Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 04-04-2018, 09:38 AM   #1
Cralis

Default Lane Assist - 2017 Mondeo

Guys,

My Mondeo was bought new in December, and now has 6K on the clock. Three times, I've gone into a gradual left hand bend, and had the car try to pull me right into incoming traffic. This would be the lane assist making an error.

I took it to Ford, and they reported 'No fault found', but they did a software reset.

What's now strange is when I drove home from the service place, not once did the little green lane assist lights light up. Where as before, they'd be on when ever there was clear lanes.

It seems their fix was to disable the lane assist! Could this be possible? I've gone through the settings, and see everything is enabled. The little lane assist icon appears on the top right on the screen.... but ... no lane assist.

It seems they have decided to disable it, instead of fix it, to avoid a legal issue with a crash caused by it. Which concerns me. The car now longer has the advertised features.

Can anyone assist?
South Africa VW Golf 1.9TDi
Australia: VW Golf 1.9TDi, Holden Captiva, Ford Territory 2011 TS RWD Diesel (Sold June '15), Ford Territory 2015 TS RWD Diesel (Sold Dec '17), Ford Mondeo 17.5 Trend Wagon
Cralis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2018, 10:28 AM   #2
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Lane Assist - 2017 Mondeo

I have the MC (no lane assist, but lane departure warning). It will play up if there is dirt on the screen above the sensor (Behind the rear-view mirror, on the windscreen).
Did you happen to notice the lane indicators when the problem was occurring?
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2018, 11:26 AM   #3
Cralis

I can't recall. I believe they were green before, but when it happens, you get a hell of a wakeup call, as you need to fight it a bit to stay in your lane. So my eyes were firmly on the road and oncoming traffic....
Australia: VW Golf 1.9TDi, Holden Captiva, Ford Territory 2011 TS RWD Diesel (Sold June '15), Ford Territory 2015 TS RWD Diesel (Sold Dec '17), Ford Mondeo 17.5 Trend Wagon
Old 05-04-2018, 07:07 AM   #4
asteele-xr6

On my MD Titanium, the white lines go green when the vehicle is able to identify the road markings... so the road you are on has to have half decent markings to make the lines come up.

If I stray over the road markings, then I get a slight vibration in the wheel and a barely detectable assist on the steering wheel - I would have liked to see it actually steer for me, but the assist it provides doesn't do that, just makes the steering wheel easier to turn if I decide to turn it myself.

You can tinker with the settings and turn assist on/off so you just get a vibration.

Anyway, drive on a road with clear markings and you should get green lines within a few seconds.

Good luck!
asteele-xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2018, 04:44 PM   #5
Cralis

Thanks. I think the software update did something. Because I now notice that the green lines appear when am maybe over 60km/h. They seemed to activate at lower speeds before. So maybe there was a fault? Is there a minimum speed limit for the lane detection?

Also, there's two modes. Alert, and Alert and Aid. Mine keeps switching back to Alert, which is the vibration. I set it back to Alert and Aid, and maybe 1 out of 5 times, I feel it pull me back off the line. When I test drove an Everest, it was WAY better. Lane assist would bounce you between the lane lines if you left your hands off the wheel. (I know, I know.. always keep your hands on... I was testing it). In fact, after a few bounces, it would alert me to put my hands back on the wheel.

Clearly the newer model Mondeo doesn't have as good a system, which is disappointing. Because I was betweem a VW Golf, Passat or the Mondeo. They had equal features, but the Mondeo looked nicer so I went with that. I'm regretting, as it seems to state it has features, which are not quite as good as they seem.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:09 AM   #6
asteele-xr6

I didn't really notice when the green lines would appear before - but you are right, then only come on at speeds over approx. 60 kph.

The assist is so gentle it really doesn't have much of an affect for me - it does steer the car a tiny amount, but its barely noticeable.

I consider the lane assist and steering assist to be driving aids - which they clearly are... but they are not supposed to provide for autonomous driving just yet.
asteele-xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2018, 08:46 PM   #7
mcsweenyfives

Yep will only activate when over 60ks. Green it can see the lane and you are in it. When the lines goes yellow you are close to the lane line and red line you have gone over.
That is my experience

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
mcsweenyfives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2018, 12:24 AM   #8
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

I find it annoys the more you go over the line or further over it, especially when you're in the twisty stuff (open and clear ahead) and you're picking your 'driving line' so flirting with the lines all the time kinda deal. Sometimes around roundabouts too. So off it goes.

but it's a nice feature, that and being reminded you are sleepy so you get the chime reminder. I was scratching my head thinking wth is that for. It thought some of my head movements were me being tired, which I weren't.