Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 04-04-2018, 09:44 AM   #1
Cralis

Default Windscreen condensation

Hi all,

I've got a Sept 2017 build Mondeo Wagon Trend, and notice, now that the outside temp has cooled a bit (QLD), when it's below 24 degrees (On the car computer temp) outside, and I have the aircon on, the outside of the drivers window, mists up completely... That would be the lower 20% of the screen, from the middle to maybe 20cm from the edges. So, where the blowers blow.

The condensation is on the outside of the window... And I find I need to use the wipers every minute, manually, to see.

Is this normal?! I was told that, because this is a 'luxury car', the aircon blows on the windscreen, and this is normal.

What!? I've owned a few cars, and never had this.
South Africa VW Golf 1.9TDi
Australia: VW Golf 1.9TDi, Holden Captiva, Ford Territory 2011 TS RWD Diesel (Sold June '15), Ford Territory 2015 TS RWD Diesel (Sold Dec '17), Ford Mondeo 17.5 Trend Wagon
Cralis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #2
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Windscreen condensation

Every car I've ever owned has done this - because of flow-through ventilation laws, all cars have an "at rest" default which is to leave the demister, or demister & floor open - even just a little, so that when the A/C system is off, some air still flows through the car.

In many cars, it means the demister doesn't fully close, and if you run the A/C on a cool morning where the humidity is near dew point, it causes external condensation to form.

My FG does it all the time, so to previous cars - Commodores, Subarus, and even a Camry I drove the other night in Qld in the rain.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, as CN says, your aircon is working!
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2023, 11:18 AM   #4
den95deb
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Hi all,

I've got a Sept 2017 build Mondeo Wagon Trend, and notice, now that the outside temp has cooled a bit (QLD), when it's below 24 degrees (On the car computer temp) outside, and I have the aircon on, the outside of the drivers window, mists up completely... That would be the lower 20% of the screen, from the middle to maybe 20cm from the edges. So, where the blowers blow.

The condensation is on the outside of the window... And I find I need to use the wipers every minute, manually, to see.

Is this normal?! I was told that, because this is a 'luxury car', the aircon blows on the windscreen, and this is normal.

What!? I've owned a few cars, and never had this.

Hi I have a FG 2013 G6E which I've had for 11 years it has only just started doing this did you find a solution? Thanks
den95deb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2023, 11:50 AM   #5
den95deb
Starter Motor

Hi have a 2013 G6E have always set the Climate control to AUTO have never had condensation forming on the outside of the windscreen before now all the time did you find a solution Thanks Dennis
den95deb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2023, 08:21 PM   #6
thebigd

Hey all.
I think maybe it's the time of the year ?
My Mondeo is doing the same right now.
I have my climate set to 22.5C year round, which I find is perfect for SEQ. The last month or so I have experienced the same when the outside temp is similar to the climate set temp. The climate control is clearly sending the air to the windscreen, almost as a defrost. A simple flick of the wipers removes the outside condensation.
I haven't tried, but I'm sure switching from climate to manual vent selection would stop this if it's a problem for you.
Old 31-03-2023, 10:53 PM   #7
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will happen when the outside air has high relative humidity. The windscreen only needs to be a few degrees cooler than the air to condense out the water vapour.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk