Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-05-2022, 11:38 AM   #1
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Insurance repair woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
Just a question, didn't you Buy your Ranger 2nd hand not long ago? are you now in the market for a Brand new one?
Bought it 8 months ago and suffered hail damage which they're pointing to needing the roof skin replaced and im not sure that level of dismantling will leave me feeling satisfied with the finish.
They cant even give us an eta on repairs as they're struggling to get roof skins which has already seen it pushed back once.
With prices of used cars up we've discussed moving it on once its fixed and buying something from the new range to replace like for like which is why I considered 4x2 HR XLS without tech pack but including diff lock as thats basically what we have minus the chrome which is neither here nor there.
Im not a fan of the new front look compared to the PX2 which is why I considered a dark colour as it hides it better and another reason to avoid the XLT chrome.

For the record, we've never held on to cars long, I've had over 100 in 28 years of driving, so this isnt anything new.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-05-2022, 11:55 AM   #2
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Pretty simple tell insurer to pay you out or you will go to afca.

Walk in buy and xls for chump change. Should get it this quarter too!
Not really the right place but thought as a new Ranger might be the end game I'd respond to this with an update.
So I called the repairer on Monday morning to enquire about where they are at with sourcing parts, they said they had no idea and weren't even receiving responses from suppliers which was causing additional delays. I asked about a written quote so I could consider having it repaired through another repairer, they said I'd have to request that from the insurer.
So I immediately contacted the insurer who said contact the repairer, you can see where this is going.
So I mentioned AFCA and my intention to engage them and suddenly the insurer we're listening, put me on hold whilst they authorised the repairer to resend a quote to National Motor Assessors who would them email it to me, they said I'd be in receipt of it within 3 business days.

So 3 business days go past and nothing, I again call the repairer to make sure they received the request and acted on it and was told it was forwarded immediately and gave me the names of sender and receiver.
I then called the insurer who forwarded me on to the 'team' dealing with my case.
The team member said they had the quote and would forward it to me via email, asked for my email address, asked for it again to confirm and I then asked them to read it back to me, all good.
Not, was told it was sent as we spoke, still haven't received it.

So I've lodged a complaint with AFCA. The insurer have had more than enough time to address my concerns and have continued to make the process unnecessarily difficult. I cant even continue with my intentions to fit the cab out with a Rhino Rack Backbone and platform as the insurer said we cant do any modifications that would impede the repair, so Im seeking compensation for the cost of repairs to either have it repaired independently or if I run into the same parts supply issues I'll use the compensation to offset the economic loss from selling it damaged and look to purchase a new ranger.
If we have any joy we'll be visiting our local dealer soon about an XLS.

Last edited by GasoLane; 19-05-2022 at 03:51 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2022, 02:37 PM   #3
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: Insurance repair woes

Hows this crap.
So I just received the quote, under the heading Remove and Replace it says 'Roof Panel Replacement' and under hrs of labour..0.00HRS
Further down under the heading 'Paint' it says 'roof Panel' 3.40HRS
Further down under the heading 'New Part List' it says 'Replace Roof Panel' and under the 'Unit Price' it says...$0.00

The total cost of repairs in the absence of labour time allocation and the cost of the panel is $5648.28
Now im no panel beater or assessor but I know a bit about cars and I think it would be fair to assume the work required to strip the interior in order to remove the roof of the car would be substantial and so too would the labour to unpick and refit a roof skin and then refit the trim.
Then theres the cost of the part.

I called the repairer back and they said those costs should have been included, I then rang the insurer who called the repairer and came back saying a new quote would be provided but it wouldnt include the cost of the roof skin, I said bull****, this isnt theirs or your first time replacing a roof skin, you know exactly whats involved and what it would cost and you are deliberately trying to devalue the cost of the repair.
I then told them I'd lodged a complaint with AFCA and would notify them of your ongoing lack of cooperation.
They said they'd contact their assessor immediately and revise the quote with those items included.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtRS5wwC/Screen...502-Drive2.jpg

Any panel beaters out there want to comment on the time involved in stripping and fitting a roof skin and an approx. cost of the panel.
Old 19-05-2022, 02:46 PM   #4
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Original quote by Dr Smith
Quote:
Was it the repairer who didn't enter values for the roof re-skinning labour and supply or the insurer which altered the repairers quote before sending it onto you?

I can only go by what the repairer told me when I asked the question, the person I spoke to brought our file up and said the values we're enetered on those two lines, this was from their head office in QLD I believe, they then put me on hold and contacted the Adelaide office where the quote was written up and got back to me saying it was definitely included and that I should be calling the insurer and asking why its been omitted.

I called them and they initially tried to say thats what they got, I then said thats not what I've been told and after mentioning AFCA they suddenly decided to revisit the quote and 'update' it with the relevant information.
They then said it wouldn't include a price for the panel as that wouldnt be available until it arrived at the repairer. I said bull****, this isnt the first Ranger skin they've replaced as thats what the repairer told me, they then said they'd put it to the assessor to consider.

Actually, looking at the quote closely and they've also failed to quote a labour time to remove and replace the windscreen and back window as well as a few other smaller items which would need to be done for a roof skin replacement.

When I first contacted the insurer and mentioned getting an independent assessment on it they said I had choice of repairer and gave the green light to do so, they said they wouldn't bother sending me the existing quote and to just forward them whatever I was quoted.
I said no way, I want the existing quote so I know exactly what you've already approved for the repairs and the extent of them as I believe they we're hoping to get a cheaper quote.

Last edited by BENT_8; 19-05-2022 at 02:57 PM.
Old 19-05-2022, 03:28 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Perhaps they will just repair the roof skin?

Either way keep at it.

We had a not at fault rear-ender back in March, got it approved and fixed in April. Got a call from my body shop yesterday saying your insurer still hasn't paid us... This is a small family owned panel shop too. I was so cranky! Emailed my broker straight away and said whats going on with this. He is on to it now but these insurance companies are a disgrace!

Australia is turning into a nightmare as far as dealing with any large business / banks or government agencies since Covid.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2022, 03:55 PM   #6
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

Either way keep at it.

We had a not at fault rear-ender back in March, got it approved and fixed in April. Got a call from my body shop yesterday saying your insurer still hasn't paid us... This is a small family owned panel shop too. I was so cranky! Emailed my broker straight away and said whats going on with this. He is on to it now but these insurance companies are a disgrace!

Australia is turning into a nightmare as far as dealing with any large business / banks or government agencies since Covid.
If that was their intention then I would have accepted that as I've said before that I dont necessarily agree with such a central part of the structure being replaced, its not like just doing a hanging panel.
But the quote clearly states remove and replace the part and list its replacement under the new parts listing.

The reason for the 2 delays and no eta on a repair has been stated as being a result of no roof skins available.
As far as Im concerned if they thought a new skin was required and quoted for it which was accepted then we shouldn't have to settle for any less because its not available, that's not our fault.

We even rang the insurer a month ago when the repairer cancelled the first repair booking and asked if they'd consider compensating us for the roof damage by contributing to the back bone and platform that I intend putting on it after it was repaired as that will conceal the minor dents but they flat out refused to even consider it.
In hindsight it would have easily been the cheaper alternative as the back bone and platform was only $2.3k fitted of which we'd have accepted half just to move on, something tells me the labour to remove the trim, windows and unpick the old skin together with the cost of a new skin, painting and refitting would be considerably more than the $1150 it would have cost them.
Now its in the hands of AFCA along with the dodgy quote and a request for not only the proper cost of all repairs but compensation for their conduct and our possible economic loss so it'll end up being an expensive exercise for them I'd imagine.
Old 19-05-2022, 05:45 PM   #7
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This won't help you to hear it Bent_8, and times have changed, when a huge gum tree limb fell on our Territory the insurer said they would not repair the roof damage as there was a dent in the a-pillar and were not going to authorise repair of a structural part to do with the roof...to be honest I think it could have been filled in and with a complete full respray would never have been noticed...Allianz was the insurer and I actually had to rush over to the panel shop and collect anything still inside as they said the tow truck was collecting it that afternoon once I accepted their updated payout offer and the EFT was being processed by COB...I think the panel shop charged storage fees to insurers which motivated a quick collection.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2022, 06:00 PM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Kewpie doll, please.

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...&postcount=112
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2022, 06:12 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

Either way keep at it.

Usually they have 120-180 day payment terms with insurance company work, I wouldn't do their work because of that reason.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2022, 06:16 PM   #10
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Say what?

I said then I'd rather they just fix the hanging panels and leave the roof as Im not comfortable with them cutting the roof out.
At that stage the roof replacement wasnt confirmed so it was said from a 'what if' perspective.
Once they rang us in April to say the hold up was the roof skin it was confirmed, we then rang them back and asked if they would leave the roof as is and contribute to 'concealing' the damage, essentially speeding up the repair process for the rest of the vehicle and reducing their outlay, they didnt want to know about it.

As it is now I still dont want the roof replaced to be honest, but thats what they we're quoted and accepted.
If it ends up going elsewhere why should the repair budget be reduced by them omitting part of the original assessment from the quote?
Lets say for argument's sake the final quote including roof skin and fitting comes to 7k and as a result of the ongoing delays AFCA convinces them to settle the claim by way of payout, I can then take it to a repairer of my choice and get everything done as quoted for the current price of $5648 except the roof skin replaced and use the remaining money to have paintless dent removal done and then put a platform over the top.

If thats how it pans out I'll be happy and will probably keep it as its been a great vehicle.
There is still the option of accepting the payout and flogging it off as is because even with the hail damage it'll still pull good money due to the supply/demand situation we currently face, If that happens and I break even on the old one without spending any money on fixing it we'll consider tipping the money into a new one.
Either way, the insurer has a responsibility to rectify the situation in a timely manner, they haven't due to factors outside their control but thats not our fault, they dont offer a reduced premium based on what if's so why should they be excused for unexpected delays due to events down the track.
If someone buys it for what I can break even for and they take it as is, who am I to argue, its their money.

The other option is they can write it off and we start fresh, that wouldnt faze me either although id need to strip all the accessories ive fitted first and put them on the next one.
I just want progress, its rediculous.

Last edited by BENT_8; 19-05-2022 at 06:38 PM.
Old 20-05-2022, 11:58 AM   #11
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So, which insurer?
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2022, 12:08 PM   #12
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
So, which insurer?
Local mob under the IAG umbrella..
Old 26-05-2022, 07:28 PM   #13
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Bit of an update..

So despite being promised a week ago to have the quote updated to represent the full extent of the repair I received nothing.
The AFCA complaint was registered and I received notification from the insurer to say they'd received the complaint.

This morning I received a call from their 'onshore hail claims customer relations person' to say they we're very apologetic for the lack of communication and responses to requests. Said he was desperate to change the poor culture and image that currently exists.
I said great, now what have you done to rectify my problem as talk is cheap.
His response was basically the same rubbish I'd already heard from them, cant quote the panel as its got to be hand made and without it cant quote the labour rah, rah, rah.
I said look, I'll agree that the cost of the panel may be difficult to quote precisely due to the uncertainty of where its coming from and how its being produced but this repairer didnt open their business yesterday, this isnt their first roof skin job nor is it their first Ranger roof skin job, information that came straight from the horses mouth, so dont tell me they cant quote the labour to do it.
I then said If all you're going to do is regurgitate the same non committal rubbish I've already heard from the people with the poor 'culture' of customer relations then lets save us both some time and leave it for AFCA to deal with.

All of a sudden came an admission that the labour to do the roof skin repair can be calculated but it wont be individually priced on the updated quote as they cant divulge that as it can lead to other issues with people undercutting.
I said thats fine, the dollar figure for labour was on the quote so if you say x amount of hours I just multiply that by the $100hr.
The reply was that the $100hr rate wasnt supposed to be disclosed and should have been ommitted before I received it, I said bad luck take it up with whoever sent it to me, not my problem, all I want is a final figure that represents the entire job so I can take it to another repairer and have them quote the same quality of repair.

He then asked if Id be happy to split the repair, have them do what they can now and return it for the roof repair later.
I said no way, I only had the car 3 weeks when the damage occurred and have been unable to fit it out with the accessories I had planned for it as they said it cant impede the repair. I said I've already fitted out the tub with drawers, battery etc. and fitted roofracks and accessories thinking that would be ok as the tub wasnt damaged only to discover that the quote lists canopy and tub removal as part of the job.
I said no one told me the tub and canopy would be removed so who's going to cover the removal and refitting of all those accessories as the wiring cant be chopped, its not my fault we didnt get a proper explination of the extent of the job until we saw the quote.

It was at this point that he raised my suggestion from the AFCA complaint of simply paying us out and would I accept that.
I said sure, so long as the figure represented the full extent of the repair including all aspects omitted or uncosted.
Give me 24hrs he said and I'll have your quote updated as requested.
We wait..
3 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2022, 07:53 PM   #14
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Bit of an update..

So despite being promised a week ago to have the quote updated to represent the full extent of the repair I received nothing.
The AFCA complaint was registered and I received notification from the insurer to say they'd received the complaint.

This morning I received a call from their 'onshore hail claims customer relations person' to say they we're very apologetic for the lack of communication and responses to requests. Said he was desperate to change the poor culture and image that currently exists.
I said great, now what have you done to rectify my problem as talk is cheap.
His response was basically the same rubbish I'd already heard from them, cant quote the panel as its got to be hand made and without it cant quote the labour rah, rah, rah.
I said look, I'll agree that the cost of the panel may be difficult to quote precisely due to the uncertainty of where its coming from and how its being produced but this repairer didnt open their business yesterday, this isnt their first roof skin job nor is it their first Ranger roof skin job, information that came straight from the horses mouth, so dont tell me they cant quote the labour to do it.
I then said If all you're going to do is regurgitate the same non committal rubbish I've already heard from the people with the poor 'culture' of customer relations then lets save us both some time and leave it for AFCA to deal with.

All of a sudden came an admission that the labour to do the roof skin repair can be calculated but it wont be individually priced on the updated quote as they cant divulge that as it can lead to other issues with people undercutting.
I said thats fine, the dollar figure for labour was on the quote so if you say x amount of hours I just multiply that by the $100hr.
The reply was that the $100hr rate wasnt supposed to be disclosed and should have been ommitted before I received it, I said bad luck take it up with whoever sent it to me, not my problem, all I want is a final figure that represents the entire job so I can take it to another repairer and have them quote the same quality of repair.

He then asked if Id be happy to split the repair, have them do what they can now and return it for the roof repair later.
I said no way, I only had the car 3 weeks when the damage occurred and have been unable to fit it out with the accessories I had planned for it as they said it cant impede the repair. I said I've already fitted out the tub with drawers, battery etc. and fitted roofracks and accessories thinking that would be ok as the tub wasnt damaged only to discover that the quote lists canopy and tub removal as part of the job.
I said no one told me the tub and canopy would be removed so who's going to cover the removal and refitting of all those accessories as the wiring cant be chopped, its not my fault we didnt get a proper explination of the extent of the job until we saw the quote.

It was at this point that he raised my suggestion from the AFCA complaint of simply paying us out and would I accept that.
I said sure, so long as the figure represented the full extent of the repair including all aspects omitted or uncosted.
Give me 24hrs he said and I'll have your quote updated as requested.
We wait..
The best scenario for you here is if they pay you out less the salvage value, then you can order a new car and sell the hail damaged one as is, this will give you way more than the insured value and no issues of colour match or future problems with the repairs.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2022, 08:17 PM   #15
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
The best scenario for you here is if they pay you out less the salvage value, then you can order a new car and sell the hail damaged one as is, this will give you way more than the insured value and no issues of colour match or future problems with the repairs.
I've been following your opinions in Brodes insurance thread, any chance you could give me a ballpark figure on time to do the roof skin replacement?
You can reply via PM if you want.
Old 26-05-2022, 08:55 PM   #16
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
I've been following your opinions in Brodes insurance thread, any chance you could give me a ballpark figure on time to do the roof skin replacement?
You can reply via PM if you want.
To tell you the truth the roof skin will be quoted at full strip of interior etc, in reality it will be the front and rear window out, hood lining and pillar trims out and the rest will just be laid over the interior and a big fireproof blanket will be laid over everything else from the bonnet to the rear glass opening, this is the most efficient way of not damaging the trim as removing it and storing it is where the damage occurs, the skin does not take much at all and after its stripped a good beater will have the new skin fitted in a couple of hours tops ready for paint.

We did a roof skin on a CX9 last week, it was done in under 1 working day ready for paint
2 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2022, 09:36 PM   #17
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

So with parts and paint its probably $1500-2k worth of work alone yeah?
Old 26-05-2022, 10:02 PM   #18
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Its hard to say without knowing if the shop is contracted, it could be a $2000 job or they could be quoting at full rate and it could be a $8000 job, the roof skin could be $1000+ or could be under $500, its weird, some manufacturers are off the planet with parts prices, some are quite reasonable.

Pretty sure you can look up the repair procedure on the Ford service porthole, this will give you Fords recommended repair procedure and the time it should take to do the job, cant remember if they give you the interior strip in the procedure, but the skin would be covered from start to finish including what glues, sealers, the weld spacings, etc.

Never used it myself but I think you can pay for a timed access to download whatever you need.
Old 26-05-2022, 10:25 PM   #19
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I must have been lucky with my last insurance claim. The colour match was great on our 5 year old vehicle and that was on a vehicle with renowned paint issues. Maybe some repairers just take more pride in their work.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2022, 06:31 PM   #20
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

So I received a call back today from the insurer and i'd like to give a special shout out to the insurer who obviously read these pages as the first question he asked was 'Are you planning on selling the vehicle?'
I haven't mentioned the possibility of selling the car outside of this Forum so it can only have come from reading my posts here.

So the next thing my new friend asked was how bad the damage on the roof was, I said I'm no panel beater mate but the people you entrusted with assessing it think its bad enough to warrant a roof skin replacement.
He says yeah but how bad is, again I said compared to what, some I've seen are worse, some not so bad, but either way its industry knowledge that you cant tell the full extent of hail damage without going under...he finishes my sentence...lights.
Thats right I said, and I wasn't allowed near it during that process so we'll have to accept the word of the people who you entrusted to make that decision and they decided it needs a new roof.
Well thats not necessarily true he says. I said what do you mean. He says well quite often when we get them in to do the repair they decide its not as bad as they first thought and decide to repair the existing panel rather than replace it.

I said i beg your pardon, the reason my vehicle repair has been postponed twice already is due to needing a new roof skin and now you're saying that the roof skin may not even be replaced anyway.
Umm...well...yes, he says.
No way, not good enough, I only owned this vehicle 3 weeks when it got damaged and I've had to refrain from adding accessories to it because I was told it needed a new roof skin and now you're telling me I didnt need to wait this long at all, thats terrible customer service.
I then went on to mention the accessories I've already fitted having not been informed of the need to remove the canopy and tub until I received the quote that I've had to jump through hoops to get.
Well what type of accessories are we talking here he said.
I said a platform on the roof. We can take that off he says. Can you take off the back bone and refit it after the repair too, can you remove the platform and drawers and wiring I've fitted to the tub as well?

Hmm, he says, well why don't we just do a paintless dent repair on the roof?
No, you dont get to cut corners and I shouldn't have to accept it.
Its not cutting corners he says, its just as labour intensive to remove the dents as it is to replace the skin.
I said with all due respects mate that is rubbish, you don't remove the front and back windows to do paintless dent repair, you don't strip the interior to do paintless dent repair, you dont chop out the entire roof and replace it including the cost of parts and paint to do a paintless dent repair, you drop the roof lining at best.

Ok he says, which of the options i've given you would you like to pursue.
I laughed, I said what bloody options, all you've done is either tell me to wait for a roof skin or accept an inferior repair that'll save you money, they're not options.
Well what would you like to do?

I said you can start by getting me that quote I asked for and it needs to represent the full extent of the quoted repairs.
Once I get that I'll discuss where we go from there.
Would you accept a payout to settle the claim he says.
Yes, I would, I also consider that an option which until now you hadn't offered.
yes I did he says.
Umm, no you didn't, you asked me to assess my own car, asked me to wait for a roof skin for God knows how long or accept an inferior repair, that's all you've offered me.
I do apologise If I hadn't mentioned that he says.
I Lol'd.
I said I'll consider a settlement if the settlement offered represents the total extent of the damage and quoted repair.

I'll have your quote by Tuesday.
We wait....again.
Old 27-05-2022, 06:37 PM   #21
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: Insurance repair woes

Hopefully quote is done for you by Tuesday....I'm running out of popcorn
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2022, 06:53 PM   #22
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Hopefully quote is done for you by Tuesday....I'm running out of popcorn
Me too, it'll be 15 days since I first requested it by then, for a quote that should be saved to a hard drive and at the tip of their finger.
I can only imagine the uproar if I said I'll get back to you with the excess and make them wait the 15 days whilst I drive away in the car.

The funny part is that they're trying to say the missing part of the quote was never there, which i know is non true as I'd already spoken to the people at head office who confirmed with the regional office that wrote the quote, that it was already on there and had been omitted between them sending it to the insurer and me receiving it.
Old 27-05-2022, 07:14 PM   #23
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bent, word of warning, this is all between the 2 of you and just verbal which either of you can later renege on.

You need to contact him ASAP and get everything he said down on bloody paper.
PAPER TRAIL mate that way there is no mistrust, no misrepresentation, no doubting each others words, comments.
Old 27-05-2022, 08:16 PM   #24
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
Bent, word of warning, this is all between the 2 of you and just verbal which either of you can later renege on.

PAPER TRAIL mate that way there is no mistrust, no misrepresentation, no doubting each others words, comments.
Dont need to really, If it swings the wrong way I'll just handball it to AFCA and let them deal with it.
Anytime I mention those 4 letters they seem to become more accommodating as they know the way they've handled it has been ordinary at best and it opens them up to not just the repair bill but compensation for their mishandling of the situation.
Im not asking them for anything more than they've already agreed to by accepting the quote from their repairer, I just want it settled one way or another and don't really want to leave it up to a 3rd party adjudicator.
If they cant do the repair as quoted, and they've had more than enough time, then settle the claim and let us move on.
Old 27-05-2022, 09:18 PM   #25
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
So I received a call back today from the insurer and i'd like to give a special shout out to the insurer who obviously read these pages as the first question he asked was 'Are you planning on selling the vehicle?'
I haven't mentioned the possibility of selling the car outside of this Forum so it can only have come from reading my posts here.

So the next thing my new friend asked was how bad the damage on the roof was, I said I'm no panel beater mate but the people you entrusted with assessing it think its bad enough to warrant a roof skin replacement.
He says yeah but how bad is, again I said compared to what, some I've seen are worse, some not so bad, but either way its industry knowledge that you cant tell the full extent of hail damage without going under...he finishes my sentence...lights.
Thats right I said, and I wasn't allowed near it during that process so we'll have to accept the word of the people who you entrusted to make that decision and they decided it needs a new roof.
Well thats not necessarily true he says. I said what do you mean. He says well quite often when we get them in to do the repair they decide its not as bad as they first thought and decide to repair the existing panel rather than replace it.

I said i beg your pardon, the reason my vehicle repair has been postponed twice already is due to needing a new roof skin and now you're saying that the roof skin may not even be replaced anyway.
Umm...well...yes, he says.
No way, not good enough, I only owned this vehicle 3 weeks when it got damaged and I've had to refrain from adding accessories to it because I was told it needed a new roof skin and now you're telling me I didnt need to wait this long at all, thats terrible customer service.
I then went on to mention the accessories I've already fitted having not been informed of the need to remove the canopy and tub until I received the quote that I've had to jump through hoops to get.
Well what type of accessories are we talking here he said.
I said a platform on the roof. We can take that off he says. Can you take off the back bone and refit it after the repair too, can you remove the platform and drawers and wiring I've fitted to the tub as well?

Hmm, he says, well why don't we just do a paintless dent repair on the roof?
No, you dont get to cut corners and I shouldn't have to accept it.
Its not cutting corners he says, its just as labour intensive to remove the dents as it is to replace the skin.
I said with all due respects mate that is rubbish, you don't remove the front and back windows to do paintless dent repair, you don't strip the interior to do paintless dent repair, you dont chop out the entire roof and replace it including the cost of parts and paint to do a paintless dent repair, you drop the roof lining at best.

Ok he says, which of the options i've given you would you like to pursue.
I laughed, I said what bloody options, all you've done is either tell me to wait for a roof skin or accept an inferior repair that'll save you money, they're not options.
Well what would you like to do?

I said you can start by getting me that quote I asked for and it needs to represent the full extent of the quoted repairs.
Once I get that I'll discuss where we go from there.
Yes, I would, I also consider that an option which until now you hadn't offered.
yes I did he says.
Umm, no you didn't, you asked me to assess my own car, asked me to wait for a roof skin for God knows how long or accept an inferior repair, that's all you've offered me.
I do apologise If I hadn't mentioned that he says.
I Lol'd.
I said I'll consider a settlement if the settlement offered represents the total extent of the damage and quoted repair.

I'll have your quote by Tuesday.
We wait....again.
I wouldn't discount paintless dent removal so quickly. We have had 2 of our cars with pretty severe hail damage repaired this way. Well one was a mix of paintless and new panels. We were very happy with the results. You also don't have the issue of mismatched paint if the repairer can't be bothered matching it. You couldn't tell that it was damaged even after 5 years.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2022, 09:37 PM   #26
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our car was hail damaged and being repaired under insurance and I was told by the repairer that they would have to paint the roof after repair of dents. Picked car up upon completion and asked how long I should wait until I polished it. Was told 4-6 weeks. Great no problem. Went out to collect car and to go home and took a look of the roof and it hadn’t been painted. Went back inside to see what was going on and the guy in the office had no idea. Apparently it didn’t need painting.
Don’t get me wrong, the repair was satisfactory but to go from yeah she needs paint to not needing it is weird. I would expect it to be the other way round, sorry we needed to paint it worse than we thought.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2022, 09:38 AM   #27
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
Totally agree about a paper trail.
When we had to come home from NZ early in the COVID panic days, I put in a claim for our travel insurance.
Long story short, I only made about 3 phone calls during the drawn out saga.
All contact done by email, kept paper copies of the emails, and was able to refute everything they replied to by reference to their PDS, dates, Govt medical advice and their own incorrect information / advice which contradicted previous statements by them.
6 months later, advised them that my next stop would be AFCA with my lever arch file of correspondence. Claim paid in full.
Can't beat a good paper trail to dispel BS.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2022, 11:31 AM   #28
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
All Insurers would love it if they could settle all claims with a payout, this relinquishes them of all responsibility, there is no extras, you cant complain if the colour does not match, no warranty, shoddy work etc, the list goes on.

Payout will be less GST unless you are insured under your business name and even then you have to pay the GST component.

I noticed in one of your earlier posts that you mentioned $100 per hour labour for the panel repair, I hate to tell you that panel rates per hour from the insurers are $33 per hour, the estimator will just put extra hours down for repairs to get more money from the insurer, sometimes it goes through, sometimes it doesn't.

Its a pretty hard juggling act to have a panel beater on $44+ per hour but the shop only gets paid $33, this is where a good beater can make money for the shop and worth what they are paid, by doing a job in 1/4 of the time allocated, but you can see where some shops will cut corners.
Old 13-06-2022, 12:27 PM   #29
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Just thought I'd update this now that a settlement was reached.
In the end they apologised for the way its been handled and agreed to pay us out for the sum of $7500, I then received a call from them a few days later saying as a peace offering they'll reimburse us the $800 excess too.
So we got $8300.

Will have the bonnet repaired and put a platform over the roof and pocket the rest.
5 users like this post: