Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-09-2019, 07:25 AM   #931
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Petrol Price crisis......

Fuel was 30c/L cheaper in Albury than Melbourne the other day.
Not sure why the big difference?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2019, 07:29 AM   #932
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
People heading away for School holidays????
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #933
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
My love for single use plastic bags
This week is the first time i've ever had to buy garbage bags. total plastic saved = zero

I've noticed with the current squirming in the middle east that petrol prices had to jump due to 'supply uncertainty'. takes them 2-3 months to go down when prices for crude go down, but a few days when they go up?
Old 30-09-2019, 08:43 AM   #934
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Easy answer, people in Melb are getting shafted by greedy operators.

Like some around here. One servo near me has Mobil 98 at $1.67. Yet 3kms away there's Caltex 98 at $1.92.
Old 30-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #935
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Easy answer, people in Melb are getting shafted by greedy operators.

Like some around here. One servo near me has Mobil 98 at $1.67. Yet 3kms away there's Caltex 98 at $1.92.
On my last Adelaide trip I was following a family in a Land Rover from the outskirts of Melbourne to Tailem Bend in SA where we both stopped at the BP to grab fuel.

It was 30c/L more expensive in Melbourne and surrounding areas compared to regional VIC and SA.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2019, 10:16 AM   #936
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I'm guessing 98 is going to be 1.90+ soon around here since we get ****ed all the time anyway.

I paid 1.66 last week so made sure to top it up. Apparently Scomo is trying to make a deal to tap US reserves.

Jim Molan has been warning about this **** for a long time. What a ****en dumb country we are.
We once used our crappy thin oil to make Standard Petrol in West QLD.

Then we got into exporting our crap Australian oil on the world market, with the Fraser Gov. I think it was the correct thing to do at the time as our oil was no good for making engine oil or bitumen for roads. and our oil is high sulphur it's called sower thin oil, but there is other oils, sweet oil and thick oil and the best quality oil in the world is in the Arab world mainly and some in the USA and Russia.

I think that Australia went down the track of not refining fuel so as to reduce it's carbon percentage to make them look better and just let Asia make the fuel for us, it makes us look like we are saving the planet but I think Asia it's in the same world some how.

One may look to the share market of oil to see if they are ripping off anyone, I don't think that they are at all in fact, this showed that they were not the problem at all when I looked into it some years ago and what I found was we reduced the money spent on looking for new oil wells and that is stupid because down the track that will only add to increase of the price down the track.

So what to do, well if we got rid of 91 octane and had only 95 E10 and 98 E10 then the price of 95 would come down because more people are using it, it would not be as cheap as 91 but I think such would drive down 95 price some what because that's what happens when it's the majority fuel used.
if Australia only sold 10% of 91 octane I am sure that the price would be much the same as they sold 95 for.

I don't think that Germany has 91 Ron as all the cars imported here say to run on 98 octane. so it would be interesting to look at what there prices do reflect in that regard.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2019, 11:48 AM   #937
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The reason we end up with hobbled imports is that retards here insist on filling everything with 91 - also our high sulfur fuel.

We get the crippled Mazda Skyactiv engines for this reason, BMW also stuck with an older engine through the 00s in our market with their I6.

Honda as well we never got the good stuff because of fuel problems.

If you want an easy way to reduce co2 emissions then ban all forms of 91 and with a stroke of a pen change the Australian standards on sulfur content in our fuel.
Old 30-09-2019, 01:13 PM   #938
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
The reason we end up with hobbled imports is that retards here insist on filling everything with 91 - also our high sulfur fuel.

We get the crippled Mazda Skyactiv engines for this reason, BMW also stuck with an older engine through the 00s in our market with their I6.

Honda as well we never got the good stuff because of fuel problems.

If you want an easy way to reduce co2 emissions then ban all forms of 91 and with a stroke of a pen change the Australian standards on sulfur content in our fuel.

I thought the process of doing doing away 91 will happen eventually in the future but in the meantime there is still a lot vehicles that are quite happy guzzling the 91 juice.
Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #939
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
I thought the process of doing doing away 91 will happen eventually in the future but in the meantime there is still a lot vehicles that are quite happy guzzling the 91 juice.
Cheers.
Eventually in the future? It's been a drama for the past 25 years, it's just getting worse and worse causing limited choice for Australian consumers.
Old 30-09-2019, 05:40 PM   #940
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw it on the weekend over here for $2.33 per liter. Which converted to Australian Dollar is $2.16 AUD per litre. thats for 91..

Last edited by BradEL; 30-09-2019 at 06:00 PM.
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2019, 06:26 PM   #941
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
still a lot vehicles that are quite happy guzzling the 91 juice.
Cheers.
Which will all quite happily drink 95 or 98.

Going up in quality won't hurt anything.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2019, 06:32 PM   #942
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine View Post
Which will all quite happily drink 95 or 98.

Going up in quality won't hurt anything.
Except your wallet when you have to pay for a more expensive fuel your car doesnt need.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2019, 08:08 PM   #943
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
Except your wallet when you have to pay for a more expensive fuel your car doesnt need.
Even peoples cars that need 95 minimum people keep filling them with 91 because they don't want to spend the extra $10 a tank for 98.

So we keep getting detuned cars in our market because of this exact reason.

I still remember 9 years ago working at a Honda dealership the new Accord Euros with K24 engines having dramas with our fuel, even on ones filled with 95 and 98, we're talking cars sub 100,000km coming back for warranty work.

With the prevalence of Euros on Melbourne roads now I bet they're still copping 91 because the salesman told them they can still use 91 in it because the engine computer will adjust for it or some crapola like that to sell 6 figure cars to people who complain about $10 extra on fuel per fill.

You can see it at my local servo the pump records how many litres its sold of all the fuels and 91 is always an order of magnitude higher than 95/98, 98 will be barely 6 figures and 91 will be well into 7 figures.

Easiest and cheapest score to improve c02 emissions nationally - ban 91 and high sulfur fuel first before we go chasing unicorns elsewhere.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 30-09-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 30-09-2019, 10:10 PM   #944
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Even peoples cars that need 95 minimum people keep filling them with 91 because they don't want to spend the extra $10 a tank for 98.

So we keep getting detuned cars in our market because of this exact reason.

I still remember 9 years ago working at a Honda dealership the new Accord Euros with K24 engines having dramas with our fuel, even on ones filled with 95 and 98, we're talking cars sub 100,000km coming back for warranty work.

With the prevalence of Euros on Melbourne roads now I bet they're still copping 91 because the salesman told them they can still use 91 in it because the engine computer will adjust for it or some crapola like that to sell 6 figure cars to people who complain about $10 extra on fuel per fill.

You can see it at my local servo the pump records how many litres its sold of all the fuels and 91 is always an order of magnitude higher than 95/98, 98 will be barely 6 figures and 91 will be well into 7 figures.

Easiest and cheapest score to improve c02 emissions nationally - ban 91 and high sulfur fuel first before we go chasing unicorns elsewhere.
Yep ! and our E10 is 91 and 94 octane now in SE QLD.
E10 94 is real good in my wife's 2011 Aurion they say they have 200kw but on 95 they say 235kw even the wife only runs E10 now, she will not use the 91 because she says it performs better and she knows bugger all about cars but she likes quick cars.

I went and looked into Germany on google earth at the fuel stations, they have Shell and I seen that they have 95 and 98 diesel and diesel V power.
There Euro was .15 more from 95 to 98 octane and with the std diesel to a V power diesel in this as well was .14 euros more.
So at the time of the google camera took the area the price was as so.
Diesel 1.32
and next was something that I could not understand was 1.42
95 1.42 called super
98 1.57 called V power
V power diesel 1.46 euro

So there you have it and a V power diesel fuel for all them new diesel cars that must need it I would think.

Looking else where in the world only third world nations had 91 octane, Norway, Poland, Russia, South Africa, Spain, USA, UK all have the lowest octane of 95 RON.

Ukraine had 92 and 95.

And from info I looked into of Germany it was E10 95 RON and E5 98 RON.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2019, 10:52 PM   #945
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

1.89 for E85.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2019, 07:20 AM   #946
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Crazy times, I filled up with 98 in Sydney on Friday for $1.42 and now in Canberra 98 is pushing $1.86, such a rort but zero we can do about it now so just go with it.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:41 AM   #947
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

My usual servo I go to has 98 for $1.55 at the moment .... while it is about $1.90 everywhere else.

E10 is still $1.36 there as well ... where it is $1.71 all over the place.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2019, 09:32 AM   #948
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kiwi land is average $2.30 $2.40 you guys have it good..
five 7 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2019, 01:28 PM   #949
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8
95 supposedly only costs about 2-3 cents extra per litre to make. The fuel companies just tack extra on to generate higher profits.

The switch to 95 could be made easily if the government mandated that they had to stick to the actual cost, and not as an excuse to fleece motorists dry.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2019, 07:09 PM   #950
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
95 supposedly only costs about 2-3 cents extra per litre to make. The fuel companies just tack extra on to generate higher profits.

The switch to 95 could be made easily if the government mandated that they had to stick to the actual cost, and not as an excuse to fleece motorists dry.
In 2004 when I got my P’s, 98 was 10 cents a litre more than 91, now its 20 to 25 cents more depending where you go.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2019, 09:12 PM   #951
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
1.89 for E85.
Makes you wonder as the 85% part is produced locally in Australia, only the 15% part should be effected by Middle Eastern shenanigans - how does it compare with 98 at the same servo?
Old 01-10-2019, 09:26 PM   #952
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Makes you wonder as the 85% part is produced locally in Australia, only the 15% part should be effected by Middle Eastern shenanigans
Qld drought and Sugar farmers doing it tough?
Old 01-10-2019, 11:00 PM   #953
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Makes you wonder as the 85% part is produced locally in Australia, only the 15% part should be effected by Middle Eastern shenanigans - how does it compare with 98 at the same servo?
About 1.60. BUT I live in WA

Xtreme Ford Tuning

2 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2019, 06:05 PM   #954
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
In 2004 when I got my P’s, 98 was 10 cents a litre more than 91, now its 20 to 25 cents more depending where you go.
35c at an independent servo near me that's always cheaper than anywhere else in the vicinity - though, not cheaper for 98. :( Fool me once..

Just stepped out of my FGX XR8 that was in the 15's to a 1.8 that's reading 8.5 at the moment, not bad timing by the looks of it. At least I didn't get the spiel from the dealer saying 'nobody buys V8's anymore' on my trade.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2019, 06:30 PM   #955
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

When I got my licence fuel was 18cpl for super...

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 02-10-2019, 07:16 PM   #956
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
When I got my licence fuel was 18cpl for super...
Get paid $50 a week, fill your car 3 times, smoke a carton and sink **** at the pub and still have change left over

The only thing $50 buys you these days is a lap dance with no change

Its $75 in Adelaide!!!
2 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2019, 07:31 PM   #957
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm pretty close to cruzing up by myself or with 'a crew' to the big white house in CanBerra and totally just walking in and grabbing Scott Morrison by his Big Fat expensive tie and twisting it so hard around his neck he fcuking chokes to death!!!!!

Then we all just go to SummerNats and Party LOL!!!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2019, 08:00 PM   #958
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUIK6WGN View Post
I'm pretty close to cruzing up by myself or with 'a crew' to the big white house in CanBerra and totally just walking in and grabbing Scott Morrison by his Big Fat expensive tie and twisting it so hard around his neck he fcuking chokes to death!!!!!

Then we all just go to SummerNats and Party LOL!!!

That would be like a smoker of today blaming the high price of cigarettes solely on Morrison.

I'd love to see what the outcome would be if every smoker in Australia stopped right now and literally saved all the money they would have spent on smokes for the next 5 years.

You think petrol and alcohol are pricey now...lol.

Forgive me in advance, my grasp on finance/economics is primal.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2019, 11:06 AM   #959
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why the ****ing hell has 98 gone up $1.90 in Melbourne over the last few days now just as get my 6T registered?????

What an absolute ****ing joke!!!!!!!!!!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #960
Lunch
Wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
I'd love to see what the outcome would be if every smoker in Australia stopped right now and literally saved all the money they would have spent on smokes for the next 5 years.
More speed cameras?
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: