Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 17-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
mauricio

Default Do I have a MA or MB Please Help.

Morning, I am hoping someone can help me. I recently bought a 2009 Ford Mondeo, Hatch, diesel engine TDCI. The manufacture date is 05/09, and compliance is 07/09. I don't know if this makes it an MA or MB? The features list it has suggests an MB (auto lights, rain sensing wipers, USB input, colour display), but it was sold as an MA. My car does not have the Zetec badge on rear, only TDCI. I am seeking help to assist with getting the right car on insurance papers. The VIN number also suggests an MB, and from what I saw on carsales no MA TDCI offers the features lisyed above. Any help would be great. Cheers.

mauricio is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Do I have a MA or MB Please Help.

Given the information provided I'd say it's an MB but if you want to PM me the VIN I can verify that easily enough.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
mauricio

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Given the information provided I'd say it's an MB but if you want to PM me the VIN I can verify that easily enough.

Cheers
Russ
Thank you just did that.
Old 17-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
sleek7

The last time I took my 09 MB xr5t into ford for a service (was still within 3 year warranty period) they called me back and tried to tell me it was an MA because "that's what our system is saying"... I argued with the lady about it on the phone that it was in fact an MB and she said shed get the mechanics to have a look. I get a call back an hour later saying it is an MB and that there was a mistake in their system...

Anyway by the sounds of it, it would seem you have an MB. I have seen others being sold under the wrong models before (MAs sold as an MB and MBs sold and an MA...)
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Should be an MB. They starting complying them as MB in July 2009.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 11:56 PM   #6
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

However, you'll probably find the Mondeo 3 VIN plate inside the door says "Category MA" - just like my MB XR5, built Jan 2010 but complied Apr 2010.

Sellers who are not familiar with these cars can be easily confused when looking for the "model" info.

Also, IIRC, only Oz has MA / MB / MC designations ...the UK uses a different method and I think they are all Mondeo Mk3 MA models.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
mauricio

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt View Post
However, you'll probably find the Mondeo 3 VIN plate inside the door says "Category MA" - just like my MB XR5, built Jan 2010 but complied Apr 2010.

Sellers who are not familiar with these cars can be easily confused when looking for the "model" info.

Also, IIRC, only Oz has MA / MB / MC designations ...the UK uses a different method and I think they are all Mondeo Mk3 MA models.
Yes you're right that was the confusing part that the plate says Category MA so I assume that the dealer used this to write up the car description. I wonder if there is 1 feature that the MB has that the MA never had or offered as an option. I think it may be the colour display.
Old 18-02-2014, 09:02 AM   #8
mauricio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Should be an MB. They starting complying them as MB in July 2009.
Yes also thought that as my car compliance date is 07/09
Old 18-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #9
mauricio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleek7 View Post
The last time I took my 09 MB xr5t into ford for a service (was still within 3 year warranty period) they called me back and tried to tell me it was an MA because "that's what our system is saying"... I argued with the lady about it on the phone that it was in fact an MB and she said shed get the mechanics to have a look. I get a call back an hour later saying it is an MB and that there was a mistake in their system...

Anyway by the sounds of it, it would seem you have an MB. I have seen others being sold under the wrong models before (MAs sold as an MB and MBs sold and an MA...)
Agree I think non Ford dealers (in this case it was a Kia dealer) get confused by the Category MA shown on VIN plate.
Old 18-02-2014, 07:34 PM   #10
nevetsg

Sounds like an MB zetec missing the Zetec badge. Does it have the chrome around the side windows? That is another MB trait...

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #11
mauricio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevetsg View Post
Sounds like an MB zetec missing the Zetec badge. Does it have the chrome around the side windows? That is another MB trait...
Hello. Yes it has chrome on side windows, didn't know that so a new discovery. Cheers. My car is just missing the ZETEC badge but i won't lose sleep over it.
Old 19-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #12
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

go to www.etis.ford.com and the Vehicle tab.
Enter your VIn and see what you get !!

My MB XR5T (Oz-delivery) comes up as a
Mondeo 2007-, 2.5L Duratec-ST (220ps) - VI5
Built on 14.01.2010 etc etc etc etc
and you get a list of Minor features too.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2014, 04:15 AM   #13
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Do I have a MA or MB Please Help.

There is no MA or MB Mondeo in Europe. It's just something that Ford Oz dreamed up and only affects the specs.

Having said that, my runout MB TDCi is far better quality than the early MA I had.