Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-01-2005, 06:45 PM   #1
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Default Streetfighter Cam - Done!

Some of you may remember a thread that I started a while back on FF titled “Which DEV Upgrade?” Well I did it. I went with that decision to have the Streetfighter cam put in and OH MY GOD I LOVE IT!!!!!!

When I rocked up at JMM yesterday, it was only to get a wheel alignment done BUT after chatting with Brendan about cams, he said something to me that he shouldn’t have – and themz words were “we can do it now if you want” Oh big mistake! What could I do? I couldn’t refuse now could I? I mean the car was already there anyway. May as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone I thought. (Please don’t take that literally. I love birds. I would never kill a bird. I am their friend)

So this afternoon I got the email from Jim (to pick up the car) and he started that email with “You are going to be excited!” lol.

I've gone from 120rwkw to 134rwkw. I was stoked but at the same time I was also a little disappointed, (as I told Jim and Brendan) that it didn’t hit the 140 mark and even Brendan couldn’t understand why that was BUT who cares, this new power increase is amazing. If this is it’s performance at 134, I can only imagine it at 140. I'm absolutely rapt! I have what I wanted and it's enough for me.

Next will be the chip so I’ll definitely get my 140 if not more (Brendan will play around with it)

My idle though is jumpy. Not a lot. I actually like the idles 'bounce' but I will get them to look at it when I go back in a few weeks.

Casper, if possible, could you please post up my new dyno sheet on aufalcon.com and also update the rwkw info. When you have time ofcourse – no rush. I'll email you the new dyno chart and if you could post it here for me aswell, I'd appreciate that (if you can)

Well I'll end this story with a huge thanks to everyone who helped me make the decision when I originally posted the "upgrade" thread over at FF. All your advice was and is so much appreciated and it helped me with the decisions on what to do with my car & I couldn't be happier. Thanks everyone
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2005, 06:55 PM   #2
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Was it just the cam they did ? If there was a discrepancy in power due to not having the entire kit then I guess you could give them some leeway.

Congratulations either way. I'm still spewing I don't have my dev5 in at the moment. The 31st of January seems so far away....

So how's the car go at different speeds etc ?

Has Fez and XB.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2005, 07:08 PM   #3
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Well the thing is that Brendan told me I should get 140 with just the cam change and considering I have most of the Streetfighter kit in my car already it should have reached higher than 134. The 3 of us spoke about it today and yeah we just don't get it.

Brendan was gonna try running it with different tyres but I forgot to leave them the thingy for my locknutes, lol ooops. Next time, Brendan will swap tyres and run it again and see if there's a difference. But like I said, I am totally 100% lovin' the results of 134 and I'm getting the chip done next so I'm not stressed really. Confused but not stressed.

As far as how it goes at diff speeds - awesome! A huge increase throughout the whole rev range. I definately feel a big difference.
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
Old 14-01-2005, 08:03 PM   #4
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU_Fairmont -S-
Well the thing is that Brendan told me I should get 140 with just the cam change and considering I have most of the Streetfighter kit in my car already it should have reached higher than 134. The 3 of us spoke about it today and yeah we just don't get it.

Brendan was gonna try running it with different tyres but I forgot to leave them the thingy for my locknutes, lol ooops. Next time, Brendan will swap tyres and run it again and see if there's a difference. But like I said, I am totally 100% lovin' the results of 134 and I'm getting the chip done next so I'm not stressed really. Confused but not stressed.

As far as how it goes at diff speeds - awesome! A huge increase throughout the whole rev range. I definately feel a big difference.
Thats excellent news. If you have that much power all round then you will kick my butt with the same cam.Mine is slower off the mark than stock but it picks up at around 60 kays... I think it has everything to do with cam timing.In my last engine i got 150 rwkws with the same cam ,but it idled rough and low down power came whenever it felt like it.Now with the same cam I am getting 140.6 rwkws with heaps better idle and better low down torque.

Dont focus too much on top end power ,because its the power all round which makes the difference.

Last edited by Stav; 14-01-2005 at 08:10 PM.
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 02:37 AM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Great to hear Krissy..I must be a BAD influence on you. Seems whenever we chat you end up at JMM getting some goodies not long after.

I'm really happy for you too and dont worry too much about peak rwkw, its just a number. I'm guessing you can feel it is a significant change to your car...far more than 14rwkw would suggest. Its all about drivability..

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 02:39 AM   #6
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Thats excellent news. If you have that much power all round then you will kick my butt with the same cam. Mine is slower off the mark than stock but it picks up at around 60 kays... I think it has everything to do with cam timing.In my last engine i got 150 rwkws with the same cam ,but it idled rough and low down power came whenever it felt like it.Now with the same cam I am getting 140.6 rwkws with heaps better idle and better low down torque.

Dont focus too much on top end power ,because its the power all round which makes the difference.
Mine's doing exactly that. It picks up at around 50/60k's but once it's picked up then it's all good I picked up a friend and took it for a good 100k run tonight to see how she goes and it's just awesome. I can't believe the difference. But I learnt a couple of things tonight...

1) My idle is fvckd big time. It's all over the place now and it's just stuffed. It was fine earlier but now it's just shocking and 2) I noticed that the cam doesn't always kick in right off and it lags a few times here and there.

I'll get intouch with Brendan and get it sorted out. Also, PM headed your way.
Old 15-01-2005, 02:55 AM   #7
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Great to hear Krissy..I must be a BAD influence on you. Seems whenever we chat you end up at JMM getting some goodies not long after.

I'm really happy for you too and dont worry too much about peak rwkw, it's just a number. I'm guessing you can feel it is a significant change to your car...far more than 14rwkw would suggest. Its all about drivability..
Yes it seems I do end up at JMM after speaking with you so I'm not talking to you anymore :P

Like I already said - I'm not stressed over the numbers. I can feel the improvement all 'round and that's what it comes down to for me. But I'm gonna have to get this idle sorted out before I do anything else.
Old 15-01-2005, 04:06 AM   #8
carratt
I Love My T3

awesome news to hear krissy
carratt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 04:13 AM   #9
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by carratt
awesome news to hear krissy
Thanks Brad You know what LOL I forgot that I also had a wheel alignment done. Finally, the car goes straight and that's a good thing
Old 15-01-2005, 07:35 AM   #10
hambo_12

Quote:
Thanks Brad You know what LOL I forgot that I also had a wheel alignment done. Finally, the car goes straight and that's a good thing
yes, a good thing, but not the most important im sure..... :Reverend:
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 09:20 AM   #11
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Yes it seems I do end up at JMM after speaking with you so I'm not talking to you anymore :P

Like I already said - I'm not stressed over the numbers. I can feel the improvement all 'round and that's what it comes down to for me. But I'm gonna have to get this idle sorted out before I do anything else.
The idle should work itself out in a week or so. The ECU is still trying to come to terms with the new cam I'd say.

Old 15-01-2005, 10:53 AM   #12
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Coping with the crappy idle after disconnecting the battery sucks...

Has Fez and XB.

Old 15-01-2005, 03:08 PM   #13
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great news! What sort of chip are you looking at? I gotta look into a JMM kit i think
Old 15-01-2005, 05:43 PM   #14
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
31st January? Oh mannnn that's ages away :P

LG - I'm kinda back at the drawing board over the chip. I had decided on Chiptorque but I had yet another in-depth chat with someone the other day and I'm leaning back over to Unichip. So basically, I don't know (again) lol.

You should look into JMM. I won't hesitate recommending them to anyone. Some people have said that they charge more than others BUT what you get is worth every cent in my opinion. I get along with Jim and Brendan really well and if you can feel that comfortable with people that are going to work on your car then you can't go wrong.

Also, I wanted to mention that the petrol usage has changed drastically. As Casper may recall, I was saying that the car struggled to hit 500k/l on freeway driving. Well I got 690k/l last night and it's gone from 14.9/-15.9L/km average to only 9.2/9.3L/km. I drove all over Melb last night and back home then to Broady Plaza today and back and only went through a ¼ tank in fuel so there's definately an economical improvement there. Gotta be happy with that. I also noticed today how nice the car sounds and that the idle isn't as erratic so maybe Casper's right - maybe I gotta give it a week or so and not stress so much about it.
Old 15-01-2005, 06:35 PM   #15
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Choosing a chip is always the fun part, it really comes down to what you want.

The unichip and the Chiptorque will tune a car exactly the same, they simply do the same thing. The key is there are far more places that can tune a unichip and therefore it is usually much, much easier to get done. If just a tune to optimum specs is all you want then the unichip is the go.

The Chiptorque comes into its own when you want to modify (or have future capability to modify) other settings. Things like speed limiters, rev limiters, BBM and VCT change points, auto shift points, torque limitation sensors (being worked on now by Lachlan) and base idle functions are all the domain of the Chiptorque. Of course price is also a feature but...and its a big but... to get allthis done means custom changes and this is nowhere near as simple as getting a unichip retuned.

So, if its just a tune and money isnt an issue, the unichip is probably the better bet. If you want more in the future then I would have to say the Chiptorque.

Old 15-01-2005, 10:16 PM   #16
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
My first dev 4 cam idled well when I installed it .However after 3 disconnections it idled very poorly.However I had it severly retarded. I have never disconnected the battery to this newer engine as I am a bit worried about the idle.The guy that put it in said he advanced it up from stock a little so that the auto would idle ok.So far he was right.I have 9 more rwkws at 60 kmph but 9 rwkws less at 180 kmph from last time . I have never driven a car at 180 kmph so whats the point??I am much better off now because 9 rwkws at 60 kmph is much more noticeable than 180!!

Kristeena ..put the power button on ..it makes a big difference to this cam.I dont know why but it does. Another member from the last forum also had a dev 4 and it went the same way as mine with the power button on.
Believe me you are well ahead of the xr6 au hp fords .i would love to see your air fuel ratios on a readable dyno sheet.If they the same as mine..I would be very interested.Mine run extremely close to optimal without a chip.However I do believe that the dev 4 requires a chip to restore low down power in an automatic and optimise low down ignition timing and fuel ratios. Unichip is a fine product but I do believe that it cannot adjust idle quality,automatic transmision shift points,rev limiter or speed limter.

Last edited by Stav; 15-01-2005 at 10:53 PM.
Old 16-01-2005, 09:19 PM   #17
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

This car acts differently every day :
Old 19-01-2005, 05:48 PM   #18
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Just an update on the idle issue. Rang Jim today and he's quite surprised. Said that there normally isn't an issue with the idle when doing this cam so we'll see how we go on Friday. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 21-01-2005, 12:32 AM   #19
The Mighty Red

Great to hear another AU on the move.just wondering is the streetfighter cam the same as a dev3 HL?
hope you get the idle sorted soon and keep us posted.
Old 21-01-2005, 12:43 AM   #20
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by our_blue_xr6
Great to hear another AU on the move.just wondering is the streetfighter cam the same as a dev3 HL?
hope you get the idle sorted soon and keep us posted.
Lol I dunno about on the move. Today it stalled twice on me when taking off at the lights. Certainly wasn't on the move :P Thank god no-one was behind me when it happened coz the rear of my car wouldn't have been in trouble. I trust Brendan and Jim will have this sorted out tomorrow.

The Streetfighter cam is/was a.k.a Dev4 cam.
Old 21-01-2005, 10:22 PM   #21
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Well I had a blast at JMM today lol. Spent about 2½ hours there. We think we've found the problem that's caused the idle to behave strangely. Brendan whacked on the comp and it showed up a fault with the knock sensor and the power steering sensor. Brendan mentioned that a 'speed' fault did show up on the Dyno but he couldn't work out what it was. That 'speed' fault showed up again today and after changing the oxygen sensor, the fault disappeared. We think it's fixed - we hope it is. He took it for a run and said it "screamed" and is now running the way it should be. He also threw in a new set of Autolites. I'm waiting for the car to re-learn and see if that fault comes back. I hope it doesn't. For now, it's running A1. I'm gonna have the steering sensor changed this week and then I have to go back to JMM and have the car checked again. If after changing the sensors, the car still plays up, I'll scream!!

Also, when Brendan took the car for a spin a couple of times, he reckons that there's more power there than what was shown on the Dyno. Even he said that he couldn't understand why I was only getting 134 when after driving it he knew there was more - and there is. Something strange is goin' on lol. I really wanna get it back on the Dyno. Will update more after the p/s sensor is changed.
Old 21-01-2005, 10:24 PM   #22
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Well I had a blast at JMM today lol. Spent about 2½ hours there. We think we've found the problem that's caused the idle to behave strangely. Brendan whacked on the comp and it showed up a fault with the knock sensor and the power steering sensor. Brendan mentioned that a 'speed' fault did show up on the Dyno but he couldn't work out what it was. That 'speed' fault showed up again today and after changing the oxygen sensor, the fault disappeared. We think it's fixed - we hope it is. He took it for a run and said it "screamed" and is now running the way it should be. He also threw in a new set of Autolites. I'm waiting for the car to re-learn and see if that fault comes back. I hope it doesn't. For now, it's running A1. I'm gonna have the steering sensor changed this week and then I have to go back to JMM and have the car checked again. If after changing the sensors, the car still plays up, I'll scream!!

Also, when Brendan took the car for a spin a couple of times, he reckons that there's more power there than what was shown on the Dyno. Even he said that he couldn't understand why I was only getting 134 when after driving it he knew there was more - and there is. Something strange is goin' on lol. I really wanna get it back on the Dyno. Will update more after the p/s sensor is changed.
Great to hear Krissy. And maybe you should bring it to the aufalcon.com dyno day on Feb 5th? Just for a second opinion :Reverend:

Old 21-01-2005, 10:42 PM   #23
The Mighty Red

Quote:

great to hear your good news , I've only ever heard good things about JMM so i'm sure they get it sorted :
Old 21-01-2005, 11:10 PM   #24
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by our_blue_xr6
I've only ever heard good things about JMM so i'm sure they get it sorted :
JMMs reputation has taken a large U-turn from the early posts on their work on the "other" FF. Good to see they are getting the acclaim that they genuinely seem to deserve. There are certainly many more satisfied JMM customers now than there was before (if, in fact, any of them were customers!).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2005, 01:45 PM   #25
loxxr6
XB in parts...

JMMs reputation has taken a large U-turn from the early posts on their work on the "other" FF. Good to see they are getting the acclaim that they genuinely seem to deserve. There are certainly many more satisfied JMM customers now than there was before (if, in fact, any of them were customers!).

There are so many more people (in particular AU's ??) that are getting good results from them and are being vocal about it.

Has Fez and XB.

Old 22-01-2005, 01:59 PM   #26
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
There are so many more people (in particular AU's ??) that are getting good results from them and are being vocal about it.
I think its always been this way, difference now it that a lot of us have had enough with the JMM bagging and wont put up with it anymore. Usually it is either a distortion of the truth or an outright lie.

In then end I've met many people who have used JMM and so far only 1 dissatisfied customer. There are plenty who dont want to pay the prices asked (and thats fine, I dont blame them, its not for everyone) but peole that actually do buy it are almost always full of praise. Based on that I say that JMM gear is exactly what its advertised to be.

Old 23-01-2005, 02:24 PM   #27
Stav
Smile

The biggest difference with JMM is that they know their products and they care enough to help out when you get stuck. I think the idle issue will be solved .....
Old 25-01-2005, 11:33 AM   #28
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

I hope so because I'm about fed up with it all now. On top of that, since changing the HEGO sensor, I'm still waiting for it to return to good fuel economy. At the moment, it's running anywhere betweem 20L/km - 35L/km but it's averaging at around 25L/km. I'm hoping it will return back to normal this week. I know it will eventually all get sorted out but still, it's really upsetting.
Old 28-01-2005, 07:50 AM   #29
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

I got my car back yesterday and the idle has definately improved with the new sensor but it still choked on me. I don't get it. I ran a VP yesterday and blew him away (and omg that was awesome) so there's no question on the car's performance but after I did what I had to do, pulling into my street, it choked, but only slightly. Actually, it felt more like it had hesitated than choked. Go figure! I'll still go back to JMM today but really, I'd like to give it a few more days because it's not as bad as when the cam was first done so maybe for some reason, it's taking a little longer for everything to work in harmony. Basically, rather than waste Brendan's time yet again, I'd rather wait and see if it all comes together on it's own. My only concern with waiting is that in the meantime the l/km is still too high which is not good.
Old 29-01-2005, 02:17 AM   #30
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

All sorted out and I'm rapped! I also learnt a few things today. Hmmm let's see I learnt that Casper is a bad influence and that you should never let Jim reverse your car out of the warehouse because he likes to smoke 'em right there infront of you lol. Oh he's a shocker ! :

Brendan also taught me how to adapt to driving the car with this cam. I've been driving it as if it still had the stock cam, as in when I take off, I take off lightly coz I'm so use to the car launching with a feather touch but I've been driving it wrong and I swear, since he showed me how to drive it, it's a whole new feeling in the car now and doing what he taught me, the car didn't once choke or hesitate at take off. Sorry if that all sounds confusing but it's hard to explain. He explained (in detail) how the cam works and how the car has changed low down and how I should be using the pedal etc...

This was me --> : and this was Brendan --> :

It's running beautifully now and I can't wait to get it back on the Dyno

Last edited by FRDGAL; 29-01-2005 at 06:28 AM.