Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #181
Auxr6t
Starter Motor

Default Re: BA motor into a AU

Yer au coil pack an leads. Didn't cut any of the harness
Auxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #182
Auxr6t
Starter Motor

Runnin standard coil packs an leads. Didn't cut any of the harness.
Old 29-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #183
DRAGN6
DRAGN6

Seeing that motor sitting in your XR makes me want to do it sooooo bad now

Since you already had the XR, did you need to do any real mods to make the BA Turb'd motor work??

Sorry if I sound dumb with this stuff, but I'm not up on tha modern stuff yet ..... I'm used to just doing the basic engine changes in the good old 'X' series

I'm not certain if I'd ever go Turbo or SC, but I would like the option available to me, to take advantage of if I choose to eventually.

I currently have a totally stock AU Classic, apart from the 2.5" Performance exhaust.

So, to better help me understand, let me just ask these couple of questions:
The wiring loom didn't need changing. You can use the stock AU loom??

What happens with the ECU?? I'm a little confused with that one.

I have heard of the dash cluster etc needing to be changed, is this the case for doing basically what you have already done??

All that I ask is for some patience with me, while I try to understand this concept

Cheers,
Dave

DRAGN6 Build Thread

My Previous Rides:
LOTS, But I'm only listing my most recent!!

1. 2001 AU XR6 [New Daily]
  2. 1999 AU Classic [DRAGN6]
  3. 1992 EBII with too much to list! [sold and bough DRAGN6 as a 'stocker']!

DRAGN6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #184
Auxr6t
Starter Motor

Its was a learning experience with me aswell. How I thought of it was if I was using the au harness and sensors, throttle body etc the ecu would still think it is running the au motor so would not need to be tuned. As for the coils the ba and au motor run the same trigger wheel so nothing was changed there, if that makes sence... Therefore the dash wil not have to be changed. I did howeva have to put the vernier gears in to hold the cams in time... Mine was the vct motor but totally different setup. As for the turbo, being a s2 it will cut at any sign of boost so will have to be tuned to suit.. 2bar tmap injectors etc.. Hope this helps.
Old 29-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #185
DRAGN6
DRAGN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxr6t
Its was a learning experience with me aswell. How I thought of it was if I was using the au harness and sensors, throttle body etc the ecu would still think it is running the au motor so would not need to be tuned. As for the coils the ba and au motor run the same trigger wheel so nothing was changed there, if that makes sence... Therefore the dash wil not have to be changed. I did howeva have to put the vernier gears in to hold the cams in time... Mine was the vct motor but totally different setup. As for the turbo, being a s2 it will cut at any sign of boost so will have to be tuned to suit.. 2bar tmap injectors etc.. Hope this helps.
I understand how you have said that cheers mate

Not sure what 'vernier gears' are, but can look that one up

If I was to purchase a stock BA XT series engine and wanted to turbo or SC it in the next year or so, would any prior mods need to be made to the internals, to cope with a turbo or super charger??

At that point it would then need to be tuned??
Mine being the 99' S1 Classic [non turbo, stock 4.0 etc] would it require a different loom to be compatable with the turbo or SC??

If it's gonna be in the too hard basket, then I'd tend to just keep it stock

DRAGN6 Build Thread

My Previous Rides:

Old 30-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #186
Auxr6t
Starter Motor

Vernier gears are jus adjustable can gears. Because the ba on motor hd duel vct the au ecu won't control them so the cam timing will not be correct. After adding boost it will need to be tuned but someone correct me of I'm wron but I don't think the s1 au had a boost cut 2 or 3 psi. Not to sure about how other guys went about this. As for the motor when boosted I haven't done anything to it, I jus wanted to see if I could get the ba motor running good before I spent any more money on it. If all goes well with it then I blow it up then I will spend the money to get a turbo motor. I jus didn't want to buy a ba turbo motor then find out I couldn't get it to run properly. Will keep you posted after the tune
Old 30-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #187
DRAGN6
DRAGN6

I don't want to put anyone of attempting this conversion at all, but just wanted to throw this into the mix and hopefully get others opinions too.

I spoke to my local mechanic today, who is a good friend and does the after hours kinda jobs for me. I asked him If/When and $$?? to fit a stocko BA motor into my AU and his reply was immediately "don't Do It!!".
When I asked why, he told me that the BAs do have a good motor yes, but rev ranges are different and the stock BA motor was guttless in comparisson to the stock AU motor. He own a stock BA XT Ute and offered me the test drive in it.

He told me to stick with my current motor [cause she's damn strong] and that he'll bolt up a Turbo onto it for me. He gave me this phenominally cheap quote to fit the Turbo onto my AU and I was like OO OO OOHHH!!

He reckons that with a good tune, a piggy back and a couple of other small add ons that we could turn my current motor into quite a monster from stock.

As I said, I really don't wanna put anyone off attempting this conversion and am merely seeking others advice/opinions regarding my latest conversation with my Mech, as he's really thrown a spanner in my works now

DRAGN6 Build Thread

My Previous Rides:

Old 30-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #188
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you'll find he just din't want to do it! the BA has basically the same bottom end as the AU and from my gtaxi days I know the BA goes harder than the AU because of the twin cam VCT to get the most out of this swap you would need to sort the VCT issues out . thats the only thing holding me back at the moment. once someone solves this i'll do it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift66
I don't want to put anyone of attempting this conversion at all, but just wanted to throw this into the mix and hopefully get others opinions too.

I spoke to my local mechanic today, who is a good friend and does the after hours kinda jobs for me. I asked him If/When and $$?? to fit a stocko BA motor into my AU and his reply was immediately "don't Do It!!".
When I asked why, he told me that the BAs do have a good motor yes, but rev ranges are different and the stock BA motor was guttless in comparisson to the stock AU motor. He own a stock BA XT Ute and offered me the test drive in it.

He told me to stick with my current motor [cause she's damn strong] and that he'll bolt up a Turbo onto it for me. He gave me this phenominally cheap quote to fit the Turbo onto my AU and I was like OO OO OOHHH!!

He reckons that with a good tune, a piggy back and a couple of other small add ons that we could turn my current motor into quite a monster from stock.

As I said, I really don't wanna put anyone off attempting this conversion and am merely seeking others advice/opinions regarding my latest conversation with my Mech, as he's really thrown a spanner in my works now

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #189
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
its been done many times, and is now to the point where its documented well enough what you need to do.
with the main 'expense' being removing the security from the PCM.
i must have missed a thread or two, i was still under the impression barra`s still would`nt run the vct in an au without a motec or swapping for a ba loom.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #190
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

The BA engine is a better engine but there isn't anything wrong with a AU 6. It comes down to one being a a twin cam, and when you compare 2 valves vs 4 valves there is a difference.

A turbo AU engine will make great power if you want to go down this route, and of course its going to be cheaper as your not having to put a BA in to start with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift66

Old 30-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #191
Auxr6t
Starter Motor

I'm not telling any one to do it I was just saying that I've done it. Even without the dvct it is an improvement, I have proved this many times on road tests. 0-100 from point a to point b in my car with me driving. The old motor was a stock vct au motor. But then boosted it and then killed it. Went to NA barra and was faster stright out of the box with 200k on the barra. I had fun doing the conversion and I learnt a bit on the way so im happy with the result.
Old 31-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #192
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxr6t
I'm not telling any one to do it I was just saying that I've done it. Even without the dvct it is an improvement, I have proved this many times on road tests. 0-100 from point a to point b in my car with me driving. The old motor was a stock vct au motor. But then boosted it and then killed it. Went to NA barra and was faster stright out of the box with 200k on the barra. I had fun doing the conversion and I learnt a bit on the way so im happy with the result.
did you have to cut a hole in the bonnet to make it fit??
Old 31-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #193
Auxr6t
Starter Motor

Nah jus spaced the latch up a bit. Would be easyer that way tho.
Old 31-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #194
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok , thanks mate.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #195
Au_barra

sorry to bring up a old thread but I just signed up to get some info about the au - barra conversion.

I have a au which I have the engine out and got a ba motor sitting there waiting to go in, just wanted to know what the guys did with the cam sensor stuff? did anyone cut off any of the teeth on the back of the cam? or was the rough running that FTG had just caused by the cams being out since not having the vct hooked up?

I had some spare cam sprockets that I have pulled apart and measured up, this is what i have found

the sprockets have about 30deg of movement.
with engine off there is a spring in the sprockets that pull the cams to max advance and a pin locks in place(pin is lifted up the oil pressure which allows the cams to then move)
theres is 41 teeth so each tooth is 8.8 deg

so if the cams are sitting at 15deg advance when the phasers are not hooked up then that might be causing the rought idle that was happening.

if the spocket is moved 1 tooth on the timing chain it brings the cams to about 6deg advanced and 2 teeth brings the cams to 2.5deg retarded. also the spockets could be fixed somehow with some devcon or shims between the paddles to keep them central

I will be pulling the au engine apart to have a look at the setup of the cam sensor and what trigger it has to work out what I need to do with the ba cam triggers.

If anyone is interested I have been taking pictures along the way and can do a bit of a write up of what needs to be done.

so far is has cost me $500 for the car and $220 for the engine from the wreckers, engine came minus the injectors and throttle body(perfect since au injectors and tb is used) and didnt have ps pump but i had one laying around already.

here is a pic of the cam sprocket inside

Au_barra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #196
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au_barra View Post
sorry to bring up a old thread but I just signed up to get some info about the au - barra conversion.

I have a au which I have the engine out and got a ba motor sitting there waiting to go in, just wanted to know what the guys did with the cam sensor stuff? did anyone cut off any of the teeth on the back of the cam? or was the rough running that FTG had just caused by the cams being out since not having the vct hooked up?

I had some spare cam sprockets that I have pulled apart and measured up, this is what i have found

the sprockets have about 30deg of movement.
with engine off there is a spring in the sprockets that pull the cams to max advance and a pin locks in place(pin is lifted up the oil pressure which allows the cams to then move)
theres is 41 teeth so each tooth is 8.8 deg

so if the cams are sitting at 15deg advance when the phasers are not hooked up then that might be causing the rought idle that was happening.

if the spocket is moved 1 tooth on the timing chain it brings the cams to about 6deg advanced and 2 teeth brings the cams to 2.5deg retarded. also the spockets could be fixed somehow with some devcon or shims between the paddles to keep them central

I will be pulling the au engine apart to have a look at the setup of the cam sensor and what trigger it has to work out what I need to do with the ba cam triggers.

If anyone is interested I have been taking pictures along the way and can do a bit of a write up of what needs to be done.

so far is has cost me $500 for the car and $220 for the engine from the wreckers, engine came minus the injectors and throttle body(perfect since au injectors and tb is used) and didnt have ps pump but i had one laying around already.

here is a pic of the cam sprocket inside

G'day AU-barra, go for it- theres plenty here that are very interested in this conversion. Looking foward to see how you progress with your ba motor into au project. Hopefully other interested members who may have some info to share can help you out also. Good luck mate!

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #197
Au_barra

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...60#post4514260
Au_barra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #198
Bitcrusher
Starter Motor

Ok so another question (Noob here) would it be possible to install a Ba Xr6t engine using the below idea but with mods obviously cause it now will have a turbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTGAutosalvage View Post
motor is in and running, but we have run out of time at the moment
lots of good wrecks have been coming in and we are flat out on other things,
we know now it can be done!!!!!!

we will get back to this project soonish but if anyones interested in the conversion i would be more than happy to discuss what mods we made to get this sucker in . i will list a basic summary here

sump is std BA
wiring loom on engine is AU
top on inlet manifold & throttle body is AU
AU crank angle sensor wiring will plug onto BA C.A.S
BA power steering hose requires a bend down the rack end then it will fit on
AU a/c compressor can be mounted onto BA compressor mount but needs to be spaced forward slightly so the belt lines up. this can be done with some 25mm angle iron and some new bolts.
AU water pipes can be fitted to BA motor with small mods
AU coil pack and leeds
AU engine mounts
AU alternator
AU knock sensor can be fitted to BA block
AU oil & temp sensors can be fitted
BA air intake
AU accel cable needs a bracket for mounting
AU exhaust fits up to BA manifold
AU injectors
fuel lines will plug straight on
i would suggest an edit for the AU ecu , at this stage we cannot get the engine to run smooth at low revs. (but we needed more time really!!)

i hope this help with anyone wanting to put one of these motors into a AU or earlier ford
Bitcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #199
Auxr6t
Starter Motor

It's been a while and the ba motor is still going strong in the au ute.. Has been tuned and made 333hp with 770ft/lb of torque on 7-8 psi but I didn't go higher than the waistgate spring so could prolly squeeze a few more hp out of it but I drive it to work so I just left it. All I did to the motor was valve springs. I used a wolf v550 plug in which I couldn't be happier with.