Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default News Limited: Car service cost slug for basics

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad-app...-1225942940673

Quote:
Originally Posted by News Limited

MOTORISTS are being slugged almost $1000 more to have their car serviced at a dealer, a Herald Sun survey shows.

The Public Defender survey has found car dealers charging as much as $1200 for a scheduled service while independent mechanics quoted less than $300.

A 60,000km service for a four-year-old Volkswagen Golf revealed the biggest difference, with Barloworld Volkswagen Bayside quoting $990-$1200.

Independent Moorabbin Mechanical quoted $225 while chain stores Ultra Tune and Kmart Tyre & Auto were about half the dealer price.

A 60,000km service for a 2006 Holden Commodore would cost $340 at Booran Holden Cheltenham, but the independents were at least $150 cheaper.

Moorabbin Mechanical co-owner Michael Waters said the business, which employs just two people, did not have the overheads of big dealers.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"It has got to come from somewhere," Mr Waters said.

"And I suppose if people want to go there and watch a plasma and buy a latte they pay $800 for a service."

The business, like many independents, uses a mix of factory and generic parts, to keep costs down. Ultra Tune and Kmart also quoted with generic components.

Barloworld Volkswagen dealer principal Darryl Pribut said independent and chain mechanics often lured motorists with cheap quotes, but hit them with extras.

Mr Pribut warned newer car owners could also void their warranty if a vehicle failed because the manufacturer's preferred oil and genuine parts weren't used.

"By servicing with us the warranty is guaranteed," he said.

A Holden spokeswoman said its dealer mechanics were trained and could access diagnostic equipment and technical support specific to its range.

"In addition, Holden-authorised service personnel use quality products such as premium oils and lubricants that can enhance vehicle performance, economy and durability," she said.

A Consumer Affairs Victoria spokeswoman said services could be done independently without risking a warranty provided work was to manufacturer specifications using genuine parts. Genuine parts are those with car manufacturer, parts maker or well-known retailer branding.

VACC executive director David Purchase said a higher price did not always mean a better job and the most important thing was motorists were comfortable with their repairer. "It may be worth paying a little more to have peace of mind and confidence in your repairer, be it an independent or dealer," he said.
Anybody care to comment???

Oddly enough, the Herald sun artice obtained various service quotes for a range of cars, including a "2006 BA V6 Falcon"

Where do I found such a mythical beast???

saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
bingoTE50
Steve

It just confirms what a lot of us knew.When Holden used to offer a guaranteed buyback some years ago if the vehicle was holden serviced I thought it may have some merit ( genuine service). The problem is now, if you only keep a car three to five years it is not worth having expensive servicing carried out as it makes no difference at trade in or sales time. As long as the service book is stamped as serviced it makes no difference by who.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by saber
I'd love to see a manufacturers response to "brand X oil's" lawyers when they cancel a warranty because they used "Brand X" instead of the preferred oil.
Brand X in this case is a well known oil manufacturer, not coles or woolies oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saber
Oddly enough, the Herald sun artice obtained various service quotes for a range of cars, including a "2006 BA V6 Falcon"

Where do I found such a mythical beast???
I saw one just the other day, 'V6' badges on the guards and all.
Old 25-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

This is one of the many reasons why I do it myself.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
20focus05
I wanna XR5

got me buggered I work for a multi manufacture dealer and the only ones that cost quite a bit is the 4WD's when you have to do wheel bearings etc and we are saving up to build a new larger premises.
we have the fixed price service prices. Mitsi, Toyota and Hyundai

I agree that not all dealers are there for their customers!!

We are country so people are important cause they talk to each other.

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*

Last edited by 20focus05; 25-10-2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: forgot something
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

The 60k Golf service would be on a DSG equipped one, the oil alone is worth more than $300. While I'm not defending the price (as I had to pay it once... I actually think it was $1300) I'd guarantee that the independent mechanic didn't touch the DSG.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
fg_nitro

Euro cars are more expensive to service Fact. 350 dollars for a rear wiper (VW Golf Hatch)

Mind you the the last service on the FG was around 300 dollars. I spose with newer cars with all the computers and control units with flash memory then it would be advisable to take your car for a dealer service to ensure everything is kept up to date. But whats the point in getting a 5 year old car still serviced at the Dealer? Unless its some exotic.
fg_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
This is one of the many reasons why I do it myself.
Spot on.

Being from Moorabbin and having dealt with Barloworld as well as numerous other business due to my employment, I am not surprised with anything mentioned in the article.

Spare parts prices needs another article on it's own! While you get genuine parts from dealerships, you pay more for it. Labour ends up costing more than parts in many cases.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

We must remember that newer cars have longer service intervals then previously so your gonna get charged more. Mind you some of the prices dealers are trying to charge are silly, but my Ford dealer has quoted me cheaper prices then the 'independents'.