Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
Rodge
Banned

Default Diesel Particulate Filter Problems

How are we getting on with this people ? Who's had problems with their DPF in their diesel vehicle ?

Seems many manufacturers are now writing DPF's out of warranties, (from what I hear), and calling them consummable items...an interesting approach when some manfacturers are charging upwards of $5,000 for a replacement DPF from what I hear.

Internet is riddled with stories of DPF problems, just google DPF problems and it appears virtually all the manufacturers are stuggling with this filter blockage / clogging issue.

I wonder if salesmen these days are even bothering to tell customers that they need to take their vehicle for a good hot run at least once a week on the motorway to achieve the required exhaust temperatures to effect a proper regeneration cycle so as to ensure the soot in the DPF is burned off properly. Do manufacturers care that DPF problems can lead to serious unburned diesel fuel ingress into the engine's sump or have they taken the dipstick away from the engine like one manufacturer has that I know of so that people don't know about the fuel ingress into the sump and don't see the oil level going up on the dipstick.

Has much changed since the dramatic problems we had with our diesel vehicle back in 2007 ? All I can see is manufacturers running for cover on this issue, or worse still, burying their head in the sand and and pretending there isn't a problem.

Last edited by Rodge; 21-09-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Diesel Particulate Filter Problems

Didn't Benz and Peugot fix this with a blue urea additive ??????
Old 21-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

Got a diesel captiva for work and it came on once when i got it, took it for a good thrash (keep it over 50km/h) till the light goes off. The Holden service Manager said city driving kills them so dont drive it slow and keep the rpm's up especially around town. I can say that I have happily obliged and in 25000k's have not had it come on again..
GTP-RPD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-RPD
Got a diesel captiva for work and it came on once when i got it, took it for a good thrash (keep it over 50km/h) till the light goes off. The Holden service Manager said city driving kills them so dont drive it slow and keep the rpm's up especially around town. I can say that I have happily obliged and in 25000k's have not had it come on again..
Yeap... in over 200 hours of reasearch on this matter I learned a whole heap of info abotu this issue including
Short trips fill the DPF quickly
Low rev's, low engine load exacerbates the problem
One good open road trip per week is the minimum requirement to keep your DPF operating properly. If you don't do this, its better to create a trip of this type each week than to face the consequences if you don't.
Old 21-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isn't Australian diesel fuel purity grade much lower than what they use in Europe? I though this was the main reason why some of the absolute latest diesel engines could not be sold here ...

Also European car are designed to be driven at higher highway speeds than what we have available to us here, so maybe less people are having such issues over there ...
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder how many people are using the wrong oil in these cases of failure? Engines with DPFs require low ash oils and oil for older diesels are not suitable.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2015, 09:35 PM   #7
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

O
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six View Post
I wonder how many people are using the wrong oil in these cases of failure? Engines with DPFs require low ash oils and oil for older diesels are not suitable.
A lot. Even stealerships can have the wrong oil.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
But if you have to run the engine at higher revs to keep the filters from blocking... doesn't that negate the need for a fuel efficient diesel in the first place?

Probably why diesel in falcon is a silly idea.
Old 20-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #9
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz
But if you have to run the engine at higher revs to keep the filters from blocking... doesn't that negate the need for a fuel efficient diesel in the first place?

Probably why diesel in falcon is a silly idea.
Exactly right. Friggin green fleet policies aren't worth a pinch of ***** in my book.
GTP-RPD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Exactly right. Friggin green fleet policies aren't worth a pinch of ***** in my book.
What happens to all the **** in the filter when it's burning off... It's being released into the atmosphere, it's only there to pass emissions tests at a certain point in time, a crock of **** that will scare used buyers away in years to come and drop the resale of whatever it's fitted to. Diesels seem to be a bit of a fad for city slickers especially euro buyers. Fortunately the euros are investing in small capacity turbo petrol engines that achieve similar economy.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #11
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Didn't Benz and Peugot fix this with a blue urea additive ??????
Good question, its claimed to be the state-of-the-art catalyst sytem that supposed to be more effective, but how would you know when Mercedes-benz have removed the dipstcik from their diesel engines, (electronic oil level measurement) and removed the over-full sensor from the engines system.

As you can see, I don't trust them. Once bitten, twice shy.
Don't trust any manufacurer who doesn't fit a warning system on the dashboard when the DPF is becoming clogged. Drive at over 80 k.p.h. on the open road / motorway for at least 20 minutes or until the warning light goes out is the way to clear the DPF and warning light...but of course if there's no DPF warning light system to alert you that the filter is becoming full, you've got no way of knowing when to take it for a open road run, and that's where the problems start, in my experience.

Last edited by Rodge; 21-09-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 21-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #12
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

128,000kms and no problems in our Peugeot 307. Haven't even had to top up the additive yet. We live out in the sticks though.
Old 21-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drive it for at least 20 minutes at least 80 kph, thats great advice for the average city driver, how do they manage that in todays city traffic? I think city drivers have been sold a pup. Their smart new diesel which saves them three or four dollars a week in fuel costs is going to cost them many thousands more in the end.
They would have been much better off keeping the Falcadore

Diesels are for trucks and highway vehicles

There are only two diesel cars sold without particulate filters, The Territory and some Toyotas, Hilux I think.

Last edited by Olbucko; 21-09-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Olbucko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko
Drive it for at least 20 minutes at least 80 kph, thats great advice for the average city driver, how do they manage that in todays city traffic? I think city drivers have been sold a pup. Their smart new diesel which saves them three or four dollars a week in fuel costs is going to cost them many thousands more in the end.

There are only two diesel cars sold without particulate filters, The Territory and some Toyotas, Hilux I think.

Navara 550 does not have DPF ...
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #15
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My old work took on an Isuzu franchise for the last 18 months I was there, small and medium Isuzus run DPFs and I never saw one replaced.
The old man works at a Hyundai dealer and has dozens of horror stories on these over rated crap that some members on here wet themselves over.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
Navara 550 does not have DPF ...
Think they do?

Threads like these are why I am sticking with petrol for my new 4WD, stuff the fuel costs its the stories like this about the Hilux death rattles from the injectors and the YD25's spitting out pumps left right and centre that put me right off.
Old 21-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #17
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The Santa Fe R series do not have one either.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

There are plenty of new TD cars that are sold without DPF's.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #19
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

New diesels are giving heaps of problems, Injectors being the main problem, often before 100,000k and costing more than $500 each, and HPCR (High Pressure Common Rail Pump) pumps are starting to show problems, if HPCR pumps are getting lazy it makes the injectors work harder to compensate.

These new hi tech diesels have no hope of doing 500,000 trouble free kays like the old 4.2 Nissans or Toyotas and other low stressed mechanical diesels.

These new ones have the potential to send you bankrupt.
Old 21-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #20
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
New diesels are giving heaps of problems, Injectors being the main problem, often before 100,000k and costing more than $500 each, and HPCR (High Pressure Common Rail Pump) pumps are starting to show problems, if HPCR pumps are getting lazy it makes the injectors work harder to compensate.

These new hi tech diesels have no hope of doing 500,000 trouble free kays like the old 4.2 Nissans or Toyotas and other low stressed mechanical diesels.

These new ones have the potential to send you bankrupt.
The thing is if you don’t use good fuel, and change fuel filters regularly you are going to have failures, one reason why earth moving machinery use multiple fuel filters that are changed like clockwork. Other issues would be mechanics who incorrectly diagnose faults.
Dirt and water is the death of any diesel injection system.

As for the DPF just ditch the thing over ya shoulder.
Old 21-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #21
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been wondering how my wife's car will go with this. We have a Hyundai IX35 diesel. For the last 12 months we have had to drive nearly an hour on the freeway to visit family once a week. Just this week we have moved to be within 5 minutes of family and shops and 2 minutes to kids school, and she works from home.

Guess I will take it to work once a fortnight for a decent run - 45 minutes on the highway.
Old 21-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

My diesel doesn't have a DPF, and if it did it would disappear.

Except its sitting at Ford because its ****ing out diesel from the top of the injectors.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #23
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
My diesel doesn't have a DPF, and if it did it would disappear.
They have sensors on them so the ECU can tell when they need the engine to fuel up and help burn them out. Unless you can fool the ECU, you cant just get rid of them.
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
They have sensors on them so the ECU can tell when they need the engine to fuel up and help burn them out. Unless you can fool the ECU, you cant just get rid of them.
Thats right, particularily with DPF equipped Focus you send the ECU away and they remove the coding regarding the DPF, so it doesn't "regenerate" and doesn't know its not there.
Old 20-03-2015, 04:24 PM   #25
Cold Aussie
Starter Motor

Angry Re: Diesel Particulate Filter Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Thats right, particularily with DPF equipped Focus you send the ECU away and they remove the coding regarding the DPF, so it doesn't "regenerate" and doesn't know its not there.
Big Damo do you have contact details of who recodes the ecu? My wifes 2009 Focus is showing a code for a blocked DPF, been to 3 different workshops no one can clear it replaced nearly every sensor. So it seems there is a DPF issue. Ford have quoted me $6200 plus fitting. About all the cars worth.
Regards
Stephen
Cold Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #26
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Aussie View Post
Big Damo do you have contact details of who recodes the ecu? My wifes 2009 Focus is showing a code for a blocked DPF, been to 3 different workshops no one can clear it replaced nearly every sensor. So it seems there is a DPF issue. Ford have quoted me $6200 plus fitting. About all the cars worth.
Regards
Stephen
Hello Stephen,

Thats interesting because I've got a 2010 TDCI Focus and it doesn't have a DPF?

My Focus is in at 4B Fabrications and Performance in Carrum Downs at the moment, having more tuning done, they turned off EGR as well for me I believe, it can be done through software so they would be able to disable DPF features and remove it no doubt.

I'll send you a PM with their number.

Odd problem though, wonder why your Focus has a DPF and mine doesnt?
Old 20-03-2015, 07:44 PM   #27
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Aussie View Post
Regards
Stephen
Dunno if it's as easy as blocking the DPF codes, as the DPF is blocked, you would have to remove or gut it too.

Dunno about the Focus diesel, but some diesels can have a manual burn off process initiated at the dealers, might be worth looking into?
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #28
reece1
reece1

Cars don't need this technology that doesn't work in the real world. The stuff in cars these days is a joke really.
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #29
Windsor220
Now Fordless

A lot of people misdiagnose DPF problems. Very rarely do they require replacement.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #30
Rodge
Banned

Well our DPF kept clogging up, which I didn't know about because there is no warning device on 2007 MBenz diesel's. The sensor in the DPF kept sending the ECU signals to do late stage fuel injection to trigger a regeneration, (burn-off cycle) but the exhaust never got hot enough to achieve this and all the late stage fuel injection resulted in heavy over-fuelling of the engine, and unburned fuel making its way down into the crankcase.

The oil level went UP at the rate of 1 litre on unburned diesel getting into the crankcase oil every 3,000 km's.

Naturally I had some interesting discussions with Mercedes-benz about this and no they did not play nice, I had to make it quite clear that my lawyers number was on my speed-dial.
I hear stories of diesel cars having their oil changed and the oil being changed-out being substaintially higher than the official rated crank-case capacity so this non-sense is still going on.

DPF's can generally be removed but yes the cars ECU needs to be re-programmed and it took M Benz 2 attempts to get it right. They took considerable convincing to agree to this proceedure.

What concerns me is that it appears that even many years after these dreadful filters were first fitted customers are still being sold vehicles and not being told of the DPF's operational requirements, either through ignorance on the part of salesman or worse, a deliberate concealment of important customer information.

Yes I agree its very, very hard for city residents to find the time and space to achieve 80 k.p.h. runs for 20 minutes or more. This could involve having to "create" lengthy motorway trips each week, late at night when the roads are relativly free of congestion, for no other purpose than just to allow for a proper burn-off of the DPF. This is hardly a satisfactory situation I would have thought and burns more fuel.

Mum's taking diesel vehicles on the short school / cafe / soccer / shopping runs are wide open to expensive highly problematic issues as are people who commute short distances. Be careful people, don't get caught with a vehicle that's not suitable for intended purpose.

Questions to ask the salesman...and don't stop asking until you are sure you've got the correct answer.

1. Does this vehicle come with a DPF ?
2. What warning device is fitted to the vehicle to warn the driver when the DPF is getting full ? Please show me where this is.
3. How do I go about achieving a good re-generation cycle for the DPF ?
4. Is the DPF covered in the manufacturers warranty ? Please show me the paperwork and specific clauses pertaining to warranty coverage of this item.
If the salesman, his manager or the dealer principal can't give you straight answers on this stuff and back it up by showing you the paperwork go somewhere else where the staff have had proper training.

What are the DPF exclusions ? The VW group for example I understand have a clause that gives them an out for driving patterns that are not condusive to healthy DPF operation...but do their salesman warn customers about this, or are they more fixated on their next commission cheque ?

When you look at the limitations of the DPF's the latent potential problems contained therein, the cost and inconvienience of potential trips with no other purpose than to clean out the DPF, future maintenance costs of the high pressure fuel system, expensive Pzizo injectors, general extra maintenance for diesel's over petrol and extra up-front costs of diesel vehicles...how much do you really save with a diesel vehicle over the long run....food for thought. My advice learned from very harsh experience, Take a very healthy dose of cynacism and objectivity along when looking at diesel vehicles.

Last edited by Rodge; 22-09-2012 at 11:44 AM.