Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-06-2006, 01:04 PM   #1
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Default Clutch choices for a AU2 220kw XR8.

Need some help/advise guys. What aftermarket clutch choices is there for a AU2 220kw XR8 5spd? A friend has such a car and recently had his gearbox rebuild and clutch replaced with a (crappy) non genuine one. Since then the car shudders on take off and he thinks it's the clutch. He does not want to take it back to them as he's not happy with them at all.

So what does everyone recommend for a replacement clutch? He does give a little stick (as per broken gearbox).. but wants the factory smoothness he had before. If anyone can give me some advise on what he should get, and if possible, part numbers and price, it'll be much appreciated.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 04:28 PM   #2
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Do you know what brand the clutch is that he had put in. I had G&D fit an Xtreme clutch in my AU II v8 and it shudders a little but if you rev it a little harder it want shudder
have a look at this site for Xtreme http://www.xclutch.com.au
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 05:33 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Daikin H/D clutch is good - I had one in my manual AU1 XR8.
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 06:37 PM   #4
5 FTR 5
Made the 300 :0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 012
Need some help/advise guys. What aftermarket clutch choices is there for a AU2 220kw XR8 5spd? A friend has such a car and recently had his gearbox rebuild and clutch replaced with a (crappy) non genuine one. Since then the car shudders on take off and he thinks it's the clutch. He does not want to take it back to them as he's not happy with them at all.

So what does everyone recommend for a replacement clutch? He does give a little stick (as per broken gearbox).. but wants the factory smoothness he had before. If anyone can give me some advise on what he should get, and if possible, part numbers and price, it'll be much appreciated.
Was the flywheel machined if not this can cause the vibration.
Clutch go exedy or extreme.Ive got the exedy in mine and it works well.
Old 15-06-2006, 07:24 PM   #5
xd5.8l
Banned

Standard clutch is sufficient I reckon unless you don't know how to drive or love to abuse your car (burnouts). These things aren't that powerfull guys that you need a twin plate brass button clutch or some s$%t.
xd5.8l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 11:19 PM   #6
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exeedy are by Daikin. they make heavy duty clutches for your vehicle. I just put one in my pursuit with an extra 300kg of clamp pressure and it feels just like the factory deal. but they do reckon the proof of the pudding is in the way the fly wheel is machined. not done properly will result in shuddering on AU's with any replacement.
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 04:00 PM   #7
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RspecAU
Do you know what brand the clutch is that he had put in.
He doesn't know. The guys rebuilding the gearbox said a new clutch is needed and he just said ok. They gave him the option of Fords price or aftermarket and he chose aftermarket (much cheaper apparently).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Daikin H/D clutch is good - I had one in my manual AU1 XR8.
JC, do you know price part #? How did the Daikin feel compared to the factory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by howesy
Exeedy are by Daikin. they make heavy duty clutches for your vehicle. I just put one in my pursuit with an extra 300kg of clamp pressure and it feels just like the factory deal.
Did you fit Exeedy or Daikin? Are they exactly the same clutch? Do you know price and part #?

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 04:12 PM   #8
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

I got an exedy HD clutch for my ute last year, and have been very happy with it, feels factory, but alot more clamp , i got a pretty good price apparently $400, then got it fitted and the flywheel machined for another $360
Old 16-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

[QUOTE=012]He doesn't know. The guys rebuilding the gearbox said a new clutch is needed and he just said ok. They gave him the option of Fords price or aftermarket and he chose aftermarket (much cheaper apparently).

JC, do you know price part #? How did the Daikin feel compared to the factory?

[QUOTE]
Don't know part number, but Ford replacement clutch was $1300, the Daikin cost me $700. That's fully fitted, flywheel machined, the lot. This was back in 2001/2002, so the parts/labour may have gone up a bit since then (fuel certainly has, lol). Tuggeranong Transmission and Brakes did mine (ph 02 6293 1802), they might be worth a call just to get a price that you can use to "shop around". The clutch felt heaps better, as the old one was slipping to buggery. As for pedal feel, I would say a little heavier, than before but not too bad. This is going off memory from 3 years ago though!
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post