Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 23-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
xf1101
cast iron is real steel!

Default drag falcon wheel alignment

G,day,
Question for the drag race only falcon owners out there if you don't mind.
How do you set the wheel alignment up or more to the point how much do you lift the front when you set the alignment?
Reason i ask is at static ride height i have 1/16" toe in , lift the front 2 " and the toe in goes to 1/2" and the camber pulls more negative camber.
My car runs 10.29 at 130mph, 3200 lbs and i know it has a fairly nose up attitude, i'd imagine whats important is the cars front ride height at the faster part of the track say 1/8" mile onward?
Thanks very much!
Cheers,
Paul

xf1101 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm interested in this as well, hope someone with the knowledge can shed some light
JG33RD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #3
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

To set the alignment up, with the "nose up" attitude, firstly, you'd need to know exactly how far up the nose really is, when the car is going down the track.

Sounds stupid I know, but to get it right, as by your explaination, that's what is really needed. Raising a car in the air, changes Camber, Caster and toe.

The best setting for the alignment, for your purpose, would be as much Caster as possible, for high speed stability, 0 camber and approximately 5MM toe in. This toe figure is a guestimate but. To set the toe correctly on the car, the aligner would have to push on the inside edges of front tyres and work out how much the toe is moving. From that figure, you'd set the toe, so it is at 0, with the front wheels pushed to their furtherest limits, as described.

Of course these settings are done, with the car raised, via the control arms to the actual height the car is at, when travelling down the track.

That's about the best I can come up with to answer your question properly

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
xf1101
cast iron is real steel!

G,day,
Thanks for the reply! so if for instance we do that at the height it is going down the track, and set it for 0 toe whilst we are pushing the wheels apart.
When we back off at the deep end and get on the brakes we will definently be toeing out , that isn't an issue?
Thanks again!
Paul
Old 27-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xf1101
G,day,
Thanks for the reply! so if for instance we do that at the height it is going down the track, and set it for 0 toe whilst we are pushing the wheels apart.
When we back off at the deep end and get on the brakes we will definently be toeing out , that isn't an issue?
Thanks again!
Paul
G'day Paul , set the toe @ 0mm and forget it ,you will notice how the front camber changes on a vehicle running sub 11 sec 1/4 ... with the weight transferred to the back you will have parasitic losses of drag which is what i think you are concerned about from 660 onwards yeh ??

The last thing you want in the top end is a heap of -toe out in the braking area at full speed weight transfer... she will dart left and right all over the place ..
Daz.
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
xf1101
cast iron is real steel!

Thanks Daz, thats basically what i have been thinking, just to set it to zero at the std ride height with me in it and forget aout it.
Cheers
This user likes this post:
Old 27-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Anytime brother ..
Old 27-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

When you are braking, the toe goes to toe in, not toe out. So a slight error made on 2 peoples behalf.

IMA. The toe change won't be really dramatic, as it's being made out to be and won't be an issue.

To see what sort of change you'll have, whilst it's on the hoist, grab the outside of both front wheels and push them towards each other. You'll probably have 3 to 5MM toe in.

To clarify the toe setting procedure, I'll try and explain it a bit better. By pushing the wheels outwards, you are simulating how much the wheels are being pushed, when the car is in motion. If you can get 5 MM as a toe out reading, by pushing the wheels outwards, by releasing the wheels, you then set the toe to 5MM toe in. That way, when the car is moving forward, you then have 0 toe, which is what you are ultimately aiming for.

Hope that clarifies it alot better

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
xf1101
cast iron is real steel!

G,day svo supporter,
Thanks for the reply, i don't follow you but when you say the wheels toe in when braking?
If i lift the chassis it toes in, if i sit on the ground with weight in it as it is now it toes out, i'd imagine hitting the brakes at speed will pull the front down and compress the front end more and toe out more?
Will have a play on the wheel aligner on wednesday or thursday.
Cheers
Paul
This user likes this post:
Old 16-02-2016, 10:13 PM   #10
Road Games

Default Re: drag falcon wheel alignment

so was svo right or not mate ?