Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-04-2007, 01:49 AM   #61
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Fair enough too - I had similar issues with no 6 lead on our I6 (Topgun), but that was with the 8.8mm ones that did just over 12 months service. Replaced them with standard 8mm TGs, and never had an issue since.

I've seen the same breakage on Bosch and Champion leads - so it happens to lots, not just one brand.

But if you're happy not to use TGs, that's OK too. I will in fact try the MSD ones towards the end of this year (assuming I still have the car). Don't suppose you know if MSD make ones for the I6?
These are the 8mm ones JC....... You're right, but Bosch and Champion wouldn't be the cream of prestige performance leads either- again std car, probably fine. Performance though? Bit different...... Not a sledge JC, just my opinion- i've tried three different types on the same engine now

Dave (XD351 on the forums) at A1 High Perfromance makes up the MSD leads to suit so yes, can certainly be obtained- and cheap too........ he's helped out a lot of eastern staters
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 01:51 AM   #62
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50
These are the 8mm ones JC....... You're right, but Bosch and Champion wouldn't be the cream of prestige performance leads either- again std car, probably fine. Performance though? Bit different...... Not a sledge JC, just my opinion- i've tried three different types on the same engine now

Dave (XD351 on the forums) at A1 High Perfromance makes up the MSD leads to suit so yes, can certainly be obtained- and cheap too........ he's helped out a lot of eastern staters
Thanks - will keep him in mind when the I6 need replacing too (another 12 months or so, i think)
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 02:19 AM   #63
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it seems most of you are concentrating on the Std top guns and comparing them with other brand hi end leads as i said B4 the top gun max300 are well speced and i'm prepared to give them a go especially with the 3 year warranty on the max300
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 02:24 AM   #64
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
it seems most of you are concentrating on the Std top guns and comparing them with other brand hi end leads as i said B4 the top gun max300 are well speced and i'm prepared to give them a go especially with the 3 year warranty on the max300
you're right mate- but I wouldn't touch top guns based on my experience (refer pic). These 'std' Top Gun leads were still more than the MSD's and nearly as much as the Eagles though.........
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 21-04-2007, 02:25 AM   #65
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

How much are those leads BTW?
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 21-04-2007, 07:20 PM   #66
fordAU

I am using a combination of Top Guns and NGK Iridiums on an AU XR8, a definate improvement over the Ford leads and plugs.

Can't compare the top guns to anything else other than the factory leads but the vehicle performs better, stronger in all gears without doubt.

They seem to do the job well, no negatives at this stage, probably try another make next time like the leads from QIL.
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 08:30 PM   #67
rob_liss_lms10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I put some topgun max leads on my car today, I had topgun normal ones before. I tested the resistance of each lead coming off and the new max leads going on. The resistance was measured on a digital ohm meter set at 40k( the topgun site states to set at 20k, but mine was either 4k or 40k). The old topgun leads showed 3.9k-4.1k per lead, the topgun max leads were .38k-.39k. so I guess that means that the topgun max are 10 times less resistant?. I dont know anything about ohms and resistance but these were the readings I got.The top gun max leads cost $80 from Autobarn.
Old 22-04-2007, 09:11 AM   #68
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I am agreeing with JIMTE350. The leads new seemed fine as far as resistances but I dont think theyre tough enough or made well enough. My boot and lead wire does not seem to make proper contact with the spark plug tip after removing them from the plugs just once.Trying to realign the boot so that the centre wire metallic connector gets to the to the plug makes it flex excessively and if I press any harder the too soft rubber will break the internal spiral wounded core.Its not stiff enough to push it back into position as it feels like it will break just as the photo Jim posted up.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2007, 10:40 AM   #69
JoesAu

i have the Max300 and yes they made a difference the car was alot smoother. Recently the inside of the lead1 has gone all crap and wont click onto the plug, ive tried moved it around with a screw driver but i still cant get it to lock on. The rest seem hard to get on aswell. Maybe u can get replacements? so i can get a new one
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #70
JoesAu

Totally agree with you Stav they are so hard to get back on, even after one time they are a pain in the back side to get back on. Thats problly what ive done broken something inside trying to get em on, the build quality doesnt seem strong enough.
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2007, 09:34 PM   #71
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've been Quoted $75 trade and if there are any dramas quality wise i'll use the 3 year warranty
Old 26-04-2007, 04:19 PM   #72
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

put them on today much improved idle quality seems good nice tight fit on terminals heres hoping they stay that way happy so far
Old 26-04-2007, 10:30 PM   #73
maestrobmw
Starter Motor

I haven't had a lot of experience with lots of different brands, but always find Ford genuine leads fix misfiring 6 cylinders. V8's are not so common where I work, but leads are often a problem, and BOSCH are a good bet. Sometimes the leads read within specs (approx 7K ohms per 30cm) but still short out through breaks in insulation - so resistance isn't everything.
I've also been told by good authority than Inductive Core BOSCH leads are best for LPG due to the high demands imposed by the LPG on ignition.
maestrobmw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2007, 01:07 AM   #74
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Anyone have any experience with Eagle leads?
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2007, 03:06 AM   #75
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Anyone have any experience with Eagle leads?
when i got my max 300s i checked then out and the eagles were way too high in resistance
Old 21-06-2007, 07:01 AM   #76
xr6 ausome
Low au

Quote:
true the STD top guns are crap but i have just been told about the top gun max300 leads they are 0.5kohms per metre i have ordered a set and will have them monday I'll let you all know how they go

I have the same and cant fault the product at all
Old 22-06-2007, 12:41 PM   #77
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
when i got my max 300s i checked then out and the eagles were way too high in resistance
Thanks mate.
Old 22-06-2007, 12:43 PM   #78
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

I've just been getting prices and have come up with the following:

ICE 8mm - $115
ICE 9mm - $140
Bosch etc around $60-$70.

At over double the price, will I actually notice any physical difference when driving the car if I go the ICE 9mm??

How's longeivity on them? I'm assuming they'll be suitable for gas too a little down the track.

Thanks,

Justin.
Old 22-06-2007, 03:01 PM   #79
MRJUCY
Fordless

I've always used Magnecor leads they're not a cheapy but they're very good.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #80
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
I've just been getting prices and have come up with the following:

ICE 8mm - $115
ICE 9mm - $140
Bosch etc around $60-$70.

At over double the price, will I actually notice any physical difference when driving the car if I go the ICE 9mm??

How's longeivity on them? I'm assuming they'll be suitable for gas too a little down the track.

Thanks,

Justin.
Used the ICE 9mm leads on a few of my previous cars and never had an issue with them regarding build quality or longevity. And yes, have been told they are a good gas lead as well.

Not sure what difference you will feel, depends how screwed your current leads are.

Liquid Silver / Manual / Leather / Momo Wheel & Shifter / Premium Sound / Lovells Superlows / Koni Reds / T3 Pursuit Rims / Pacemaker 4499s / 2.5 Inch Exhaust
Oo_xrsx_oO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2007, 05:08 PM   #81
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Last Monday some MSD leads came my way.The build quality is awesome and I am really appreciative of the forum member who made these for me. I have not installed or tested them as yet but will do when I get a second..

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2007, 06:13 PM   #82
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Well, just picked up a set of 9mm ICE leads just then. Must say they are awesome build quality, and look very nice indeed. Very friendly bunch there too. They take your details, and if you're an existing customer, they give you discounts on your next purchase.

They actually supply these leads to taxi workshops, and apparently they are getting up to 300000kms out of these leads.

They've said that as long as I install them and maintain them correctly, these leads should last the life of the vehicle (within reason) in a non-turbo environment.

I'm not expecting any difference in how the car drives, but either way I'm happy with the purchase.