Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 26-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
BroadyFord

Default Workers to vote against pay cut to save Holden

Sorry I'm not posting the link in full as I'm doing this via phone:

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...o_to_wage_cuts

Looks like it's bye bye Holden!

With this, plus the FBT changes likely destroying their sales of VF, they'd be mad NOT to leave!

Last edited by BroadyFord; 26-07-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 26-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

Default Re: Workers to vote against pay cut to save Holden

The end could be near, still no surprise really.
Although not a fan of the Red Team, I don't like to see people lose their jobs...

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
This user likes this post:
Old 26-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

They have the excuse they need to cut their losses before 2022. While I understand union members not wanting their redundancy payouts capped to 52 weeks (which is still more generous than 90% of the Australian work force that is normally capped at 3 months), it will be a public relations war that will have no winners. Both sides will blame each other. People who hate unions will have their soap box and those that don't trust overseas management will have their outlet to point out lies they were told 12+months ago. I see it getting very ugly (unlike Ford). I believe Holden is trying to fight a public relations battle showing the Australian public they tried their hardest to keep manufacturing viable but there was to many hurdles to overcome (even though I believe they know it isn't viable in our current climate).

My 2 cents.

Hers
BFII Ghia
8 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

This will be interesting.
Old 26-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
dddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadyFord View Post
Sorry I'm not posting the link in full as I'm doing this via phone:

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...o_to_wage_cuts

Looks like it's bye bye Holden!

With this, plus the FBT changes likely destroying their sales of VF, they'd be mad NOT to leave!
And when Holden close down just watch them scream and cry. It reminds me of dealing with spoilt children, most brain washed by their unions.

I remember an ongoing news story many years ago (back when Hawke was in power), about a small manufacturer who employed about twenty people. The unions had been picketing the place for about 3 weeks demanding the usual, more money, better conditions, etc. All the time the owner of the business was continually saying he can only just keep the doors open as it was claiming the business was running at a small loss as it is. Anyway after about 3-4 weeks the owner of the company walks out and announces that he has just put the company into receivership and all was lost.

The bit that I have never forgotten is the reaction from the union heavy weights there. They all cheered with joy, stating to the news cameras that this is a lesson that all should learn by, "no one should cross the unions or we will bring you down"(or words to that effect). However employees reactions were not the same as the unions and most were totally shocked as it began to sink into their heads that they longer had a job.

Unions true interest is in power, not people.
Old 26-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ_Smooth View Post
They have the excuse they need to cut their losses before 2022. While I understand union members not wanting their redundancy payouts capped to 52 weeks (which is still more generous than 90% of the Australian work force that is normally capped at 3 months), it will be a public relations war that will have no winners. Both sides will blame each other. People who hate unions will have their soap box and those that don't trust overseas management will have their outlet to point out lies they were told 12+months ago. I see it getting very ugly (unlike Ford). I believe Holden is trying to fight a public relations battle showing the Australian public they tried their hardest to keep manufacturing viable but there was to many hurdles to overcome (even though I believe they know it isn't viable in our current climate).

My 2 cents.
I've said it before, Ford did the sums and accepted the facts. They were then honest and open about their situation.

As usual, GM/Holden cook the books, big note themselves, and whip up a frenzy. Disgusting.

I feel for all the people that will lose their jobs and hope (if Holden does stop local manufacture) that they give plenty of notice and don't just pull the pin one day when the cash runs out.
5 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
BroadyFord

Keep in mind that this is the exact same situation as the Opel closure in Bochum, Germany. Workers there also refused to take a pay cut and as a result, GM immediately announced the closure of the plant in 2014.

Things have changed since the GFC; there's simply no room for driftwood in the new GM and they will not hesitate to rid themselves of loss-making operations.

The unions are playing with fire here.
4 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The unions as usual will do their absolute damndest to lose their members their jobs then attempt to blame anyone but themselves . As someone said earlier Union leaders have absolutely zero interest in their members or members welfare it is ALL about using the union movement as a stalking horse to get into politics .
Old 26-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

I am very anti union, I believe they have contributed to the demise of local manufacturing and small business in this once great country... But will these pay cuts actually save Holden?? That is the question.
If there's a chance, the union needs to reconsider their position here; after all, a job on 4/5ths pay is better than no job at all. Some of us have been there before.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Old 26-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
gtfpv
GT

Do not vote for a pay cut . It isnt the workers wages sending holden down the gurgler .
Old 26-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #11
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden needs to just lay down and die already.
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
Old 26-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #12
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

If Holden are not around any more building cars that people actually want to buy, then the other existing manufacturers including Ford can dictate to the public what sort of cars they will supply, we may end up with boring cars and have no choice about the matter.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
6 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
If Holden are not around any more building cars that people actually want to buy, then the other existing manufacturers including Ford can dictate to the public what sort of cars they will supply, we may end up with boring cars and have no choice about the matter.
What do you mean by 'building cars that people actually want to buy' (?)

Holden wouldn't be in their current position if they were doing that.

To suggest that locally made Commodore and locally built Cruze set the standard for cars that people actually want to buy is ludicrous. To suggest that Holden are the moral compass for the treatment of cosumers in Australia is ludicrous.

The reason for One Ford (and the integrated global operations of all other car makers) is to get the products people actually want onto the market as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Last edited by LeadFoot81; 26-07-2013 at 02:34 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

well up until recently, commodore has been doing quite well

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #15
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden closing could actually be great news for Ford AU..... More sales of an aussie icon!
Old 26-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #16
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

union once saved 90 people from being screwed out of a redundancy for a small company i worked for that was sold to a much bigger company that has now been bought out by woolworths

guy there had done 27 years working his way up to pay clerk and wouldve got the award redundancy...nice
so no, unions do not screw workers imo, in this case they saved him and plenty of us others from getting screwed by a shonkey ceo
and i still hope one day i bump into that ceo, i owe him one for standing in my face at the commission in town and lying his *** off in front of a judge
/rant
7 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #17
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
And when Holden close down just watch them scream and cry. It reminds me of dealing with spoilt children, most brain washed by their unions.

I remember an ongoing news story many years ago (back when Hawke was in power), about a small manufacturer who employed about twenty people. The unions had been picketing the place for about 3 weeks demanding the usual, more money, better conditions, etc. All the time the owner of the business was continually saying he can only just keep the doors open as it was claiming the business was running at a small loss as it is. Anyway after about 3-4 weeks the owner of the company walks out and announces that he has just put the company into receivership and all was lost.

The bit that I have never forgotten is the reaction from the union heavy weights there. They all cheered with joy, stating to the news cameras that this is a lesson that all should learn by, "no one should cross the unions or we will bring you down"(or words to that effect). However employees reactions were not the same as the unions and most were totally shocked as it began to sink into their heads that they longer had a job.

Unions true interest is in power, not people.
just out of curiosity were they below the average wage?
and the condition, how many were killed on the floor before the strike?
2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #18
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza View Post
Holden needs to just lay down and die already.
I'm almost had it with hearing about this Holden dilemma, whether it's the doom or the spin. But it's wrong to just hope they will quickly die. It's very sad that so many people will be out of a job.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Holden probably wanted the workers to take the pay cut then would have made them all redundant anyway so they didn't have to pay them as much.

Pay cut or no pay cut Holden will be going.
8 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Mr Camillo said Holden was trying to cap future voluntary redundancy payouts to 52 weeks.
"That means anyone who has worked for longer than 12 years gets a raw deal. And Holden has a lot of long term staff."

The workers had agreed to give up a 3 per cent pay rise due in November but would not accept wage freezes
for a further four years, Mr Camillo said. Holden is conducting detailed negotiations daily with unions and
workers until the August 9 deadline, Mr Camillo said.

"We are still in discussions and are looking at other parts of business to see where other savings might be made,
but the wage cuts and the capped VSPs (voluntary separation programs) are a bridge too far. Our workers will not
accept those conditions."

News Corp understands there are more than 40 points of negotiation, including flexible work hours, and
other efficiencies that would cut costs.
Holden would not comment on the negotiations. A spokesman
said it is keeping the details of the negotiations private.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #21
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep jpd80 thats the crux of it.. game over an engineered shutdown..
3 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #22
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris View Post
The unions as usual will do their absolute damndest to lose their members their jobs then attempt to blame anyone but themselves . As someone said earlier Union leaders have absolutely zero interest in their members or members welfare it is ALL about using the union movement as a stalking horse to get into politics .
Not even gonna bother preaching / justifying the benefits of unions to all you anti unionists, even though infact the employer groups also belong to a union - its called the AIG. but I will say this.......

The people of Holden are the union, and unlike smaller firms outside, Holdens employees are the actual union reps within areas and are further led by a senior steward.
They are the delegation and then the membership. The 'union leaders' the above mentioned I assume is referring to an organiser.
We have our own terms/conditions and log of claims that they only push forth.
As the employees being there daily, we dictate the terms, not the outside organisers.

And you can bet your bottom dollar since 2009 its been known inside Holden that a future beyond 2016 is grim let alone 2020.
Holden IS CLOSING and trying to do so as cheap as possible !

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
Old 26-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #23
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

im not a holden fan in any way but i have to say i really hope they can pull through it for the sake of the workers more than anything else.
however if i was a betting man i know where id be putting my cash.
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
Old 26-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #24
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last day today......Ruddy seems to be pretty keen to help out?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-2...elaide/4845108

Last edited by GASWAGON; 26-07-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 26-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #25
BroadyFord

I remember this John Camillo bloke standing in front of the media in 2008 outside Tonsley Park when Mitsubishi announced closure.

What's he going to do with himself after Holden goes?
Old 26-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #26
nstg8a

On the face of it my natural reaction is to think 'why not take the pay cut to keep a job' but if the rumours are true, and Holden intends to close regardless then IMO the workers should do everything within their power to maintain their rights.
Pretty dog act if holden is just trying to lead everyone along in order to reduce their liabilities when they do shut the doors.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #27
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six View Post
I'm almost had it with hearing about this Holden dilemma, whether it's the doom or the spin. But it's wrong to just hope they will quickly die. It's very sad that so many people will be out of a job.
I don't wish anyone to lose their job either. But it IS going to happen, so I wish holden would just admit it and get it over and done with. They just can't stand to 'lose' against Ford. They are as much of sore losers as their fans are and can't admit the obvious and take it on the chin.
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
Old 26-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #28
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

If GM's want pay cuts maybe they should start at the top not the bottom... what did the ceo's make last year
Old 26-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #29
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Had a link somewhere to a Holden 'Work Agreement' - insane, extensive stuff. Wondered why any company would bother trying to run manufacturing here.

I'd expect Fords would be similar.

I'll try and find that link, bible thick!
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 26-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #30
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Nothing insane about it mate - its called progress.
Manufacturers relocating offshore has very very little to do with employee wages & conditions alone

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
Closed Thread