Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-04-2021, 02:35 PM   #31
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: what is the hardest car brand to work on?

very disappointed I n you all. Ford loving gypsies and no one has mentioned the Holden name.
l would curl up dead if I ever went near an olden
Old 12-04-2021, 02:43 PM   #32
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A gentleman is someone who, 'though he knows the name, chooses NOT to utter it!!!
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2021, 04:47 PM   #33
5thFordWA

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Most mid engined cars. Fiat X 1/9 and De Tomaso Pantera are two I have worked on that particularly come to mind. I was flattered to be asked to have a look at a friend of a friends Pantera many, many years ago; I think they were hoping I was not going to say it needed new spark plugs but it did and even with access holes behind the seats it was no fun but still better than the Fiat as I recall (brake and clutch hydraulics). Having big fat arthritic hands doesn't help in confined spaces. But I have learnt the value of buying special tools for these sort of jobs.
Have worked on a fairly new Pantera myself years ago so I know your pain. I had to do something at the front of the engine, maybe replace or tighten the alternator belt, or something simple. You know the drill Aussieblue, remove both seats and insulated trim panel behind seats, remove sealed firewall panel with about 20 screws to get a manhole to front of engine, then you can at least get a visual on the front of the engine, and sit facing backwards on the console with your knees up around your ears to work on it.
To check/top up battery, easiest to jack and remove RHR wheel and the inner mud guard, then use a mirror looking from the wheel arch.
I did learn how to check the engine oil without removing the engine cover. reaching in with left arm from rear of engine, pull up dipstick about 100mm then bend the flexible dipstick through 90deg and withdraw it out the back. Replacing it you had to reach the tip of the dipstick in and twist the end into the tube by feel and push the stick back in. It was my "special skill", good fun.

But I did work on one car which sticks in my mind as EASY to work on. A VOLVO 240, about 1980 vintage when I had a workshop. Just a book service and I thought "here we go", but it was amazing. Had to change the fuel filter, metal canister up in the corner below the RH bonnet hinge, held in by something like a 12mm AF hex bolt. Then I see a 25mm hole cut in the body panel gusset to access that bolt - what? - they actually recognised the difficulty and designed in an access hole! Then I had to work in the console/dash area, and it was actually held together with Phillips head screws, not break-off plastic tabs. I had to have a drink to recover myself after that shock!

Cheers.
2016 SZ Territory TX 4.0 Petrol (6th & last?)(Sadly, written off)
2004 WRX (Retirement Toy)

Last edited by 5thFordWA; 12-04-2021 at 04:58 PM.
5thFordWA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2021, 04:56 PM   #34
5thFordWA

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
very disappointed I n you all. Ford loving gypsies and no one has mentioned the Holden name.
l would curl up dead if I ever went near an olden
Yes, but not that hard to work on, although I do remember once checking a early 253 or 308 V8 with aircon compressor mounted high up LHF of engine for engine miss. Found LHF sparkplug (No 2 I think GM call it - we Ford people would call it No 5) completed eroded away - once I had finally removed it. It would appear all 7 other plugs had been replaced several times but that one was such a b*****d it had never been removed.

And I have replaced the 3 timing chains in a VE SV6, now that was a mission, but enjoyed the challenge!

Cheers.
2016 SZ Territory TX 4.0 Petrol (6th & last?)(Sadly, written off)
2004 WRX (Retirement Toy)
5thFordWA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-04-2021, 11:01 AM   #35
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Duesenberg. No doubt about it.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2021, 11:02 AM   #36
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
I remember when front wheel drive cars became popular back in the early 80s and people were dreading to do a clutch change, they were putting the price up because it was a front wheel drive,
This trend was still alive and well by the time I got my P plates in 2010. At least, in rural SA it was.
Old 13-04-2021, 12:59 PM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

VW Amarok. For whatever reason the wheels don't go on studs with a nut to hold them on. They actually sit on the hub, and have long bolts that bolt the wheel directly to the hub. Weird.

Makes getting the wheel back on a pain in the ****, cause you not only have to sit the wheel on the tiny little hub edge, but you also have to get it positioned in the right spot to be able to get the bolts in the holes. And they are only 5 bolt, not 6 stud like all other utes i've worked on. Bloody germans always have to do things differently.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2021, 01:15 PM   #38
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
VW Amarok. For whatever reason the wheels don't go on studs with a nut to hold them on. They actually sit on the hub, and have long bolts that bolt the wheel directly to the hub. Weird.

Makes getting the wheel back on a pain in the ****, cause you not only have to sit the wheel on the tiny little hub edge, but you also have to get it positioned in the right spot to be able to get the bolts in the holes. And they are only 5 bolt, not 6 stud like all other utes i've worked on. Bloody germans always have to do things differently.
Mercedes have had the 'bolt' system for years, they usually come with a guide stud that can be screwed into the hub to line up the holes.
Old 13-04-2021, 01:33 PM   #39
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Mercedes have had the 'bolt' system for years, they usually come with a guide stud that can be screwed into the hub to line up the holes.
Audi and Honda use this system as well. Not sure how many other manufacturers do.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2021, 06:31 PM   #40
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Makes a lot of sense from one perspective - many wheel failures where aftermarket (incorrectly sized) wheels don't sit on the hub, but use the wheel stud itself, great for a while... I think old holden v new holden had same/similar PCD but different hub size of a few mm...

I hear Boxster/Cayman are designed for 100% engine attention from underneath.

I know the porsche turbo has the engine dropped for spark plug replacement, but not too expensive, as its designed that way (as long as its in the air).
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2021, 06:58 PM   #41
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=383hq;6567321
I hear Boxster/Cayman are designed for 100% engine attention from underneath.[/QUOTE]

Plugs, oil and filters from underneath, air filter from top - just bend a lot, belts from front - just remove cabin access. Not a big deal. On the positive side, oil filter is only $5.50.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2021, 07:13 PM   #42
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke View Post
Plugs, oil and filters from underneath, air filter from top - just bend a lot, belts from front - just remove cabin access. Not a big deal. On the positive side, oil filter is only $5.50.
Oil filter change for a Benz is easy...lift bonnet, unscrew oil filter, screw on new one, close bonnet
Old 13-04-2021, 07:15 PM   #43
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383hq View Post
Makes a lot of sense from one perspective - many wheel failures where aftermarket (incorrectly sized) wheels don't sit on the hub, but use the wheel stud itself, great for a while... I think old holden v new holden had same/similar PCD but different hub size of a few mm...
In Mercedes case (I guess VW Amarok as well), it offers the flexibility to switch between alloy and steel wheels without going to the hassle of stripping the hubs to change the studs. Longer studs to compensate for a thicker alloy rim.

Unsure if thats the reason or if its just a Euro thing.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2021, 07:22 PM   #44
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Or changing wheel nuts....
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2021, 07:54 PM   #45
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
Audi and Honda use this system as well. Not sure how many other manufacturers do.
Pretty standard for a few euros. BMW (at least old ones) use hubs to centre the wheels and wheel bolts. Makes it a pain to get aftermarket rims as they are "hub-centric" and you get the worse wheel vibrations ever if you try fit something not fitting perfectly to the hub (or get spacer rings). They do come with a tool to help mount them but I've never bothered with it. (It's the 'handle' rod for the spark plug socket. One end is grey rubber and that end you put into the wheel bolt hole to hold it while picking up the bolts to fit)

Didn't seem so strange to me as all my old mazdas used wheel bolts instead of lugs and nuts anyway. Lugs and nuts is mainly a USA or domestic US owned marque thing.

Anyway, I think the worst cars to work on would be transverse engines - especially V6. Or any type of mid mounted engines.
Something like tranverse v6 in a van would have to be the worst combo outside of audis and porsches

Last edited by oldel; 13-04-2021 at 08:00 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2021, 08:29 PM   #46
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I've watched a few pro tyre guys almost breaking their backs trying to undo truck left hand side wheel nuts so don't write yourself off yet.
i've undone valiant lefthand wheel nuts ....... then wondered why they broke off - the 2dr i changed the lh studs to rh ..... so i wouldn't break em
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2021, 08:34 PM   #47
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

At least they have something to guide them on.Back in the old beetle days the wheels had great big centres and screw in studs rather than studs and nuts.Fantastic fun on a dark wet night without a torch
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2021, 09:58 AM   #48
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
In Mercedes case (I guess VW Amarok as well), it offers the flexibility to switch between alloy and steel wheels without going to the hassle of stripping the hubs to change the studs. Longer studs to compensate for a thicker alloy rim.

What? Never known of a car needing to change studs to swap between steels and alloys. Falcon and Ranger don't.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2021, 11:17 AM   #49
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
BMWs have these, and very sophisticated security bolts with a ring that just spins if a socket is hammered on.

I assume merc has something similar.

I don't think they could archive this with studs and wheel nuts
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2021, 11:22 AM   #50
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post

with either system the transition between alloy and steel wheels would just be the different nuts or Bolts. you should never need to change the studs?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2021, 12:40 PM   #51
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Oil filter change for a Benz is easy...lift bonnet, unscrew oil filter, screw on new one, close bonnet
What model/year Benz do you have mate? All the cars from that brand I've ever worked on were actually very well laid out and sensible in design.
Old 14-04-2021, 12:45 PM   #52
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyard-dog View Post
what model/year benz do you have mate? All the cars from that brand i've ever worked on were actually very well laid out and sensible in design.
clk240
Old 14-04-2021, 07:49 PM   #53
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
with either system the transition between alloy and steel wheels would just be the different nuts or Bolts. you should never need to change the studs?
Quote:
What? Never known of a car needing to change studs to swap between steels and alloys. Falcon and Ranger don't.
Yeah, over thinking on my part & solely had MB in mind.
The greatest difference in wheel bolts on two of my Mercedes between alloys and steel rim is 35mm.
The wheel bolts sit inside the alloy rim. 12mm thread with a 17mm head - not achievable if it was a stud & nut which would usually take a 21mm socket. Anything larger than a 17mm non impact socket wont get inside the bore of the rim to crack the bolt.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2021, 08:04 PM   #54
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

seeing it hasnt been mentioned already
with my big boofy hands the cars i hate working on are matchbox cars

sorry but some one had to eventually say it

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2021, 08:05 PM   #55
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
seeing it hasnt been mentioned already
with my big boofy hands the cars i hate working on are matchbox cars

sorry but some one had to eventually say it
You don't drive those, you wear them!
Old 15-04-2021, 03:49 AM   #56
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
Duesenberg. No doubt about it.
haha.. that's funny. First problem is to find one.. would have to break into a museum, or Jay Leno's garage.

Second problem would be to afford paying for it. Apparently they go for high 6 figures, and some 7 figures. However, Wikipedia describes that around 1950s they were not popular, and you could have picked up one for $500.

Third problem would be to find parts for it :-)

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2021, 07:50 PM   #57
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not a mechanic, and only got to Kingswood level of servicing, rebuilding carbies, putting on manifolds, dropping driveshafts etc... Timing lights and manually turning the distributor - oh yeah!

But strangely I do enjoy watching complex mechanical failure points on yt and seeing how mechanics overcome them.

Here, the TDV6 in a RR gets pulled apart, and the crank has broken (look how thick the broken section is!). What follows is a quest to buy a 2nd handy (whole motor) - and to spoil the plot a little, then create a FrankenTDV6 out of two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4zXDKlkGhk

8:10: "And look how thick that is for a crankshaft width (?) - that is just p1ss poor. And that's why they're breaking, cos there's just no meat on 'em. That is just such a bad design, it really is, the whole engine's a bad design."

Surely if in Oz, you'd just Barra swap it?

Last edited by Sprintey; 15-04-2021 at 08:03 PM. Reason: added quote
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2021, 07:51 PM   #58
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1 View Post
haha.. that's funny. First problem is to find one.. would have to break into a museum, or Jay Leno's garage.

Second problem would be to afford paying for it. Apparently they go for high 6 figures, and some 7 figures. However, Wikipedia describes that around 1950s they were not popular, and you could have picked up one for $500.

Third problem would be to find parts for it :-)

Cheers,
;) So as you have kindly outlined - it is the hardest brand to work on... because you can't work on something you don't have access to.