Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #31
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Any of you been bitten? It's not pleasant. I stuffed my hand into the rear quarter cavity on our Mazda 323 skid car to do the fuel clamps up and got bitten twice. Straight to hospital, very painful and when I came back, I gassed the crap out of that whole car! 3 cans of mortein and a bug bomb in the shed. You learn your lesson guys, that's all I'll say!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #32
kinksta
Luxojet

Yes I have been bitten by a red back and a white tail, red back wasn't as painful. But I still won't kill a spider, just remove them and put them somewhere else.
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #33
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I'm half tempted to lock the LTD in the shed, windows on it down, and set of a couple of them bug bomb things, at the front and rear of the car, just to really evacuate any squatting tenants, after reading some of the stories.

Even more so tempted to do it knowing that (hopefully) very soon I'll be doing work on it which will require me to be pulling bits apart - who knows what bugs (or rust) lies therein!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 10:43 PM   #34
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Got a garden full of snakes and spiders.....they don't worry me anywhere near as much as the dangerous inhabitants that lurk on Sydneys roads!

Still good advice re: redbacks- I've been bitten on the leg but suffered little more than swelling and local pain but it can be worse if you react badly. Much as I hate killing them, a bomb in the garage is better than constantly getting bitten yourself.

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #35
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
So did I ... until he crawled up my arm the other evening in the Territory while doing a ton on the M7 ... man was that interesting. Bugger was the size of my hand as well.
I had one 'attack' me on a trip to the tip years ago (I was driving a XF). couldn't see it, was crawling on my back/shoulder/neck. I brushed it off (thinking at the time it was some vegetation). Not til I got to the tip did I notices, a few legs left on my shirt. Never did find the spider, and never saw it again. figure it ended up in the tip.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #36
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going to a hospital for a redback bite is why our emergency wards are so over burdened. Unless you are allergic to them (rare) all you do is put ice on the wound.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 11:38 PM   #37
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Going to a hospital for a redback bite is why our emergency wards are so over burdened. Unless you are allergic to them (rare) all you do is put ice on the wound.
That would all depend on where the bite was. I was recently sitting in a hospital freaking the doctors out as they removed a redback that had bitten me several times in my ear... yes my flipping ear.
I was in severe pain and couldn't hear for a few days, the inside of my ear was really swollen, took almost a week for everything to settle.

Oh and the little creature must have decided he would take a free ride inside my ear whilst I was at work (went outside for a break and ended up with ear ache and feeling sick and wanting to be sick within half hour).
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 11:42 PM   #38
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the heads up and not long ago i had a spider issue in my car and man i hate spiders
Old 02-11-2010, 11:55 PM   #39
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
That would all depend on where the bite was. I was recently sitting in a hospital freaking the doctors out as they removed a redback that had bitten me several times in my ear... yes my flipping ear.
I was in severe pain and couldn't hear for a few days, the inside of my ear was really swollen, took almost a week for everything to settle.

Oh and the little creature must have decided he would take a free ride inside my ear whilst I was at work (went outside for a break and ended up with ear ache and feeling sick and wanting to be sick within half hour).
NASTY
gee i wont sleep tonight after reading this post.
mate of mine used to work doing those trash pac garden bags in the steel frames you hire monthly and got rats jumping on him and 12 redback bites in two years, they love the underside of bags where it goes over frame,he says the last 4 or 5 bites just felt itchy for a few hours as he's built up an immunity to redbacks from so many bites
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 12:03 AM   #40
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinksta
Yes I have been bitten by a red back and a white tail, red back wasn't as painful. But I still won't kill a spider, just remove them and put them somewhere else.
That's why ya keep getting bitten... drongo

Shovels for killing Spiders, 410's for Snakes. In my Utopia all the snakes and spiders died in a murder suicide.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 12:09 AM   #41
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I understand keeping spiders alive, they kill mozzies and other critters, but there are that many of them, I just squish them and keep working. I react badly to redback bites, I get pretty acute nausea, severe vomiting and dizzyness. Usually I need at least a GP. And afterwards a beer!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 01:10 AM   #42
kinksta
Luxojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
That's why ya keep getting bitten... drongo

Shovels for killing Spiders, 410's for Snakes. In my Utopia all the snakes and spiders died in a murder suicide.
Sorry I should have gone into more detail. The white tail bite was when I was 10 whilst crawling under a bed hiding, and the redback was when I was 12 playing in the shed.

And I don't kill them because I love all animals great and small, especially predators. hehe

You need a shovel to kill a spider? hahahahahaaaa
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 01:17 AM   #43
fmc351
let it burn

+1 for the bombs. Although foggers work better IMO. Before I start playing around on any older car I havent touched for a while, or unknown to me, I set off a fogger inside it. We get those monster bird spiders (whatever theyre called) along with the nastier 'littlins'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinksta
Thank you for that, plenty of people think all spiders kill, so they all must die. Which is sad.
Oh no, they must die. Spider, big shoe, STAIN! I hate when my Mrs would make a noise, or lift her feet on the couch with that deer in the headlights look, I knew there was a large spider running over the floor. So I ask her to grab me a shoe, she is right next to the shoes rack ...and she gets my boys shoes, they were like size 3 or something. Id prefer my size 11 dear.

On a side, in Victoria I knew a lady when I was a kid (maybe 8), she was driving an old ?XY? wagon, she jumps hard on the skids screaming her head off (horror film screaming, with the hands flailing) in the middle of the road, then abandons her car, door open before its stopped, kids still in the car, shes freaking right out. She had just checked her speed, the speedo was full of one big hunstman. So much for a mothers instinct, a psycho could come through the door and she'd be at him with a toothpick, but a spider, youre on your own kids.

I had a similar experience some years later. Was driving a Laser hirecar, I parked at my folks next to a tree just before dark. An hour or two later we all hopped back in, drove off about 15 km away, when my Mrs opened the door, I looked across and a massive grey orb type spider was just above her head. Hey bub, look up.

Nup, I bloody hate spiders.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 01:23 AM   #44
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
On a side, in Victoria I knew a lady...
Mate, it was you. You know it, we all know it - admit it.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 01:30 AM   #45
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I think I have at least one hitchhiker from RG's place in the XR. I clear the webs, and they keep coming back!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 01:34 AM   #46
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Mate, it was you. You know it, we all know it - admit it.
Im keepin shtum! (sp?)
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #47
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Im not worried about spiders when working on the cars. I was mowing up our block where the shed is amd had to move some stuff near the xr wagon. Found 2 baby brown snakes so caught them in a glass jar to scare the crap out of mum lol. Im not looking forward to finding mother snake. Couldn't find it anywhere.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #48
ltd
Force Fed Fords

For those of us going in to our garages over the next few months we need to be extra specially cautious of Funnel Web spiders. Last year I came across about 8 of them in a 2 month period, I'd move a box or something and find the little bastards.
After having the garage sprayed with arachnocide I didn't see any more. Funnel Webs are ground dwelling spiders that need to remain moist otherwise they die. The reason they come in to your garage is simple; they are there to escape the heat and light of the day; conditions where they would otherwise dry out. Further, they are transient little buggers looking for a mate which is why most often encountered in and around the home are males.

Not known to many people are that funnel webs are resistant to Fly Spray and insect bombs. In fact, fly spray is a sure fire way to make them aggressive. So how to kill them? Petrol or Diesel is a good way as they evaporate moisture, but petrol takes a little time for the spider to die where it is now ****ed off and looking at you. Well, as I found out last summer there is a better way. In every weekend mechanics toolkit is the answer; Electrical Contact Cleaner. It is reknowned as the worlds best moisture dispersant. If you've ever sprayed any of this stuff on your skin, you know how quickly it dries it off as well as how cold it is. Spray some of this on the funnelweb and it literally cannot and will not move. It basically evaporates their moisture so quickly that they pretty much freeze.

Before my garage was treated with arachnocide I killed probably about 6 of the little bastards. I'd move an empty carton and bang, there one was. Got to be really annoying. Luckily, after clearing up leaf litter with welding gauntlets on, the arachnocide completely stopped their ingress into my garage. Funnily enough, before getting my place sprayed I discovered these little buggers just love being inside the cutting area of your lawn mower, where residual moist grass is and they can make a little burrow and prey upon little insects happening by. Ingenious really.

Anyway, I can put up with a few spiders but funnelwebs and humans do not mix.
Points are these;
Always wear closed shoes (ie not thongs) in your garage,
Always bounce your lawn mower back and forward before you put your foot near it to start it,
Always have a plan for what to do when you encounter one of them in a closed space,
Always be vigilant and expect to find one when moving stuff,
Finally, if you've seen signs of them around alert those living with you of the dangers; especially children. If you do have children don't play about, get your home treated with arachnocide (it's about $90.00 a litre undiluted, but it works).

Quote: