Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-11-2014, 06:46 PM   #181
bionic2006xr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Schumacher critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
These are the 4 official GoPro helmets with various mounts.

http://shop.gopro.com/APAC/mounts
I had read that he actually modified his existing helmet to fit the go pro. One would presume a F1 champ would know the importance of a good helmet and that they wouldn't be modified. Let's hope that statement is BS.

Cheers Ryan
bionic2006xr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #182
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

go pro footage not loading??
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2014, 01:08 AM   #183
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxm View Post
Hate to say it, but there is a price on human life. How long can the family sustain $180k a week?
I hope (but doubt) that if/when he wakes up he has some sort of normal life, if not then that the end is peacefull/pain free.
Can't say that'll be much of a problem for Schumacher. Even if we were to assume he isn't still getting money from his personal sponsors, he has enormous personal wealth.

Aside from his wealth, he has no shortage of friends in high places who wouldn't give a second thought to making a donation. Ferrari and Mercedes for a start; Jean Todt and Ross Brawn will dip into their own pockets ... hell, even Bernie Ecclestone might.

I don't think money will be an issue.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #184
Juan Loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Can't say that'll be much of a problem for Schumacher. Even if we were to assume he isn't still getting money from his personal sponsors, he has enormous personal wealth.

Aside from his wealth, he has no shortage of friends in high places who wouldn't give a second thought to making a donation. Ferrari and Mercedes for a start; Jean Todt and Ross Brawn will dip into their own pockets ... hell, even Bernie Ecclestone might.

I don't think money will be an issue.
hahaha
Have you seen the world we live in?

Now for all I know his wife is just hopelessly devoted to him and would go hungry to pay his medical bills, but money does make people do crazy things. Woman have stabbed their husbands for less, and she is watching her kid's inheritance get burned through. There's also got to come a point at which people start looking sideways at the doctors who are making millions from his treatment, and start asking the obvious questions.

I sincerely hope he gets better, just as I would any injured person, but the longer this goes on the bigger the doubts that he will recover.
Juan Loco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #185
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Loco View Post
hahaha
Have you seen the world we live in?

Now for all I know his wife is just hopelessly devoted to him and would go hungry to pay his medical bills, but money does make people do crazy things. Woman have stabbed their husbands for less, and she is watching her kid's inheritance get burned through. There's also got to come a point at which people start looking sideways at the doctors who are making millions from his treatment, and start asking the obvious questions.

I sincerely hope he gets better, just as I would any injured person, but the longer this goes on the bigger the doubts that he will recover.
Not sure if serious.

Schumacher gifted $10m in a bat of an eye when the Tsunami hit.

Estimated worth of half a billion dollars.

$2-$3m a year in medical expenses would be covered by their petty cash float.
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #186
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

My guess is he'd have some kind of private health insurance he would be currently claiming on right now as it is. Chances are he isn't even touching his personal funds to pay for his rehabilitation.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #187
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ahh the sanctity of human life and more importantly a celebrity humans life! Quantity over quality.
Don't wish the scenario on anyone, well not many people, and of course during the media blackout we have little information to go on, to base any opinion on. But sometimes what is not said provides just as good a basis for opinion and even more damage could occur than good.

Assuming he is a vegetable, which is my position, the last thing the family would want is the image of the 'once great' MS being tarnished with images or knowledge of his fate, Muhammad Ali, izzy Osborne style.

If he is still in a coma with little likelihood of awakening and the family is holding on for a miracle, which is unlikely and more so the longer it lasts perhaps they need look at themselves and ask what quality of life has the man got? perhaps they are holding out for insurance or some other contractual issue, perhaps they are devout to some deity where life is better than no life...but what is life.
We shoot dogs, and high earning race horses why not old drivers.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2014, 06:34 PM   #188
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Ahh the sanctity of human life and more importantly a celebrity humans life! Quantity over quality.
Don't wish the scenario on anyone, well not many people, and of course during the media blackout we have little information to go on, to base any opinion on. But sometimes what is not said provides just as good a basis for opinion and even more damage could occur than good.

Assuming he is a vegetable, which is my position, the last thing the family would want is the image of the 'once great' MS being tarnished with images or knowledge of his fate, Muhammad Ali, izzy Osborne style.

If he is still in a coma with little likelihood of awakening and the family is holding on for a miracle, which is unlikely and more so the longer it lasts perhaps they need look at themselves and ask what quality of life has the man got? perhaps they are holding out for insurance or some other contractual issue, perhaps they are devout to some deity where life is better than no life...but what is life.
We shoot dogs, and high earning race horses why not old drivers.

JP
Wow. Might be a crazy idea but I'd imagine it'd be hard for his family to simply put him down as your suggesting. Most people never want to give up hope, and just keep hoping that their loved one will come right, its not unheard of for people to come out of comas and still be able to live a good life. And that's the thing here, how do you just put a loved one down when theres always a chance they'll wake up?
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2014, 12:37 AM   #189
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKnee View Post
Wow. Might be a crazy idea but I'd imagine it'd be hard for his family to simply put him down as your suggesting. Most people never want to give up hope, and just keep hoping that their loved one will come right, its not unheard of for people to come out of comas and still be able to live a good life. And that's the thing here, how do you just put a loved one down when theres always a chance they'll wake up?
Your right its not unheard of, it is however also more common that they don't come out of coma, or are vegetative or achieve at best a minimally conscious state, these are the most likely outcomes rather than a full recovery after all this time.
I have no qualms about ending a vegetative life that is dependent on machines for survival. I believe it is better, for the surviving family to start the mourning process rather than live in a falsified state of hope.
Lets not let the fact he is many peoples hero cloud a judgement call.
Of course I do not know MS's state, the family has not released any detail. However some news is leaking through associates and 'friends' and the prognosis is seemingly not good. The 'Language' of the official releases, despite the translation into English is not hopeful given what we do know about his scenario.
I value quality of life over Quantity for both the victim and the survivors, It is hard to switch the machines off, and I am sure if it comes to it the family will make the right decision, I'm not trying to advise them, but simply ask, given what i read into the story, whats going on.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2014, 12:55 AM   #190
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I value quality of life over Quantity for both the victim and the survivors, It is hard to switch the machines off, and I am sure if it comes to it the family will make the right decision, I'm not trying to advise them, but simply ask, given what i read into the story, whats going on.

JP
What if, 20 years down the track, medical science advances to the point where such injuries can be healed?

You might want to choose to turn the machine off - and indeed, you might very well have told your closest relatives to turn the machine off if you're ever living on life support. But that is your choice. Do not presume that other people feel the same way.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2014, 09:09 AM   #191
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He could stay hooked up to a machine until Yoda`s age. 180k per week in medical expenses is nothing to him.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #192
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Of course I do not know MS's state, the family has not released any detail. However some news is leaking through associates and 'friends' and the prognosis is seemingly not good.
It doesn't help when some friends say the prognosis is not good, while others say they see him making a full recovery. I don't think the family are helping here at all ... they want privacy, and don't want speculation and intrusion, fair enough. So put out a release with a truthful account of his state. No matter how bad. People will move on and leave the family in peace.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2014, 09:42 PM   #193
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
It doesn't help when some friends say the prognosis is not good, while others say they see him making a full recovery. I don't think the family are helping here at all ... they want privacy, and don't want speculation and intrusion, fair enough. So put out a release with a truthful account of his state. No matter how bad. People will move on and leave the family in peace.
But people (as in, the general public) don't have a need or a right to know. His medical status is none of anyone else's business except himself and those close to him. His family has no obligation to make any releases whatsoever.
6 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2014, 09:47 PM   #194
prydey
Rob

Quote:
But people (as in, the general public) don't have a need or a right to know. His medical status is none of anyone else's business except himself and those close to him. His family has no obligation to make any releases whatsoever.

exactly!
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2014, 10:46 PM   #195
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
His family has no obligation to make any releases whatsoever.
Of course not. But as a result, they're going to have to contend with dubious stories and people trying to find out what the truth is. Do they really want to be reading about wild speculation and worrying that the people they've sworn to secrecy might betray them?
Old 08-11-2014, 11:00 PM   #196
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They don't have an obligation as such, but he is a public figure which means there is public interest in all things Schumacher. If they're happy with speculation the. Fine but if they want to be left alone then they have to do their own controlled releases. Would probably be easier for them that way anyway...!
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2014, 03:43 AM   #197
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
They don't have an obligation as such, but he is a public figure which means there is public interest in all things Schumacher. If they're happy with speculation the. Fine but if they want to be left alone then they have to do their own controlled releases. Would probably be easier for them that way anyway...!
No, they don't.

The family have asked for privacy, so why can't people leave well enough alone?
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #198
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No, they don't.

The family have asked for privacy, so why can't people leave well enough alone?
Because he's a public figure. With fame comes personal interest. You didn't see him or his family asking for privacy when he was winning every race, or when every second F1 fan was buying his merchandise. His wealth was built from the very same people who are hounding them now. gotta take the good with the bad...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #199
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

The longer this goes on, the less hope there is for his recovery.
Just look at Chi Cheng of the Deftones who suffered a similar type of brain injury.

He was in a car accident in 2008, and remained in a minimally conscious state until April 13th last year, when his heart finally gave out.
Over that time he suffered a series of infections and pneumonia.

By the time he died he was able to track individual people with his eyes, occasionally make worded responses, and slightly move his hands, as well as having the ability to move his legs on command.
However, he was unable to move independently or speak in sentences.

Sadly, it seems that this is the path Schumacher is on as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZnyEknRbY4
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2014, 10:20 PM   #200
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
... hell, even Bernie Ecclestone might.
Bernie?

Donate?

His own money?

If you switch off, you'll never know if you got it wrong, dead is dead and there is no coming back.

My sister was in a coma for six weeks some years ago and she recovered well enough to live independantly, maintain and develop her marriage and enjoy her kids.

If she had been in a coma for an extended period of time and the doctor's advice was to switch off, I would have agreed to it.

Quality of life is important to us all in different ways but being just alive enough to not switch off the machine is the worst possible scenario.

Keep fighting Michael.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2014, 10:28 PM   #201
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Because he's a public figure. With fame comes personal interest. You didn't see him or his family asking for privacy when he was winning every race, or when every second F1 fan was buying his merchandise. His wealth was built from the very same people who are hounding them now. gotta take the good with the bad...
Actually he did, he was fiercely protective over his family during and after his F1 career. He objected to his family being interviewed or photographed. He was ok with himself being hassled for the exact reason you state, that he was in the public eye.

This situation is different too, it is a medical and personal issue and has nothing to do with his racing career. He should be provided privacy from anyone except those his family allow. It is no one's business and no one has the right to demand updates.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:06 PM   #202
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
His professional life is public. Not his personal life. Everyone is entitled to keep their professional and personal life separate; everyone is entitled to privacy.

As he has retired from his professional life, he and his family should be left alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy
Bernie?

Donate?

His own money?

That's why I said "might"
3 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #203
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why is it costing $180k a week? Doesn't Germany have free health care?
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2014, 11:37 PM   #204
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

PS: he lives in Switzerland
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2014, 11:39 PM   #205
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503 View Post
PS: he lives in Switzerland
Yes but doesn't all of Europe have free health care?
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2014, 02:40 AM   #206
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZ View Post
Why is it costing $180k a week? Doesn't Germany have free health care?
Not when you have your own team of doctors and room(s) setup with your own equipment/etc.
Old 20-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #207
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsp...ed-says-friend

Michael Schumacher is paralysed and still has difficulty with his speech and memory almost a year after a freak skiing accident, good friend and former Formula One driver Philippe Streiff says.

Streiff, a Frenchman, was seriously injured in pre-season testing for a race in Brazil in 1989, leaving him a quadriplegic and confined to a wheelchair ever since.

"It's very difficult. He can't speak. Like me, he is in a wheelchair, paralysed. He has memory problems and speech problems," Streiff is reported to have told French radio.

Schumacher's family have released very little information to the media about the former world champion's accident.

What is known is that the accident happened on December 29, 2013, with doctors performing head surgery later that day and again on December 31 to relieve pressure on Schumacher's brain. He was then placed in an induced coma for almost six months.

In June, Schumacher left intensive care at Grenoble Hospital in France and was transferred to Lausanne Hospital in Switzerland for rehabilitation.

He is now being cared for at his home on the shores of Lake Geneva by his wife and private medical staff.

* F1 driver Jules Bianchi out of artificial coma

Schumacher's spokeswoman Sabine Kehm would not confirm or deny Streiff's comments, saying only that "he did not have contact with us" and that the comments were "his opinions".
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #208
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASYBOSS View Post
Schumacher's spokeswoman Sabine Kehm would not confirm or deny Streiff's comments, saying only that "he did not have contact with us" and that the comments were "his opinions".
this.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #209
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Whatever the case, he is clearly not well and may never fully recover.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2015, 12:50 AM   #210