Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #31
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Default Re: 4cyl Falcon - Who will buy one?

I'd definately consider an Ecoboost XR... if Ford was to make one.
So when is the Ecoboost being released? Or has it already?
Any piccies of this new powerplant?
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #32
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I agree 110%.... HUGE mistake not putting it in there best selling model the XR. For the love of god, who made such a dumb call? And I don’t want to hear "XR is meant to be something special".. It hasn't been that for many years now!! They didn't even have to change the name, still call it XR6 (not like they changed G6E name)..
The Falcon isn't all about XR, just like Ford isn't all about Falcon.

The XR is probably successful because Ford have priced it the way they have to fleets, and have promoted it heavily to the public with good deals. If they did the same with any other model (that had Ecoboost) that model would sell well, too.

Nine times out of ten I would prefer the G6's softer suspension set up to the XR's. The styling is always subjective but the G-series look great, and for the first time the XT looks brilliant. So, on a level playing field where pricing firm and discounts aren't driving people to a certain model, I don't think people would be complaining too much about not having the Ecoboost in the XR.
Old 30-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #33
05_ENFORCER

Should have made this into a poll Swordie.

Not for me though, 4 cylinders just don't cut the mustard

Old 30-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #34
Dodd

I wont buy one, and i think you will find a lot of people on here wont buy 1 either. Mainly for 2 reason:

1) - I would think the number of second hand buyers here far out weighs new car buyers

2) Most people on this site are car enthusiasts, and drive the upspec models, be it turbo's, V8's or the modded 6. I would suggest, that while most people on here would like lower fuel bills, its not their priority.

The people who will be the ecoboost 4, will have their fuel bill as a priority, but still want a falcon. Most of these people will be fleets, or family's that aren't car enthusiasts, just want a large car that's cheap to run.

If i was to get the "Economy" car, it would probably the LPGi engine. But i wont be, happy with my Turbo.
Dodd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #35
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hopefully, I will have my diesel Territory in the next few months. But, if I could not get into a Territory, I would have definitely gone for an ecoboost Falcon. If nothing else that to give red faces to the V6 Commodore drivers in the fleet when I drag them at the lights.

I also strongly endorse the comment above about V8 drivers not bagging it either. The V8 drivers (and I6 for that matter) should be singing the ecoboost praises from every street corner. So that next time they come to put their money down on the table, there is still a Falcon to buy. The current sales figures show what happens when the fleet purchasers ignore the Flacon. Let’s hope they get attracted back into buying them.
whynot is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #36
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I like that attitude - about Ford I6 and V8 drivers still talking up the I4T even if they don't intend to buy one themselves.

Spread the word.....

Lukeyson
Old 30-12-2011, 04:51 PM   #37
sbcb
BA Xr8

I absolutely hope the ecoboost 4 is the Falcon sales saviour but no way in hell do I want one myself.
Been utterly miserable since my old 8 got traded on a BF XR6, and its a good car......... but its not an 8.
I'll walk before the 4 cylinder gets a look in.
Everyone else can buy the sales volume cars and I wait for the hero cars that are low volume but create the sales spinoffs. e.g. a 4cylinder ecoboost driver will talk about the supercharged GT in the same breath as their car
My Ford List - AU1 Futura, AU1 Cobra XR8, EB Gli Project Car, AU2 XR8 200kw, AU1 Fairmont Ghia VCT, AU1 V8 Tickford Fairmont Ghia, BF Xr6 6spd ZF, BA MkII XR8, AU3 Fairmont, SX Territory, AU3 Xr8 220kw, BA Xr8.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I think we're all going to have a good laugh when we see an FG Falcon on the front cover of Hot 4s magazine with a headline like "The best thing since the SR20" or something similar.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #39
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I think we're all going to have a good laugh when we see an FG Falcon on the front cover of Hot 4s magazine with a headline like "The best thing since the SR20" or something similar.
well theyve already had a commodore on the cover, so wouldnt be surprised.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #40
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if a falcon sized vehicle suited my family I would def look at one

I know I drive a falcon now but come june next year a falcon does not have the room I will need for the family ( will be keeping the el though )

Damo that would be a great read

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #41
Benjamin Smith

i most likely wont buy one as my next car will be a 8 or 6T, but very interested in giving one a drive
Benjamin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #42
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I would consider it. When the lease is up on the Mini I could buy it out, hot it up more (not that it really needs it) and keep it as the play toy. Then buy a G6 spec ecoboost and have it as a daily with reasonable running costs, roof rack it for the bikes/kayaks and enough room for all occasions, not a bad situation.
Old 30-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #43
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Have a look at what become of the XR6T, how easy it is to get power out of, wouldn't surprise me with a turbo back exhaust, boost controller, 100cpsi cat on the Ecoboost you could get the thing past 200KW easily.

Remember it is also lighter than the I6 variant.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #44
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, but not because of the engine, but because I need at least two tonne towing capacity to be comfortable and the EcoBoost is rated at 1600kg.

Diesel would interest me.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 06:02 PM   #45
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Not me. I'd rather choose the EcoLPI. Aussie heart in an aussie car.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #46
buggo
[BU66OS]

Wouldn't the LiLPG be cheaper to run plus have a more powerful 6cyl?

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #47
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen

Diesel would interest me.
I don't understand why they didn't put the Territory diesel in the sedan years ago, but what would I know. If it gets 8.5's in a Terry ots would have to get 7's in sedan.
Old 30-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #48
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I would consider one most definitely as fuel consumption is right up the top for me, but as the wife and I are starting a family and like to travel the need for room is upmost important to us, therefore a vehicle the size of a Territory is more suited for us.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #49
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
The Falcon isn't all about XR, just like Ford isn't all about Falcon.

The XR is probably successful because Ford have priced it the way they have to fleets, and have promoted it heavily to the public with good deals. If they did the same with any other model (that had Ecoboost) that model would sell well, too.

Nine times out of ten I would prefer the G6's softer suspension set up to the XR's. The styling is always subjective but the G-series look great, and for the first time the XT looks brilliant. So, on a level playing field where pricing firm and discounts aren't driving people to a certain model, I don't think people would be complaining too much about not having the Ecoboost in the XR.
I'd say it has changed in the past 10 years from retail customers buying base model Forte/XT/Executive/S what ever you want to call it over the more expensive sports model XR. Times have changed, a lot people want to be noticed, they want the wheels, the spoiler, the trim, and the manufactures did change this with XR/SV6 buy selling a good looking vehicle at the right price $30-35 d/a. I'm not saying G-series is a model people don't buy, my favourite Falcon is the G6ET over all of them. But we need to sell bread and butter and that is XR, not XT/G series. It could really work with ecoboost. It could be an engineering thing, I'm not up to speed with these things.
Old 30-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #50
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

I drove an Evoque (or 10) as I work for a Land Rover dealer the other day, the first of which to have the ecoboost fitted to it (the rest were diesel). I'm actually unsure of the power output of this engine, but I'm sure it is rated lower than what will be fitted to the Falcon.

All I can say is that I'm extremely impressed with this engine, and mated to a 6 speed ZF, I'm sure it would be very impressive in a Falcon. Would I buy one? I would definitely consider one, but I think the new LPI 6 would probably be more suited to what I needed.

Isn't it great that there is so much choice across the Ford range? Just need a base V8 and an N/A XR8 and it really would be happy days.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #51
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
I don't understand why they didn't put the Territory diesel in the sedan years ago, but what would I know.
Well, I don't understand why they didn't put the diesel in Territory years ago, but what would I know.......

Quote:
If it gets 8.5's in a Terry ots would have to get 7's in sedan.
Jaguar XF with 2.2 I-4 TDCI and stop start technology = 5.5 litres/100 km
Now that tech in a falcon would be worth shelling out for, an I-4 diesel with
approx. 420-450 nm of torque and fuel economy to make a hybrid look ordinary

But then, the running costs of EcoLPI are about the same and you have the I-6...

Ecoboost Falcon is to attract new buyers , not convert existing ones....

Last edited by jpd80; 30-12-2011 at 07:02 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #52
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

If I were in the market for one, A definite YES.

And for the naysayers, Im sure Ford will offer the badge option as below and let everyone who doesn't like it re-badge their cars to make them feel better.
The Red Army have been doing it for years, why not the Blue, make believe Cosworth Falcon to ease your ills and park it next to your Chevy SV6

AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #53
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80

Ecoboost Falcon is to attract new buyers , not convert existing ones....

Im really curious about this.. who does the Ecoboost attract? and why wouldnt they just get a Ecoboost Mondeo?
Old 30-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #54
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Im really curious about this.. who does the Ecoboost attract? and why wouldnt they just get a Ecoboost Mondeo?
Perhaps because Falcon is a large car, mondeo is a medium.
Old 30-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #55
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

I think the XR should get an Ecoboost engine option, but it should be a higher specced engine than the XT, or the 3.5 V6 Ecoboost.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #56
taxi driver

Id buy a 4 cly falcon if they kept it RWD made it about 1200 kg and changed the name to cortina..
No wait. it buy one once it was about 25 years old.
Blah blah everyone, esp greenies make alot about people not buying falcon and commodore now. what they dont nention is 85% (nz stats) of those non buyers are now buying SUVs.
So im not sure what the answer is other than convincing the billionare ******* who control the big automakers that global RWd platforms would resonate in the minds of gearhead buyers more than FWD/AWD platforms. And that non gearhead buyers dont care eitherway. So rwd is a winner eitherway.
GLobal RWD platforms, allowing for both econamys of scale. and fitment of 4,6 &8 cly engines sounds too much like commonsence to ever happen
taxi driver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #57
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That come be said for ANY car!!! Why buy a Falcon when you can buy x.y.z??

Did you ever stop to think people could say why buy a Mondeo when you can buy a Falcon?? Or why buy a Camry when you can be a Falcon?? Or why buy a Madaz 6 when you can buy a Falcon?? etc etc etc.. It brings medium car buyers to the Falcon party shopping list..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #58
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No .. EcoLPI to replace the current EGas ute when lease runs out (try to get new this time!!)
If I was in the market for a 4cyl car I'd be looking at something smaller and sporty .. Hot hatch or the like ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #59
ConradP

It's a good idea, and by the sounds of it so far, a good engine. But I was talking with a mate at work about it, he pretty much summed up what most people would think of it. Why would you buy a 4cyl for a large car when there's a 6cyl that's in the same price range or cheaper. Allot of people just don't see the benefit or similarities between them and would think it is just a waste or it wont do as well. It's a shame really because I'm looking forward to it.
Old 30-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #60
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
That come be said for ANY car!!! Why buy a Falcon when you can buy x.y.z??

Did you ever stop to think people could say why buy a Mondeo when you can buy a Falcon?? Or why buy a Camry when you can be a Falcon?? Or why buy a Madaz 6 when you can buy a Falcon?? etc etc etc.. It brings medium car buyers to the Falcon party shopping list..

Its not the same, as they are not in the same showroom. You have two cars, same size, same engine, one is a couple of thousand dollars cheaper and has more gear, all within 2 feet of each other on the showroom floor.