Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-03-2005, 12:38 AM   #1
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Default AU steering rack recall, who's done it?

Who has been to Ford for the recall? I'm not sure if I want to take the TS50 to Ford to get it "fixed".Received my third letter from Ford on Friday about taking the TS50 to have the recall work done. What I've heard and read is that after the work has been performed, it'll make the steering rack almost impossible to be removed by itself. Also heard of a few racks been stuffed by the technicians when carrying out the work and needing replacment. So what is everyones thoughts? Is it as bad as the recall letter makes it out to be? Is it worth doing?

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-03-2005, 01:43 AM   #2
buickman
buickman

Had mine done months ago by Knox Ford. No issues with the work performed.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 04:06 AM   #3
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Had mine done and it seems so far that any worries about the work that gets done to the car are unwarranted. No probs here.

Has Fez and XB.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 04:17 AM   #4
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

My brother inlaw had his done on his AU1 XR6 and has had no issues.
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 06:31 AM   #5
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

I got a letter from Ford on Friday aswell (via Registered Post) "3rd and FINAL notice". I had an appt last year but cancelled it because of all the negative things I heard from people that took theirs in to have it done. I have enough issues with the car as it is - the absolute last thing I need now is for something to go wrong after I take it in.

I honestly don't know what to do used:
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 07:38 AM   #6
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

I had mine done by thomson ford in Sydney, even though i've had bad experiences with them in the past, i've had no problems with this, mine was done when the recall first came out. It's for your own safety, get it done.

Cheers,
Adrian

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 08:12 AM   #7
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

As far as I know, Its not the rack, its the bolts or fittings thats the trouble, Its only in AU1/2, AU 3 is not affected. Hope this helps........

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 08:37 AM   #8
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had the wife's wagon done a while ago. No issues and they did it while I waited - took a total of 20 mins...
Old 20-03-2005, 08:42 AM   #9
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Got my letter on Friday too. I'm holding off for the same reasons as Augzmk and Krissy.
What I think I'll do is get a mechanic I trust to insect it prior to any work being done to assure me the steering rack was in good condition. That way if it goes to crap I'll hopefully have someone to back my stry about Ford mechanics screwing yet another thing up.
As you may notice, I think Ford mechanics are incompetent, overpriced, fools and generally I wouldnt let then anywhere near my car. This of course is always a generalisation and I'm sure there are competent Ford mechanics.... I simply dont care to gamble on finding one.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 09:53 AM   #10
neil101
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They don't touch the rack they put a dab of weld on the stud on the x-member steering rack can still be removed. Had it done to my Dad AU XR when it was first recalled and to my ute, steering rack can still be removed no hassles replaced the rack on Dad's only last week. If you don't get it done what happens is the stud work it's way out the x-member and stripps the thread on it's way out which then means you need a x-member so get it done asap will be a lot cheaper in the long run. This has only happened to 1 AU but ford are just playing it safe. One of my customer is a technician at thompson ford he explained the whole thing to me nothing to worrie about you won't have any dramas.

Neil

Last edited by neil101; 20-03-2005 at 09:54 AM.
neil101 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 10:05 AM   #11
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

DO NOT TAKE IT TO FORD!!!!!

Get your mechanic to do the job!!!Put loctite on and leave the thing.

I had mine done ..they weld the bolt to the thread. Yes they did that and I got home to find power steering fluid everywhere.When I took it back they denied everything.."sir it must have been leaking from before"" . In the same breath I got quoted by them for another rack!!! The rack which they wrecked was only 7 months old!!

Also to remove the rack now with the recall the crossmember must be removed.

I dont want to label ford at all.But that was a bad experience.!! Finally its up to you what you choose.

If they were to to do a proffessional job they should remove the rack ,cross drill the thread and put on a castle nut with a split pin.But I do believe it is the easiest way out!!

My thoughts are take it to a proffessional mechanic not ford and get a proper solution to the problem. Dab of solder indeed!!!

Last edited by Stav; 20-03-2005 at 10:15 AM.
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 11:30 AM   #12
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

G'day everyone. This is my first entry as I just joined this morning!

I had my recall work done and it was fine. I've seen up close what it's all about and it's no big deal, pretty simple and quick to do. I cannot see how the work Ford does would alter the rack in any way as the rack itself doesn't appear to be touched.

I wouldn't hesistate to recommend you wait in getting it done.

Blessings.

George

Last edited by GK; 20-03-2005 at 11:33 AM.
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 12:21 PM   #13
SVR73
Mr Polish

Ford still think I have the AU1 forte which is now probably parts for somebody elses AU, especially the custom interior

Have yet to tell them that it was written off
Old 20-03-2005, 01:29 PM   #14
Scruba
15+ Years!

I had the AU1 Fairmont done and ever since the steering shudders over 90klm/hr.

Could be something else but only happened after the rack was fixed.

Work in progress

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7roViz57bb2Stkzx6
Scruba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 02:13 PM   #15
xceler8shun
Ford Fanatic

I had mine done 2 weeks ago,

A week later the clutch cable wore a hole through a power steering line and my mechanic had to reposition the clucth cable, so my mechanic told me.

Dont know if Ford service stuffed around with the clutch cable while doing the recall, but I only got problems after it went into them.
xceler8shun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 04:31 PM   #16
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont_Krissy
I got a letter from Ford on Friday aswell (via Registered Post)
Same here. Don't know why tho, seeing as I sent back their first letter they sent me stating I don't own the car no more _

SILHOUETTE AUII XR8
Leather, Premium sound, Momo S/wheel & gear knob, Sunroof, 20" Advanti Desires, Bulge, XR50 Front, Pacemaker extractors,
Ballistic cats, 2.5" cat back system, Rebel bar & skirts, XR scuff plates, Kings SL & SSL springs
XR8GRL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 05:05 PM   #17
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Don't suppose anyone's had it done at Westpoint Ford to give us an idea of how it went and if there were any problems afterwards??
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 07:10 PM   #18
LUXO_8
windsor user

my parents got a letter aaaages ago for their S2 Fairmont, and the car was checked and i think something replaced at the next service...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 07:29 PM   #19
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Oh man, I'm more confused than ever now. Interestingly, why is it just AUI's and not AUII/III's? I mean, the AUII/III's have the same aluminium crossmember and steering rack don't they? What did the AUII/III's have different to rectify this issue that the AUI's didn't. Surely it's not a dab of weld to the bolt and the crossmember? Why can't a AUI adapt whatever Ford did to the AUII/III's? Even if it costs a little bit more. Can't be that much of a difference I would think. I'm not too keen on this quick fix weld dab job offered by Ford. Seems exactly that, a quick fix.

I'll be writing a list of these questions and taking them to my closest Ford dealer for some answers. Unless someone knows the answers out there.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
Old 20-03-2005, 07:32 PM   #20
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

My brother got his done nps. It was a quick job... just a lose bolt that needed to be tightened i believe.
Old 20-03-2005, 07:40 PM   #21
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukey
just a lose bolt that needed to be tightened i believe.
Nope, a bit more to it than just tightening a loose bolt, but yes, it IS a quick job.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
Old 20-03-2005, 07:55 PM   #22
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Ok the problem which sparked the recall is this,

These bolts that attach the steering rack to the crossmemeber are studs. These studs are inserting into threaded holes in the cross member, loctite or similar was applied to the stud to prevent them from coming out. On the cross member is written the max torque that is to be applied when tightening the steering rack nuts. During servicing vehicles have bolts & nuts retightened, and these may have been tightened beyond the specified which destroys the loctite, so with vibration the studs can wind there way out. So i've been told by ford that what they are doing is checking to see if the projection of the stud from the crossmember is within specs. If it is, that are tack welding it in to prevent the possibility of it coming out, if it's not they will replace the stud then tack weld. This problem didn't affect the series 3 AU's because the method for fixing the studs had changed.

Sorry it was a bit long, but it think that it explains it.

My opinion, i can't stand ford service depts, they have stuffed me around so much, though i wouldn't muck around, there letter warns that this fault can lead to steering failure, they're not joking. But if you don't want ford doing it, well then have someone else come up with a solution are give it a go yourself.

Cheers,
Adrian

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC

Last edited by Au2falcons; 20-03-2005 at 08:06 PM.
Old 20-03-2005, 08:07 PM   #23
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hi peeps im just thought id put my 2 cent worth in . some years ago i used to be a dare i say it a FORD MECHANIC i think there is always a percentage of work done albeit small thats done less than perfect, and i would definatley say have a mechanic your own that you trust but before you get hostile its not always peeches and cream for the blokes that get covered in auto oil,diff oil crawl upside down under your dash or car to fix stuff,have can you imagine gettin a new car with 2 pages of dash rattles trim problems small gripes that take hours to do water leaks etc ,and your on time clock .dont put up with crappy work but think about the job that some poor smuk might be doing
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 08:20 PM   #24
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

hi mik, credit to all mechanics because they do have to do some nasty things, it's always easy for the consumer to complain and say 'fix it' though actually being the one to fix it is another story. The reason why i have been burnt by ford service is that my car was always returned with extra scratches, though that comes down to the individual working on the car. The main problem i had was with the people who run the service dept. the over the phone quote & the actual quote when you get there are totally different, the fact that they would always assume i new nothing about my car and didn't want listen to or believe a word i said. Customer service was the real let down.

got bit of topic there, this link is for a media release regarding the recall

http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_101795/newsarticle.html

Old 20-03-2005, 08:28 PM   #25
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Thanks for explaining that Adrian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Au2falcons
This problem didn't affect the series 3 AU's because the method for fixing the studs had changed.
Do you know what that method of fixing was?

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
Old 20-03-2005, 08:33 PM   #26
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

nope, i don't, i'll see if i can find out

Old 20-03-2005, 09:57 PM   #27
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au2falcons
nope, i don't, i'll see if i can find out
Okay, no prob's Au2falcons, let us know what you find out. I too will be heading to a Ford service center in the next couple of days with a few questions.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
Old 20-03-2005, 10:01 PM   #28
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I don't see what the problem is, Ford are giving the owner's of the affected vehicle's a free solution and people are not taking them up on this, they do not touch the steering rack at all, all they do is disconect the battery and put a dap (spot weld) on the end of the thread so the one bolt can not come off, if some people wan't to take the rack of latter it's just a matter of grinding of the small spot weld or end of the thread, it is a recall and should be carried out.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 10:20 PM   #29
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
I don't see what the problem is
Well the problem is that it's a QUICK FIX. I'd rather find out how they tackled this issue with AUII/III and see if that same method can be adopted to the AUI rack. You own an AUII, so probably don't have the same concerns as I do as your car is not effected with this problem. I'm in no way happy about welding something that was never meant to be welded, period. Even if it's a matter of as you say, grinding the spot weld off on a ALUMINIUM crossmember if the need for the rack to be replaced arises.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
Old 20-03-2005, 10:43 PM   #30
Psycho Chicken
Banned

How is it a quick fix?

The problem is that the loctite is useless if the stud is over torqued. All this is doing is using weld instead of loctite to hold the stud in place and I dare say weld is a hell of a lot stronger than a drop or two of loctite.

If you don't want Ford to do it, simple, go to a mechanic you can trust. If your mechanic can't do a simple spot weld....find a mechanic who actually knows his job.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post