Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Jeep Reliability

Hey guys just after peoples experiences with jeep wranglers are they a good car cause my neighbour is looking into getting one for his first car prob end up spending bout 10k on one just after peoples opinions on them as i heard they are a huge pile of unreliable junk.
But please enlighten me.

Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jeep reliability is an oxymoron .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The anti-Jeep people have no basis for that, they are very reliable and capable off-road. Wrangler's are not the best on-road, but if you want something that is fun, tough and capable, then they are hard to beat in my honest opinion. My dad's Grand Cherokee should have been broken many times according to Toyota lovers. Look, Jeeps are great. No reason to avoid them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
Jeep reliability is an oxymoron .
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Unsubstantiated waffle.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Jeeps are built, not bought ;)
Old 23-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

My cherokee went all round australia the oodnadatta track, strezleki desert, finke, simpson desert etc when I sold it 330,000km serviced at usual intervals replacing parts that were normal wear and tear like brake pads, hoses only extra costs due to failure were a radiator and PS pump brilliant car IMO.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #6
NAFairlane

They seem to be a bit hit and miss, i have heard ppl swear by them and others will never buy another. I know a guy who bought a new 4 door wrangler and was happy as larry with it used it on and off road etc and after a while the rear doors kept randomly popping open over bumps and at freeway speeds.......turns out the chassis warped when he got snatched out of a bog hole......
NAFairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

should sell him the mrs forester
Old 23-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's the same as most other cars. Look after it and it will probably do you good. Treat it like **** and it will break.
All cars of all manufactures have lemons in the bunch, jeep is the same.
You may get a *******, but overall they are pretty good vehicles.

I have a Jeep now and have never had a problem apart from a loose wire for the right hand speakers.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 11:16 PM   #9
cycle myth

As with any car you get good and bad ones.

...but with Jeeps the odds are a little worse.

I've never owned one but many Ford Dealers I know won't carry them in used stock.

Buyer beware.
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #10
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

So basically like a Ford... You get the good ones, but also the bad. I guess that would be the same with every manufacturer. Just test drive one, pay for a proper mechanical inspection and do it the right way.
XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 11:36 PM   #11
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just love it how all these people who have never owned one, or maybe never even been in one, go on about how terrible they are.

I know many Jeep owners(from an Aussie Jeep Forum I am on) and 98% of them love the car and would keep buying Jeeps.

I bought my Jeep same time as my mate bought his Subaru. Both brand new, his suby has been back to the dealer 3-4 times to be fixed. I am yet to take my car back.
So there you have it, If I just look at one observation, I can say Jeeps are more reliable then Subaru's and Subaru's make unreliable cars.
But I wont say that, because all Manufactures have good and bad cars.

Even Toyota, the supposed most reliable brand ever, has had many major recalls.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 01:21 AM   #12
xr8-200

An old house mate of mine had a wrangler. It was expensive to run, impractical for day to day driving and it broke down all the time....but he loved it. When it was on the road (by that I mean off road) he drove it hard and when things broke he would use it as an excuse to upgrade stuff.
If your neighbour realy wants one he should just get one. If he keeps it stock, it would be as reliable as any other car. If he gets the offroading bug things can get expensive....... a lot like performance cars I guess.
xr8-200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 02:39 AM   #13
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dodge Nitro what a wicked looking vehicle!! takes balls to put something like that on the market!!!!
Old 24-10-2010, 11:46 PM   #14
irlewy86
Meep Meep

To throw a cat amongst the pigeons.....

Wasn't it the Mercedes engines that caught fire and gave Jeep the really bad rap recently.
Old 25-10-2010, 12:34 AM   #15
antisocial
Starter Motor

No the Merc sourced Jeep engines are all Diesels.....and it was only the petrol ones that caught fire.

My Jeep (with a Merc engine) has over 75,000ks and has never caught fire, an my mates one has 195,000ks and he has not caught fire either.

Mine has had a few minor electical gremlins, electic seat control ect, but all fixed under warranty without any drama.

I have a 3L CRD Grand Cherokee and it's the best 4x4 I have owned by far, it has 510nm 160kw, tows up to 3.5t, gets about 10l/100k and came standard with pretty much the most capable 4wd system on the market (now an option) and with its front and rear diff locks will go places my previous patrols and pajeros could only deam of.

Its not as reliable as the Patrol, but has .......soul.

It is a cool car just like my old Typhoon....not a super reliable car like a Toyota, but a car you could love.

In a manly way of course.
antisocial is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #16
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've owned a couple of XJs, and from what I've found, and a lot of other Jeep owners, is that those who give them a bad rap have little to know experience with them.
Mechanicals in the XJ/Wrangler are pretty much bullet proof. The cast iron engines will go forever, the Wrangler has stronger diffs than the Cherokees so even better. Electrics can give a few problems, my headlight switch packed up but that was about it.
I gave em death and was never left stranded, even though the last trip I did before I sold it, she boiled out the coolant half way up a west coast beach with the tide coming in. I thought bugger it and kept on driving, for about 20 mins, under hard load/soft sand. She was still as good as day one.
Every Jeep owner I've met/talked to have been more than impressed. I bought mine because they were cheap. I didn't really know what I was buying but after having two I'd have another in a heartbeat.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #17
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antisocial
No the Merc sourced Jeep engines are all Diesels.....and it was only the petrol ones that caught fire.

My Jeep (with a Merc engine) has over 75,000ks and has never caught fire, an my mates one has 195,000ks and he has not caught fire either.

Mine has had a few minor electical gremlins, electic seat control ect, but all fixed under warranty without any drama.

I have a 3L CRD Grand Cherokee and it's the best 4x4 I have owned by far, it has 510nm 160kw, tows up to 3.5t, gets about 10l/100k and came standard with pretty much the most capable 4wd system on the market (now an option) and with its front and rear diff locks will go places my previous patrols and pajeros could only deam of.

Its not as reliable as the Patrol, but has .......soul.

It is a cool car just like my old Typhoon....not a super reliable car like a Toyota, but a car you could love.

In a manly way of course.
Alot of Chrysler employee's point to the Daimler days as the dark ages. Kinda the same story as you get from any company that falls under the Merc umbrella at some point. The new Pentastar engines look legit and Fiat seems to be breathing some life into the old girl.

Wrangler always has and always will be a good weekend package.
Old 25-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #18
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I think if you do any 4wd'ing you're gonna break stuff. I also have a mate who is pretty hardcore into it, and if something breaks, bends or otherwise fouls up, well it was rubbish to start with and needed upgrading anyways didn't it?!

Our boss has a brand new wrangler and he gives it a beating offroad, goes like the clappers and the whole thing can be taken apart. Awesome bit of kit IMO.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #19
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
I think if you do any 4wd'ing you're gonna break stuff.
As with any 4x4. I told my dad to buy a Hilux for his business, and he let me take it 4 wheel driving, and i did more than enough damage to it on one trip. Don't take any new 4x4 on a serious off-road trip.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #20
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Wranglers are generally budget and bullet proof.

Wrangler Rubicons have the basic goodies to make a formidable 4x4 - rock crawler - go just about any where vehicle.

Jeeps are also one of the few 4x4's which still offer manual transmissions.

Jeep reliability has improved - Go the Australia Jeep forum and ask the folks over there... http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/.

Also go to the Land Cruiser or Discovery or Nissan forums, these vehicles have a range of interesting features (faults) and cost a heck more than Wranglers.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #21
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well he has his heart set on one just hope he can afford to run one on apprentice wages and living out of home
Old 25-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #22
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balboa
well he has his heart set on one just hope he can afford to run one on apprentice wages and living out of home

They are pretty hard on the running expenses. If he's an apprentice I'd steer him clear of one for the time being.