Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-02-2019, 02:42 PM   #1
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Fence price

So my neighbor and i finally came to the joint decision that our fence is well and truely shagged. We came to the agreement that whilst colourbond lasts longer, we are both wanting a wood pailing fence. They just are less bland. So the lady next door knows a guy and she will organise a quote, we will go halves as you do, on both sides money is a bit tight, but whats the going price per metre for a wood fence these days? Being 30 odd metres long id like to hear 2g or under, but it has to happen anyway. The existing fence has been patched up that many times before so its time, and my neighbor wants a dog.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Fence price

Do it yourselves.

It's not that hard and you save heaps.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #3
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

steel post? triple rail? concreted in? double lapped and capped? 1.8m? 2.1m? treated pine or hardwood? so many options and even down to the soil and if there is any garden beds.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2019, 04:29 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Yes. A pet peeve is people using a fence as a retaining wall.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-02-2019, 04:36 PM   #5
Kicking back

I know a bit about getting things done, but in this case i want somebody else to do it. The current fence isnt concreted in. The agreement was not painted. Yeah it will become an issue in 15 years time, but that is what it is. I dont think its a monster of a job, i.dont want to attack it myself, i dont have time for that. A ball park is all im asking.
Old 17-02-2019, 04:40 PM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

That being the case, what are your specs per GC’s reply?
Old 17-02-2019, 04:44 PM   #7
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
That being the case, what are your specs per GC’s reply?
Non capped 1.8 standard fence. Nothing flash.
Old 17-02-2019, 05:00 PM   #8
Godzilla73

Had a few quotes last year SE suburbs Vic for 1.8 ht between $55-65 l/m, one larger mob went bananas with surcharges which bumped their quote up to $90. Things like Shed/structure within 1m, vegetation in the way. We're talking a ground cover no more than 100mm high.

Ended up doing it myself for $32 l/m cost nothing to dump it at the tip. Took an easy 2/3 of a day with my brother and a few beers.
Godzilla73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2019, 05:40 PM   #9
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

If you go through a fencer rather than DIY make sure they clarify whether their price includes GST per linear m or not.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2019, 05:52 PM   #10
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflux View Post
If you go through a fencer rather than DIY make sure they clarify whether their price includes GST per linear m or not.
Also the grades (H3-H4 etc) and dimensions of the posts, rails and palings. So you are comparing apples with apples, some companies cheap out with 100x75 posts and smaller rails and the skinnier palings warp quicker.
If $90 pm is going bananas, it is very cheap in OZ to get fences built. Admittedly we have steep hills to deal with in Wellington but I sub out fencing if the client doesn't want to pay $200 a metre.
Ross 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2019, 07:17 PM   #11
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflux View Post
I know a thing or 2 about the 10% discount, no receipt business. I also work a trade, just for a different industry. Its a level ground job thats straight forward, no puns intended, its a straight fence on level ground. 55 per meter sounds doable. So that works out around 1650 which is split, if thats the case, its not as bad as i was concerned about.
Old 17-02-2019, 08:05 PM   #12
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

a rough price that i just did was about 1100 for materials, then tipping and 16 hours labour, i reckon at least 2500 for that job and it is sydney so don't be surprised at 3k
Old 17-02-2019, 08:51 PM   #13
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I know a thing or 2 about the 10% discount, no receipt business. I also work a trade, just for a different industry. Its a level ground job thats straight forward, no puns intended, its a straight fence on level ground. 55 per meter sounds doable. So that works out around 1650 which is split, if thats the case, its not as bad as i was concerned about.
Ahh, the old cashie!

Nah I meant just clarifying whether the price is $X + GST or $X inc GST, but sounds like you're all over it!
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2019, 10:28 PM   #14
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
a rough price that i just did was about 1100 for materials, then tipping and 16 hours labour, i reckon at least 2500 for that job and it is sydney so don't be surprised at 3k
I can't see it stinging me 3k. I had a power pole replaced a couple years back for a bit over 2k and there was plant equipment involved (i have 2 private poles) whatever the cost is its halved, eh, I'll wait to hear what mates rates are from the lady next door.
Old 17-02-2019, 10:37 PM   #15
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez, colorbond fencing here in W.A. is ~$100/m at the cheaper end, I imagine the wood paling fence would be more expensive. I’m with giant cranium, $3k is the ball park.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2019, 11:02 PM   #16
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
Geez, colorbond fencing here in W.A. is ~$100/m at the cheaper end, I imagine the wood paling fence would be more expensive. I’m with giant cranium, $3k is the ball park.
I cant see materials costing $40 per meter but i can imagine labour being $60 per hour. Yes the old fence needs to come out, and in the shape its in it will come out easily, but again theres labour involved and disposal costs. It is what it is, whilst its probably going to have the shortest lifespan of all options and cost a bit more, the agreement is wood, not painted so its aesthetically pleasing. Initally when my neighbor approached me i said colourbond not because i like it, but financially, and she said she prefers wood. I prefer wood too. I share a border with 6 other properties and the majority is colourbond fences. Putting self tapping screws into steel fences when its raining and blowing a gail isnt what i consider fun. But, again, it is what it is.
Old 17-02-2019, 11:37 PM   #17
nstg8a

We paid $55 a metre for our timber fencing. Brisbane.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2019, 12:24 AM   #18
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fence pricing can vary greatly, it really is a how long is a pice of string question, I fenced in just under three acres myself, as I wanted all my fencing the same I just paid for it.

I did not bother hitting my neighbours up, one neighbour offered to pay and I declined, as I wanted to be in control of exactly how I wanted it done. He was happy with my choice.

We have animals we want to keep in (horses and dogs) and also keep out (wild dogs, neighbours dogs, foxes and feral pigs), so far so good.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2019, 12:40 AM   #19
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Fence pricing can vary greatly, it really is a how long is a pice of string question, I fenced in just under three acres myself, as I wanted all my fencing the same I just paid for it.

I did not bother hitting my neighbours up, one neighbour offered to pay and I declined, as I wanted to be in control of exactly how I wanted it done. He was happy with my choice.

We have animals we want to keep in (horses and dogs) and also keep out (wild dogs, neighbours dogs, foxes and feral pigs), so far so good.
Im not so fussed but my neighbor wants another dog so im obliged to go halves, and i will. Its only 1 boundry out of 6 so thats not terrible. Its a 750 square block so there is a bit of fence action going on, but most of it has altready been done by the prior owner.
Old 18-02-2019, 12:50 AM   #20
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Im not so fussed but my neighbor wants another dog so im obliged to go halves, and i will. Its only 1 boundry out of 6 so thats not terrible. Its a 750 square block so there is a bit of fence action going on, but most of it has altready been done by the prior owner.
It's fair to split the bill I guess, I only have three adjoining properties, and only one offered to pay a share (I did not ask).

It was my choice to upgrade the existing fencing, the only neighbour that offered to pay has no animals what so ever, so I figured me building a fence to keep my dogs and horse contained is not his problem as he was happy with the existing fence so I decided his offer.

I did build the fence myself and I did get a great deal on materials due to contacts within the industry, so a 20K fence cost me around 3K and some hard work.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2019, 03:43 PM   #21
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

https://www.fencingfactory.com.au/pr...or#popupimages[]/0/

plus tipping fees plus labour
Old 18-02-2019, 04:15 PM   #22
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

i just called one of my best mates who is a landscaper in sydney and he said 85 plus gst per m for a standard fence, he said some companies are charging 50m to remove the old fence as tipping fees are getting silly.
Old 18-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #23
Kicking back

The guy my neighbor is getting a quote off she works with so hopefully its honest. To be fair he has fixed the old fence more times then i can remember for free or close to it. Tipping, worst case ill just borrow the trailer from work and do it myself. I cant remember what the minimum fee was last time i went to the tip but it was $360 per tonne.
Old 18-02-2019, 05:47 PM   #24
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
.... the minimum fee was last time i went to the tip but it was $360 per tonne.
If the old fence is past its use by date hardwood simply put it out the front with a sign "Free for firewood/fire pits/BBQ's" and it will disappear overnight and cost you nothing apart from the sign.

2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #25
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
If the old fence is past its use by date hardwood simply put it out the front with a sign "Free for firewood/fire pits/BBQ's" and it will disappear overnight and cost you nothing apart from the sign.

Valid point, but i have no street frontage or nature strip.... its a battleaxe and my driveway is in the middle of 3 side by side. Maybe my neighbour can strike up a deal with their neighbour who has a nature strip...
Old 18-02-2019, 07:39 PM   #26
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

The calculator GC linked is interesting, but misses a few things besides labour and tipping. It's presumed the posts are supplied with triple mortising.
  • Nicking (bevel cutting the top corners) of posts and palings
  • Concrete
  • Posts are cited as "100mm" so presumably not the NSW common 150×50
For NSW prices on materials you might look at either Ace or Rouse Hill Landscape Supplies besides Bunnies. The latter have rail mortices offset so the palings are flush with one post edge.

I sympathise with the six neighbours; I have five in Sydney and re-fencing is always a balancing act - you try to delay renewal until requiring a good length all in one job so it doesn't look "bitsy". Some I did myself, others were by Ford nut Barry Gibson (look for the ute registered BG-351). All mine are painted, it helps them recede and thus the yard looks larger.
Old 18-02-2019, 07:52 PM   #27
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
The calculator GC linked is interesting, but misses a few things besides labour and tipping. It's presumed the posts are supplied with triple mortising.
  • Nicking (bevel cutting the top corners) of posts and palings
  • Concrete
  • Posts are cited as "100mm" so presumably not the NSW common 150×50
For NSW prices on materials you might look at either Ace or Rouse Hill Landscape Supplies besides Bunnies. The latter have rail mortices offset so the palings are flush with one post edge.

I sympathise with the six neighbours; I have five in Sydney and re-fencing is always a balancing act - you try to delay renewal until requiring a good length all in one job so it doesn't look "bitsy". Some I did myself, others were by Ford nut Barry Gibson (look for the ute registered BG-351). All mine are painted, it helps them recede and thus the yard looks larger.
The current fence is only a 4 footer so its deffinately not a privacy fence like the 6 foot colourbond around most of my place and my neighbors place. She likes the fact the smaller fence doesnt box her yard in per say and i agree. Neither of us are nudists or anything sus so keeping to something similar is more so you can say hello over the fence mowing the lawn or whatever. Makes the backyards seem bigger too. The agreement is non treated so it ages and looks alright. If the current fence wasnt falling over, thats the desired look. She isnt exactly swimming in cash and neither am i when it comes to left field expenses, but its the sort of thing that if im not at work and can offer a hand, im not a carpenter but know a thing about meausuring and cutting as thats most trade 101 and i do work a trade, ill offer a hand if its going to help out. If not ill just do the bottlo runs.
Old 13-03-2019, 08:43 PM   #28
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
So my neighbor and i finally came to the joint decision that our fence is well and truely shagged. We came to the agreement that whilst colourbond lasts longer, we are both wanting a wood pailing fence. They just are less bland. So the lady next door knows a guy and she will organise a quote, we will go halves as you do, on both sides money is a bit tight, but whats the going price per metre for a wood fence these days? Being 30 odd metres long id like to hear 2g or under, but it has to happen anyway. The existing fence has been patched up that many times before so its time, and my neighbor wants a dog.
did you end up getting some prices?
Old 13-03-2019, 08:55 PM   #29
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
did you end up getting some prices?
Still waiting on next door to get back to me. Its not the highest on my priority list.
Old 13-03-2019, 10:58 PM   #30
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Going through this as well now, the house I’ve bought has a 1.2m chain mesh fence on all 3 sides. 4 neighbours to try and get over the line.

Has to be cyclone rated, so it’s fully welded heavy duty posts and rails, so a tentative quote is $250 per metre!