Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 18-11-2018, 02:21 PM   #1
Mackspower

Post SOLVED: Poor AM Radio Reception

I wanted to share at least one fix for poor AM Radio reception.

Judging by the number of hits I got on google and forum searches . . . this is a relatively common issue for later model Mondeos.

In my case - the cause was poor connections on the AM/FM antenna amplifier.
This amplifier is located under a plastic pull-off panel on the top interior of the hatch door (boot lid). In my case there where two separate issues:

1. The phantom power connector (+12V) was barely holding on (I assume this works loose due to the percussive impact of closing the hatch over many years)
2. The bolted earth connection was not clean

I have highlighted the two connectors in the attached picture. I cleaned them both with 600 wet-and-dry sandpaper and wiped clean with isopropyl alcohol. In the case of the bolted connection - clean the bolt AND the tab from the amplifier unit. Be thorough. I avoid using contact cleaners these days but use whatever cleaning agent you trust.

AM reception has returned to full strength. Night and Day difference.

Hope this helps someone . . . share your experiences.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mondeo-AM-FM-Reception-Notate.jpg (133.8 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by Mackspower; 18-11-2018 at 02:27 PM. Reason: edit: spelling :-)
Mackspower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2020, 09:49 AM   #2
Jesmol

Default Re: SOLVED: Poor AM Radio Reception

Hmmm, something very interesting I've just noticed, I did this on mine the other day, and the inside panel of the tailgate is constructed very differently, mine looks to be a cast aluminium panel, its much thicker than a std steel pressing.
Jesmol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2021, 07:25 PM   #3
Chapps57
Starter Motor

Gday All,
First post so bare with me please, 6 months ago purchased at auction a black 2016 Diesel Mondeo Hatch Trend, with an AM and DAB reception problem. After reading a couple of posts I decided I would attempt a fix. A long story short the solution was to install the coax from the left amp (FM ONLY) into the (AM FM Dab) amp on the right, noting the left amp coax (white fitting) will not go into the right amp. You must remove the white connector from the amp remove the red clip and slide out the coax, bring the cable back to the right amp. You can not install the white connector from the left amp into the right amp you must remove the coax from the right amp's black connector again remove the red clip and install the coax from the left amp into the right amps black connector, replacing the red clip. You can see the original right amp coax hanging out in the photo. Do not try to install the white connector into the black amp it will not go in.

All there was to do then was to put the cover back on the underside of the hatch and set the AM and Dab stations.
Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Chapps57; 25-09-2021 at 07:28 PM. Reason: no photo
Chapps57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2021, 07:29 PM   #4
Chapps57
Starter Motor

Chapps57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post