Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-01-2015, 08:22 PM   #211
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Schumacher critical

saw an article somewhere not sure where now the other day that said he cries at the sound of his wife or kids speaking not sure how true though

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2015, 08:36 PM   #212
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL] View Post
saw an article somewhere not sure where now the other day that said he cries at the sound of his wife or kids speaking not sure how true though
If true then that's quite heart breaking really.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2015, 11:16 PM   #213
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
If true then that's quite heart breaking really.
It may mean he is not fully a vegetable and is aware of what is going on around him.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2015, 12:06 AM   #214
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Updated page on Michael

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formul...ews-f1-4911629
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina

Last edited by uniacidz; 06-01-2015 at 12:18 AM.
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2015, 12:17 AM   #215
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post

I'll add the text from the link Syndrome posted.

Quote:

Michael Schumacher ‘cries when he hears wife, kids’

This story was published: 03 January, 2015

FORMULA One legend Michael Schumacher reportedly cries when he hears the voices of his loved ones a year after a ski accident left him in a coma.

Italian newspaper Corriere della Serra says Schumacher is moved to tears when he hears familiar sounds.

“Schumi cries. And sometimes mysteriously,” journalist Giorgio Terruzi. “He cries when he hears his children, his wife’s voice, his dogs. In the silence of that room, a tear runs down his thin face at a known sound.

Last week fellow former driver Philippe Streiff said the seven-time Formula One champion “was starting to recognise those closest to him”.

Schumacher, who turns 46 today, is rehabilitating at home in Lake Geneva, Switzerland, alongside his wife Corinna, daughter Gina Maria and son Mick.

He emerged from an induced coma in June, and recovered enough to leave hospital in September nine months after suffering severe head injuries in a ski accident in the French Alps

Sabine Kehm, Schumacher’s manager, said she would not believe everything that is written about Schumacher’s condition.

“I do not know where Mr Streiff has got his information,” she said. “He has no contact with us and he never has.”
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2015, 12:25 AM   #216
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This article from the SMH from the 27th December, 2014 is possibly a bit more balanced.

Quote:

Michael Schumacher's greatest battle continues as fans wait in hope

Date: 27 December, 2014
Jens Marx

Just as in previous years, he wanted to spend a few days skiing to celebrate the new year and his birthday with friends.

But a fall at the Meribel ski resort in France changed the life of Michael Schumacher and his loved ones in the most dramatic fashion.

Even a year after the tragic accident on December 29, 2013, it remains unclear whether Schumacher will ever recover enough to lead any semblance of a normal life.

"It is not possible to give any kind of reliable prognosis," Schumacher's manager Sabine Kehm said recently.

Schumacher hit his head on a rock while skiing and spent the next days in a critical condition in hospital, followed by months in an induced coma in Switzerland.

His helmet was destroyed as a result of the crash and the seriousness of Schumacher's condition only became apparent the following day when he was admitted to the University Clinic Hospital in Grenoble.

The expressions on the faces of the doctors treating Schumacher spoke volumes. His condition was described as "extremely critical" as the world learned that the seven-time world champion had sustained multiple brain injuries.

Schumacher's fight for life unleashed deep emotions worldwide with regular television programming regularly interrupted to give updates on his condition.

The media circus that developed led wife Corinna to issue a written statement a week later, calling for the driver's medical team and family to be left in peace so they could deal with the situation.

Schumacher was still fighting for his life on January 3, 2014, when he celebrated his 45th birthday, with the tragedy casting a shadow over the start of tests for the new F1 season.

"We are praying, wishing and hoping that a miracle takes place so that he wakes up the same person he once was," said compatriot and friend Sebastian Vettel at the end of January.

Over 10 months later, on the 20th anniversary of Schumacher claiming his first F1 title, Vettel was on hand to present the Millennium-BAMBI award to Schumacher's wife in recognition of the driver's excellent services and for inspiring his countrymen.

"It's my friendship with him that makes me so happy and proud, but also so sad," said Vettel.

"I had so wished that we would be able to give you this award personally."

Schumacher's legion of fans are still writing letters as well as sending get well wishes on Twitter and Facebook. The sport of Formula 1 is also still thinking of the man who enjoyed 91 race wins in a stellar career.

When Lewis Hamilton secured this year's drivers' championship in Abu Dhabi, Daimler boss Dieter Zetsche remembered the German legend when looking back on a memorable season for his team.

"We should not forget the contribution Michael made to this success," he said.

Schumacher drove for Mercedes for three years from 2010 to 2013, offering his vast experience just as he done previously done for the Ferrari research team.

In a uniquely successful career, Schumacher secured 68 pole positions on his way to seven world championship crowns. He suffered his worst racing accident in 1999, when he broke his leg at Silverstone.

Schumacher also suffered neck injuries in a motorcycle accident in Cartagena 10 years later, forcing him to call off a comeback with Ferrari as a replacement driver for the injured Felipe Massa.

It remains unclear whether Schumacher will ever recover significantly enough to live a relatively normal life, never mind get behind the wheel of a racing car.

The 45-year-old spent months in an induced coma until it was announced on June 16 that he had regained consciousness.

The father of two has continued his rehabilitation at home since September and his family have made clear from the beginning that no details will be revealed about his condition.

"However, he has a long and difficult road in front of him," manager Kehm revealed at the time.

She also confirmed recently that virtually all of Schumacher's sponsors have remained loyal to the driver, even a year after his tragic accident.

"Our concept was always to work together personally on a partnership and friendship level," Kehm told dpa.

"This togetherness is showing itself now."
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorsport/michael-schumachers-greatest-battle-continues-as-fans-wait-in-hope-20141227-12e9b2.html
Old 06-01-2015, 05:29 PM   #217
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
This article from the SMH from the 27th December, 2014 is possibly a bit more balanced.
he also confirmed recently that virtually all of Schumacher's sponsors have remained loyal to the driver, even a year after his tragic accident.

"Our concept was always to work together personally on a partnership and friendship level," Kehm told dpa.

Like I said, no bad news released so the money keeps rolling in!

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2015, 12:44 AM   #218
yakcam
I drank what?

Just an afterthought, but is there a chance that the helmet manufacturer of the helmet be liable to some degree?
Old 07-01-2015, 01:03 AM   #219
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
he also confirmed recently that virtually all of Schumacher's sponsors have remained loyal to the driver, even a year after his tragic accident.

Like I said, no bad news released so the money keeps rolling in!

JP
I agree the control of information and the non-release of bad news is a planned strategy.

Still even if bad news does eventuate, no big company with a huge marketing/sponsorship budget is going to be seen to walk away from something like this.

At the very worst it would be a slow exit over an extended time period.

He still has a strong fan base and marketable presence and without sounding morbid, so will he in death.

He wouldn’t be the first celebrity or sporting hero that has continued to be a very profitable and marketable cash cow long after their demise.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:39 AM   #220
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakcam View Post
Just an afterthought, but is there a chance that the helmet manufacturer of the helmet be liable to some degree?
Unlikely as the helmet failed because of the camera on it.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 07-01-2015, 08:52 AM   #221
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakcam View Post
In post 170-174 I raised the question of how the GoPro he was wearing could have caused his severe injury due to possible incorrect mounting of the camera.

I personally think we will hear more about this down the track...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #222
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

And the wife sells the jet plane for millions

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsp...for-50-million
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2015, 04:13 PM   #223
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASYBOSS View Post
And the wife sells the jet plane for millions

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsp...for-50-million
Which confirms Michael is in a vegetative state and will remain so for the remainder of his life. Sad.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 10-05-2015, 04:18 PM   #224
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Which confirms Michael is in a vegetative state and will remain so for the remainder of his life. Sad.
I've told my wife if I am in an accident and end up like that, to turn the machines off.....that is not life (IMO).
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2015, 04:37 PM   #225
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Its still hard to belive that Michael is in such a condition, every time I open this thread I expect to read of some hugely positive news and its yet to come, so very sad for him and his family.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2015, 05:50 PM   #226
prydey
Rob

Quote:
whilst it does look like a real possibility, i will remain forever hopeful that it is not the case.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2015, 06:20 PM   #227
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As above, i dont think he will be able to pop out of this state.

If he isnt out of it now, then probably wont be.

Sad indeed and if non essential assets being sold off as well, then Corinna also understands and expects that they wont be using them no more.

Life, can be cruel sometimes.
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2015, 06:51 PM   #228
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spare a thought for Jules Bianchi and his family also.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2015, 07:00 PM   #229
yakcam
I drank what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Spare a thought for Jules Bianchi and his family also.
Will do! (quietly fires up Google)

Cheers!
Old 10-05-2015, 09:57 PM   #230
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

C'mon guys don't give up, you were all so adamant he was/would be fine. Let him live!

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2015, 11:23 PM   #231
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Terribly sad for Schumi and his family.

Unfortunately maximum recovery from brain injury occurs by some 18 months, and by 24 months you reach a plateau in recovery....

For his wife she now needs to deal with the reality- which apparently is 24 hour care that would involve rostered teams of medically trained carers-probably 3 shifts round the clock.

Very very expensive, and his wife needs to be practical about the reality of their situation. Will involve moving him physically to avoid livedo sores, and to reduce lung infections/pneumonia which can be a problem lying down too much-fluid fills the lungs.

Very sad all round and I hope his wife gets strength from their children...

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2015, 12:49 AM   #232
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...s-care-6638512

Quote:
F1 legend Michael Schumacher's care costs total £10million as former driver's battle continues following skiing accident

The racing hero was in a coma for six months following the horrifying accident in December 2013 that nearly claimed his life.

F1 hero Michael Schumacher's care costs have reportedly risen to £10million following a horror skiing accident that left him in a coma.

The racing legend came out of the coma six months later, and since then the full state of his condition has been kept under wraps as he continues his recovery.

It is understood that his care costs have dented his £300million fortune £100,000 each week after a state of the art treatment facility was installed in his Swiss mansion home.

Schumacher was placed in an artificial coma after smashing his head onto rocks while skiing at the French Alpine resort of Meribel.

The star spent 159 days in the coma before moving to the Lausanne rehabilitation clinic.

He then left to continue his care at home with his his doting wife Corinna.

The 46-year-old is surrounded by a 15-strong medical team, tasked with providing him round-the-clock care.

While in his coma, he lost a quarter of his bodyweight, leaving him weighing in at just eight and-a-half stone.

Professor Curt Diehm, of the Karlsbad teaching hospital in Germany, said: "While a weight loss in coma patients is normal, 20 kilos is a lot for people with normal body weights.

"One must assume that his muscles have degraded greatly due to the immobility."

Alongside their teenage children Mick and Gina Marie, Schumacher's loving wife Corinna has managed to keep the family out of the spotlight despite the celebrity sporting star being struck by tragedy.

Speaking of his wife before the accident, Schumacher said: "It is not so easy to find a partner who unconditionally adapts to the pace of my life."

And it was just days before the crash that the seven-times Formula One World Champion told how important his wife is in his life.

He even said they had never had a serious argument.

"It’s because we shared the same values," he said.

"During all the time I was racing she was my guardian angel."

In the days that followed the horror accident, an insider said: "All the models, the groupies, the sex-on-legs pit-stop girls never meant a thing to Michael.

"Corinna was a small-town girl like he was a small-town boy, both from the same end of the country.

"They truly married their souls as well as their bodies. He doesn’t know she’s in the room with him in Grenoble but all the time that positive love is flowing into him. No one loves him more than Corinna.

"If he should not come through this, then life as she knows it will also end. She could never love again."

In February it emerged that the couple had sold their Norwegian holiday home for £2million.

The mountain home, situated north of Oslo in Trysil, was a cherished family getaway for the racing star, who used it as a holiday home since the 1990s.

Of his recovery, Sabine Kehm, Schumacher’s manager, has said: "We need a long time.

"He is making progress appropriate to the severity of the situation."
I wonder what progress he has made?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2015, 12:53 AM   #233
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...s-care-6638512

I wonder what progress he has made?
Wtf is a "stone"? I think my grandmother used to refer to her weight in those terms. Aren't we in 2015 now?
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2015, 01:32 AM   #234
metalmania

1 Stone is just over 6 kg.. It is an imperial weight measurement.
metalmania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2015, 01:37 AM   #235
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

8 and a half stone is about 54kg
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2015, 02:42 AM   #236
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm pretty sure that the USA is the only country left on earth that still uses imperial, and they use pounds, not stone.

By the way, my car weighs 240 stone. I just learned this today.
Old 16-10-2015, 02:43 AM   #237
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Pretty sure the UK measures in Stone still.
Old 16-10-2015, 02:53 AM   #238
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just checked a few UK car sites. They all list vehicle curb weight in kg, not stone.
Old 16-10-2015, 02:54 AM   #239
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

large weight like that ... yeah I think they use kilo ... but personal/human weights have heard stone used.
Old 16-10-2015, 03:01 AM   #240
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I still have a very clear memory of people being weight in stones and pounds.

I started playing Rugby League in the 4 stone 7's. (28.5kg)

You've all made me feel old.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: