Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-01-2020, 11:28 PM   #31
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: rego check failure and possible compensation, reprisal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
i,m supersized about the comments "what do you expect of thirty dollars?" Answer; I expect a safety inspection.
But that's not what she paid for. She paid for a pink-slip, she got a pink slip.
Quote:
cause that is what the inspection is about.
No, no its not.
This is not an inspection to tell you what may need fixing. The primary purpose is to answer a simple yes/no question. "Is the vehicle roadworthy at the time of inspection."
Quote:
to me it deosn,t make sense, i got pick up on one of my number plate lights not working, and the oil catch tray (just under oil filter on landcrusier 6cyl ) had spilled oil down the block, "oh its leaking oil he says", wtf (the 1hd fte engine is bullet proof, how dare you say that). then my friends machanic passes a dangerous ball joint, go figger. they just pick the easy, stupid faults.

It's hilarious that you apparently don't recognise your own double standards? You whinge because your car was failed for an actual defect, but you think your friend's car should have been failed for something that apparently wasn't defective at the time.

And here's the real rub. Had the mechanic said "I'm passing your vehicle, but one of the bj's is rattling and may need replacing before too long," would she have done anything about it?
3 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2020, 11:29 PM   #32
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
I think I know which tool you're talking about.
Mirror mirror on the wall who etc etc
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2020, 11:30 PM   #33
hayseed

Quote:

there are many people that expect and believe that its a proper safety inspection, non car people. charge $50, but do the job properly.

The $42 Fee Is the MAXIMUM that can be Charged for a Pink Slip..

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/reg...andinspections

I don't know the actual Vehicles or people involved here, So am in no position to pass judgement..

But as has been mentioned a lot can happen between October & now(Almost Feb) If you really think that an Injustice has been inflicted on your Friend ?

Have a Crack at Ol Mate, I'd be curious as to the Outcome..!!
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2020, 11:54 PM   #34
Pis-ton broke
Banned

i,m not going to add any further. its clear to me that there is little concern for this situation . that my friend has no repercussion for a bad rego check. i will to add , in all my years (and im gettin old), i,ve never know anybody to have a separated ball joint. and that "what do you expect for thirty dollars" . cause people don,t care.
i will advise her to get a proper safety check from pedders.

thanks for the input guys
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2020, 12:07 AM   #35
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
But that's not what she paid for. She paid for a pink-slip, she got a pink slip.

No, no its not.
This is not an inspection to tell you what may need fixing. The primary purpose is to answer a simple yes/no question. "Is the vehicle roadworthy at the time of inspection."

It's hilarious that you apparently don't recognise your own double standards? You whinge because your car was failed for an actual defect, but you think your friend's car should have been failed for something that apparently wasn't defective at the time.

And here's the real rub. Had the mechanic said "I'm passing your vehicle, but one of the bj's is rattling and may need replacing before too long," would she have done anything about it?
ive taken my landcrusier to the same shop for years, the number plate light has always been blinky, it depends who the machinic is, last year the light didn,t work, it was a young girl that was watching the light, she walked to the tailgate and gave it a bash and it turn on, ok she yells, i laughed inside, cause uptight blokes have picked on the light for years, and ive never changed it.

she needed a road worth.

"that apparently wasn't defective at the time". are you shore about that, did you inspect the car?

Last edited by Pis-ton broke; 26-01-2020 at 12:17 AM.
Old 26-01-2020, 12:46 AM   #36
hayseed

Quote:
ive taken my landcrusier to the same shop for years, the number plate light has always been blinky, it depends who the machinic is, last year the light didn,t work, it was a young girl that was watching the light, she walked to the tailgate and gave it a bash and it turn on, ok she yells, i laughed inside, cause uptight blokes have picked on the light for years, and ive never changed it.

she needed a road worth.

"that apparently wasn't defective at the time". are you shore about that, did you inspect the car?
Old 26-01-2020, 01:01 AM   #37
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
ha,ha thats anal, get a life. i mean , one guy says yes and one guy says no for a double light number plate light. who gives a f anyway?
Old 26-01-2020, 04:25 AM   #38
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When was the car last serviced?

The problem you describe should probably have been picked up then?

A service is when a mechanic typically has the car on a hoist and spends a deal of time visually checking under it for worn or damaged items that need attention.
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2020, 10:05 AM   #39
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I'm sorry but I wouldn't expect anything other than a badly worn ball joint to be picked up at an e-Safety check and even then I wouldn't be troubled if it failed months later given (1) the check certificate is only valid for 42 days anyway for exactly the reason that things do change; (2) I'm not a whining baby who believes the world owes me something and (3) a ball joint would need to be very badly worn to get picked up in a check that is supposed to ...

Check tyre quality and tread depth, working electrics such as headlights, indicators, interior lights and dash lights, vehicle body condition; engine/suspension/driveline assembly integrity, seatbelt condition, engine / driveline oil leaks and operation plus a brake efficiency test.

At the going dealership labour rate, the dealer retained portion of the e-Safety check represents about 15 minutes of technician time to complete the above with the brake test taking about 5 minutes of that.

The Victorian RWC check is no more comprehensive in terms of what it checks although it does include a windscreen test (about 3 minutes) and it costs between $100-150.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2020, 10:51 AM   #40
Nu66et
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RMS eSafety checks are valid for 6 months
Nu66et is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2020, 12:17 PM   #41
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Deleted.

Last edited by ozpacman; 26-01-2020 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Delete
ozpacman is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2020, 12:56 PM   #42
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
The Victorian RWC check is no more comprehensive in terms of what it checks although it does include a windscreen test (about 3 minutes) and it costs between $100-150.
I thought the Victorian RWC requires a full check when selling a car. ie complete underside inspection on hoist, wheels off, brake drums and or callipers removed and photos taken of everything. No yearly checks but when its time to sell it's tough.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-01-2020, 12:57 PM   #43
Pis-ton broke
Banned

my friend has just told me that she paid the machanic $1000 cash for repairs to the car , repairs to the steering i,m told , plus other stuff. so as to pass the car for rego, i think she got ripped off on workmanship, an lack of care.
Old 26-01-2020, 01:27 PM   #44
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^ just like feeding Christians to the lions.
$1K cash, no invoice ? Detailed list of repairs ? GST. ?
Seen it happen all the time to people who don't know any better. My family is full of them, and then they whinge about it after it is done, rather than take a deep breath and think about what is required or not..
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2020, 02:12 PM   #45
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
my friend has just told me that she paid the machanic $1000 cash for repairs to the car , repairs to the steering i,m told , plus other stuff. so as to pass the car for rego, i think she got ripped off on workmanship, an lack of care.
I’m assuming she has no invoice if it was a cashie, or you mean she has an invoice just paid with cash money rather than card etc?

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2020, 02:23 PM   #46
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
There's a lesson here to not take up cashies because you have no recourse.

If you're going to insist on cashies then the discount better be more than the GST component because you're assuming all the risk.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2020, 02:45 PM   #47
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
I’m assuming she has no invoice if it was a cashie, or you mean she has an invoice just paid with cash money rather than card etc?
there was a receipt. i was just repeating her words, "paid with cash"

i only mentioned it to show that she is a genuine customer that is seeking the services of a machanic for car repairs to pass rego.

as opposed to "here's $30, i need a pink slip"
Old 26-01-2020, 02:59 PM   #48
hayseed

Quote:
. who gives a f anyway?

You clearly Don't.. Otherwise you would've fixed the Light years ago..

Anyway happy Australia Day.

I'm done here..
2 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2020, 03:13 PM   #49
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
there was a receipt. i was just repeating her words, "paid with cash"

i only mentioned it to show that she is a genuine customer that is seeking the services of a machanic for car repairs to pass rego.

as opposed to "here's $30, i need a pink slip"
Ok so was not a cashie so goes part way of proving it was not a dodgy job.
What was actually done according to the invoice?

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2020, 03:23 PM   #50
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
Ok so was not a cashie so goes part way of proving it was not a dodgy job.
What was actually done according to the invoice?
thats a good question, i asked and sounds like a steering bush , replaced steering wheel and possible other stuff, the receipt has been filed, somewhere.
Old 26-01-2020, 03:29 PM   #51
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
I think you've over-simplified that. The NSW Pink Slip is basically a brief safety check, but does include a windscreen tint test & brake test printout.

It is the NSW Blue Slip which is the equivalent of the Victorian RWC. The Blue Slip is required for a car that is not currently registered, i.e. it has been off the road for a while or has come from interstate. It is a full mechanical check & identity check & costs around $62 currently. To do properly it takes the best part of an hour, which is why many mechanics are not interested in performing them.

I am an accredited RMS Pink Slip inspector & often quote the fact that I can do a full check as per the book & pass a car for a Pink Slip, then the owner can drive out of my workshop & say do a burnout or something that will attract the attention of the local copper & he can then defect the car off the road, citing items that don't even appear on my check list.

Can you believe that a Pink Slip inspection does not include reversing lights or windscreen washers ?

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2020, 07:42 AM   #52
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
thats a good question, i asked and sounds like a steering bush , replaced steering wheel and possible other stuff, the receipt has been filed, somewhere.
This thread is going nowhere, and suddenly we are discussing an unknown scope of work that was done to the same vehicle, also 3 months ago.

Suggest that this thread is stopped / locked. If the invoice is found and shows 'replaced lower ball joints' then a new thread could be started.
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #53
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
"It’s a safety inspection that says on the day it met the criteria to be deemed roadworthy" on that day it was rooted. a flogged out ball joint will show.

the ute is basicly an a to b daliy, @about 185km round trip per day, high way travel, mature woman driver.

i cant argue that the worn ball joint didn,t show signs of bad road manners, i will be telling my friend to be aware of poor road travel/handling. and waving my finger at her.
i,m point the finger at the "road worthy inspection" as she did rely on this to have her car checked for road safety.

i think i will tell her about this post and she will see that a rego check is not worth the paper its written on.
So at 185kms a day, 5 days a week over 10 weeks the car would have nearly done 10,000kms? That’s plenty of kms for something to wear out, or go wrong
Old 27-01-2020, 12:33 PM   #54
AngryBfXR6

I work in automotive spare parts, when mechanics call to order ball joints for different vehicles sometimes we get told why or what happened or maybe it's a warranty. Ball joints can fail without warning. Territory's, falcons, rodeo's, Navara's and hilux's all go through ball joints. We even sell oversized ball joints for taxis, cos the control arms fatigue or have too much play and the ball joints fall out.

Has the vehicle been lifted? Or big tyres? That can strain the ball joints and tie rod ends.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

210.8hp at the wheels
AngryBfXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2020, 09:39 PM   #55
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
i,ve never know anybody to have a separated ball joint.
Seriously? have a quick squizz in the Territory forums