Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation KA, KUGA, LINCOLN Coming ????

Ford, Holden plot model onslaught
RICHARD BLACKBURN and TOBY HAGON
October 23, 2010
Be the first to comment

Ford could build a Fiesta based soft-roader.
Ford and Holden, under siege from fast-growing import-only brands, this week revealed bold new plans to expand and update their model line-ups during the next two years.

Holden claims it will unleash an unprecedented new-vehicle onslaught that includes a range of four-wheel-drives and a major update to the Commodore.

Ford is countering with up to six new models and a big overhaul for its Territory soft-roader.

Both companies will bring out new one-tonne utes and budget off-roaders that will share the utes' workhorse underpinnings.

Ford told its dealers it would expand the number of nameplates in its range from nine to 14 by the end of 2012.

The company is rumoured to be looking at replacing the Escape soft-roader with the next-generation Focus-based Kuga, while it is also believed to be keen on a smaller soft-roader (pictured), potentially based on the Fiesta.

Other candidates for the model expansion are the Ka city runabout, which would sit below the Fiesta and compete with Holden's recently released Barina Spark, and two luxury offerings — including a soft-roader — from US brand Lincoln.

Ford has also reshaped the Territory to bring it more in line with the company's global soft-roader design theme. Dealers who attended the launch say the visual changes are significant, creating a more rugged, masculine look. A diesel engine will be the centrepiece of the new model.

Holden will counter with a rash of new models designed to plug gaps in its range, including a smaller soft-roader that will join an expanded four-wheel-drive line-up.

"Over the next year and a half, Australian customers will see a roll-out of new Holden product like they've never seen before," Holden managing director Mike Devereux told the media at the launch of the Spark earlier this week.

"We will have new, world-class, market-leading Holden vehicles competing in almost every segment in this market."

Devereux said it was all about "pretty much filling up the portfolio". "We're now getting to the point where the true might of GM's global product-development factory is going to display itself in this country," he said. "We've got a plan to put something we're proud of and is world class in each [segment]. Every three months there's going to be something fairly large going on."

He said Holden would release 10 new models between now and mid-2012, with a mix of replacement vehicles and all-new models.

And he hinted at a 4WD spin-off from the soon-to-be-revealed new Colorado ute, to go head to head with the likes of the Mitsubishi Challenger.

"There may be some variants of the utility ... you can use your imagination," he said.

RICHARD BLACKBURN and TOBY HAGON

KA Kuga coming, haven't we heard this before ??
Now, if they bring in the Lincoln Navigator,,where do I sign!!!!

Old 24-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A Fiesta based soft-roader? Well VW has the CrossPolo which is based upon the small Polo, so perhaps. I'm not sure if the market is really that crazed on small AWD vehicles though, have Mitsubishi had much success with the ASX because I've only seen one on the road?

Having participated in a Facebook chat with Martin Smith (Chief Designer for Ford) I don't think we'll see Kuga here anytime soon, well not until the next model anyway. He said:

Quote:
Focus is an example of a successful joint development...the next product that you will see developed in this way will be the replacement for the Kuga in Europe and the Escape in the US...^MS

So the new one is already is the works, meaning it's two or three years away. Add to that the lack of engine options for the Kuga, no automatic transmission yet, and the fact it's almost half way through its model cycle, well I don't think we'll see it here in the current version. Plus the amount of Ford Escapes the dealers have now shows Ford is still pushing **** uphill with a stick.

I doubt the Ka will come, with the new WT Fiesta being sourced form Thailand, it's much cheaper (at least dealers will be able to move on pricing now). I'm thinking Drive Away pricing on special occasions might be around $15,000 for the Fiesta, take into account the Ka would be European sourced (Built in Poland beside the Fiat 500) and it just doesn't make sense money wise. Again, there is no auto either. The new Holden Barina Spark will be one to watch here as it's manual only at launch until they get the auto ready plus it's cheap as chips.

Lincoln I have no doubt will make an appearance. With Ford selling Jaguar, Volvo, Land Rover and Aston Martin, it has no world wide premium brand. I do however think this won't happen until Lincoln moves away from the 'Re-badged Ford look' and they get their own interiors, and exterior styling (we're staring to see this now). Lincoln needs to prove it's more than a Ford brand, in the same way Lexus had to prove they were more than just an overpriced Toyota. Give them five years or so and I reckon they'll be global.
Old 24-10-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you think we could see the Lincoln's re-badged as Fairlanes and LTD's. Or would they use the Lincoln name here as well?
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Ford is in need of a Luxury brand, after having ditched all it's other options. My vote would be to bring Lincoln out here to Australia. A mix of top-range imports from other regions, plus fully spec-d out models based on Falcon and Territory, would be just about right.

Lukeyson
Old 24-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think they need to get the Lincoln brand right before they even think of bring it here...
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 11:49 PM   #6
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
Ford is in need of a Luxury brand, after having ditched all it's other options.
No they don't, Ford has been trying to get out of the Luxury Car, all they need is Lincoln.
Jaguar/land Rover has just cost Tata another $7 billion in expansion plans...LINK

I'd say that Ford got rid of them just in time.....
Quote:
British car plants making Jaguars and Land Rovers have been saved with a £5billion investment from their Indian owner.

The massive injection of funds by Tata will save thousands of jobs and create many more, including 1,500 at the Halewood plant on Merseyside.

Two other manufacturing sites which had been under threat, at Castle Bromwich and Solihull in the West Midlands, will also be retained.

Jaguar Land Rover said the number of models in its range will now be ‘significantly increased’.

The firm has already unveiled a ‘baby Range Rover’, the Evoque, which is being built at Halewood and will on sale next summer.

And bosses have agreed a ‘landmark’ two-year pay deal with trade unions worth 5 per cent from next month, with a further rise of 3 per cent from November next year.

Jaguar Land Rover chief executive Ralf Speth said: ‘This is a triumph for all concerned.

‘Our parent company Tata supported us through the recession and our employees also made sacrifices but now we are seeing a great turnaround in the business and everyone involved.’

The Unite union said it was ‘fantastic news’ for the company and its workers.

And Jack Dromey, Labour MP for Birmingham Erdington, which covers the Castle Bromwich plant, said it was ‘good news in bleak times’.
Well, looks like the idea of JLR being a boutique mfr with THREE factories lasted all of about three years.

See the problem with these companies? They can't sustain themselves. That's why Ford got rid of them. They didn't want the extensive sharing with Ford that was necessary for their survival.

Now they'll last just as long as Tata wants to put up with them.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 12:49 AM   #7
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So what are these extra five nameplates then?
KA is one, but if Kuga is replacing the Escape then that doesnt count.
Transit Connect?
T6 Everest?
S-Max?
Focus Convertible?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
ltd
Force Fed Fords

The lincoln brand IS ready, just the towncar is really, really old. I recently had a Lincoln Navigator for a week and a bit, and to be honest it was fantastic to get around in. It has every possible feature imaginable, right down to the electric running boards that deploy when you open a door. The interior was beautifully comfortable, the engine was the old 3 valve 5.4 but was never wanting, the features were fantastic. Even the second row of seats is basically two front seats; no one else is doing that. It's a fantastic car and depending on where I'm living in the next 12 months it could be in my driveway. Further, it costs between $49-55K US, with the dollar the way it is there's nothing in the price range to compare.
I vote Lincoln.

Quote: