Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #31
JimNiki
71Mach1

I'm not gonna become one of those people who put bars on their windows, etc...
I'm not going to sacrifice my lifestyle on the off chance that something may happen.

That's what insurance is for...

by the way, the original mona lisa is here with me in sunbury, in the cupboard in the garage, under all the old magazines. I figured that the sort of scum that will try to pinch the mach1 will probably not be a connoisseur of rennaisance fine art...
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 11:22 PM   #32
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I had a hotted up Mighty Boy I had hankies which I sprayed fake snot on and draped it over my steering wheel and gear knob with a fake vomit patch on the seat. I also forged a letter head from a hospital with the words "Highly infectious patient - Inform clinical nurse before approaching" I screwed the paper up slightly and then placed the letter on the centre consol.
Thumb tacks were also glued under the wheel arches to stop people from picking it up at shopping centre carparks but these were removed when the Police spotted them.

But in your situation, id remove the steering wheel, battery, coil and wheels. and if your super keen then fork out and install bollards mate, I would not chain the car to the ground as if they attept to drive off then your whole underside of the car would be ripped apart.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 11:47 PM   #33
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

+1 for theback to base alarm system. Stay away from ADT though. had nothing but trouble with their system and they were no help.

Pay somebody upfront to install the alarm (put that in your house, and a seperate zone for the garage), and then have it monitored. If you install the bollards aswell, I doubt that most thieves would get close to getting the car.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 12:52 AM   #34
95_EF_futura
Starter Motor

I would recommend installing a couple hidden security cameras in front the shed that run on a 24hr loop or something . Look at having an alarm installed in your shed , maybe something with a pager function that can page your mobile number or the Police ? Maybe a cheap wheel clamp (visual deterrent) .

Purchase a good quality tracking device (GPS) with it's own back up power supply so that in the event that the car does go missing you can track it down as quickly as possible . Have the car insured just in case .
95_EF_futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 01:05 AM   #35
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
My Neighbour had an XW-GT Replica stolen out of his garage. They had to move his Sprint and his WRX to get to it, but they got it. The thing was never seen again.
That's it right there. If they want it, they will get it. The key is to make your car harder to steal than the next one. Car thieves don't want to spend lots of time dealing with security measures, they want a quick and painless it and out.

If it is a sectional garage door, I'd padlock it to the concrete floor in 2 spots and some sort of physical device to make the car hard to move (like a wheel clamp or the bollards as suggested). I'd definitely go for a GPS tracking system.

If it gets stolen, 1 phone call to the cops and they can find it.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 01:13 AM   #36
Scott

Cameras, for this type of eventuality are all but useless unless you get really lucky. A well designed alarm system is a good tool but they are easily overcome by anyone with significant desire to overcome them.

Theft like this will be best deterred with a combination of security measures including physical barriers.

It is often overlooked but consider making your physical barrier obvious to the public. Retractable barriers in your shed are hidden and the noise made in overcoming them would likely raise little interest.

Retractable or Pneumatic Bollards at the end of your driveway by the footpath on the other hand are not so easily overcome without significant noise and spectacle. Naturally a suitable fence (like a waist high brick fence) will secure the rest of your front yard.

It is worth noting that putting bollards at the end of your driveway will advertise the fact that you have something which may attract more fleas but the most likely case is that anyone looking to steal your car will already know where it is. Opportunistic theft will not be an issue of yours.

Good luck.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 02:18 AM   #37
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Yes but if the barstard THINKS I won't be comeing after him now I can see who it is better NOT think I won't be comeing after him...
Camera's in my place are not visible...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #38
adelaidecrows02

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNiki
I'm not gonna become one of those people who put bars on their windows, etc...
I'm not going to sacrifice my lifestyle on the off chance that something may happen.

That's what insurance is for...

by the way, the original mona lisa is here with me in sunbury, in the cupboard in the garage, under all the old magazines. I figured that the sort of scum that will try to pinch the mach1 will probably not be a connoisseur of rennaisance fine art...
Spot on - with all the examples given, it just demonstrates that all lengths will be taken to steal the vehicle, so at the end of the day, thats what insurance is for. Why raise the blood pressure stressing about something that is ultimately outside of your control?

what sort of magazines?
Old 24-10-2010, 11:45 PM   #39
blueluvr

For the GPS guys, don't take that as a be-all and end-all.

Like most things with technology involved, if there is a way, there is also a crack. A GPS jammer or mobile phone blocker is as easy as an online trip to most chinese gadget stores for around 100 bucks. One of these will render GPS/SMS systems useless.

I like some of the physical methods explained though, especially when out and about. A coil to rotor lead removed not so effective, as you can always pull a plug lead off and use that (albeit with one less cylinder, but the car can still run). I used to also theft "resist" my old hottie RX-4 with the std rotor button trick.

The old man had a 911 a few years back with a system of starting that was almost to the point of being a PITA. You had to have your foot on the brake whilst turning ign on, press a hidden switch buried in the carpet, yada yada yada, face mecca, touch your left earlobe with your right elbow, then turn to start, and if you were on the ball and you did it within the 5 seconds or so it allowed or you had to start the whole process all over again.....And for someone who can't even work a mobile phone, to have this system, it was funny watching him try and start it, used to take him ages
blueluvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 12:01 AM   #40
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One good was is to make the car seem undesireable or not really worth taking.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 01:29 AM   #41
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try these parking bollards, some are remote controlled so one button for the roller door one for the bollard.

http://www.okal.com.au/0/16/12/Parki...iers.html#Pro5

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post