Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
blueovalbits

Default Another S.A. motorsport event scrapped!

POLICE have put a stop to the Murray Bridge Autofest but the event organiser says he will not give up without a fight.
Murray Mallee Police superintendent Ian Parrott has written to Autofest operations manager Les Adams, informing him the police will no longer agree to exemptions under the Road Traffic Act and the Australian Road Rules.

The move effectively makes many of the events conducted at the Autofest illegal.
Full story:
http://www.murrayvalleystandard.com....d/1925269.aspx

Last edited by blueovalbits; 27-08-2010 at 10:19 PM.
blueovalbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Its us vs the do-gooders, don't get your hopes up, the majority of the public see this as "hooning" even though its an official event.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
Barry_v
rocknrolla

probably those eight spectators that got killed in california thats got them reviewing it... hopefully they can sort out a solution.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
blackxrsix

What is this state coming too.To many do gooders,prius driving clowns that are determined to ruin the whole bloody car scene i was a entrant to this years show and every safety precaution is done by les and his crew every driver is breath tested and the cars all get a good going over by the officials before you can even get through the gates,there are guard rails around the track,high fences what the hell do the so called police want.I think the police are going to start promoting street racing and burnouts on public roads (clowns)
www.aussiespeed.com
blackxrsix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there goes another one for you guys in south aus

I think they are stupid for pulling the pin on this one as stated above it will only promote street racing ect hope it doesnt but who knows

Les comes on here regulary and i am sure he will post here with the info that doesnt get into the paper

good luck on working something out Les

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Er ok.... and whats the difference when the V8 super car series are held on a street circuit?

The Indy?

Formula one?

Recently Rockhampton held its "street" sprints which starts within the show grounds and then runs outside on 2 roads which are closed to the public.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
blackxrsix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Er ok.... and whats the difference when the V8 super car series are held on a street circuit?

The Indy?

Formula one?

Recently Rockhampton held its "street" sprints which starts within the show grounds and then runs outside on 2 roads which are closed to the public.
Yea thats it mate,there is no differance,just another blow for the average joe that cant afford to buy a indy car or a v8 supercar.The whole murray bridge community really get behind the event and local bussiness does real well from the event.It would be a real shame if it got caned.Hopefully les can wave his majic wond and make it happen.I woke up grumpy and then i saw this and now im really fired up.
www.aussiespeed.com
Old 28-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Possibly too many complaints from the public as there are a lot of new housing developments around that area.
Old 28-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

That's rubbish. They're making SA an even emptier hole than it already is.
It's this sort of thing that will prompt them to possibly review gazzanats/other burnout comps, and maybe shut them down too.
It's rubbish!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #10
krt10
eskyman

really is stupid. spose people will just take it to the streets
Old 28-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what idiots, whats the difference between this and say speed on tweed? or as mentioned above the street circuit V8 events.

People whinge too much these days (how ironic lol)
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #12
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

alright I am not in SA but this crap winds me up and heres how I see it

OK councils and the like build football ovals basketball and tennis courts and all manner of public areas, not every single person uses these facilities yet they are built because people see football or cricket or basketball on TV and they want to have a go so they push for a place specifically built for them to "have a go" and they get it because it gives them a safe environment in which to give it a try, now for some hypocritical reason they cannot understand why motorsport enthusiasts do what they do on the street, if there was no football oval then kids would play "kick to kick" on the streets this is dangerous but nowhere near as much as motorsport type events yet they get a publically funded and maintained area in which to "do their thing", seems that this nation chooses which minority groups to pander to and which ones to give the shaft. This isn't fair by any stretch, give us decent places to "have a go" in our cars to take it off the streets for christ sake.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #13
xbrules
/[_][_]==DMC==[_][_]\

I have just about had enough of this pathetic excuse of a state. To cancel an event in a place like Murray Bridge for Pete Sake is utter B.S.!!! we only get a very select few events each year and now this has been pulled on us.

The other day there was a survey on the adelaidenow website asking former SA resident why they left. there were enough reasons on there to sink a ship. nearly all of them valid.

I lived in Penrith NSW for 9 years and I tell ya, What I would give to go back there to live, at least there was stuff to do in the way of motorsport. Bathurst a couple of hours up the hills and Eastern Creek down the road and at the time we had Oran park too.

What do we have here? a useless track in the burbs that is shut 363 days of the year (AIR) a track in the sticks that takes 2 hours to get to (Mallala) and a government that charges soo much money just for the privilege of occasionally getting your car out for a sunday drive. Sorry Tailem Bend didn't get a mention but that isn't really a track... yet

Daily: AU series 1 Fairmont Ghia
The Classic: Jan 79 ZH Fairlane, EFI'd 302 Clevo
The Project: Aug 73 Ford Landau Hardtop

During his lifetime, the average man will spend around 5 years behind the wheel of his car.... Make those years count... Drive a Ford.
xbrules is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #14
krt10
eskyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrules
I have just about had enough of this pathetic excuse of a state. To cancel an event in a place like Murray Bridge for Pete Sake is utter B.S.!!! we only get a very select few events each year and now this has been pulled on us.

The other day there was a survey on the adelaidenow website asking former SA resident why they left. there were enough reasons on there to sink a ship. nearly all of them valid.

I lived in Penrith NSW for 9 years and I tell ya, What I would give to go back there to live, at least there was stuff to do in the way of motorsport. Bathurst a couple of hours up the hills and Eastern Creek down the road and at the time we had Oran park too.

What do we have here? a useless track in the burbs that is shut 363 days of the year (AIR) a track in the sticks that takes 2 hours to get to (Mallala) and a government that charges soo much money just for the privilege of occasionally getting your car out for a sunday drive. Sorry Tailem Bend didn't get a mention but that isn't really a track... yet

agreed totally.
Old 28-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #15
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont get it, Cops wanna get hoons off the road and then they shutdown events that are safer than taking it to the road. WTF ???
Blame Rann...

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #16
blueovalbits

It just seems to get worse for us here. Pulling another event like this is going to do exactly that, push some of it back onto the streets. I know a couple of people at Murray Bridge and they say the streets haven't got any where near as many burnouts on them since this and the comps at the speedway give them somewhere safe to do them.

This event couldn't be held at the speedway track because there isn't any where near enough room or sealed areas for cruising and show and shine etc. This event brings in hundreds of spectators and entrants who all spend their fair share over the weekend which boosts local economy and helps keep some locals employed, just try and get a room on the weekend it's on for proof.

Les and his crew have run a national class trouble free event for four years so I can't see the reasoning behind this about face.

And now for another one to think about Rodney Jane has sold A.I.R. and the surrounding land for development!
Old 28-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #17
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose

The Indy?

Formula one?
I'm not voicing an opinion in either direction, but I'd guess the difference is the two events you mentioned, aside from any celebrity races and so on, are participated in by professional drivers, whereas the autofest is predominantly joe public. And don't get all antsy, as i said i have no opinion either way on this, I'm just answering your question.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 10:09 PM   #18
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The difference is the "money" spinner... otherwise such "dangerous" events wouldnt be held.

Its seems that councils, police, pollies etc support the larger corporations instead of the average bloke out there who wants a legal event to bring his car too.

There is always millions of dollars of tax payer money to spend on such money spinning events, yet when it comes to the "hoons" brigade (said in jest folks) there isnt much help forthcoming.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #19
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty hard to make a comment either way without understanding what the safety issues were/are.....

Old 28-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #20
nachoman

Heard a rumour that the motor complex at gillman is going ahead , but the govt doesnt want to announce etc it as it looks bad against their anti hoon image they are trying to sell to us in adelaide.
nachoman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 11:33 PM   #21
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachoman
Heard a rumour that the motor complex at gillman is going ahead , but the govt doesnt want to announce etc it as it looks bad against their anti hoon image they are trying to sell to us in adelaide.
Sorry mate not sure what your source is but I have it from Tony himself(ANDRA CEO in SA) that it has not had approval. Another stupid government decision. That dragstrip/motorplex would only be a good thing, but stubbornly they refuse us the right to build it.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 29-08-2010, 12:17 AM   #22
Qwik6
Unsafe @ any Speed

Ive heard that too Nachoman.
Apparenty its from the Pt Adelaide Mayor?

By HEINRICH PERFORMANCE & TUNING

E Series Falcon Image Museum on FB
https://www.facebook.com/pages/E-Ser...29864000453208
Qwik6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2010, 12:30 AM   #23
nachoman

I heard in on abc radio in the morning ( matt abraham and david bevan ) talking about how it has been approved etc.

On a side note, the govt cant make any money out of motorplex/air/murray bridge autofest. They all gather around clipsal /tour down under. I wont tell you teh figure sir lance armstrong is paid to come visit adelaide....
nachoman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2010, 12:35 AM   #24
Qwik6
Unsafe @ any Speed

I heard it on 5AA last Sunday just before midnight.

The Governement would make money from a Motorplex, from the sale of the land.

Old 29-08-2010, 01:06 AM   #25
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

As I said, no approval has been made.
It would all be hearsay. Rumours. Which is very unfortunate. The autofest thing, well, I think it's total bollocks that it's been cancelled. Watch the hoons run amok now as there isn't anywhere else to have fun! Rubbish. Pull your finger out SA gov/police force! You want results, listen to the people you are persecuting, not your own stupid ideas.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 29-08-2010, 01:11 AM   #26
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik6
I heard it on 5AA last Sunday just before midnight.

The Governement would make money from a Motorplex, from the sale of the land.
The money from leasing/selling would run into the millions, it's crazy that they don't accept, not to mention the jobs and other small business profits that would occur. I mean, seriously, imagine all the tuners, workshops, etc, that would profit from this. People spending big dollars on building drag cars, getting them tuned, etc. The people organizing and running the once a week drags, etc.
It's crazy the mentality and sheer stubborness that rann displays. No no no no no no. Why?? You don't wish to create jobs, help lower the road deaths, create income for the gov, what the hell are you doing in power??
Nutter.
I am very vocal about this. Being so close to the whole thing, it makes me angry watching very little progress being made. Smarten up your ideas mr rann, as I am sick to death of your stupidity.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 29-08-2010, 01:17 AM   #27
Qwik6
Unsafe @ any Speed

I don't understand why the "consortium" just don't build somewhere else where the governemnt will let them?

Old 29-08-2010, 02:24 AM   #28
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Because the gov won't. You've got a lot of red tape to get across, the land size, the proximity to the city. As we know the consortium won't build unless it is somewhat close to the cbd. They don't want another mallala or tailem bend.
That and no land is owned privately that is big enough for a motorplex
Game. Reinvented.

Old 29-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #29
290v
290v

so whats the Councils Stand on this out come, are they backing the promoters or the Government/Police?
Old 29-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #30
blackxrsix

The council is a 100% for the autofest but i assume les is the only one that could comment on the whole thing at the moment.You would think the council would have the rights to say yay or nay if something did ever go wrong it would be les or the council that got in the sh-t not sapol.I think it should be open season on polititions they cant even work out who is running the country let alone burnout comp or drag strip. Its all just a repeat of the motoplex again.
www.aussiespeed.com