Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-12-2007, 08:32 PM   #31
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

replace the rear rotors. with the new drum the noise goes or it did in mine
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 08:36 PM   #32
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

I have a solution for this!!

nar I dont lol, Im in the same boat as everyone else
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 08:39 PM   #33
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

I think the best solution is to replace handbrake with genuine Ford Wheel Chocks. I think they should come as standard with all falcons.
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 09:29 PM   #34
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the solution is remove the rear rotors so you can access the h/brake shoes....remove shoes and put a shamfer all the way around the shoe and scuff up shoe with sandpaper....reinstall with good quality high temp grease on the back of were it contacts the backing plate and were it clips in....back adjuster off right of inside cab and reinstall rotor making sure it is ok (machine or replace if worn) adjust h/barake up at rear wheels (adjust until you cant turn rotor and then back/off two or three clicks....then readajust in cab lever should come up 6 clicks....all done...this is what ford do....
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 09:39 PM   #35
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is the Ford method a permanent fix, or will it eventually come back?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 09:46 PM   #36
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I was told by a mechanic at work that all you can really do is to make sure the handbrake is properly adjusted ?? and to also adjust the handbrake lever?? I can't argue against this as I haven't been able to get a hoist to raise it properly. I will soon cause I can't afford to have work do it... $100.00 a the least :O
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 10:46 PM   #37
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggaclint
the solution is remove the rear rotors so you can access the h/brake shoes....remove shoes and put a shamfer all the way around the shoe and scuff up shoe with sandpaper....reinstall with good quality high temp grease on the back of were it contacts the backing plate and were it clips in....back adjuster off right of inside cab and reinstall rotor making sure it is ok (machine or replace if worn) adjust h/barake up at rear wheels (adjust until you cant turn rotor and then back/off two or three clicks....then readajust in cab lever should come up 6 clicks....all done...this is what ford do....
A few blokes in the past have had the best success with this sort of method. One bloke (can't remember name) said that he jacked up the rear, took the rotors off, did the adjustment like you said, put the rotors back on and put the car in drive to actually test if they would rub with the rears spinning. Great if you have a hoist I reckon, but I wouldn't be confident in trying it.

The shamfer all the way round the edge of the shoe sounds like a good idea.

Maybe later in the holidays, I could give it a try with JC? LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 10:56 PM   #38
Mark One
A humorous statement

My handbrake was making a really loud squeal like noise. All I had to do was adjust it at the drum, and ta-da squeal free for me.

S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
not using the search button makes the baby jesus cry.
Mark One is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2007, 08:26 PM   #39
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator
Is the Ford method a permanent fix, or will it eventually come back?
it will eventually come back there is no permenant fix.....its a design fault magna,s are the same....but if your car is serviced correctly and the h/brake is adjusted properly you should have any problems...i did this fix to my car when i bought & have done 30odd thousand km without any noise.....they are basically just a drum brake so they need to be cleaned and adjusted every service really....its pretty easy to ( but i have access to a hoist)....
Old 30-12-2007, 02:04 AM   #40
iwannaford

I just get in, turn on ac make sure windows up, music playing, then release handbrake and proceed to reverse. No squeal for me.
iwannaford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2007, 01:39 PM   #41
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had this problem on mine i took the shoes off and ground a bit off the edges off lining and friction material and it has never squeeked again
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #42
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
replace the rear rotors. with the new drum the noise goes or it did in mine
This works sometimes. Camel Gas did this for me at around 200,000km and I had over 100,000km of squeak-free motoring. They were starting to squeak again just before I put new slotted BA rotors and BA calipers on... now they announce my presence 5 blocks away!

Both Kennedy Greentree in Singleton and Camel Gas reckon the drums go out of round causing the squeaking, surely a pair of DBA slotted rotors wouldn't come from the factory with ovoid drums????

When I had the rotors off I slackened off the cable at the handbrake lever and adjusted up the mechanism in the drum as I had no handbrake by then. I'll give Clint's fix a try sometime when I have to get under the back end.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2007, 02:59 PM   #43
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The issue with the brakes is common to all cars that run the same design - obviously AU and BA falcons, but also plenty of Magnas and commondores etc. Chamfering the edges can work (but not in all cases), and is worth a try as it's something you can do yourself.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2007, 10:03 PM   #44
sly
Sly like a G6

You'd think they'd have it sorted by now... I recall the VB Commodore's "top hat" disc/drum rear brake design was big news in 1978. Or is it to do with the brake linings being on a single band rather than 2 separate shoes like drum brakes used to have?
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 31-12-2007, 12:36 AM   #45
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
This works sometimes. Camel Gas did this for me at around 200,000km and I had over 100,000km of squeak-free motoring. They were starting to squeak again just before I put new slotted BA rotors and BA calipers on... now they announce my presence 5 blocks away!

Both Kennedy Greentree in Singleton and Camel Gas reckon the drums go out of round causing the squeaking, surely a pair of DBA slotted rotors wouldn't come from the factory with ovoid drums????

When I had the rotors off I slackened off the cable at the handbrake lever and adjusted up the mechanism in the drum as I had no handbrake by then. I'll give Clint's fix a try sometime when I have to get under the back end.
By 200k I'd say you would need to do the shoes at the same time
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2007, 01:20 AM   #46
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
You'd think they'd have it sorted by now...
you'd think hey..just look at the shudder problems ford and holden have had over the last 10yrs and the new ones still do it....and i bet the new falcon will do it too....
Old 31-12-2007, 09:50 AM   #47
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
By 200k I'd say you would need to do the shoes at the same time
Maybe that's why I had a good run out of the change at 200K, though not a lot of wear on the shoes I'd think, I only put the handbrake on after putting the stick in "P"... I've grown out of doing handbrake turns

Sleeper, anyone?