Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-01-2020, 08:18 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default A query from Franco

Good evening ladies, gents, he/him, they, her/she, spaceships, non binaries, LGBTIQIAXYZ+, unicorns and ASIO - I’d like to begin by acknowledging the Traditional Owners of the internet on which we meet today. I would also like to pay my respects to trolls past and present.

A friend of mine is moving to the NT and has asked me for some advice on buying a 4x4, the budget is $12,000 and we're going to go out car shopping soon (my favorite kind of shopping).

Now, I'm thinking there are a few forks here where they can go:

Real 4x4 (ie Landcruiser/Patrol)
Claytons 4x4 (Thailand special)

Then within those two forks we've got diesel and unleaded engines.

Given the budget is low, its going to put us square in 20+ year old vehicle territory for the real deal and probably around 10-15 on the Thailand specials.

Now that they're going to the NT the first thing that come to my mind was Landcruiser and Patrol - but the unleaded variations because of the budget, so 80 or 100/105 series with 1FZFE I6 or GQ/GU Patrol with TB45/TB48 I6

For this budget it seems we may be able to get an early 4L V6 Hilux of the 2005 onwards model and the rest are the diesel variants with many more kilometers for the spondoolies.

Method to my madness is that given the cars are so old, its probably better to cop the circa 100% increase in fuel costs but the benefit is that they're cheap to fix when they start acting up compared to CRD engines.

Also I figure that location means that parts availability and local repair knowledge on the Toyota/Nissan 4x4s is going to be better than anything else.

I'm not sure if they plan on going on mad desert expeditions but I'll find out, I imagine that fuel availability in whoop whoop means unleaded would be off the cards.

Recap of requirements:

4x4 non negotiable
$12,000 budget

Any automotive advice and general commentary on everything 4x4 would be appreciated.

Thanks
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2020, 08:29 PM   #2
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Default Re: 2500hp Barra EXPLODES into a BAZILLION pieces!

Did the 2500HP barra have a budget of 12K. If so thats the issue.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2020, 08:52 PM   #3
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

4.0l V6 hilux. Those things go for ever
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2020, 09:31 PM   #4
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Good evening ladies, gents, he/him, they, her/she, spaceships, non binaries, LGBTIQIAXYZ+, unicorns and ASIO - I’d like to begin by acknowledging the Traditional Owners of the internet on which we meet today. I would also like to pay my respects to trolls past and present.

You forgot to include LGBTIQIAXYZ-, somebody or something may be offended
Old 03-01-2020, 09:36 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Also add one to the serious 4x4 list - Suzuki Jimny (2008-2012 fits in budget).

Yes it seems laughable but its actually a serious 4x4:

https://www.caradvice.com.au/15112/2...sierra-review/
Old 03-01-2020, 09:41 PM   #6
hayseed

If you're in No real Hurry ?
Start getting around the Auctions...Or Let a few Dealers Who Wholesale a lot of their Trade ins what you Want. sit back & wait..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2020, 09:44 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
If you're in No real Hurry ?
Start getting around the Auctions...Or Let a few Dealers Who Wholesale a lot of their Trade ins what you Want. sit back & wait..
There's a bit of a move on but they're oldskool, want to scope out some dealerships, maybe we can get to the auctions too.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:54 PM   #8
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pajero or Pathfinder not an option?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-01-2020, 11:22 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Pajero or Pathfinder not an option?
I've added Pajero and Challenger - not sold on Pathfinder or Navara, have worked on a few and they've got timing chain issues among other dramas.

Challenger seems very good value for money
Old 03-01-2020, 11:29 PM   #10
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: A query from Franco

Prado or Pajero.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2020, 11:59 PM   #11
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Pajero, for touring can't go past them and more reliable than a Toyota or Nissan (i've had them all). I had an NP Pajero 10 years ago and flogged the absolute crap out of it for two years straight and never had a single issue besides a few noisy pullys because i drowned it a few times. Was such an awesome 4x4 for what it was. They are always really cheap too, i'd stick with the petrol though.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:22 AM   #12
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Yep, i'd go the Pajero, my Nephew bought an 02 model recently, 1 owner 3.5l V6 with 210k's, drives like new, runs perfect, body is mint in the blue duco, he paid $5k and gets around the same mileage with the 5sp auto as I get with the SY.
To get the equivalent in a Prado would set you back twice as much and then some.
My Wife keeps pointing them out and suggesting we get one to replace the Terri when the time comes, a later model VRX with 3.8l would be a nice bit of kit.
I also like the look of the petrol 100 series but it'd need to be on gas.

I did a bit of research into the Paj and I believe anything pre 05 is non common rail if looking at the 3.2l diesel versions.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2020, 01:15 AM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Gonna try steer them away from diesel, the exception being the Challenger as it only comes in diesel - has 2.5L Triton CRD which isn't too bad aside from sounding like a truck.

We've moved Pajero (3.8L V6) and Challenger to the top of the list so far to inspect, they seem much cheaper and better value than Toyota and Nissan - there's a few at dealerships around the price we're looking, Challengers are PB model around 2011.

Of course there are a heap of GU Patrol about in the price range with the boat anchor 3L ZD30 diesel engine grenade
Old 04-01-2020, 01:53 AM   #14
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We've been fanging our beach surf trips in a 4.0L V6 120 Series Prado, that's a good car. Very reliable drivetrain.

If the Paj is half the price though...

Smaller stuff - Suzuki Grand Vitara with petrol 4 or V6? Dunno about maintenance costs but running will be less and they are supposed to be pretty capable.

Land Battleship: Can you pick up a nice 80 4.5L I6 for this? I've seen good clean auto 105s with the 4.5 petrol in the 12 range.

Offbeat: FJ73 mid wheelbase with FRP roof. Had one of those in petrol auto and it was great. 7-10k? And probably a future classic. Also smaller so more nimble in the scrub. Otherwise I'd go an FJ62 Sahara auto myself for the nostalgia. You even get an inclinometer on some of them
Old 04-01-2020, 01:57 AM   #15
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh yeah and don't forget to Barra swap every one of those recommendations
Old 04-01-2020, 02:38 AM   #16
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive got a 1fzfe 80 series cruiser. The donk is bulletproof. They were built for a 1 million km life cycle before rebuild.and it shows. Theyre heavy on juice of course but the 1hz (base diesel) isnt much better and is deathly slow. For your budget youll get a decent 1fzfe (dont touch the earlier 3f) in an 80 or 100 series or a 1hz 80. A later 1hd might be in the budget but itd be rooted or need work and forget about the 1hdft.
1hzs need timing belts every 100k i think, and injector pump failure is common and very exxy.
1fz's buggest Achilles heel is their fuel usage. Theyre even easier to work on than the 1hz. Fuel filter is the only thing that can be a nightmare if the previous owner installed it like a bastard.
The 5 speed box is common to be lacking synchro assistance. Id say 90% of manual owners have to double clutch down if its got decent kms on it. However the autos are tough as nails and perform well.
My petrol is a 1997 and has no o2 sensors or cat converters (factory, passed rwc like that) so ive basically got an old school donk with really basic efi.

If reliability is the key, youre between the 1hz 80 series, 1fz 80 or 100 series or a 12ht 60 series but i doubt you are looking at them. The only good patrol to get is a td42 gu which is not in budget. The tb42 (or tb45, cant remember) is not quite as tough as the 1fz but uses the same amount of fuel. Autos in them are also pretty tough. A mate of mine pushes 40+ pounds through a td42 and manualised auto on 35s with no issues.
Anything other than a patrol or landcruiser and youre kidding yourself in every aspect. The only reason someone buys a prado or pajero is because they cant afford the real thing.
Haters gun hate.

Last edited by Jack91; 04-01-2020 at 02:57 AM.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2020, 03:09 AM   #17
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In terms of offroad (im bored and on holidays and sleeping pattern is rooted), lower spec 80s were still part time 4x4, which is becoming a common swap from us gxl or higher spec owners in pursuit of better economy. However all the way up to the ti gu patrols are part time 4x4. Patrol rear lsds also have a habit of actually working. 80 series rear lsds are crap. 80 series front diffs are weaker than the gu aswell, but we are talking really really serious offroad and 37 inch plus tyres for that to come into play.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:05 AM   #18
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Forget anything with a Toyota badge on it.
Toyotas dominate this market, and for good reason. But that also means they are damn expensive to begin with and hold their value exceptionally well.
$12k is unfortunately bargain-basement in the large 4x4 department, which means any Toyota will be a wreck for that money.

Nissan Patrols, either GQ or GU, are superb, IF you can get the old skool 4.2l diesel or TD. Don't get sucked into the "diesels are expensive to fix" myth. These engines are literally cast iron and damn near indestructible. Ours is now over 400kk and still tonking along. They are literally a truck/bus engine, and built to last.
Try to avoid the 3.0L 4 cylinder EFI diesels. They weren't nicknamed "Grenade Motors"for nothing. (They ironed out many of the bugs over the years, but you're more likely to be looking at older ones.)
Unfortunately the big 6's are getting quite rare.

Personally, I would never buy a petrol in that age bracket. The engines just don't have the longevity of their diesel cousins, and their economy is woeful.
Yes, diesel versions are more expensive. There's a reason for that.
If all you care about is price, buy a Great Wally.

Realistically, in your price range, you are probably better off looking at a Ute.
One of the few smart things Holden ever did was selling rebadged Isuzus. Good, solid, commercial vehicles, with very robust diesels.
The pick of the bunch is the Isuzu J engine, and in particular the 4JB1. The richest bloke I know still drives a Rodeo, precisely for this engine. It also opens up the possibility of a Jackeroo if that appeals.
(Last I heard they are still making this engine in China.)
Depending on whether they want a dualie or single, etc, $12k will get a 6~7yr old Colorado, or if you can't stand the badge just look for a D-Max.
NB: The D-Max and the Rodeo/Colorado from around 2003 onwards, are Thai specials. You need to go back to the TF series for a Japanese model.

Last edited by Crazy Dazz; 04-01-2020 at 05:12 AM.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2020, 08:34 AM   #19
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go the toyota 105 petrol 10k will get a good one quite often with extras . Done 70,000klm's in mine was showing 327k when i got it ,unleaded is avail most places and quite often you can get it when the diesel has run out
Old 04-01-2020, 08:49 AM   #20
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Build the GMC with the 6BT and sell it to him, sounds like he might be carrying a lot of stuff.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2020, 09:49 AM   #21
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Put a couple of litres of salt water in the tank of a diesel and a petrol and then tell me how tough diesels are. Ive got both and the diesel 'image' of reliability is the biggest lie out there.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:34 AM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Build the GMC with the 6BT and sell it to him, sounds like he might be carrying a lot of stuff.
GMC Sierra was sold in 2014 unfortunately, it's the only car Ive regretted selling
Old 04-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #23
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Also I don't want to direct them to go too old, I'd prefer to keep it around early 00s at the oldest and upwards - no bloody 2H diesel 60 series Land Cruiser that won't get out of the driveway with an incline

There's a nice FZJ105R GXL Cruiser on the market with 1FZFE close to budget but it's got mid 250,000km on the clock.

A couple of GU Patrols with TB45 I6 too.

All the patrols and cruisers in budget appear to be private sale, were going to do dealerships first, then I'll talk to them see if they're keen on a few house calls.

Patrol doesn't seem to be as highly priced as the Toyota stuff.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 04-01-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #24
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’m keen to pick up a 3.8 V6 petrol Pajero as a touring bus. Things absolutely hammer and are bloody reliable
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #25
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I've always wanted to stick an EFI Windsor in an early 2000s Courier
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2020, 11:48 AM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

First question to ask is what sort of off road driving does he want to do?

If it’s real heavy duty stuff then forget anything like a pajero and go straight to a cruiser or patrol.

Is duel fuel an option cause i’m sure there are a lot of petrol cruisers and patrols out there running duel fuel to keep running costs down, and to boost touring range.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2020, 11:55 AM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
First question to ask is what sort of off road driving does he want to do?

If it’s real heavy duty stuff then forget anything like a pajero and go straight to a cruiser or patrol.

Is duel fuel an option cause i’m sure there are a lot of petrol cruisers and patrols out there running duel fuel to keep running costs down, and to boost touring range.
I'm not sure on the intentions, only brief was that they're going to the NT and they want a 4x4, I'll find out when we catch up and explain to them what they want depends on what they plan on doing, thats why I've sort of gone down the options of the real 4x4 being Patrol or Cruiser if they're planning on really getting into it.

If its just bashing around off the beaten track and camping then the Pajero and Challenger seem like a great fit.

I'm anti dual fuel because majority of the conversions I've come across are all dodgily slapped together mixer ring setups that kill performance and have reliability problems, then the owners only run them on LPG because its cheaper and then they have dramas with the original fuel system killing pumps and things seizing.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2020, 11:55 AM   #28
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate of mine bought a brand new Hilux when he moved to NT.
Saved $10k and bought the 4.0 petrol version.

In hindsight he says he regretted it from day one
Outside the city and once past Humpty Doo, fuel stops are few and far between, and heavily biased towards diesel. When he went to sell it up there - he couldn't.

That alone would steer me towards the 2003+ Patrol, understanding the "hand grenade" risks associated.

(his other big mistake was to buy a 15hp outboard for his tinny - not fast enough against the tides to outrun the lizards, and somtimes not enough grunt for forwards progress, but I digress)

Last edited by 383hq; 04-01-2020 at 12:08 PM.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #29
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383hq View Post
Mate of mine bought a brand new Hilux when he moved to NT.
Saved $10k and bought the 4.0 petrol version.

In hindsight he says he regretted it from day one
Outside the city and once past Humpty Doo, fuel stops are few and far between, and heavily biased towards diesel. When he went to sell it up there - he couldn't.

(his other big mistake was to buy a 15hp outboard for his tinny - not fast enough to against the tides to outrun the lizards, but I digress)
If he held onto it, he’d be laughing now. The 4 litre Hiluxes have become sought after
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2020, 12:15 PM   #30
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
If he held onto it, he’d be laughing now. The 4 litre Hiluxes have become sought after
Cause toyota don’t sell them anymore due to no demand?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post