Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 02-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Wheel Nut The Security One!

Guys DON"T ever loose the security wheel socket that comes with the car because there are NO replacement available especially for e.g. you have a flat between Sydney & Melbourne the car needs to be towed and have the nuts drilled off! is there another way to get them off ? :

apstar

apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Check this one out mate, should help...

http://www.fordxr5turbo.com/forum/in...ic,5956.0.html
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan
Check this one out mate, should help...

http://www.fordxr5turbo.com/forum/in...ic,5956.0.html
I would if I had a password !!

apstar
Old 02-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
xrford
WAGONE

are they aftermarket ones?
I know when i bought saas ones they come with a code for that particular key, i just got a replacement one through autobarn for $10 but yours must be different???
i know a mate that smacked his loose with a hammer and chisel but he had easy access to the front of it.... yours look like theyre a bit recessed
xrford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
I would if I had a password !!

apstar

Signup. Its free and they don't send you garbage.

Or just go here, this is the order form.

You'll need the key code that came in your cars user manual to order the replacement.
https://www.wheellockkeys.com/homepa...bestellung.php

McGuard manufacture the locknuts for ford.
I've got two sets of McGuards on my wheels, they are the best going. So if you don't have the key your in deep.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had my huards rolled by some clowns in the city and they stripped the head on my lock nut. It took me 2 hours to drill and chisel the damn thing off. I was tempted to drive back to the dealer and throw it though their window.
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
hendrixhc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Signup. Its free and they don't send you garbage.

Or just go here, this is the order form.

You'll need the key code that came in your cars user manual to order the replacement.
https://www.<b>wheellockkeys.com</b>...bestellung.php

McGuard manufacture the locknuts for ford.
I've got two sets of McGuards on my wheels, they are the best going. So if you don't have the key your in deep.
LRsedan I hope you understand I'm not talking about keys for a keylock on the nut!!

apstar
Old 02-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #8
lubby1

I once used an old socket, it has to be smaller then the lock nut hit it on with a hammer and then simply grab the ratchet and take it off.

You will ruin the socket but it gets it off if its an emergency.
lubby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #9
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Most locknuts can be removed by bashing a socket over it and using a ratchet, remove it. Done a heap in the past and probably do a heap in the future.

Key lock style. A paperclip, bit of wiggling and wala, no more locking mechanism.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 11:54 PM   #10
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe this photo helps the shape is unique to each car nobody else socket will fit mine and you cannot get an replacement if lost YOU ARE STUFFED!!

apstar

ps I might take then off and replace with standard nut I can see what's going to happen one day :togo:

Last edited by apstar; 03-02-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:23 AM   #11
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

A 21 or 22 MM hexigional socket, with a FBH and extension bar. Goodbye locknut for good.

All that's required is to make sure the socket will be a tight fit prior to bashing with the FBH. Then guaranteed, locknut will be gone for good and rims will be scratch and dent free, providing you're not a lousy shot

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 03-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #12
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Most locknuts can be removed by bashing a socket over it and using a ratchet, remove it. Done a heap in the past and probably do a heap in the future.

Key lock style. A paperclip, bit of wiggling and wala, no more locking mechanism.
Of course, this will only work if the socket is harder than the lock nut, otherwise you'll just ruin the socket and scratch the locknut. Anyone tried to get a McGard lock nut off using this method?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #13
dsyfer

Surely you could drill a hole in the centre and bash in a large square easy-out?
dsyfer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 03:08 PM   #14
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
LRsedan I hope you understand I'm not talking about keys for a keylock on the nut!!

apstar
Im having trouble deciphering this sentence...

Isn't your post saying you have lost the socket to remove the locknuts???

If so, order a new one from the link I posted using the "locknut ID code" provided with your car. It is a unique identifier that is paired to your nuts, McGuard will have the socket ready to go.

If your saying you lost the actual locknut, just buy a newset from McGuard.

Either scenario McGuard will help you out.

I know it works because I've ordered a set.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #15
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:

If so, order a new one from the link I posted using the "locknut ID code" provided with your car. It is a unique identifier that is paired to your nuts, McGuard will have the socket ready to go.

Firstly, looking at the picture, it appears to be an aftermarket locknut. So the problem then comes to, what brand of locknut is it, so another locknut key can be ordered.

If you can't findout what brand the locknut is, then you've got to remove it, before you can put a new set on. Correct? Or am I missing something here?

NZXR6. The socket I use is an elcheapo Repco one. Removed a fair few with that socket and it's still good for a few more. All that's needed is for the teeth inside the socket to grip the outer edge of the locknut and it'll come off.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #16
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Ok all sorted out. I was getting confused between Key Code as in car keys just noticed on my Mondeo I did something stupid but in the end saved my balls. I took the nut out of the plastic bag and placed it in the glove compartment when I had my tyres rotated the dick head who rotated my tyres never put it back BUT I left the plastic bag with the spare tyre and thought it was instructions on how to use it, well not only it was indeed instructions but it had the LockNut code number on it or as I now know it by KeyCode so all of you Mondeo owners it might be worth while writing that number down somewhere, thanks to all that helped out

apstar :
Old 03-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #17
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd expect that Ford have a record of the locknut code for each car supplied with alloy wheels. But it might be worth ordering a spare and keeping it somewhere safe just in case.

It's worth a look at the McGard website: http://www.mcgard.com/Home/AutomotiveProducts
I really would love to know if the socket trick works with their "restricted chemistry" hardening, but I'm not prepared to risk damaging a $125 set of lock nuts!

Anyway, I just see lock nuts as a deterrent against the Really Stupid wheel thieves who think that Euro Ford alloys are worth stealing.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:45 AM   #18
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

The only downfall with expecting Ford to keep records of all cars supplied with locks is, some aren't fitted with locks when they're at a Ford dealership. Cars can be traded at other dealerships, minus locks and those dealerships could fit them, or the owners could fit them and then trade the car in. Rather impossible, don't you think?

Ideally, the best solution is as APSTAR has said. Record the number of the key and most importantly, the manufacturer of the locknuts. Saves headaches all round

Old 04-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #19
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Good advice here. Weekend comes, I'll be noting the wheel nut number. I'll be writing it down somewhere in the car and also in the Mondeo file at home.

I think I have two of these nuts, which means I'll be taking one out and putting it with my spare key. The other will stay in it's cunning hiding place.

When they rotated my tyres at the last service, I don't remember telling the dealer where the key was hidden...
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #20
ian b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1

When they rotated my tyres at the last service, I don't remember telling the dealer where the key was hidden...
If in fact they did rotate the wheels....................................
Old 04-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #21
r2d2

I had R2D2 in for a service and they forgot to put on a lock nut. I went back the next day and they said they couldnt order a new nut but had to order a full set, $245 is what they quoted. They paid for it. Thank goodness.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #22
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian b
If in fact they did rotate the wheels....................................
Due to my inability to get the car washed and their inability to do so, I know they did rotate them.

How could I tell? Those on the front were cleaner than those on the rear.

I'll have to have a look tonight if the lock nuts are still there.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #23
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Ford does have a master key that fits all nuts.

You can also request this to remove your wheels if you loose your socket.
As far as I know the master key is in melbourne only. Your dealership may have it?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:40 AM   #24
Fenno70
Starter Motor

I had my car serviced yesterday and they stripped the lock nut...blamed the tyre company who recently fixed my flat -said they overtightened it. Looks like they damaged the pattern of the lock nut, it still fits on but there's a bit of play.

Their solution is to weld a normal nut onto it and use that to get it off. Haven't done this yet...so if I get a flat in the mean time I am stuffed. When they do that I'll just leave a normal nut on...who the hell would steal Mondeo rims??
Fenno70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #25
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

People steal anything these days...

The McGuards are ultra high security, but can be damaged easily by careless tyre fitters.

I remove all lock nuts and replace with regular wheel nuts before going for servicing and tyre replacement. I then refit the lock nuts after they have done their work.

This way Im guaranteed not to have to worry about careless people stripping the locknuts which are extremely hard to remove once damaged.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #26
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Locknuts aren't hard to remove by any stretch of the imagination. If I had a dollar for everyone I've removed, I'd be retired by now.

There are locknut removers available these days. They're a similar design to an easiout. They're in a socket form and they go over the nut gripping the metal when it's being undone.

Another way, is belting a socket over the end of it and undoing them.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #27
seduced_xr
BF XR6

my locking key snapped in half when i was putting my wheels back on, it took my local tyre shop 10 minutes and $15 to knock a socket over them and get them off.

i didnt bother replacing them because if they can get them off in 10 minutes with a cheap socket set whats the point in having them
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #28
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by seduced_xr

i didnt bother replacing them because if they can get them off in 10 minutes with a cheap socket set whats the point in having them
i reckon you have more chance of hearing some numbnuts smashing a socket over your locknut ar 3am than him quietly using a wheelbrace to undo normal nuts.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #29
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Locknuts aren't hard to remove by any stretch of the imagination. If I had a dollar for everyone I've removed, I'd be retired by now.

There are locknut removers available these days. They're a similar design to an easiout. They're in a socket form and they go over the nut gripping the metal when it's being undone.

Another way, is belting a socket over the end of it and undoing them.
That always works for normal lock nuts, not these ones factory fitted to mondeo.

The McGuards fitted to the mondeo and focus XR5 are ultra high security.

They are hardened steel, extremely hard to drill. And the outside of the nut is not part of the actual threaded nut, so it spins independently if you try to belt on a socket.

These locknuts aren't on the falcons, so most people would have seen them before.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #30
warren77

Quote:
These locknuts aren't on the falcons, so most people would have seen them before.
From my experience, I think that the statement from LRSedan could be expanded to cover most things about the Mondeo, including from Ford Sales and Service people themselves.

ie I had a Ford Service person tell me it is impossible to take the key fob out of the car with the engine running. Had to explain to them about that whole "keyless start" thing.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post