Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 11-04-2014, 09:37 PM   #1
hawkeye66
Starter Motor

Default 1.6 duratec dud

Hi i have a 2007 WQ fiesta with 97000 on the clock witch i have owned since december 2013.First thing to fail was the ac compressor,cost over $1000 to fix,then one week later cam belt tensioner fails causing catastrophic engine damage with the need to replace the whole engine.Is this common to this model or this engine in particular?

hawkeye66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 1.6 duratec dud

We had our 2004 Fiesta with 1.6 Duratec for 3 years & just had 100,000km, a small issue with oil consumption seems to have been fixed with a change of grade, in discussion with our mechanic. All his comments and tests showed the unit to be very solid.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did 110000in a 2007 -no issues whatsoever.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #4
sneeky
Starter Motor

Had the compressor go on the Mrs WQ Fiesta with about 40k km, expensive and annoying but what was worse was that for the last year the Fiesta has had an intermittent but consistently getting worse issue where it wouldn't start, constant stalling after start, but once driving never failed, ran perfectly.

Has been to various mechanics, including Ford who could replicate the issue, many parts replaced by default, but because it never threw a code couldn't pinpoint the fault.

Anyway, I put two and two together, took a punt and bought a second hand throttle body, fitted the part myself, fixed the problem. So if anyone has weird starting issues that can't be resolved on the Fiesta, think about the throttle body.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #5
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeky View Post
Had the compressor go on the Mrs WQ Fiesta with about 40k km, expensive and annoying but what was worse was that for the last year the Fiesta has had an intermittent but consistently getting worse issue where it wouldn't start, constant stalling after start, but once driving never failed, ran perfectly.

Has been to various mechanics, including Ford who could replicate the issue, many parts replaced by default, but because it never threw a code couldn't pinpoint the fault.

Anyway, I put two and two together, took a punt and bought a second hand throttle body, fitted the part myself, fixed the problem. So if anyone has weird starting issues that can't be resolved on the Fiesta, think about the throttle body.
We had weird starting issues in our WP like that. Turned out battery was dead. Replaced and hasn't missed a beat since. (4 years ago we replaced the battery)
Old 05-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
sneeky
Starter Motor

All of the usual suspects like battery, o2 sensor, coolant sensor, plugs, fuel filter, replaced and the original throttle body was inspected and cleaned as well. The thing that annoyed was although the throttle body (maybe it was the TPS which is built into the TB) was stuffed yet the damn ECU never not once threw a code, everyone one said, nah it can't be the throttle body.

The Fiesta drove beautifully when it was going but intermittently and more often than not of late, the Fiesta wouldn't run from start up, constant stalling and you could end up stranded for any period of time anywhere until the car decided it would work again. I would have traded the thing in but the offer I got was so low ball I was offended, thankfully issue resolved, pays to learn stuff yourself sometimes.
Old 18-06-2014, 08:38 PM   #7
Bowser22

171, 000k of abuse and neglect and still going strong. Was the missus car before we bought the Terri and it's now my daily drive. I fang the bejesus out of the clutch and it keeps taking it
Bowser22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #8
WQfiesta
Starter Motor

Hi Fiestaz and sneeky, same here our 2008 WQ from new has been a dream. Then very intermittently would refuse to start after a long drive and/or a very hot day when left for a few minutes, thought heat soak of a sensor was the culprit as leaving the car for 20-30 minutes and it fire up and run no issuses. Did the usual pull all the EFI and ignition connectors off looking for corrosion, etc carried around test gear for sensor and fuel pressure testing to try and pinpoint with sensor it was before changing anything for the heck of it. Then it did it after a warm short trip, turned out armed with a multimeter although it was cranking fine (the speed and sound of the cranking was normal) if the cranking voltage was 8.5v or less it would not fire I could replicate non starting by loading the battery with headlights on and get it to not start then jump start with my 2000 courier and with a cranking voltage of 10v instant start. Also caused the hunting idle on restart when the battery voltage was low but enough to start. The alternator is charging at 13.8v too, was the original battery figures. P.S. I have done 110000km on the couriers clutch and that was after I bought it second hand with 95000km on it shes a battleaxe of a ute but I love it. Hope this helps fellow fiesta owners cheers.

Last edited by WQfiesta; 19-03-2016 at 10:12 AM.
WQfiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2016, 11:54 AM   #9
WQfiesta
Starter Motor

Just an update with the not restarting when hot, went and bought a battery Supercharge gold plus MF53 650cca $159 Autobarn, slightly too big for the the battery box (meant to be a MF44 510cca $169) but with a bit of cut and shut in like Flynn and whoa lookout Tesla this thing spins. The original Ford battery was be it silver calcium only 390cca, and no nil starting issuses hot cold night day in fact anytime f%&kyea. Cheers Andrew. P.S. if you trawl the web for Fiesta faults you come across a site teamBHP from India or something and they talk about the MAP sensor as a possible fault for their problem they forget to mention that this sensor is a combined MAP (manifold absolute pressure) AND IAT (intake air temperature sensor). The black bulb in the middle is the thermistor NTC (negative temperature coeifficent) for the IAT and the diaghram for the MAP is in the housing, cheers.
WQfiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post