changing lanes or +/-my own cruise or overtake when safe.

Now that I travel what's more average (20-25K / annum) the other tech in the Mondeo that I found really convenient & found in the VF I think of as a nice to have.

I think that I am the exception to the rule, and in today's world gadget's override drivetrain (when pricing is equivalent) so unless Ford decides to heavily discount I think that they will struggle unless they spec it up.

I don't think that Ford will tech the next Falcon up, or discount to be honest (my personal opinion being that the bean counters have done the sums and worked out what the most economical way to close the Australian manufacturing operation and that's to reduce overall production build by pricing it at an appropriate point (they will likely lose $ on each car regardless of pricing)).[/QUOTE]
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Ford Aust took certain development money for the FH from the Govt which obviously had strings attached or had to be paid back. Notice how quick they are to announce staff retrencment as soon as further losses in sales volumes are announced. Its all about exiting at the lowest cost, nothing else seems to matter to Ford America but I for one think they're underestimating the brand damage this is doing to Ford in this part of the world.
If the Bookies were taking odds, surely cessation of Falcon production sometime in 2015 would be the shortest priced bet of all time.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #1356
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Just like automatic transmissions, for lazy people who can't be bothered changing gears.

Your posts are usually quite insightful and well put, but I can't understand the judgemental generalising tone of the above comment.

I have a Territory for day to day driving but there was never a choice of a manual transmission. I went auto in the R-Spec because, to me, it was the better choice.

With regard to other tech "safety" systems, I had a test drive of a 300 SRT8 back in 2012 and I found the blind spot assist a great feature, particularly when a car changed lanes quickly behind me; the alert in the mirror drew my attention and made me aware another vehicle was at my rear three-quarter, even when I wasn't even going to change lanes.

We recently also bought a Focus Titanium hatch as my wife's car; it's loaded with tech and the features she likes the most are:

1) Keyless Entry,
2) Push Button start,
3) Folding Mirrors,
4) Front Parking Sensors,
5) The guide lines on the screen when reverse parking.

It would be great if Falcon could have these features (it probably already has the last one in the list.).

The comments others have made about not looking where you're going if you're using the reverse camera are also laughable; they're great if low objects are behind you and also let you judge it just right to the car spot rear line, particularly in bad light.
Old 16-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #1357
borough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
On topic, I think overall FH is (like the ED Falcon) a value packed model with a very short run that will bridge the current FG Falcon and it's replacement (in this case, not another Falcon but the Fusion/Mondeo)
In no way is the Mondeo a replacement for the Falcon. Is it a large car? No, its medium Is it RWD? No. Is it a sedan? No. Only a Hatch and Wagon is available from Ford Australia.
borough is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #1358
BHDOGS
Banned

Any actual real new news to report about the falcon instead of this crap.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 07:15 PM   #1359
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If there isn't going to be huge tech upgrades, lets just hope they sort out the bushes, diff bush in particular, and the ZF heat exchanger issue.
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 07:30 PM   #1360
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by borough View Post
In no way is the Mondeo a replacement for the Falcon. Is it a large car? No, its medium Is it RWD? No. Is it a sedan? No. Only a Hatch and Wagon is available from Ford Australia.
just like camry is medium car and yet aurion is a large car? have you checked the dimensions of a mondeo compared to a falcon? admittedly the interior dimensions are noticeably smaller, they aren't as small as you'd think, and are probably the same size if not larger than what a large car used to be in the 'e' series days.
also, apart from the commercial type vehicles, how many rwd cars are there at the top of the sales charts?

ford are interested in what sells. i would never buy a mondeo over a falcon, but if the falcon wasn't available, then mondeo would be top of the list.

new mondeo/fusion should be a great choice for family car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
Any actual real new news to report about the falcon instead of this crap.
its likely release is 3rd or 4th quarter this year. don't expect daily or weekly updates this early in the piece. spyman has given everyone plenty over the past week or so.

this forum has never been short of falcon detractors, so its no surprise that the speculation regarding content has gone on the downward spiral.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #1361
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone keen to speculate on pricing?, especially for the XR8, I am seriously considering buying one if I like the styling of the FH, so far it is looking good. I just hope they have a base model XR8, if they can just option things like Brembo brakes I will be happy as I don't wan't to spend extra $$$ on extras, as silly as it sounds because brakes are important but if they can lower the cost of the car it's only going to be a bonus when they are selling them.
One thing I would love Ford to do (they have done it in the past with the original XC Cobra and the BF ones) is as production is winding up and the last few hundred Falcons are coming is release a final GT version which would be an XR8 badged as a GT, GT stripes, different rims, everything standard, lower diff ratio for a slightly quicker launch time, different seats, they would be able to sell them fairly quickly.
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #1362
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
Your posts are usually quite insightful and well put, but I can't understand the judgemental generalising tone of the above comment.
all good I was just having a go at the post that I quoted, basically indicating that technology is for lazy drivers. My comment was more tongue in cheek.
I have nothing against auto transmissions or people that have them (had one myself).
Old 16-02-2014, 07:44 PM   #1363
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Medium on classification only, they are very roomy anyone who says otherwise hasn't obviously driven one.

Its a quite acceptable replacement.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 16-02-2014, 07:47 PM   #1364
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It sure is annoying having to dig through all these OT posts to see pictures. Someone needs to start a separate thread with all the spyshots/renderings/teasers, and maybe another one for the discussion.

Last edited by FalconXV; 16-02-2014 at 07:48 PM. Reason: soyshots sounds gross
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #1365
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf View Post
Anyone keen to speculate on pricing?, especially for the XR8,
realistically, i would say XR8 will have a list price similar to GS. it will be north of $50k minimum i think. anyone who thinks it will be low to mid $40's is kidding themselves. thats my guess.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #1366
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

How much more expensive would the current xr6t cost with the Miami (and any other changes required for the Miami) slotted in instead of the 6? Xr6t can be had for $39k driveaway without negotiating, so how much dearer is the v8? 2k? 5k? 10k? I can't see how it can cost an extra $11000 to get it to $50000.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 09:04 PM   #1367
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
How much more expensive would the current xr6t cost with the Miami (and any other changes required for the Miami) slotted in instead of the 6? Xr6t can be had for $39k driveaway without negotiating, so how much dearer is the v8? 2k? 5k? 10k? I can't see how it can cost an extra $11000 to get it to $50000.
We don't even know what the XR8 will be yet...

It might be more then just a XR V8...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 16-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #1368
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Exactly. If it's north of 50k, forget about it doing well. End of the day, it's not a GS (FPV). Mid - high 40s absolute max.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 09:07 PM   #1369
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
realistically, i would say XR8 will have a list price similar to GS. it will be north of $50k minimum i think. anyone who thinks it will be low to mid $40's is kidding themselves. thats my guess.
Either way the FH is will be a money loser for Ford. If they price it between $45,000 to $50,000 what an amazing deal you would get, a factory high tech V8 supercharged sedan that would blow most stock cars away, and then theirs the modding side to it, even then why would you bother modding a car that already has all that grunt.
As long as its under the luxury car tax range then I will be happy, nothing would annoy me more than having to fork out extra money for a BS tax that Labor introduced because they couldn't keep their ridiculous spending in check.
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
Old 16-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #1370
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This is true, but keep in mind the Coyote is an imported engine, think USD $ some of the tech is locally produced though, the I6 is made locally, I think the heads are the only imported item in the I6?

Does anyone get the feeling that Ford stepped on their own toes by announcing that the Mustang will be coming to Australia in right hand drive, will some people hold off buying a FH and wait for the Mustang?
Old 16-02-2014, 09:20 PM   #1371
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

I hope it's not too far away at least that way we will all know.. I would not expect many expensive changes, after all ford have said alreay it won't match the vf tech wise..
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 09:39 PM   #1372
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf View Post
This is true, but keep in mind the Coyote is an imported engine, think USD $ some of the tech is locally produced though, the I6 is made locally, I think the heads are the only imported item in the I6?

Does anyone get the feeling that Ford stepped on their own toes by announcing that the Mustang will be coming to Australia in right hand drive, will some people hold off buying a FH and wait for the Mustang?
Who are these people cross shopping a 4 door sedan against a 2 door tourer ?
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #1373
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinijosh View Post
I would for one.

I drive a fairlane as a dailt and my xr8 lives in the garage.

But I dont need four doors. So when fh comes out I'll of course cross shop it with others. Would have to be stupid to ignore the mustang if you dont need a 4 door
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #1374
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Good question, but maybe people who do trade in's when a new model comes out who are looking for a total performance package. A few people on here always trade in when a new model comes out, maybe the Mustang could be their next trade in.
Old 16-02-2014, 09:54 PM   #1375
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
all good I was just having a go at the post that I quoted, basically indicating that technology is for lazy drivers. My comment was more tongue in cheek.
I have nothing against auto transmissions or people that have them (had one myself).
No worries; I thought that might have been the case. LOL! I promised the wife I'd cook her fried rice tonight and couldn't re-visit my post.

I really hope the last Falcon is a beauty but as I have the R-Spec I'm not looking to get one. I'm waiting for Mustang; there's a group from Sinclair Ford going on a USA road trip in April and they'll visit a lot of favourite Mustang venues. The feedback should be interesting!
Old 16-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #1376
XRFutura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm one of these people, I'm waiting to see what the prices of the fh xr8 and v8 mustang are, will also be testing driving both of them before making a decision.

Back to the new falcon, we know the auto box is upgrade to the gen2 version of the ZF 6speed, hopefully the xr models will get blip shift.

It would be cool if the GT-P seats became an option on the xr6t and xr8.

Past Vehicles:
2015 Ford Territory TS MKII - diesel burner
2016 Ford FM Mustang GT - The Dream Car
2007 FPV BF MKII GT - popping the V8 cherry
1997 Ford EL Falcon Futura - 6 cylinders of fury
XRFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #1377
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Deleted.

Last edited by LeadFoot81; 16-02-2014 at 10:26 PM.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #1378
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Why do I keep coming to this thread looking for more news about FH, it's dribble after dribble now?

Need spyman to post some more pics to keep things on topic.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2014, 10:24 PM   #1379
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
nor am I contending that Fusion/Mondeo is a true spiritual replacement for the Falcon.
Interior space between Mondeo and Falcon is comparable (I think they might have found some more space in the update as well) it's a 3 box design, it's basically the next closest thing (in terms of getting from A to B) in Ford's arsenal and being packed with the latest tech, as well as EcoBoost and hybrid options (it might) be more relevant in the marketplace.

OK, enough from me I'll stop polluting the thread! Looking forwards to more pics.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 10:58 PM   #1380
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Thanks for your "incredibly insightful" contribution to the thread. Wait till Audi tell you the $5,000 DPF filter on your SQ5 that's constantly malfunctioning, (its only a matter of time), is specifically excluded from your warranty and is a consumable item and then you really will be
Surely a European manufacturer selling you a vehicle through official distribution channels at a grossly over inflated price wouldn't play such dirty tricks...oh wait, they do

Obviously as a new vehicle truck salesman you have a vested interest in having a protected vehicle industry...commissions arn't as high on more fairly priced vehicles are they....the thought of people buying grey imports and cutting hard working salesmen like you out of the loop altogether...we couldn't allow that could we.
I buy and support local industry, Rodge. The fact is not enough people do. My occupation is as irrelevant as yours- what's an accountant charge an hour? I sell an Australian made product. I wouldn't sell anything else- we build things here that last. We always have done- our cars do and our trucks do. They are not the cheapest to produce, that's the problem. The problem is their parent companies, housed in their International offices, see what the costs are to produce such low volume for such a difficult market segment. It's only a matter of time, it always was.

You just whinge your hole out about the same stuff Rodge, get over it- your contribution to the thread, dogging Ford and their choices is as useless as mine calling you out for it. Go parallel import something and annoy some other forum with tales of how great you've finally realised your GT is.
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post