Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Smile Does your badge make you smile?

Hi guys,

I went for a small drive last night as my car is going into the work shop probably this week and I won’t get it back for 2 months or so, so I want to have my last few drives before she leaves me.

I pulled over at a Hungary Jacks to have a smoke (don’t smoke in the car) and after a few minutes found myself in a long daze staring at my XR8 badge with the strangest smile. I think if people saw me at that moment no doubt they would of been concerned. My point is I’ve owned a few nice cars in my time some fairly newer then this EL XR, but I’ve always had such a love for this series that no matter what car I was in, I’ve always stop & stare at these models.

Ive suggested to my mates that after the project is complete that I want to have this as my wedding car and they laughed at the thought saying, "It’s an $8,000 car Jase"....... Which I know is true, and Im not deny that fact. But the way people love XY GT's, old HQ's and even motor bikes, this is my love to me, this is my XY GT ....

So to my question, has any got this same churning feeling deep down in the pit of their stomach when they think about their ride, there face lights up in just mere satisfaction???

Sorry for the long post....

Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Thats great you have such pride and appreciation for your car, nice to hear. I sometimes giggle like a little girl when I walk past my subtle little red 'turbo' boot lid badge.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
VICFPV

My BA GT has always put a smile on my dial.
Its going to stay with me a long time.
VICFPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

I know what you mean Grippy, I might be getting a badge like that once the project is complete but Im not sure yet...
VICFPV - Ive always said the same thing about my cars, "this is it, Im keeping this one" yadda yadda yadda... But I can honestly say, I love it! Ive never been so happy to drive a car and change gears at 1,800 rpm just to know Im taking care of her!
Old 09-11-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
Venomous1
5.0 means business

I have starred at my badge before and smiled while washing the car girlfriend thought i'm mad. Doesn't matter what the value is to me my car is everything I ever wanted.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
fmc351
let it burn

The important thing is, does the little lady share your view on wedding car choice? No-one else matters, just you and her.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #7
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I took my badges off, but I got that same silly little smile, while reading your post, and thinking of my own XR8. There is just something about my car that I love. Don't know what it is. Never had it with any other car.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #8
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELIIXR8
...after a few minutes found myself in a long daze staring at my XR8 badge with the strangest smile..
god forbid, you ever happen to stare at a GT badge then! Might not just be your smile that people notice jk

I understand totally, I used to love having an XR8 badge, even though I never even made the most of the power, I was just so stoked to own one. Sadly now the badge says XR6, but it's mine so I'm still smiling

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile

The badge doesn't really appeal to me as much as the rapid accelleration when I squeeze the throttle.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

6 years ago I went looking for a newer car and I did all the usual searching internet papers but found one in my local country area which was ok. I wanted to head off to the big smoke and find a deal there as I reckoned I could stretch to the XR6T rather than just BA XR6. My mrs said no thats a lot of trouble yadda yadda yadda so we bought the N/A one. It has served us well but I remember her comming home one day and saying that everytime someone stops to admire it they always ask ïs it the turbo"? Now 6 years later YES YES YES I have an FG XR6 TURBO. Kiddin that badge doesn't make me smile. You bet it does. YIPPEEEEEEEE.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #11
Danny
GT4.

I used to like the Renault Badge on the Clio Sport's tiller. I used to stop and polish it at traffic lights and blow the dust out from the centre of it..
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #12
SXR6
Still a Ford boy... Just.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
I There is just something about my car that I love. Don't know what it is. Never had it with any other car.
I'm with you mate. Exactly the same feeling. I know this is bad but I look at my car and look at other XR8s and think to myself that mines better lol.
Probably just because its mine

Ever since I was a teen, when the AU XR8 came out I thought, I've gotta get myself an XR8, I will have one some day. blah blah, as time went on, the B series model came out and I hated them... until one day.. I was out with the parents looking for a car for them at a subaru dealer I looked across the road and saw a Black BA XR8 sitting in the lot and it looked nice, real nice.
I went over for a look see.. ended up going for a test drive and fell inlove with it. Drove it home 2hrs later lol.

Most of my mates tell me, its crap, ugly, slow blah blah, sell it get a better car like an FG and whatever else, but I just can't bring myself to do it, I can't let it go, the car suits me and does everything I want it to do and I often find myself just starring at it with that grin the OP mentions lol.

Once they wake up its water boy time though.
SXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #13
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

I tend to spend longer then necessary cleaning up the badges on my car, not sure why but I do.

Also I am not just saying this because it is mine but;

I had to smile today when I was walking over to my car at school this afternoon,
I was already in a good mood as today was the last day of classes ever at highschool, but I looked up and down the school looking at all other cars that were there.
Other P-plate cars, parents cars etc, and I could honestly say mine was the nicest, cleanest car out the front of the school. That really made me smile.

Also while driving out the front of the school all other year 12's were beeping there horns and they were all small buzz boxes. I decided I would join in the fun, just a couple of times.
And mine would have been the loudest, deepest horn of all of them - and it is only the standard falcon horn.
This was another reason to smile

Just small things like that -
I am also known to be seen looking at my car with the stupid mindless grin that the OP mentions.
Sometimes it is only pics of the car.
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #14
sleek7

Used to do it more during the first few months of ownership but not as much now. But definitely after its had a good wash I still stand back and admire the whole car for about 10 mins
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

I brought all my kids home from hospital after being born in my EL XR8. My son who was first born, his baby bonus went under the bonnet. (baby bonus was usually nick named the plasma bonus but to me it was the Windsor bonus)
My twin girls born 14 months later also came home in the EL XR8. So it has great sentimental value for me.
Occasionally when I put the rubbish in the wheelie bin in the garage I catch my car at a certain angle and I think there is no car better looking than this. I then grab a cloth and give part of it a clean, then I go out of control and detail it for hours.

I don't know why but the magic number for me would be a 600hp EL XR8. I've got about 300hp to go on the engine. To me I'd rather have this car than anything else I've seen on the road. She may not be the fastest but everyday she is on the road she gets looks (Oh I see you looking) especially when my gorgeous wife is driving it. She gets 10 fold more looks than I do.

I completely see where you are coming from ELII XR8. If I drove past seeing you stare at your car I probably would of pulled up next to you and done the same.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #16
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

This is great to see so many people out there that have so much passion about the same thing!!!
FMC351 - Yeh she is more then happy to have it as the wedding car providing the respray is complete. A 300rwkw+ force injected falcon is her dream! LOL

Matt - I totally understand where your coming from! Particularly about the horn! My Mrs and I have a little joke that everytime I sound the horn we look at eachother and go, "Thats a real Horn". Even about 8 yrs ago when I owned my XR6 my mate use to love it saying it sounds like a luxury euro horn or something!

LOWEL - Mate I see were your coming from.. I look at mine in oar and think how great it is. I mean no disrespect to anyone by this as we know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I look at mine and think it is truly the most perfect falcon ever made in every way possible!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #17
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Always wondered what they called Burger King in Hungary, thanks for finding out mate!

As for badges, I'm a big fan. The tickford wings and an XR badge always make me smile. Can't understand why so many people debadge their cars, especially when they are a decent model. If I see a BA/BF with an FPV bodykit and no badges I immediately think povo-pak XT driven by a young bloke. If I see an AU with a T3 kit and no badges I immediately think povo-pak forte driven by a young bloke.

This is just my opinion but I think (certain) badges add prestige and break up bland areas of paintwork; making it look a lot more interesting (or 'busy' for some), classy and distinguishable from something that looks like it came back 1500 bucks poorer from Xtr3m3 Kustom$.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:13 PM   #18
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

ST - I blame spell check.... LOL

Yeh I totally agree mate, badges set the difference of the car! To take them away in trying to look like everything else. That an the after market tail lights just kill me!!!! What the hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:16 PM   #19
EF
Formerly gt.4.me

everytime i see my mums Fg gt i cant help but gaze at it and get lost looking at it i love that car!
EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #20
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With 700+ photos of my car in my iPhoto library, I think I can honestly say I have an addiction. I love the little 'S' badge on the back of mine, the 'Zetec S' badge definitely puts a smile on my dial. It's pretty sexy if I say so myself.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #21
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Hahahhahaha, Unreal Danny! Thats alot of photos... Gota love the iPhone...

I remember when I was on the 300ZX forum... There was a fellow on there so obsessed with his Z that he knew his Vin/Chass number off by heart... Now thats commitment... LOL
Old 09-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #22
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Other than my son, I hold my Fords in the highest regard. Each time I look at my cars, whether its the Galaxies, or the XR8 I just smile and feel happy. I could stand there and stare at them for hours like the guys in the Colourbond roof ads.

I am proud of the Ford badge and am proud to be a part of the heritage. The ownership experience of a Ford is like no other. I know it all sounds cheesy, but I feel the connection between Man and Ford automobile is real and strong within me. I could honestly say im a part of a dying breed, but that only makes me stand firmer in what I believe. In this changing world, I sincerely hope the Dream never dies in all of us. May we bleed blue forever.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #23
Mad Maxine

I know that goofy smile. I have it on my face every single time I go out to the shed and see my Coupe. After I've washed and dried her, I'll often sit on the old milk crate seat and just bask in the happy feelings I get when I see her, sit in her, drive her. I've been caught talking to her by my bloke, who thought it was hilarious. I have her picture in my wallet. No other photos, just Mad Maxine.

/tell me I'm sad, but I'll argue I'm just the opposite.

1977 XC GS Coupe
Mad Maxine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #24
Nate_Dog

if i could find an xls badge for my ute boy would that make me smile
Nate_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #25
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
I could stand there and stare at them for hours like the guys in the Colourbond roof ads.
Yes I do this too. I have been known to go out to the garage and just sit in the car for a bit. No reason, other than to sit and admire it.

My car's been locked in the shed at work for the last few weeks, while I've been bringing my work vehicle home (have been working jobs quite close by, so by having the bus at home I can sleep in longer than having to drive to the depot and come back again in peak hour), but on the days I go back to the yard and walk into the shed it's the first thing I see, and immediately brings a smile to my face.
I also walk past and give it a quick pat and a 'hello', and (regretfully) say 'bye' as I leave.

Though Dad came home last night and said that it had been trying to snuggle up to the semi trailer parked in front of it, as it was scared of the storm.
I've also left my FPR plush car "Frosty" in it, to keep it company.
Yes, we talk about it as if it was a person. It has a name (it's numberplate). Nothing wrong with us....
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #26
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
Yes, we talk about it as if it was a person. It has a name (it's numberplate). Nothing wrong with us....
Its this level of personal attachment is what im talking about. Cars are more than just transport, theyre a way of life, a metal extension of ourselves. Call it crazy, but your car will always be there through thick and thin.

Last edited by SSD-85; 09-11-2010 at 10:00 PM.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #27
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

My big high mounted turbo is what puts a smile on my face. If anyone would have told me that the most fun on four wheels was MY falcon, 5 years ago, i would have jumped off a bridge. lol. It's rough, noisy, handles on rails, and goes like hell. Everything a car should be and more.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #28
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Not only that... A car is such a true representation of its being.... I think its so true!
Old 09-11-2010, 10:12 PM   #29
MexicanBatman
Banned

NO!

i took the badges of mine, my motto.... badges? badges? we dont need no stinking badges!

my turbo badge is on my tool box along with most other badges ive removed from my stuff since getting the tool box...
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #30
nstg8a

on sunday i went out to capalaba to have a nose round the ford dealers, to see what they had, turned out they had virtually no new falcons there, so i wandered over to the holden dealer right next door, still nothing that blew me away.
but as i walked back onto the footpath i saw my car sitting on the side of the road in the sun, the low sun was reflecting off the polished part of my streeters, and the poly green paint seemed to just soak up the sun... it just looked low, phat and mean... and right there i loved my car lol.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post