Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Closed Thread

Old 27-09-2006, 03:44 PM   #31
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot
Well problem solved anyway BLC's G&D kit comes with K&N Filter
Do you have K&N or G&D Stickers to advertise on my car?? lol

mmmm dodging the boss lol sounds familiar BLC
I can get you as many G&D stickers as you like

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 27-09-2006, 03:47 PM   #32
nat_daly
Nat D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
I can get you as many G&D stickers as you like
yeah? you got any big ones to put across my back windscreen? lol

also, as casper said before, if you cut the front off the airbox above the filter, it works very well with a high flow panel filter
old ride#1: ED XR6 5 speed-gone to new home:(
old ride#2:dumped EL fairmont 5l
new ride: Winter white AU2 XR8-manual
Old 27-09-2006, 03:49 PM   #33
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99XR6
i'm looknig at one of these G&D kits as well, just curious how much of a difference they make and what is included in the kit.
Theres a bit of info about it in my post in my car build section: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...1&postcount=99

Old 27-09-2006, 03:49 PM   #34
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_daly
yeah? you got any big ones to put across my back windscreen? lol
Yep, think so. I'll have a look. I have a few spare floating around of most sizes..

Old 27-09-2006, 03:57 PM   #35
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99XR6
i'm looknig at one of these G&D kits as well, just curious how much of a difference they make and what is included in the kit.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=2821

G&D :sm_headba
Old 27-09-2006, 03:58 PM   #36
Rob
Living the dream

When I've got some spare cash floating about, I'm gonna take the GTS down to G&D
Old 27-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #37
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot
HLC Will be able to help out with a link
there is a huge write up about the G&D Kit in a thread somewhere... he DID have it on the for sale section until i said I'd buy it off him and the thread was removed.
no i cant :

you mean BLC :P
Old 27-09-2006, 04:07 PM   #38
99XR6

thanks casper
Old 27-09-2006, 04:22 PM   #39
nat_daly
Nat D

Quote:
Yep, think so. I'll have a look. I have a few spare floating around of most sizes..
ok cheers, send me a pm, and if you got one ill probably take it..
Thanks,
Nat
(PS i dont actually have G&D performance gear, i just like there logo..lol)
Old 28-09-2006, 10:21 AM   #40
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

Shotgun the best sticker lol
Joke Joke
PM sent casper
Momo Gear Knob
Schmick Pioneer Headunit w/ Dolphinvision :
4 Channel Kicker Amp to decent speakers;
Alpine Monoblock to Pioneer Subwoofer;
Tuned to perfect clarity-

Outside:

Pure Sexy Falcon w/18" BA XR8 Factory Option Mags
Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon:
Pedders lowered Sports Ryders all 'round
Extractors/Exhaust/Hi-Flo Cat
Old 28-09-2006, 10:24 AM   #41
nat_daly
Nat D

back off..lol thats my sticker, i'll call the terrorist hotline on you..haha
Old 28-09-2006, 05:23 PM   #42
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Depends on how serious you are about performance. To me $600 on a body kit to add weight to an effectively stock car is pointless too.. but I'm not into that, I'm into performance. Each to their own.
Well, to me $600 on instantly transforming the look of a car is cheap in comparison to blowing $600 on a cold air intake which will make SFA difference down the 1/4 mile...
I can't warrant spending lots of money on these cars with not a whole lot of perfomance gain...
To me an expensive cold air intake is like having a bucket on the Titanic.. it doesn't really make much of a difference for the price.
Old 28-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #43
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
http://www.aunger.com.au/hidden/item...676079582.html. They are $195, and in real life, ie. under Glenns bonnet, it looked HUGE. Way bigger than all the others.
Heres the infamous paris hilton air intake, way more air than any n/a 6cyl could EVER need. Also it has a mean induction roar.
Old 28-09-2006, 05:41 PM   #44
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

NICE where did you get the Falcon badge on the cover thing
Did you paint the rocker cover yourself?
Momo Gear Knob

Outside:

Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon:
Old 28-09-2006, 05:46 PM   #45
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tibbo painted my rocker cover and did a great job, i think he's gonna do some more. Its full 2 pack body colour (regency red) with 3 coats of 2pack clear and the badge on the belt cover is off a BA falcon. (bf/ba badge both the same)
Old 28-09-2006, 05:50 PM   #46
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

Hmmm sounds complicated, might just get mine powder coated...
Momo Gear Knob

Outside:

Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon:
Old 28-09-2006, 06:01 PM   #47
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennAUII
Well, to me $600 on instantly transforming the look of a car is cheap in comparison to blowing $600 on a cold air intake which will make SFA difference down the 1/4 mile...
I can't warrant spending lots of money on these cars with not a whole lot of perfomance gain...
To me an expensive cold air intake is like having a bucket on the Titanic.. it doesn't really make much of a difference for the price.
As I said, its all about how serious you are in regards to performance. Most people wouldnt get 4.11 diff gears, a huge stall, custom made exhaust etc either but to me these things are worth it. Its a matter of whats important. Personally I cant even imagine spending $1000 on a basic stereo setup but many people do and its worth every cent to them. To me a sub woofer is a sub woofer, they all sound the same and do the same. This is obviously not the case but its just not important to me. Each to their own in the end.
As for making SFA difference, I think you are wrong. The G&D intake, on my car, has certainly made a performance impact. We are not talking massive but I suspect there is certainly an improvement in the higher rpms where the stock factory airbox simply wasnt able to provide enough air that was smooth and freeflowing enough to assist the engine at those rpms. Of course not everyone takes there car to those sorts of rpms (in fact you need to remove the cutout to do it) so its a matter of getting the right gear for the job. In my case the "job" requires something like the G&D intake.

Old 28-09-2006, 06:30 PM   #48
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An F6 typhoon wouldn't need much bigger than the one i have..
I'm not talking about how much i spend on bodykits and sound systems etc.. i'm talking about cold air intakes, and as far as i'm concerned on an N/A I6 engine the CAI i have would suffice ver nicely.
Old 28-09-2006, 06:40 PM   #49
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
An F6 typhoon wouldn't need much bigger than the one i have..
I'm not talking about how much i spend on bodykits and sound systems etc.. i'm talking about cold air intakes, and as far as i'm concerned on an N/A I6 engine the CAI i have would suffice ver nicely.
I'm using bodykits and sound systems as examples only. Its a matter of what you like.
As for F6's and XR6T's running intakes... have a look in the bonnet of the really quick ones.. they are running aftermarket intakes in most cases.
There is nothing wrong with your CAI, thats not whats in question. Theres also nothing "wrong" with factory heads, mild cams, factory ECU's either. But they can all be improved apon. If you are happy with your CAI thats all that matters but dont kid yourself into thinking that the engine cant use more. Its not just a matter of getting air into the airbox, its a matter of the entire design. The airbox is a compromised, mass market design. Its like the exhaust. You can put a 4" cat back on but it wont make a lick of difference over a 2.5" one. Its nothing to do with not being able to get the exhaust out, its the fact that the headers are fundimentally flawed and need to be improved as well. Airbox is the same. You can have a 44 gallon drum feeding it air but the design is compromised to start with. If that small compromise is not worth worrying about (as the stock stereo in my AU is a compromise I'm quite happy to live with) then there is no need to spend money removing it. That said though you cant just pretend that the compromise doesnt exist. IT does.

Old 28-09-2006, 06:43 PM   #50
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Intakes wont give you **** neways, if you want real power get a V8 or a Supercharger, why keep spending money on crazy clarks mods when at the end of the day they are only going to get you marginally quicker then stock.
Old 28-09-2006, 06:49 PM   #51
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Depends on how serious you are about performance. To me $600 on a body kit to add weight to an effectively stock car is pointless too.. but I'm not into that, I'm into performance. Each to their own.

LOL $600 for CAI.

Would want to give you an extra 15 - 20 rwkw + for that sorta money.

I doubt the results would represent the intial outlay.
Old 28-09-2006, 06:50 PM   #52
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm using bodykits and sound systems as examples only. Its a matter of what you like.
As for F6's and XR6T's running intakes... have a look in the bonnet of the really quick ones.. they are running aftermarket intakes in most cases.
There is nothing wrong with your CAI, thats not whats in question. Theres also nothing "wrong" with factory heads, mild cams, factory ECU's either. But they can all be improved apon. If you are happy with your CAI thats all that matters but dont kid yourself into thinking that the engine cant use more. Its not just a matter of getting air into the airbox, its a matter of the entire design. The airbox is a compromised, mass market design. Its like the exhaust. You can put a 4" cat back on but it wont make a lick of difference over a 2.5" one. Its nothing to do with not being able to get the exhaust out, its the fact that the headers are fundimentally flawed and need to be improved as well. Airbox is the same. You can have a 44 gallon drum feeding it air but the design is compromised to start with. If that small compromise is not worth worrying about (as the stock stereo in my AU is a compromise I'm quite happy to live with) then there is no need to spend money removing it. That said though you cant just pretend that the compromise doesnt exist. IT does.
You seem to be missing the point..
If you put a G&D intake on foxtrots car then ran the paris hilton intake on it.. 2 tests down the 1/4 mile.. i bet it'd make an extremely miniscule if any
difference in times. Therefore.. waste of money. I'm saying, G&D intakes aren't the single best option here. End of story.
Old 28-09-2006, 06:53 PM   #53
Rob
Living the dream

That G&D pod really transformed my car you know, however in truth I think it was a matter of my mods being more than a sum of their parts, if you get my drift. They all work together to create a much freer revving, better breathing more powerful motor. I think - and correct me if im wrong - that is what Casper is getting at.

Alone, the CAI wont blow your socks off, but as part of a setup, its essential.....
Old 28-09-2006, 06:54 PM   #54
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
LOL $600 for CAI.

Would want to give you an extra 15 - 20 rwkw + for that sorta money.

I doubt the results would represent the intial outlay.

According to my dyno sheet, I gained 5rwkw.... as I said in my previous post, as part of a package.. yes please! I'd spend it again.
Old 28-09-2006, 06:55 PM   #55
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not bagging you but.. 5rwkw for $600 doesn't sound like value for money to me... my 2c
Old 28-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #56
Rob
Living the dream

True, but thats looking at it in isolation. Dyno figures are always misleading. The pod was part of a package that included extractors, cat, exhaust and intake. It made a huge difference. I sold my AU to my parents, and they took off the pod, now using the tickford snorkel with paper air filter... poor thing cant breathe. Dyno figures only tell half the story. 5rwkw over a 2500rpm rev band.. great!
Old 28-09-2006, 07:00 PM   #57
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Intakes wont give you **** neways, if you want real power get a V8 or a Supercharger, why keep spending money on crazy clarks mods when at the end of the day they are only going to get you marginally quicker then stock.
Thats like me asking you why did you buy a jacked up softroader station wagon wannabe 4x4 when you could have got a REAL 4x4 like a Patrol or Cruiser? Why waste money on what is a crazy pretend 4x4 when its RWD only layout is going to make it only marginally better than a BA Stationwagon?

I'm guessing that it suits your purpose right? How about pulling your head in and lay off the "crazy clarks" comments... maybe go drive up a hills somewhere?

Old 28-09-2006, 07:02 PM   #58
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC
That G&D pod really transformed my car you know, however in truth I think it was a matter of my mods being more than a sum of their parts, if you get my drift. They all work together to create a much freer revving, better breathing more powerful motor. I think - and correct me if im wrong - that is what Casper is getting at.

Alone, the CAI wont blow your socks off, but as part of a setup, its essential.....
Yes, thats what I'm saying.
How it will work on Foxtrots car at the moment I dont know but given he's already talking about Cams and the likes it seemed to me he wanted more than the standard intake to suit more than the satandard mods.

Old 28-09-2006, 07:07 PM   #59
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thats like me asking you why did you buy a jacked up softroader station wagon wannabe 4x4 when you could have got a REAL 4x4 like a Patrol or Cruiser? Why waste money on what is a crazy pretend 4x4 when its RWD only layout is going to make it only marginally better than a BA Stationwagon?

I'm guessing that it suits your purpose right? How about pulling your head in and lay off the "crazy clarks" comments... maybe go drive up a hills somewhere?
Why change the topic to bodykits and stereos and territories, we're talking about cold air intakes here. No need to get personal mate...
Value for money is the issue.
Old 28-09-2006, 07:18 PM   #60
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Why change the topic to bodykits and stereos and territories, we're talking about cold air intakes here. No need to get personal mate...
Value for money is the issue.
OK, cold air intakes it is... not V8's, not superchargers, not calling people what want to mod AU I6's "crazy clark" specials... hang on, I didn't do that.

Value for money I think the G&D intake I have on my car is worth every cent I PAID FOR IT for the performance increase it gives ME. I think anything less is wasted money.. simple as that. The G&D intake is superior. Not by huge amounts as anything on these cars are measured in small gains.. but enough to make it something that is BETTER than the standard airbox.
You can argue all you like.. but it wont change my mind that I think its value for money for what I want to achieve. Of course I will never convince you of that because you don't want to achieve the same thing I do. That's fine with me.. but don't try and tell me that its wasted money because YOU think it is. (hence the bodykit analogy.. just because I see it as something I wouldn't buy for a stock car, I have no right to tell you its wasted money as it fulfils something YOU want to achieve).

Closed Thread