Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Site Sponsor Forums - In Alphabetical Order > Blue Power Racing Developments

Blue Power Racing Developments The home of Blue Power. Website Link

Old 16-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 
Default Adjusting clutch in rev limit using xcal3

Hey guys i have a ba mk2 xr8 with a a six speed manual. Im planning on going to the AFF drags later in june. What im wondering is, using my XCal3, can i adjust the rev limit while the clutch pedal is pressed in while maintaining a different rev limit while the clutch is released?
If so is this a function of the xcal3 that can be unlocked and made user adjustable?

Thankyou in advance

Old 22-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 
Default Re: Adjusting clutch in rev limit using xcal3

Bump?
Old 22-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
Belial
Clevo Mafia Muscle Man

I had to read your question a few times before I realised what you were talking about...

Answer I assume will be NO as the rev limit is set electronically and the clutch is mechanical.

Daily
FPV GS Manual Sedan. (1 of 20)
now 360rwhp thanx to Blue Power Racing
"Global warming..." " I'm doing my part!"

Also a member of the Clevo Mafia.
You hit me, we hit you!
&
Metal Jacket Muscle Car Club
Belial is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial
I had to read your question a few times before I realised what you were talking about...

Answer I assume will be NO as the rev limit is set electronically and the clutch is mechanical.

I know about the electrics and mechanics just not the programming. I know the four speed autos had two rev limits- around 6000rpm in neutral, drive and reverse and a lower (3000rpm?) limit when in park.
What i want to do is set say a 3000rpm limit while the clutch is pushed in and as soon as its released set a 6800rpm limit. All the compenents are there including a clutch switch so its just a matter of programming.
Old 22-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

yes it can be done

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sweet!!! Is it a function that can be unlocked and made user adjustable?
Old 22-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The reason i want two rev limits is so when im sitting at the start lights i can hold full throttle and have the limiter hold it at 3000rpm then as soon as i dump the clutch the limiter sets at 6800rpm. Like what this msd unit does

http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedF...uctions(1).pdf
Old 22-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

do not think it would be user adjustable, it would need to be set by your tuner

Old 22-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmmm i would be very interested in this also... ill be watching. might talk to my tuner and see what they say
Old 22-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not quite as nice as I'd like, but no extra hardware was needed, just the tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxT5F...layer_embedded

Old 22-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^^ thats exactly it!!! Thanks champ!!
Old 23-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #12
Theo@BluePower
Bluepower
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XARATE
Hey guys i have a ba mk2 xr8 with a a six speed manual. Im planning on going to the AFF drags later in june. What im wondering is, using my XCal3, can i adjust the rev limit while the clutch pedal is pressed in while maintaining a different rev limit while the clutch is released?
If so is this a function of the xcal3 that can be unlocked and made user adjustable?

Thankyou in advance
Hi mate,

Manual drag cars and two step RPM limiters go hand in hand, but in cars that have little startline energy like a 3800lb plus falcon, you will find that unless you have a Ray Franks or Mcleod soft loc adjustable clutch you will do damage.

The ultimate NA Boss setup is a 4.1 rear ratio, and around 5000rpm on the startline. On the 2nd last yellow, you need to start using the clutch to load up the engine, when you are on or around 4000 you should be at full throttle by that time and your foot should be entirely off the clutch.

The clutch we would recommend for this would be a Spec single plate metal clutch, not an ideal street setup, the street/circuit clutch we would recommend is a Mal wood option 3 plus, much better street feel that the spec, but has no place on the strip.

The two step setups we have played with have caused more diveline damage (broken CV's, mounting brackets on live axles breaking, twisting axle splines) than when we launch using the method we have tried and tested as above. Again, if you can get the car to be faster reacting (say, 3000lb, slick tyre and full race suspension) then with the positive acting chassis the two step will come into its own, and this is going to be impossible in a slow reacting heavy car with a non adjustable clutch on an inconsistent racetrack.

Hope this helps

Chris
03 9305 3000

Theo@BluePower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #13
Belial
Clevo Mafia Muscle Man

I was reading Theo's post above and thought It was a massively indepth response.

Then seen it was posted by Chris

No disrespect to Theo at all....... The above just seamed like a Chris response and was ..

Daily
FPV GS Manual Sedan. (1 of 20)
now 360rwhp thanx to Blue Power Racing
"Global warming..." " I'm doing my part!"

Also a member of the Clevo Mafia.
You hit me, we hit you!
&
Metal Jacket Muscle Car Club
Belial is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post