Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 19-05-2022, 06:22 PM   #931
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

Default Re: Russia v Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
They need Kamaz designers and techs, because you can't kill those things.
Yes, the Kamaz is a good thing. Done a few Dakar Rallies and some wins?

3 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2022, 07:14 PM   #932
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another 20 Bushmasters and 14 M113 APCs from Australia gifted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Strong words from the Turkish president on the new NATO applicants. If he doesn't change his tune, he may suddenly disappear from parliament through a mysterious vote of no confidence, or by some other means.

https://www.aei.org/foreign-and-defe...mands-to-nato/

List of demands:
Old mate will definitely leverage this for all it's worth but I find it hard to believe all those will be met if any. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 20-05-2022, 04:52 PM   #933
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Old mate will definitely leverage this for all it's worth but I find it hard to believe all those will be met if any. It will be interesting to see what happens.
If they do indeed get blocked, might give Macron the impetus to kick off his EU Army dream.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
This user likes this post:
Old 20-05-2022, 06:34 PM   #934
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If they do indeed get blocked, might give Macron the impetus to kick off his EU Army dream.
Lol Macron is full of **** on this EU army. Do it already but that would mean potential members actually have to front up and pay

I think it's more likely that the bigger NATO partners will make separate obligations outside of NATO if it is blocked.

The bloke is a **** but I understand Erdoğan's position to some extent. If you are obligated to defend a potential NATO member then you want to make sure that your interests are considered.
Old 20-05-2022, 07:06 PM   #935
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Lol Macron is full of **** on this EU army. Do it already but that would mean potential members actually have to front up and pay

I think it's more likely that the bigger NATO partners will make separate obligations outside of NATO if it is blocked.
Haha, I actually don't mind the idea. An EU military run by the EU to protect EU's interests. Its a strange situation that some members of the EU are not part of the alliance. NATO is run by some bloke on another continent to protect Europe's interests , but I guess that bloke does happen to have all the advanced weapons.

And yep, UK has already done their own pact with Sweden and Finland. They probably saw it from a mile away.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 20-05-2022, 08:43 PM   #936
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Haha, I actually don't mind the idea. An EU military run by the EU to protect EU's interests. Its a strange situation that some members of the EU are not part of the alliance. NATO is run by some bloke on another continent to protect Europe's interests , but I guess that bloke does happen to have all the advanced weapons.
I'm sure the US would like the EU and NATO to pick up the tab. They aren't the same blocs by definition but both have a lot of the same members. Ukraine want to be in both.

Yes already aware of the UK deal. It will be interesting to see if Russia tests this because at this point I reckon the UK would **** whip Russia on it's own.

While we are aware they have not unleashed the full Russian forces and that will be bad, it means Putin has to at some point admit it's not a "special operation" and somehow spin it to mobilise the full force to declare war

Last edited by MITCHAY; 20-05-2022 at 08:54 PM.
Old 21-05-2022, 08:52 AM   #937
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A trivial matter in the overall scheme of things, but interesting to see the ATP pull that trigger.

Wimbledon stripped of ranking points by ATP and WTA for banning Russian and Belarusian athletes
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-...-ban/101086950

Rides (past and present)

Old 22-05-2022, 01:27 AM   #938
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
So anyway, who's winning?

Putin is kicking Ukraine backside.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
Old 22-05-2022, 08:49 AM   #939
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmmmmm Col Richard Black, another ex senior military officer, with some alternate views. Ukraine Russia discussion starts second half. Reckons there were some 50 french officers who were part of the 2000+ that surrendered at the steel plant, and speculates it was the french who downed the Moskva. Makes a comparison of the "shock and awe" operation to the "special operation", and has some alternate views on whats happening in the media and what happened in Bucha.

His comments on russian subs lines up with what mate with links to the navy told me very early on, that they suspect there are already subs off the coast of the US ready for a nuclear strike if they get too involved.

And no, haven't done a background check to assess his credibility.

Rides (past and present)

Old 22-05-2022, 01:18 PM   #940
PhilT2

Quote:
His comments on russian subs lines up with what mate with links to the navy told me very early on, that they suspect there are already subs off the coast of the US ready for a nuclear strike if they get too involved.
No need to "suspect" that there are Russian subs off the US coast, that's been public knowledge for years. Same as there is US subs off the Russian coast. All part of the MAD (mutually assured destruction) plan that lets each country know that even if they can totally destroy the other they themselves will be destroyed

No need to assess his credibility, his story lives or dies on the strength of the evidence he has to prove any of it. Some of it is contradicted by what the Russians themselves say, like destroying Ukrainian infrastructure. He claims the Russians could have destroyed the power supply and other infrastructure but didn't. Maybe the Russians felt that bombing a nuclear reactor might not be a good idea if you want to occupy a country later. The other things like bridges, railways, oil refineries etc the Russians claim to have destroyed already.

His claim that the Syrians were happy and well fed until the CIA started a rebellion doesn't stand up either. The long drought and the countries economic problems at that time are well documented. Not saying that the US is innocent but lots of arab nations had issues around that time.

Black's claim that the Russians avoided destroying cities is contradicted by what they did in Chechnya. The capital Grozny was levelled. Rebel groups rarely have the munitions to level a whole city.

I don't object to anyone having a different point of view but if he wants to make extraordinary claims then he needs to produce some evidence for at least some of it.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2022, 05:37 PM   #941
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Strange. All these ex senior military officers seem to be making things up.

Rides (past and present)

Old 22-05-2022, 05:50 PM   #942
PhilT2

Quote:
Strange. All these ex senior military officers seem to be making things up.
The problem as I see it is all these generals are sitting on their tails in the US. And they all have different points of view so some of them have to be wrong don't they? When the experts disagree what do we do?
I just wish one of them could tell us when it will end.
Old 22-05-2022, 06:02 PM   #943
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Mick Ryan - albeit not a US general, nor even a Kentucky Colonel - has been appraising the situation in the ABC (Oz) news website as it progresses, offering a variety of scenarios and possibilities.

In 2002 I remember an American brass swearing that Bin Laden was (in his words) “worm bait by now”. That opinion could only have trickled down, and was quite wrong.
Old 22-05-2022, 06:45 PM   #944
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
No need to "suspect" that there are Russian subs off the US coast, that's been public knowledge for years. Same as there is US subs off the Russian coast. All part of the MAD (mutually assured destruction) plan that lets each country know that even if they can totally destroy the other they themselves will be destroyed

No need to assess his credibility, his story lives or dies on the strength of the evidence he has to prove any of it. Some of it is contradicted by what the Russians themselves say, like destroying Ukrainian infrastructure. He claims the Russians could have destroyed the power supply and other infrastructure but didn't. Maybe the Russians felt that bombing a nuclear reactor might not be a good idea if you want to occupy a country later. The other things like bridges, railways, oil refineries etc the Russians claim to have destroyed already.

His claim that the Syrians were happy and well fed until the CIA started a rebellion doesn't stand up either. The long drought and the countries economic problems at that time are well documented. Not saying that the US is innocent but lots of arab nations had issues around that time.

Black's claim that the Russians avoided destroying cities is contradicted by what they did in Chechnya. The capital Grozny was levelled. Rebel groups rarely have the munitions to level a whole city.

I don't object to anyone having a different point of view but if he wants to make extraordinary claims then he needs to produce some evidence for at least some of it.
There are few things that need to be clarified:

1. Yes, there are noisy Russian SSBN Submarines in the Oceans. Maybe even the rubbish “Kursk” ? ( Has Russia admitted to it being sunk yet ? )

2. The UK and the US have a technological advantage with SSBN’s and they are ready, where they need to be.

3. Those “old” Russian (Soviet designed) ill maintained SSBN’s have some silent, deadly SSN Submarines (from the UK and US - “Hunter Killers”) trailing them ready to send them to the ocean depths ( if the Russians, through incompetence, don’t blow up themselves first).
Old 23-05-2022, 03:53 PM   #945
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PhilT2: "His claim that the Syrians were happy and well fed until the CIA started a rebellion doesn't stand up either. The long drought and the countries economic problems at that time are well documented. Not saying that the US is innocent but lots of arab nations had issues around that time."

Some of you might remember that after 9/11 the neocons in the US came up with the 'Axis of Evil' (one of them must have overdosed on comics): Iraq, Iran and North Korea.

What they really wanted to say was that Iraq, Iran and Syria constituted the so-called Axis.

But that would have given the game away. It would have been too obvious that all they were concerned about was the Middle East; specifically, states that were not stooges for Israel and the US.

So they left Syria out and included North Korea. North Korea was included to make it look like we, the West, were facing a global threat - and we had to do something about it ... like starting off with an invasion of ... Iraq ... in the Middle East.

North Korea was never going to be invaded. Not a chance. It was simply a decoy to distract us from the main game.

The Israelis would love to see the US attack the next country on the list, Iran, but even Shrub (baby Bush) wasn't stupid enough to do that.

Syria was, however, up for regime change. Obama didn't quite seem to have the desire to complete the job and with Iranian, Russian and Hezbollah support Syria managed to survive, albeit not entirely intact.

I wonder if they will have another go at Syria now that Russia has been weakened in Ukraine.
Old 23-05-2022, 10:31 PM   #946
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wonder if this is real - Russia's Counsellor to the UN supposedly resigned over Putin's invasion

https://twitter.com/HillelNeuer/stat...5Es1_&ref_url=

Old 24-05-2022, 06:16 AM   #947
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
Wonder if this is real - Russia's Counsellor to the UN supposedly resigned over Putin's invasion
Seems to be real. Putin is probably mixing up a batch of Novichok for him right now.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-...mies/100984912
Old 25-05-2022, 09:15 PM   #948
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post

https://twitter.com/HillelNeuer/stat...5Es1_&ref_url=

It's fake.

Old 25-05-2022, 09:24 PM   #949
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
It's fake.
Hmm, the BBC, Aljazeera and Washington post don't think so.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61555390
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/...war-in-ukraine
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...s-ukraine-war/
Old 26-05-2022, 03:55 PM   #950
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Hmm, the BBC, Aljazeera and Washington post don't think so.
Sure ..it's a news item.

Doesn't mean they agree with it's contents.

Can't see any editorial opinion attached.

Sounds to me like a Russian trying to get political asylum.

Old 26-05-2022, 08:06 PM   #951
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

Ah, so it's true, but fake nonetheless. Got it.
Old 26-05-2022, 08:37 PM   #952
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A bit of a laugh, borrowed from another forum.

Ukraine

A Russian wife turned to her husband and asked, "What's this special military operation our glorious leader keeps talking about?"

Her husband replied, "It's a proxy war between Russia and NATO."

"Oh, right. How's it going?"

"Well," he replied, "so far we've lost 24,000 soldiers, 2,000 tanks, 200 aircraft, numerous helicopters, and loads of armoured vehicles and artillery pieces, and our flagship along with other naval pieces"

"Wow! What about NATO?"

"They haven't turned up yet."
8 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2022, 02:39 PM   #953
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Ukraine admits major defeat

Russian troops have taken over the town of Liman in the northern Donetsk region, the government in Kiev revealed, on Thursday evening. Ukrainian forces have reportedly withdrawn west-southwest towards Slavyansk.

“We have lost the town of Liman,” Alexey Arestovich, a key adviser to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, admitted in a livestream on Thursday.

Though Arestovich cited “unconfirmed reports,” Russian military correspondent Alexander Kots posted a video of Russian troops in the city shortly thereafter, captioned “Liman is ours.” Ukrainian troops “fled” west and southwest, Kots added, while covering their retreat with artillery fire.

The storming of Liman lasted less than a week, with Russian forces entering the city on May 23. There were unconfirmed reports, on Telegram channels, that as many as 500 Ukrainian troops had surrendered. By Wednesday, three quarters of Liman was allegedly under Russian control, with the remaining Ukrainian troops said to be fortifying the industrial zone on the southwestern edge of town.

However, an unverified video posted on TikTok on Wednesday purported to show a group of Ukrainian soldiers clinging to an armored vehicle driving at high speed away from the town, amid an artillery bombardment.

‘Go f**k yourselves’, Zelensky aide tells Western officials ‘Go f**k yourselves’, Zelensky aide tells Western officials
Liman was among the first towns in the Donetsk region to be taken over by militia opposed to the government in Kiev after the 2014 Maidan coup. Ukrainian “anti-terrorist” forces captured it in early June that year, and used their positions to lay siege to Slavyansk, where the separatist militia held on for another month.

News of the Ukrainian defeat at Liman comes amid the ongoing advance of Russian forces from Popasnaya, which threatens to completely cut off thousands of troops loyal to Kiev in the Severodonetsk-Lisichansk pocket.

Russia attacked the neighboring state in late February, following Ukraine’s failure to implement the terms of the Minsk agreements, first signed in 2014, and Moscow’s eventual recognition of the Donbass republics of Donetsk and Lugansk. The German- and French-brokered protocols were designed to give the breakaway regions special status within the Ukrainian state.

The Kremlin has since demanded that Ukraine officially declare itself a neutral country that will never join the US-led NATO military bloc. Kiev insists the Russian offensive was completely unprovoked and has denied claims it was planning to retake the two republics by force.

https://www.rt.com/russia/556164-lim...efeat-ukraine/
Old 27-05-2022, 05:03 PM   #954
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are reports that Russian forces have captured territory in Ukraine roughly the size of Spain (sourced from Sky News so not sure how true). They also seem to have control of the Zaporizhia NPP, largest in Europe, key strategic ports, and access to the Black Sea and Sea of Azov. All this whilst using old ineffective equipment against $billions of sophisticated weapons. Yikes.

An interesting update from Ritter. The interviewer challenges some of his earlier statements. Ritter reckons the $40b lend lease act has changed the game on the political front, and it is now unlikely Putin will achieve his political objectives. However, maintains the military objectives will be met, doesn't seem to be in any doubt.

Rides (past and present)

Old 27-05-2022, 05:29 PM   #955
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So I think I have it worked out and correct me if I'm wrong but according to the best sources presented in this forum, Russia and Ukraine are winning this war
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
4 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2022, 05:39 PM   #956
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
So I think I have it worked out and correct me if I'm wrong but according to the best sources presented in this forum, Russia and Ukraine are winning this war
Probably about the extent of whats going on in here.

Bit of 'Im more right than you are' kinda deal in here from some. No way you'd rely in your info from in here
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2022, 05:47 PM   #957
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Neither. The winner at this point in time is the one sitting on the side line feeding the meat grinder.

Rides (past and present)

Old 27-05-2022, 06:06 PM   #958
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

Quote:
Sort of

Obviously we all agree that if the war continues to its natural conclusion, Putinland will lose, either economically or militarily or both.

A country with a GDP only $1B greater than ours isn't going to be able to compete indefinitely with the might of NATO and the USA.
Old 27-05-2022, 07:10 PM   #959
PhilT2

Quote:
There are reports that Russian forces have captured territory in Ukraine roughly the size of Spain (sourced from Sky News so not sure how true). They also seem to have control of the Zaporizhia NPP, largest in Europe, key strategic ports, and access to the Black Sea and Sea of Azov. All this whilst using old ineffective equipment against $billions of sophisticated weapons. Yikes.
The truth is usually the first thing to die in a war but some facts are easy to check. If the Russians had captured an area the size of Spain that would be about 85% of Ukraine (Spain 500,000sqkm Ukraine 600,000sqkm) What the Russians actually control is a strip of the coastline about 159k wide and maybe 1000km long. They do have control of most of Ukraine's ports. Not that it matters; they control the Black Sea so even if Ukraine could load ships they couldn't go anywhere.

Ritter claims that farmers in Ukraine are not planting this years crop of wheat. I doubt this is true; I've seen reports that between 50-80% has been done. The issue is what happens when it is harvested. The silos are still full with last years crop and many are in Russian hands anyway. Putin has no reason to make any concessions, the shortage will force up prices worldwide and Russia as a major grain producer will do nicely. So will Australia.

I think Ukraine will continue to lose ground at least until many of the new weapons have reached the front and troops have become competent in their use. Training up reinforcements will also take time. This is all a long way from over.
Old 28-05-2022, 07:29 PM   #960
PhilT2

Aussie killed in Ukraine.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-...eill/101107898
Closed Thread