Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 16-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
cooperplace

Default MD mondeo headlights: good?

what are the headlights like on these? I'm contemplating buying an MD wagon. I'd like my next car to have much better lights than the halogens on my current car. While I can read the spec sheet, advice from MD owners would be appreciated.
cooperplace is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2019, 12:00 PM   #2
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: MD mondeo headlights: good?

The HIDs in the Titanium spec are fan'bloody'tastic! sharp cut off adaptive, wide and bright.
Old 16-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I thought they ran an adaptive/Matrix LED setup (nowhere near as complex as the Euro brands though.)
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-04-2019, 03:49 PM   #4
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
I thought they ran an adaptive/Matrix LED setup (nowhere near as complex as the Euro brands though.)
Sorry I meant to type LEDs (so use to typing HIDs for others), yes again to Matrix type in that they use multiple lens LEDs to make one beam and whilst it's not as fancy as other Euro vehicles (audi/bmw), least we forget, it's a Ford and priced like one. They're still a step up.
Old 16-04-2019, 02:30 PM   #5
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know if there's a problem with mine or not, but to me, they don't seem to illuminate far enough ahead for my liking, despite emitting a whiter, brighter light overall.

Suggest taking one out for a test drive at night and decide for yourself.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2019, 07:43 AM   #6
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
I don't know if there's a problem with mine or not, but to me, they don't seem to illuminate far enough ahead for my liking, despite emitting a whiter, brighter light overall.

Suggest taking one out for a test drive at night and decide for yourself.
I had a similar problem and asked the dealer to re-aim the low beam "reach" - based on that experience DON"T do the same as me.

The car was returned with the beams pointing above the horizontal - and set for driving on the right hand side of the road.

A bit of research got the information about the location of the mechanical adjustment and then it was a case of creeping up on the right aiming position. To adjust for driving on the left you need to go into the software settings and pick the "right hand" traffic setting

The low beams have a reach of about 60 - 100 metres versus the previous 30 metres with excellent visibility and such a sharp vertical cutoff that the top half of highway road signs are not well lit - there are always some compromises.

The high beams have a reach of 300 metres or more and are bright enough that I get told abut them by oncoming drivers before the automatic dipping occurs - so I'm assuming that they are very bright on high beam since sometimes this has happened on divided highways at distances of up to 1000 metres, sometimes it is HGV drivers who let me know.

They are a significant improvement over the MA we used previously and I regarded those lights as very good.

If anyone wants the details about how I got the lights aimed correctly, let me know and I'll post up a reply.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2019, 02:13 AM   #7
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD View Post
If anyone wants the details about how I got the lights aimed correctly, let me know and I'll post up a reply.

Cheers
That would be much appreciated.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2019, 02:34 PM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

My MD Titanium has the Adaptive LED's and they are great on low beam. Highbeam is pretty standard same as my previous HID equiped Mercs etc.

Im just about to fit an LED light bar in the front grill.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2019, 06:13 PM   #9
thebigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
My MD Titanium has the Adaptive LED's and they are great on low beam. Highbeam is pretty standard same as my previous HID equiped Mercs etc.

Im just about to fit an LED light bar in the front grill.
Would like to see that !
thebigd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2019, 05:02 PM   #10
cooperplace

OK thanks, what about the lights on the Ambiente/trend?
Old 16-04-2019, 06:28 PM   #11
thebigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperplace View Post
OK thanks, what about the lights on the Ambiente/trend?
I would say very standard on both low and high beams. When Ford decided to use the projector style low beams, the overall light throw decreased, in my opinion. They do throw a more precise light with a better cut off, but nowhere near the overall light like the BA / BF / Territory reflectors offer, especially with a good H4 upgrade. Have thought about an LED upgrade on my Trend, but since it's nose cone off, I'm not motivated.
thebigd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2019, 09:14 AM   #12
cooperplace

nosecone off? so what's it like changing bulbs on these?

and maybe I need to limit my search to a titanium? They are much rarer.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:11 AM   #13
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay - Things got busy here over the last few days.

I made up a "tool" shown in the first photo, I'll call this "the stick" from now on. If you do this it is important to make sue that the edges of the vertical part are very close to vertical, because if they are not it will throw off the headlight height calibration.

I did the adjustment with the car unloaded but with a full fuel tank and with all tyre pressures at the tyre label recommended levels. (Over or under inflation can disrupt what you are about to do.

You are going to need a level horizontal surface that allows you to get a 2 metre clear space in front of the car when all wheels are on the surface. I have a good sized under roof garage that allows this.

Make sure your headlights are set for "right hand traffic". This might sound counter-intuitive since we drive on the left, but our cars are built to allow adjustment for both drive on left and drive on the right - and in our case the on-coming traffic is on the right. This setting is in the "settings"submenu. you get thers using the left hand steering wheel keypad. The right arrow on this keypad takes you to submenus and the up down arrows get you to a setting submenu. ÖK" takes you to that sub menu or sets a check box. S0 >settings>vehicle>lighting>adaptive headlamps>traffic setup>choose right hand traffic>OK (to check the box), as you will find it is buried in the sub menus quite a way down.

Get the stick as close to the headlamp as you can in front of the projector lens, hold it steady and scribe a mark on the stick using a marker and a carpenter's square against the sticks vertical edge and the rule pointing at the centre of the projector lens.

You now have a headlight height registration mark for your car. Check the other headlight - it should be within a mm of the same height providing there has been no front end damage to the car. If it isn't the same then mark another registration mark across the stick and label which is which.

Turn the headlights on and position the stick in front of the drivers headlight with the registration mark facing the car at a distance of 2m or more and with the horizontal beam cut off line adjacent to the bright spot across the stick - ordinarily it will show below the registration mark - but it might be above.

Do the same thing on the passengers side of the car - on this side the cutoff line ought to be slightly higher so that light reach along the road left edge is greater. If it isn't don't worry you are going to adjust this discrepancy out in the next step.

To make adjustments you will need a 6mm allen key with at least 15mm of reach. In my case the adjustment screw also had a plain screwdriver slot that could be used.

At the rear of each headlamp housing there is a channel, At the bottom is a hex socket screw (White in my case) which is the adjustment screw. See photo 2.

With the stick illuminated use the allen ket to adjust the beam height on each side of the car.

I ended up with the passenger side about 2mm belo the registration mark on the stick and the drivers side a mm lower than that. This gives me the illumination reach I've detailed elsewhere and on low beam I have not had any request from oncoming traffic about the headlamps - high beam yes low beam no.

Don't be tempted to adjust higher than the registration mark(s). If you do you will be making life difficult for oncoming traffic - especially on suburban residential roads.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 2.jpg (118.1 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Photo 1.jpg (58.0 KB, 102 views)

MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2022, 07:17 AM   #14
arnoutboer
Starter Motor

Smile Re: MD mondeo headlights: good?

Thanks a lot, exactly what I was looking for.

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Arnout
arnoutboer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2023, 04:53 PM   #15
cbunney
Starter Motor

Done. My low beams have been too low since I bought the 2018 MD Mondeo TDCi 12months ago. It was very hard to see at night on low beam. High beams excellent. Although, I needed a 15cm long 6mm allen key not 15mm. Thanks AlanD. Chris
cbunney is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2023, 08:19 AM   #16
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbunney View Post
Although, I needed a 15cm long 6mm allen key not 15mm. Thanks AlanD. Chris
Yes - Thanks.

I can't even claim that "m" and "c" are close together on the keyboard

Cheers