Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-05-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
02auxr8
Starter Motor

Default AU XR8 VCT miss firing

The car is a 2002 au series 3 xr8 VCT. Fine at idle but seams to miss fire when i am driving. Any ideas. Just changed leads and plugs and double checked connections. would a diagnostic self test give me any hints and if so how can i do one?

02auxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 09:18 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

XR8 or XR6VCT?

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

how many kms, any mods done etc
Old 10-05-2007, 10:05 PM   #4
paddle

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
XR8 or XR6VCT?
The car is a 2002 au series 3 xr8 VCT. Fine at idle but seams to miss fire when i am driving. Any ideas. Just changed leads and plugs and double checked connections. would a diagnostic self test give me any hints and if so how can i do one?

Guide dog Casper?? LOL!!
paddle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 10:09 PM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddle

Guide dog Casper?? LOL!!
I'd love to see a Variable Cam Timing AU XR8... it would be an astounding feat of technology on a Windsor.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 10:47 PM   #6
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
I'd love to see a Variable Cam Timing AU XR8... it would be an astounding feat of technology on a Windsor.
i'll have one thanks
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 11:09 PM   #7
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

I wouldnt mind one for my series 3. I must have been sleeping when they released that motor
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2007, 11:12 AM   #8
02auxr8
Starter Motor

Default mods

It has pacemaker extractors and a 3inch stainless steel exhaust. SS induction system.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:13 AM   #9
Sapper
Back to the AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKAUXR8
I wouldnt mind one for my series 3. I must have been sleeping when they released that motor
I suppose you also missed the XR8TT (Twin Turbo) realeased as a limited edition along with the XR6ST (SuperTurbo). Sleep is bad man.... :

02auxr8, I'm guessing your car is an XR8 right? In which case it doesn't have VCT. The only Falcon V8 to have VCT (that I'm aware of) is the SOHC 5.4 Boss. Reason for confusion is there is an XR6 VCT. Its easy to accidentally hit a 6 instead of an 8.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:28 AM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot xr6
I suppose you also missed the XR8TT (Twin Turbo) realeased as a limited edition along with the XR6ST (SuperTurbo). Sleep is bad man.... :
Actually, the XR6 ST is an actual model, and it stands for SprinT, not SuperTurbo. Lack of research is bad man.... : LOL.
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2007, 11:30 AM   #11
Sapper
Back to the AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Actually, the XR6 ST is an actual model, and it stands for SprinT, not SuperTurbo. Lack of research is bad man.... : LOL.
I know, I own an XR6 ST (comment was part of the joke). Hence the ST is Naturally Aspirated.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:46 PM   #12
02auxr8
Starter Motor

Sorry remove the vct remark-its my brothers car, just posting for him as he does not have the net. it is the 2002 series 3 au xr8. So can you help at all.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:51 PM   #13
Sledgehammer
Banned

Looks like you have checked the usual suspects, (plugs, leads, loose conections to coil pack), what about a faulty coil pack , dirty injectors, what about the alternator pumping out the correct voltage.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2007, 02:03 PM   #14
02auxr8
Starter Motor

Going to go through those on saturday. Thanks. any other thoughts and any idea on the computer self test.... i know on some other cars i have owned you could use a multimeter or even a led to get a sequence code out of it... Or have they done the typical where you need a special tool or diagnostic unit. Or would this be a waste of time on the type of problems i am having.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:25 PM   #15
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Theres two integral parts to an engines operation that critical in making it run right. You cant have one without the others, and you need both working in sync or you'll get a rough, or worse, no idle as she wont go. Fuel and spark are those two things.

It sounds like you've covered most of one side, short of a coil or some other electical problem, I think you have a problem on the fuel side. I would be starting with checking fuel pressure. I would also check that the injectors aren't clogged up. If you find that the fuel is stail, it's most likely the whole system will need a flush including replacing a fuel filter.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2007, 08:27 PM   #16
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02auxr8
Sorry remove the vct remark-its my brothers car, just posting for him as he does not have the net. it is the 2002 series 3 au xr8. So can you help at all.
Mate change the fuel filter
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2007, 10:19 PM   #17
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When you say misfire is it missing or is it a backfire from inlet. backfire check for air leakage between MAF and throttle body
Missing can also be caused by a weak or broken valve spring which performs at idle but not above. When its a mechanical issue it usually takes out the cylinder diagonally opposite on the coil pack and you should have coil pack fault codes registered on the ECU.
Of course this is on the outside but not uncommon but check all the other possibilities first,
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2007, 10:26 PM   #18
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I'd say coil pack. A test on it would only cost you $20 from a decent mechanic. If it does turn out to be one make sure you replace both but don't get them from Ford.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post