Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #61
blue sleeper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: First Drive: Falcon Ecoboost

It's shame the wagon is gone because I think with this engine they might of sold like hot cakes...

Have: 1JZ Soarer dump pipe, exhaust, coilovers , 17" mags
blue sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #62
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds good.. I would have liked to see Ecoboost in an "XR" styled car..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #63
partsguy
Fan of torque steer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
Just reading the specs of the ZF transmissions...
Assuming that it's using the 6HP19, 'max' input torque is 350Nm.
If they use the 6HP21, max torque is 400Nm, but I doubt this because it's the newer more expensive transmission.

Listed transmission masses agree with what the articles say about being lighter than the 6cyl trans.

...so that should give an indication as to the engine performance. That, of course, assumes that the transmission is actually from ZF, rather than the Ford version that the territory now uses.

I can confirm it's a 6HP21 they're using.
partsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #64
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

In a few years time, I4T will be pulled from wrecks and shoved in Eskies, Capris and MK1 cortys...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #65
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I reckon they should make this the base engine, except for XR6/G6 have the 6 cylinder obviously because of name sake.

I'm looking forward to this, I reckon we could have the next SR20 on our hands.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #66
nickdl

Does anyone know whether the engine will be built in Aus or imported?
nickdl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #67
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Personally, I still think they should have had a front and rear end identity that is unique to the Ecoboost cars, and called it something else, like Fusion instead of Falcon. That way, they could have done like Toyota's smoke and mirrors trick and introduced a new vehicle line that looked different to the Falcon but still shared 80% of its parts.

E:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdl
Does anyone know whether the engine will be built in Aus or imported?
Fully imported from Espana. Underlay underlay, yeehah yeehah.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #68
Carby

This car to my mind is very much a signpost vehicle that Ford needs ie it will be marketed as a full sized vehicle with excellent fuel economy, and from that perspective it should be a winner with fleets.

However personally, doing 15K km per a year would save about $6 a week in fuel compared to the I6 (9.9 L/100 as opposed to the T4 probable 8.5L/100km). If they sell the T4 for the same money as the I6, I'd much rather the effortless torque and unstressed I6 over the peaky T4 with turbo lag.

Actually the 4.0L I6 figures look good next to the highly developed T4, but it is just the current perception that big engines use lots of fuel, so I suppose the T4 Falcon is the current failsafe car Ford needs to have.
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #69
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK EF
i4 acceleration = win
fuel economy = most likely a win.

could be a nice small T motor like the Sr20T..

with a tune 200 kw and 400 nm+? 6 second 0-100s and fuel economy of a small car.. performance of a muscle car and seats a whole family...
This is why I'm really looking foward to this engine variant, if I can convince the financial controller one of these will be in my driveway for sure.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:11 PM   #70
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8
I wonder if p platers will be allowed to drive these cars ????
Well there are turbos that are exempt just as there are N/A 6s that are banned.

I hope Ford apply for and are granted an exemption for this vehicle.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #71
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"And let’s not forget that the AU Falcon of 1998 boasted a power figure of just 157kW, and nobody ever complained that that car was underpowered".

Says it all really.

The thing that let down the four cylinder Commodores from VC to VH was the Starfire Four...while it wasn't a bad engine as a unit and was quite unburstable and reliable, it really needed a properly engineered four cylinder from somewhere else in the GM lineup at the time from somewhere else in the world...they used an Opel four cylinder in the Sunbird after all, so there was a precedent.
However, at the time all four cylinders were pretty slack when it came to power...turbos were rare, double overhead cams were rarer still, only in little light-weight Italian stuff usually. A quick glance at a Wheels magazine from 1982 shows that power levels were all around the 50 to 70kw range for most manufacturers common four cylinders, with Italian stuff like Fiats and Lancias up around 80 to 90kw. The four cylinder Commodore only put out 55kw, and the two liter single OHC Ford engine that was mooted to be put in the XD as a base model was gone by then anyway.
You could probably say that they were "cars made well before they should have been".
There is another thread on here about the new FT86 from Toyota, and how the four cylinder non-turbo engine "only" puts out 147kw...times have changed, and four cylinders are not really seen by many people as a "lesser engine" and something to be embarassed to be seen driving.

I reckon once people actually get over the size of the engine and drive this new Falcon, they'll be plesantly surprised. Especially given that the staggeringly vast majority of buyers don't care about 0-100 and quarter mile times...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #72
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Good to hear the first impressions are positive.

Hopefully this will yield more numbers for the Falcon. Looking at the figures this is a good little unit and Ford have done a great job.

Love the fact that its 1 second quicker then the 3L Commodore.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #73
winman

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8
I wonder if p platers will be allowed to drive these cars ????

Well there are turbos that are exempt just as there are N/A 6s that are banned.

I hope Ford apply for and are granted an exemption for this vehicle.
it makes sense that the 4 cylinder turbo which is slower then the 6 will be P-plate legal, however this is the RTA were talking about... and very little they do makes sense, seeing as a P-plater can drive a 368 KW V12 twin turbo diesel; audi Q7, but not an old school V8 that pushes out less then the current aussie 6 cylinders.
winman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #74
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha has turbo muffler like the xr6t.

Ford should advertise this by throwing people off the street in the car to drive... Ask them how it drives then tell them its a small 2l turbo getting #l per 100km, not the big 6 they were expecting. All the while filming their reaction to how it drives and telling them how good it is on fuel,
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #75
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

To the one in need of more lighting:

1) The new gearbox it uses is rated to 350Nm. It is the same reason the same motor in the Focus and Mondeo is detuned - the lighter trannies can only cope with so much. That was pointed out to you.
2) The lighter tranny is Ford's choice to further accentuate this motor's purpose - economy.
3) With more than 350Nm it would clash with the I6 in that it would be as quick - it would make the 6 redundant.

Bluntly dismissing the respected member's bit of inside info was amateurish to say the least. No inside info is absolute truth (ask Rodge about that) but the way you carried on without logic - and you're still doing so - proves your certainly are in fact in need.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #76
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it does look more and more like an AU or earlier 6 cylinder accelerating away from the lights next to one of these 4 potters may be feeling......

somewhat inadequate ......
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #77
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
it does look more and more like an AU or earlier 6 cylinder accelerating away from the lights next to one of these 4 potters may be feeling......

somewhat inadequate ......

come again? i cannot understand you.
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #78
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsguy
I can confirm it's a 6HP21 they're using.
He answered his own question.

This engine needs the 6HP21.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #79
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK EF
come again? i cannot understand you.
He means people who drive the older 6 cylinder models like AUs and even some of the old E series V8s will be out gunned by a 4 cyl.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #80
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
1) The new gearbox it uses is rated to 350Nm. It is the same reason the same motor in the Focus and Mondeo is detuned - the lighter trannies can only cope with so much. That was pointed out to you.
2) The lighter tranny is Ford's choice to further accentuate this motor's purpose - economy.
I'm a little bit disappointed theyve gone in that direction. We all knew the FWD/AWD motors were gearbox limited but Falcon shouldve been able to flex a bit more muscle.

But as you say:

Quote:
3) With more than 350Nm it would clash with the I6 in that it would be as quick - it would make the 6 redundant.
Perhaps in 2015-16 or so we'll get to see the engine a bit more unhinged. Until then it seems like the torque limitations still arent doing it any harm anyway.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 09:49 PM   #81
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Oh boy, I have a feeling that if people can get past their prejudice with size of the engine,
Ford might actually have a worthy successor to the 4.0 I-6 and man oh man if that happens,
Holden has a big problem because the 3.0 SIDI is not good enough to go against Ecoboost..

Everything changes.....
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #82
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Oh boy, I have a feeling that if people can get past their prejudice with size of the engine,
Ford might actually have a worthy successor to the 4.0 I-6 and man oh man if that happens,
Holden has a big problem because the 3.0 SIDI is not good enough to go against Ecoboost..

Everything changes.....

Fleets will be the key.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #83
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
He answered his own question.

This engine needs the 6HP21.
According to the ZF website, the 6HP21 is a 2nd generation gearbox and can handle 332ft-lbs. That is 450Nm!

Please take note, that the previous (first generation) 6HP19 which is what was replaced by this gearbox handled 350Nm.

Further to this, the 6HP21 also offers a 3% efficiency gain over the first gen 6HP19 gearbox. So, that is about 0.2-0.3L/100km gain there alone.

ie Falcon Eco-Boost 6HP21 gearbox is rated at 450Nm.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #84
FacultY

Pics (taken from http://www.themotorreport.com.au/529...t-drive-review)

Last edited by FacultY; 05-12-2011 at 10:59 PM.
FacultY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 11:11 PM   #85
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Are we sure that the gearbox is a ZF6HP and not a 6R80 ZF copy like used in Territory diesel?
Old 05-12-2011, 11:52 PM   #86
1TUFFUTE
Banned

the "partsguy' further up allready confirmed it as the tougher XXXX21 version of the gearboxes (all be it a little cloak and daggerish) but it would make sense.

This car has to APPEAR better than the existing 6 or people will simply dissmiss it before even looking. Kind of like the new diesel terri engine wise. Overall it apperars a much better car but closer inspection reveals how good the petrol actually is power eccon and refine wise...and so on

cant wait to see how these go...
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #87
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that G6 looks beautiful, honestly why would you spend 90 grand on a 2.5 litre Mercedes when you have these fantastic RWD cars around for 40 grand.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 12:02 AM   #88
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
the "partsguy' further up allready confirmed it as the tougher XXXX21 version of the gearboxes (all be it a little cloak and daggerish) but it would make sense.

This car has to APPEAR better than the existing 6 or people will simply dissmiss it before even looking.
This engine is meant to add to sales, not replace the I-6...
Old 06-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #89
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
According to the ZF website, the 6HP21 is a 2nd generation gearbox and can handle 332ft-lbs. That is 450Nm!

Please take note, that the previous (first generation) 6HP19 which is what was replaced by this gearbox handled 350Nm.

Further to this, the 6HP21 also offers a 3% efficiency gain over the first gen 6HP19 gearbox. So, that is about 0.2-0.3L/100km gain there alone.

ie Falcon Eco-Boost 6HP21 gearbox is rated at 450Nm.
Thanks for that Phil, and partsguy. I stand corrected on my earlier post regarding gearbox torque rating, although the point I was making regarding pecking order stands.

Edit: Thanks for the pics, FacultY. Under-bonnet cupholders
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 12:10 AM   #90
prydey
Rob

i think making the engine bay look 'full' is rather intentional. i'd say if you remove the big plastic cover it will look somewhat smaller.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post