Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-07-2022, 01:42 AM   #751
jakka351

Wink Re: FORD technical service bulletin : ICC touch screen display

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonACT View Post
Answers to questions...

I did write a software package that upgrades the maps, but my tester never got back to me so I never released it. I don't know, maybe he's using it and he had worked out that I won't release it without feedback, so he's keeping quiet about it so only he has it?

Sorry I was distracted by all the egregious amounts of cash I am making updating everyone maps.
jakka351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2022, 01:44 AM   #752
jakka351

Exclamation Re: FORD technical service bulletin : ICC touch screen display

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteford View Post
Are you familiar with The Shmoo, Mr. FPV414?
The Shmoo was a loveable creature, really. Laid eggs, gave milk...and died of sheer ecstasy when looked at with hunger. The Shmoo loved to be eaten. It could taste like any food you desire. Shmoo hide cut thin made fine leather. Even Shmoo whiskers made excellent toothpicks. In essence, The Shmoo supplied all of the world's wants.

You can't say something like that to someone who has been here since 2005!
Old 13-07-2022, 02:05 AM   #753
jakka351

Default Re: FORD technical service bulletin : ICC touch screen display

This user likes this post:
Old 13-07-2022, 05:47 PM   #754
jakka351

Quote:
Answers to questions...

Yes, it's possible to install lots of Linux stuff, as long as you can work out how to compile it for QNX as some things may need to be changed. Things like compression libs are the easiest to do, they're just data in and data out. Python? Not sure how hard it is to compile that, so maybe it's possible, at least until you get to the operating system interfaces / libraries. But then all interfaces inside these units are already in-use except the serial port going to the GPS module, and only if you don't have the high-end unit. That's the one I'm using for "everything" with multiplexing drivers. So I have a bunch of virtual serial ports hanging off the one physical one. I'm not sure what the killer-app would be to install on these though? Except VNC maybe, which I've already done, but it's quite slow.
But instead of installing things to it, and the outdated hardware, it may be better to port the QNX to a raspberry pi, then in combination with a bit of extra hardware, you have a complete replacement unit.

Old 13-07-2022, 06:32 PM   #755
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

There are so many issues with that, and yet I'm as close as anyone will get...

https://github.com/varghes/Raspberry-QNX

You can see, I opened an issue there, and I've fixed a bunch of stuff he didn't quite have working properly. This version of QNX (6.5) runs on a Pi Zero W (almost the same CPU as the FG2 ICC) which is 1GHz instead of 666MHz - so it's got a bit of a speed bump on the old ICC's CPU. It's still too slow though. I have the SD card, USB keyboard and mouse, HDMI audio all working along with the QNX Flash Lite 3.1 media player. It's pretty cool, and boots in a matter of seconds into my layerlaunch & layer (v3) programs from my earlier post. A neat toy, for the couple of Pi Zeros I had lying around doing.. not much.

But, you see, this is the old ARMv6 QNX for single core CPU boards. For any recent Pi greater than a zero, you need at least a QNX v7 version... And I can't find an old one anywhere. I can't find a new one either, but once you start using a newer one, you need to use the newer GCC compiler too, and then you lose compatibility with the old ICC software & libs.

So many issues
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2022, 06:39 PM   #756
jakka351

Quote:
There are so many issues with that, and yet I'm as close as anyone will get...

https://github.com/varghes/Raspberry-QNX

You can see, I opened an issue there, and I've fixed a bunch of stuff he didn't quite have working properly. This version of QNX (6.5) runs on a Pi Zero W (almost the same CPU as the FG2 ICC) which is 1GHz instead of 666MHz - so it's got a bit of a speed bump on the old ICC's CPU. It's still too slow though. I have the SD card, USB keyboard and mouse, HDMI audio all working along with the QNX Flash Lite 3.1 media player. It's pretty cool, and boots in a matter of seconds into my layerlaunch & layer (v3) programs from my earlier post. A neat toy, for the couple of Pi Zeros I had lying around doing.. not much.

But, you see, this is the old ARMv6 QNX for single core CPU boards. For any recent Pi greater than a zero, you need at least a QNX v7 version... And I can't find an old one anywhere. I can't find a new one either, but once you start using a newer one, you need to use the newer GCC compiler too, and then you lose compatibility with the old ICC software & libs.

So many issues
With QNX v7 could it run on RPI4 without losing compatibility with the old libraries
Old 13-07-2022, 07:00 PM   #757
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

I think I messed up what version we're talking about. I meant to write QNX (6.5 sp1) for ARMv7 (which I think would work on a Pi2 or Pi3) should support multi core units, and is certainly enough to do some neat stuff. This kernel would not run on a RPi4 though, it's just too different.

Actual QNX 7.0 is known to have a BSP (support package) for RPi4, but nothing lower. There's sure to be issues with that because the GCC version used to build it would be so much newer. I'm already seeing some issues with recent Linux software being compiled on the 14 year old GCC I'm using for what I make for my ICC & the Pi Zero.

Either way, I'd say the simple answer is no.
Old 18-07-2022, 09:36 PM   #758
jakka351

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV414 View Post
Ordinary men don’t hide behind pseudonym’s. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Says someone posting from a pseudonym. I can't post your real name, but you can.
Old 18-07-2022, 10:08 PM   #759
jakka351

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV414 View Post
Jakka you have pointed fingers in correct directions before, totally guided in whatever leftover complex you have from literally decades ago. For the record I have not been here a member longer than yourself and the aDmInIStRaToRS aRe AwArE oF mY rEtUrN.

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2022B00015
Yeah but my car is quicker than yours.
Old 18-07-2022, 10:27 PM   #760
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Just keep the arguing to a low roar if we could. Back on topic.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2022, 03:17 PM   #761
jakka351

For the record though. My names not Jack.

Its Benjamin.

On topic again:
Old 19-07-2022, 05:41 PM   #762
JasonACT
Away on leave

FG MK2 High Series Navi Map Updater

This package backs-up your current maps into a folder it creates on the thumbdrive called "oldcontent" when you run it with no new maps (a freshly formatted FAT32 USB stick, with just the expanded archive on it).

If you have new maps (*.fbl, *.poi or *.spc [btw it doesn't allow filenames with spaces]) in the thumbdrive root, it attempts to patch your navi exe to remove the license check. It will tell you if it can or can't do it to the version installed. It's been tested on a couple of versions, early 2013 and mid 2014. Then it makes a backup of the maps (as before) and copies new maps over. It reboots if it works (it terminates the navi software to update it, so the reboot is needed to restart it all up again). It uses the USB root as a working area, so there will be files left there once it's done... New and old versions of the exe and various original manifests it updates on the unit.

Run this package with the Recore button in FG2ICCComms.exe using a ELM327 with HS/MS switch on MS.

https://github.com/Jasoroony/Ford-Fa...n/navimaps.zip

I usually buy the map update file(s) by using my Android phone with the iGo software, then get the .fbl file from it using a USB cable to plug the phone into the computer to browse for files. This time (new Aus maps were released a couple of weeks ago - 2021Q4) I found a download that had maps, places and speedcam. Sadly the speedcam file didn't load properly, so I went back to the 2019 file that I bought from China.

The update is a slow process, backing up 200MB takes a long time, copying back 200MB also takes ages, patching the exe isn't particularly fast either. Keep the car key on accessories while it works, you don't want the unit going to sleep in the middle of an update.

If you have updated your ICC maps from elsewhere, this process may not (or may?) work... Sorry, but I can't help you if it doesn't - I don't know anything about how that update was made to work.
5 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2022, 09:00 PM   #763
jakka351

Anyone interested in their Fords GPS module, can take a look at this git repo - https://github.com/schoolpost/ford-gps-module I dont think that the falcons broadcast their GPS data on the CAN, but other models probably do.

be good for a DIY gps tracker or logger, or for your insurance company in event of accident.
Old 26-07-2022, 06:28 PM   #764
jakka351

Quote:
While we wait for someone with a GTF Instrument Cluster who's willing to extract the special firmware... @Jakka - these are the "decoded" IDs that a Mk1 Cluster handles (reading the V850 document, the hardware register that deals with these is shifted 2 bits, and to be efficient, the programmers left the data that way - so you need to divide by 4 to work out the values):

1D7 does not appear there - I reckon it's a bogus signal when the chip is first configured, especially because it's only 7 bytes, and these things are configured to always generate 8 byte messages. Sorry mate.
On this - I now disagree as I have seen the cluster respond with a message with a 4 Byte DLC - and have seen 1D7 from a few modules now. I think it is a remote frame request that only happens when no traffic is detected on the bus. But I also found a 29 bit ID. I don't think it is a socketcan error. Will post more at some stage
Old 06-08-2022, 04:27 PM   #765
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

and speaking of Pi.
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2022, 11:54 AM   #766
jakka351

Question Re: FORD technical service bulletin : ICC touch screen display

Quote:
"\"V01.16.rel\""
"\"ssssssssssstssssssssssutsssssssssvutsssssssswvu tsssssssxwvusssssssxwvuttsssssyxwvuttssssyxwwvuuts ssyxxwvvuuttsyyxwwvvuuttzyxxwwvvuutzyyxxwwvvuuzzyx xwwwvvv{zyyxxxwwvv{zzyyxxxwww{{zzyyxxxxw|{zzyyyyxx x|{{zzyyyyyx\""
"\"IICA_HandleErrorCh0_Tsk\""
"\"IICA__AlarmCh0\""
"\"IOQHA_vQhandle_Tsk\""
"\"SINI_vInit_Tsk\""
"\"SOUND__vMain_Tsk\""
"\"SOUND__vMain_Tsk_Alarm\""
"\"STATE_vStateHandler_Tsk\""
"\"RES_SCHEDULER\""
"\"VOL_vProcess_Alarm\""
"\"VOL_vProcess_Tsk\""
"\"EEPB_vHandleTransmission_Tsk\""
"\"EEPB_WriteCycleTimer\""
"\"FUEL_vSampleSender_Tsk\""
"\"FUEL_vSampleSender_Alarm\""
"\"CAM_Alarm\""
"\"CAM_vForegroundLoop_Tsk\""
"\"LCD_Access\""

Wut dis do JasonACT?
Old 09-08-2022, 04:57 PM   #767
JasonACT
Away on leave

I give up, what does it do, Benjamin?
Old 09-08-2022, 05:04 PM   #768
jakka351

Talking Re: FORD technical service bulletin : ICC touch screen display

Quote:
I give up, what does it do, Benjamin?
"\"V01.16.rel\""
"\"ssssssssssstssssssssssutsssssssssvutsssssss swvu tsssssssxwvusssssssxwvuttsssssyxwvuttssssyxwwvuuts ssyxxwvvuuttsyyxwwvvuuttzyxxwwvvuutzyyxxwwvvuuzzyx xwwwvvv{zyyxxxwwvv{zzyyxxxwww{{zzyyxxxxw|{zzyyyyxx x|{{zzyyyyyx\""
"\"IICA_HandleErrorCh0_Tsk\""
"\"IICA__AlarmCh0\"" <----- Annoying Chime
"\"IOQHA_vQhandle_Tsk\"" <!----Annoying Chime
"\"SINI_vInit_Tsk\"" <!----Prepare Annoying Chime
"\"SOUND__vMain_Tsk\"" <!----Annoying Chime
"\"SOUND__vMain_Tsk_Alarm\"" <!----Annoying Chime
"\"STATE_vStateHandler_Tsk\"" <!----Annoying Chime Current State
"\"RES_SCHEDULER\"" <--- When Should The Annoying Chime go off
"\"VOL_vProcess_Alarm\"" <!----Annoying Chime
"\"VOL_vProcess_Tsk\"" <!----Annoying Chime
"\"EEPB_vHandleTransmission_Tsk\"" <!----Annoying Chime when the gearbox fails
"\"EEPB_WriteCycleTimer\"" <!----EEPROM Write Access Timer? for the Annoying Chime
"\"FUEL_vSampleSender_Tsk\"" <!----Annoying Chime when I dont have a fuel level signal
"\"FUEL_vSampleSender_Alarm\"" <!--- same as above
"\"CAM_Alarm\"" <-----Annoying Chime but unsure what for
"\"CAM_vForegroundLoop_Tsk\"" <!----Annoying Chime Program
"\"LCD_Access\"" <!----Annoying Popup to complement Annoying Chime

Last edited by jakka351; 09-08-2022 at 05:07 PM. Reason: My names not Benjamin, its Jack Whiteford
Old 17-08-2022, 10:32 PM   #769
rastus86
Starter Motor

been reading the posts
but i have a question has anyone got any info to share on how to fix the orignal units
i am trying to help someone out atm
thanks
rastus86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2022, 10:46 PM   #770
jakka351

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastus86 View Post
been reading the posts
but i have a question has anyone got any info to share on how to fix the orignal units
i am trying to help someone out atm
thanks
The info is in said posts.
Old 18-08-2022, 09:33 PM   #771
JasonACT
Away on leave

https://www.theregister.com/2022/08/...tion/?td=rt-3a
Old 18-08-2022, 09:55 PM   #772
jakka351

Quote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CarHacking/...m_source=share
Old 18-08-2022, 10:01 PM   #773
jakka351

Quote:
I bet the password was Hyundai123
Old 20-11-2022, 02:10 PM   #774
jakka351

3 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2023, 06:26 PM   #775
Tazzi
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Pretty much. I'm about to order my 2nd replacement screen but I'll add the extended warranty this time.
Has anyone tried searching the part numbers on the LCD screen themselves? Unit has C080VW02 on it.. quick google shows replacements can be bought fairly cheap:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3300...8dawia2cW&mp=1

Or

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3232...8dawia2cW&mp=1

When messing around with the MK2 ICC's a few years back, I did try swapping a screen from a working unit into a another which was no good (The actual physical LCD) and it did light up. So... Id assume its the actual LCD screen which is failing and not the circuit board its attached to.

Guess its an option for anyone game enough to try a cheaper alternative.
Tazzi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2023, 06:41 PM   #776
jakka351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzi View Post
Has anyone tried searching the part numbers on the LCD screen themselves? Unit has C080VW02 on it.. quick google shows replacements can be bought fairly cheap:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3300...8dawia2cW&mp=1

Or

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3232...8dawia2cW&mp=1

When messing around with the MK2 ICC's a few years back, I did try swapping a screen from a working unit into a another which was no good (The actual physical LCD) and it did light up. So... Id assume its the actual LCD screen which is failing and not the circuit board its attached to.

Guess its an option for anyone game enough to try a cheaper alternative.
The MK1 Monochrome FDIM is a bulletproof replacement, highly recommend fitting it in place of a failed MKII FDIM. You will need to purchase my MK2>MK1 conversion loom though, which is priced comfortably at $995.95.
Old 23-02-2023, 10:48 PM   #777
Tazzi
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakka351 View Post
The MK1 Monochrome FDIM is a bulletproof replacement, highly recommend fitting it in place of a failed MKII FDIM. You will need to purchase my MK2>MK1 conversion loom though, which is priced comfortably at $995.95.
Didn’t realise the MK1 FDIM would work in place, that’s kinda incredible to be honest!
Old 24-02-2023, 02:11 AM   #778
gkhn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: How to change Ford FG upper control arm bushes + Home made pressing tool 

MK1 colour screen is bulletproof too.
Haven't seen or heard one fail.
I have both in case my MK1 colour screen fails
Do you give discount to ford forum members?

Quote:
gkhn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2023, 10:45 AM   #779
Tazzi
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteford View Post
The screen itself is only one of the failure points in these units (and rarely do the screens themselves fail) but good find for anyone who has punched a hole through theirs in frustration...
Odd. Could be something as simple as a voltage regulator failing, or even a Zener diode giving out which is shorting to ground. Both of which require some basic probing of the circuit board when powered up.

Guess I was one of the rare ones then, since I used the actual LCD and not the FDIM circuit board. Be interested to hear if anyone else tried out a screen only change.
Old 29-04-2023, 02:29 AM   #780
Bonswally
Starter Motor

Quote:

Mate is that software you're using available to a novice like me? I'm really keen to be able to switch a fg mk1 fdim from dual zone to single zone.

I was hoping it was going to be something I could do in forscan but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Bonswally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post