Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What P plate laws apply when passing through

Hi,
Its probably been asked before but if I have a v8 car on my P2 license down here in Tasmanian (which is OK) how long do I have before I have to put up green P's and stop driving the V8? The car would have tassie rego if thats an excuse.
Edit: Might be moving to Victoria but want to buy a V8 down here before I leave (if I do)

Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Hmm I dont know how that works if you buy before you move, might be right for an exception...perhaps call VicRoads.

I remember when I was on my P's I got done big time by TAS police, basically if it happened in VIC I would have lost my license (I was running late for the boat), but, when it came to the paper work I got a fine, but didn't lose any points because of some jurisdictional thing. The officer went to town with me, I had my P plates up but the one on the back window fell down (front still up)..so I got done for not showing plates aswell....

Then I wrote a letter to the boss of TAS police saying that as I was on a VIC (2nd year) license I shouldn't need to display plates as per TAS laws..so I got out of that aswell..

Because we live in a country with different states, and apparently everyone should abide by different laws it makes it confusing. Vicroads will be able to tell you.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey man, my mate has an ACT licence and he drives a vz ss on his p's, when hes in nsw cops cant do jack s@$#, they have tried getting him before so i guess it would be the same rules with you, also- he got done speeding last weekend here and he should of lost his licence but because his licence is an ACT licence the demerit points cant be deducted when he gets caught it nsw, vic etc
lucky *****
Old 26-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
dylancox

Licensing system in Australia is a joke. It is possible to hold more than one license at the same time by having one from different states. Also, what's the go with an Auto P-plate license migrating to a Full License with no 'Automatic' restriction on it?
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
andrewts
White Car Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
Licensing system in Australia is a joke. It is possible to hold more than one license at the same time by having one from different states. Also, what's the go with an Auto P-plate license migrating to a Full License with no 'Automatic' restriction on it?
Didn't you know? As soon as you have a full license you know how to drive everything, especially those twin turbo V8s.

And as soon as you turn 25 you're suddenly no longer dangerous enough to need to pay 3x more for your insurance.

Old 26-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

I think a trip to tasmania is in order for me to get my new license! ;D
Old 26-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Also, what's the go with an Auto P-plate license migrating to a Full License with no 'Automatic' restriction on it?
As far as I know, that's not the case...there was a big thread on it a while ago?

Could be wrong!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
As far as I know, that's not the case...there was a big thread on it a while ago?

Could be wrong!
In NSW, if you get your P plates in an auto, you can drive a manual once you get on your green P's.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
Enapthin
B8

from my understanding of the rules (my brother on green p's in vic) if you change your license to a Vic one you cant drive a v8 or turbo pertol car unless its a work car owned by the company you work for and your employer has notified vicroads doesn't matter where the cars from it's the license.

But if you keep you Tas license it will be fine if it's allowed in tas, but you are meant to change over you license if you have been living interstate for more than 3 months, but i dont believe there is a rule forcing you 2.

BROCK EA S PACK FORD FALCON
BUILD NO.95
Enapthin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #10
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The laws are a condition associated with your licence. eg - L Platers in NSW have to go 80kph, L Platers in ACT can go 100kph even if driving in NSW...

Same goes with what car you own - If you are a P plater in NSW, you cannot drive a V8 or turbo/supercharged car... on an ACT P plate licence, you can drive it...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCwillo
I think a trip to tasmania is in order for me to get my new license! ;D
Yep except you will need a premanent residential address down there and then when you come back if you do not change back to QLD license within 3 months you are unlicensed.

When you change back to QLD you will be restricted again.

Of course you could rent a house in Tassie, buy a Tassie registered car and commute back and forward every 2.9 months but you might find that your money bucket springs a big hole.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #12
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yep except you will need a premanent residential address down there and then when you come back if you do not change back to QLD license within 3 months you are unlicensed.

When you change back to QLD you will be restricted again.

Of course you could rent a house in Tassie, buy a Tassie registered car and commute back and forward every 2.9 months but you might find that your money bucket springs a big hole.
if your renting a house in tassie and have a car with rego in tassie
why would you need to commute? no one can prove you haven't visted the house in tassie

Recent Car
Ross-b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross-b
if your renting a house in tassie and have a car with rego in tassie
why would you need to commute? no one can prove you haven't visted the house in tassie
Because the local coppers take note of interstate plates and if they seem to hang around investigate them.

You will be charged and then YOU will have to prove that you commuted.
Old 26-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Also, if you're under 22 and try transfer your license to a Victorian one, you'll be on P plates regardless if you have a full license in another state.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2010, 09:53 PM   #15
dylancox

Quote:
Because the local coppers take note of interstate plates and if they seem to hang around investigate them.

How do you prove that you have commuted? A signed witness statement?
Old 26-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How do you prove that you have commuted? A signed witness statement?
So you will get someone to commit perjury, an offense for which BOTH of you could be jailed just to get you off a fraudulent attempt to beat the licensing system.

Lets see now....

How did you get to Tassie?
Fly? You are not any any airline manifest.
Drive? Bloody soggy if you don't take the boat and of course appear on the manifest?
Swim?

And how come your credit card/ATM card/phone/whatever was used in QLD while you were Tassie?
Or your license plate was read by one the the huge number of cameras that hide in all the new traffic signs or red light and speed cameras.

This is the real world, not home and away.

Most criminals are caught because they are not very smart, learn from this....
Old 26-10-2010, 10:08 PM   #17
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This is the real world, not home and away.
Crap... Here I was thinking we were all this time

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #18
dylancox

Quote:

I think you probably know better than me, but I know of some interstate drivers who keep their car registered interstate, despite having a house, business, etc. here. They have done this for the good part of 15 years. Never one hassle from the police (they are late middle age folk and don't attract any attention with their driving, obviously). Perhaps they have registered their vehicles as work cars at their interstate office, hence sidestepping the whole thing?
Old 26-10-2010, 11:59 PM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think you probably know better than me, but I know of some interstate drivers who keep their car registered interstate, despite having a house, business, etc. here. They have done this for the good part of 15 years. Never one hassle from the police (they are late middle age folk and don't attract any attention with their driving, obviously). Perhaps they have registered their vehicles as work cars at their interstate office, hence sidestepping the whole thing?
Well if you look into it a bit further you might find that:
a) They are not doing something stupidly overt like sticking a P plate on a V8 in a state where that is illegal.
b) have the car registered in a nearby state not one that is an island.
c) don't live in a town that has only 3 traffic police and one main road in and out.
d) genuinely travel interstate on a regular basis.

Never underestimate traffic police, they are not fools.....
Old 27-10-2010, 09:09 AM   #20
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So, yay or nay?
Reading this Id have 3 months to change over my license and go under Vic's laws. I will call VicRoads later today.
Old 27-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #21
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah she said that you're alllowed 3 months to change over the license, and change over to Vic laws. Good news.
Old 27-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #22
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
Yeah she said that you're alllowed 3 months to change over the license, and change over to Vic laws. Good news.
PrickRoads, the service I get from them has always been slow and less than mediocre
Old 27-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #23
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I assume they get a lot of angry impatient people on the other end of the phone though. Really good manners and proffesionalism over the phone goes a long way to getting what you need. Not a dig at you, just a tip.