Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-04-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
$AUDude
99' AU Falcon Forte

Default AU on the bench...

Hey Guys

Unfortunatly my AU1 won't start at the moment and I'm not really sure why. About a couple of weeks ago, it wouldn't start, didn't turnover or anything but we managed to jump start it and everything was fine, this happened again and was resolved the same way. Finally, it happened a third time yesterday, after a day of regular driving and now it will not jump start. All electrics in the car work so I'm not convinced it's a battery problem. Perhaps I need a new starter motor or alternator?

Any help would be apprieciated

$AUDude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 05:41 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

interior light works ?

does it crank and just not start, got spark and fuel ?

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Just because the electrics work doesn't mean it's not the battery. It takes a lot more power to crank than to turn on a light.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you have power at the dash, just put it into diagnostics mode and check the volts, or better yet if you have a multimeter use it
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Start with the earth terminal on the battery, remove it, clean it & the connector/s with sandpaper/wire brush, this is what the problem was with my mates AU & it had all the same symptoms as yours. It's a good place to begin!
Old 11-04-2007, 06:56 PM   #6
$AUDude
99' AU Falcon Forte

Thanks guys, I will pull out the multimeter and give it a clean tomorrow and see what happens

Quote:
Just because the electrics work doesn't mean it's not the battery. It takes a lot more power to crank than to turn on a light.
Wouldn't a jump start work if it was the battery?

Cheers
Old 11-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by $AUDude
Thanks guys, I will pull out the multimeter and give it a clean tomorrow and see what happens

Wouldn't a jump start work if it was the battery?

Cheers
Depends how you jump start it. If you put the positive on the positive, and the -ve from the donor car onto the -ve of the battery needing the jump, than that's not a good thing, and you may have fried a few important electrics. You need to jump the -ve from the donor battery to a good metal contact on the car (radiator support panel is usually OK). If you are doing this and it doesn't start, then I would clean the battery terminal contacts, as that could be your issue.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 12:06 PM   #8
LOWAU

When my battery died all the electrics were wroking properly except when I tried to start it, the alarm when on and all the symbols on the gauge started blinking. Also there was no crank.

Jump started it and drove it straight to claim a new battery from supercheap as it was just under warrently, now have a new battery and 2 more years of warrenty :sm_headba

How old is your current battery, if its your original ford one its is probly cactus by now.
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 09:54 PM   #9
$AUDude
99' AU Falcon Forte

Ok so the multimeter reads 12.4, so the battery should be okay? I tried cleaning the terminals and that didn't seem to work, I have also checked the fuses and they are fine. Because the electrics are ok, but there's no crank can I assume it's the starter motor or perhaps something else?

Thanks again!
Old 12-04-2007, 10:12 PM   #10
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

change the multimeter to amps, it should be about 560, then hold it on there while someone cranks the motor, and see what it goes to
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 10:22 PM   #11
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does the car have smartshield immobilization? Is there a symbol of a hand flashing fast in the instrument cluster?
You could also look at the starter relay under the bonnet, try swapping it with a cooling fan relay, you could also try using a jump wire to manually operate the starter.
Also could be a loose or broken starter solenoid wire (thinner wire on starter).
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 09:39 AM   #12
LOWAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by $AUDude
Ok so the multimeter reads 12.4, so the battery should be okay? I tried cleaning the terminals and that didn't seem to work, I have also checked the fuses and they are fine. Because the electrics are ok, but there's no crank can I assume it's the starter motor or perhaps something else?

Thanks again!
Is there another battery that you can borrow from a mate that you know is good that you can try? Then you can take your battery to supercheap or autobahn to get it tested properly(usually for free). You can't just test it with a volt meter unless its really bad and its showing below 12V. The amp test might work but i'm not sure.

I would try the battery first before look at other things as I had the same problem and I spent a good hour diagnosing before i found what it was.
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 11:44 AM   #13
plzhelpmeiamnew
illiterate with cars

I had this exact problem last year with my au1, i also got good multimeter readings too. I replaced the battery and problem solved.
plzhelpmeiamnew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #14
LittleRoberts
Starter Motor

Default Re: AU on the bench...

hey there all,
my problem is that i've tried to start my ford, and appeared to be a flat battery.. so i grabed another vehicle and {stupidly** attatched positive to positive and negative to negative on both batterys...
now the car wont start at all and the little 'smartsheild' hand stays on the dash???

can anyone help me try and work out whats gone wrong??

peace
LittleRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #15
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate get under there and whack the starter with a hammer a few times sounds like your starter isn't engaing.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #16
LittleRoberts
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRoberts
hey there all,
my problem is that i've tried to start my ford, and appeared to be a flat battery.. so i grabed another vehicle and {stupidly** attatched positive to positive and negative to negative on both batterys...
now the car wont start at all and the little 'smartsheild' hand stays on the dash???

can anyone help me try and work out whats gone wrong??

peace

for the people that find this and have done the same thing.. {i'll be honest.. it wasn't me.. im not really that stupid... lol was my father!**
that said.. we ended up having to change the PCM{though he has a spare that he has already written off.. lol the car that is** so we swapped out the key barrel, the BEM and the PCM from the other one and it started first go..

so actually seamed to work out that he had 'fried' the PCM or it needs to be recoded with the BEM as they had forgotten how to talk to each other..{and rather then learning new key just swapped barrels aswell.. only having to recode W/remote**... that SMART SHEILD HAND never dissapeared...

after all that was changed, started again first go!!

though now have a completely different problem...{OR IS IT??????** the automatic{which we have just swapped as well with the other vehicle as its drive train is all ALOT younger...** is now stuck in 'LHM' or 'Limp Home Mode'.. meaning that the transmission is 'locked' in third gear..{NOTE ALSO MEANS YOU CANNOT GET UP HILLS!!!!!!!!!**{REVERSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**
though there is also some other dilemma...it currently is having a bit of a REVERSE throttle Experience so the harder your trying to push it the worse the performance actually is???!!!
at stand still wont get over 3000RPM?? when it does sounds like there is major problems like its coughing???

anyone have any ideas about the new issues that have developed???

ATM IT IS down at the local mechanics to get the 'codes' reset or 'flashed' to try and see what is actually wrong with it...

Peace
Old 27-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #17
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
for the people that find this and have done the same thing.. {i'll be honest.. it wasn't me.. im not really that stupid... lol was my father!**
that said.. we ended up having to change the PCM{though he has a spare that he has already written off.. lol the car that is** so we swapped out the key barrel, the BEM and the PCM from the other one and it started first go..

so actually seamed to work out that he had 'fried' the PCM or it needs to be recoded with the BEM as they had forgotten how to talk to each other..{and rather then learning new key just swapped barrels aswell.. only having to recode W/remote**... that SMART SHEILD HAND never dissapeared...

though now have a completely different problem...{OR IS IT??????** the automatic{which we have just swapped as well with the other vehicle as its drive train is all ALOT younger...** is now stuck in 'LHM' or 'Limp Home Mode'.. meaning that the transmission is 'locked' in third gear..{NOTE ALSO MEANS YOU CANNOT GET UP HILLS!!!!!!!!!**{REVERSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**
though there is also some other dilemma...it currently is having a bit of a REVERSE throttle Experience so the harder your trying to push it the worse the performance actually is???!!!
at stand still wont get over 3000RPM?? when it does sounds like there is major problems like its coughing???

ATM IT IS down at the local mechanics to get the 'codes' reset or 'flashed' to try and see what is actually wrong with it...

Peace
negative on the body next time Jnr
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #18
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Peace
I don't know about your reverse problem. But LHM can be caused by many things, first I would check the inhibitor switch on the side of the transmission. Mine was faulty and stayed in Limp home mode since the ECU wasn't getting a signal.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #19
LittleRoberts
Starter Motor

hey all,
we got it back and the computer diagnostics said;
-servo/solenoid A gearbox elec
-VCT solenoid mechanical
-PRN321 selector error

and to clarify about the reverse turning the car around to travel up hills in reverse as 3rd gear cannot cope with the load whereas reverse is a 1st gear ratio..

so back to the diagnosis... i
ve went and chopped off the inhibitor switch from the wreck to solder it in place of the other inhibitor switch as this plug seams RATHER LOOSE!!!.. see what happens from there...

CAN ANYBODY TELL ME HOW TO 'SET' the PRN321 selector?

cheers for ever-ones help..
[i think he learning]
Old 19-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #20
holeworx
Starter Motor

I have a AU2.been parked up for 12mths.I have popped a battery in It now and then to give it a run.it has always started.popped a battery in it yeasterday ,started it ,today I have sold it there is no way it will start.tried the battery dissconnected & ignition on ,push the brake etc.imobiliser hand is on.any hints to make it go
holeworx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #21
holeworx
Starter Motor

engine cranks over & has spark
Old 19-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #22
BHDOGS
Banned

Fuel issues I'd say
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #23
holeworx
Starter Motor

tipped a bit off fuel down intake.no fire.have been tring all day.smart sheild hand is on & FAIr on dash.have done the ignition on for a hour.just going to try again with window down & a paper on door lock to see if it has cycled
Old 19-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #24
Teknoslasher
Travis - 1999 Ford AU S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by holeworx
tipped a bit off fuel down intake.no fire.have been tring all day.smart sheild hand is on & FAIr on dash.have done the ignition on for a hour.just going to try again with window down & a paper on door lock to see if it has cycled
I'm suffering the same problems with my EL. Went out today and grabbed a second hand fuel pump and distributor and tomorrow I'll grab a new coil to see how they go as I install each one. Good luck with your problem.
Teknoslasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post