Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-06-2019, 11:25 PM   #2761
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Geez! I hate that!

Doing the run around for a friend to help them buy a good used car.

Call one person on the Monday - Sorry, busy all week. First viewing will be Friday morning.

Msg them Thursday to confirm time - Sorry, car was sold yesterday. Yet it's been 2 weeks and it's still listed as for sale.

Another add read real sweet. Timing belt changed, services up to date. Owner overseas. Look at the car. Owner didn't sign selling papers - apparently they can be signed and returned within 24 hrs. Hmmm sure. Oh, the receipts for said work? Lost - of course...

Call another girl. Have it got 2 keys? Yep! Arrive to find that the second key is a blank that hasn't been cut or programmed. Yep - I guess I needed to clarify that the keys needed to be functional. Car was a basket case as well. Disgusting really how some people treat their vehicles.

Call another person. Tell them that the RMS states they have a base model with a smaller engine - please clarify what you are selling. A 'mistake' of course. Then when they fix the listing they jack up the price from $5k to $6k when I tell them I want an inspection. Shouldn't they be dropping the bloody price?

Called another person - car was sold a month ago. Still advertised. And it's dirt cheap as well - wouldn't they have enough of the constant phone calls and messages??

Do another inspection. Car has really bad musty smell. Get a very confused look when I tell them they have obvious internal leaking. Nope - apparently it's all in my imagination. Till I open the boot and check the spare wheel well to find a nice water and rust stain all along the floor and in the wheel well as well as a very rusted out spare that has a tyre that is growing white mould. Apparently he never noticed it before... apparently...

Get to another inspection. Notice the person using the keys to open the door. He informs me that the central locking fob just needs a new battery. Apparently they haven't bothered changing it in the 2 years they owned the car. Then he tells me that the central locking plays up and to lock the car you need to first press the door button then use the key to lock the drivers door. Yeah... right. What's a battery $5...

Same guy tells me he is keen to sell. Ready to go as soon as cash is produced. Get there, already ****ed off about the door locks. Look at the rego papers - it's in a girls name. Apparently the car is owned by the guys girlfriends mum - who is at work and didn't sign anything. He had the most confused, look when I said the seller needs to sign to sell the car. Apparently not according to him till I pointed it out.

And on the previous day the guy was saying the car has no issues, and is ready to drive away after purchase when the right amount of cash is produced. Bloody time waster...

Another car - seller seems to be actually afraid of speaking or interacting with real people. Only wants to communicate vie the Carsales App, refuses requests to provide a phone number or call me back. No problem, but each msg I send them has a 2 day turn around for a reply....

Read another add - this time from a dealer. 'Only contact me if you are buying - don't waste my time with questions' - or words to that effect. Not joking.

Another dealer - Booked car in for 10am test drive 2 days prior. Arrive to find the car 10 cars deep in the lot. Guy was surprised that I showed, like he was expecting me to not turn up. Only took then 20 minutes of shuffling to get the car out.

I work some night shifts. I think some phone calls at 2 or 3 am to the tossers that have sold their cars but can't be bothered removing them is in order.. Perhaps then they will remove the car. I hope they get real upset when they ask why I'm calling them at that time lol... I'll ask them why they can't be bothered removing their adds when sold - logical you would think?

Call another seller. Sounded good on the phone. Asked for VIN to do my checks. Guy was out but promised he would send them in the evening. never heard anything. 3 days later I get a text after asking for the VIN again 'Sorry mate - got a better offer, car is sold'. Yeah, didn't make an offer!

Carsales lists mostly phone numbers - great but around 70% of people never answered their phones, nor replied to txt msgs or voice mail.

Drive.com.au sales seem to all want contact made via the site. Sent off around 25 emails to sellers asking for a call back to have a look and NOT 1 REPLY.

Sometimes I really hate having to deal with people.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2019, 11:39 PM   #2762
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Girl across the road from me is selling a pink ‘12 Yaris hatch. She’s not a hoon, car is tidy, I think negotiable. Would that be of interest?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2019, 01:45 AM   #2763
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Doing school sports jobs last couple of weeks...

PSSA sport is in council owned park, down a ****ty little one way side street, never intended for buses to travel.
Turn up, and find roadworks... the only access road to the park, and the roads leading to and away from it are closed for resurfacing, and narrowing. They're adding garden planters to the corners, and probably parking, so that we definitely can't get buses in to drop off and pick up.

Obviously the council department that approves the grounds for school use, don't talk to the department that do roadworks, or grounds keeping. And the traffic planners certainly have no clue.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2019, 08:40 AM   #2764
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Girl across the road from me is selling a pink ‘12 Yaris hatch. She’s not a hoon, car is tidy, I think negotiable. Would that be of interest?
Ended up buying a car last Saturday. All good. Person I was buying for needed 4 -5 doors and an auto. Makes the pool of options limited.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:45 AM   #2765
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
Doing school sports jobs last couple of weeks...

PSSA sport is in council owned park, down a ****ty little one way side street, never intended for buses to travel.
Turn up, and find roadworks... the only access road to the park, and the roads leading to and away from it are closed for resurfacing, and narrowing. They're adding garden planters to the corners, and probably parking, so that we definitely can't get buses in to drop off and pick up.

Obviously the council department that approves the grounds for school use, don't talk to the department that do roadworks, or grounds keeping. And the traffic planners certainly have no clue.
Sounds like the carpark exit at the Hurstville Aquatic centre. Must be a joy for the bigger busses when our Coasters can barely get out without jumping all the barriers.... Person who designed it should be shot.

Old 23-06-2019, 07:14 PM   #2766
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It gets up my nose, and you get it a lot on this forum, when people cheap out, but then proceed to insult the owners of better cars and make various stupid claims about how their POS is actually better.

There's nothing wrong with buying something cheap because it was the best you could afford. I've had cheap junkers in the past for exactly that reason. No shame in that.
Also nothing wrong in prioritising and looking for value for money.
But that doessn't mean that someone who chose to spend more on their car is wrong.

So please stop trying to tell me that your Great Wall is "just as good as a Hilux" because it just isn't. Nor is 2wd better than 4wd, or pov-pack plastic better than Leather, etc.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #2767
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
It gets up my nose, and you get it a lot on this forum, when people cheap out, but then proceed to insult the owners of better cars and make various stupid claims about how their POS is actually better.

There's nothing wrong with buying something cheap because it was the best you could afford. I've had cheap junkers in the past for exactly that reason. No shame in that.
Also nothing wrong in prioritising and looking for value for money.
But that doessn't mean that someone who chose to spend more on their car is wrong.

So please stop trying to tell me that your Great Wall is "just as good as a Hilux" because it just isn't. Nor is 2wd better than 4wd, or pov-pack plastic better than Leather, etc.
Don't worry CD some of us are still living in the past, me included and love our olddddd wrecks.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2019, 05:32 PM   #2768
.:4:.
Kicking back

I really hate it when its obvious that someone is flat out lieing to you. Last friday a builder was supposed to meet me on a site at 7 as he had the keys. I called him and asked when someone will be there. He asked when i got there. I had to find parking so i said 7:10. He then says his bloke was there at 7 and left. So i told him my offsider was there at 6:45. He tells me he will call me back. He calls back saying his guy got locked out and was extremely specific of the desk where the key was left under the keyboard. They were never coming back on friday. All he had to say was that and i would have orginised to come in today like i did and walked away at 7:15 not waste almost 2 hours going forwards and back with 3 different parties.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2019, 05:41 PM   #2769
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Yeah I hate that, or you arrange a time to meet someone onsite you've travelled a fair distance and arrive before or on time and they are really late usually complaining about the same traffic you arrived on time in.
One reason I will not work for builders (they are always late) only directly for the owner.

Old 24-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #2770
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Yeah I hate that, or you arrange a time to meet someone onsite you've travelled a fair distance and arrive before or on time and they are really late usually complaining about the same traffic you arrived on time in.
One reason I will not work for builders (they are always late) only directly for the owner.
Any work we do for that end client, we dont work direct, the amount of orginisation is a nightmare. So the end client raises a purchase order with the facilities management company they outsource to who are in brisbane. That company then raises a purchase order for their electricians who are also in brisbane, who then subcontract the company i work for and raise another purchase order with us as we are in sydney. So needless to say, if the end client wants extras done i cant do them at the time because the chain of po's has to happen again and that usually takes atleast a week. Put it this way. Last week we got a po to order parts to fix 1 light in ashfield. The branch manager asked if we could order parts for 2 others. My offsider said no worries but i cut him off saying if it gets approved. So we submitted a quote to the mob we sub to to fix the 3 lights. That went back up the chain and only the original light got approved. Its probably going to be the most expensive light to fix ever as we will put our standard mark up on, then the mob above us will mark it up further, then the mob above them will mark it up even further. Its rediculous.
Old 24-06-2019, 06:11 PM   #2771
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Its probably going to be the most expensive light to fix ever as we will put our standard mark up on, then the mob above us will mark it up further, then the mob above them will mark it up even further. Its rediculous.
I once installed the fittings for what I thought was the most expensive light ever, client (Mossman bay, Sydney) custom ordered this one light from Milan for me to set into a wall. $3800 for the light, my day rate to cut into a stone wall I previously built and then the electricians cost to hook up. I reckon it must have been well over 6000 all up and for a light down a side passage of the house.

Old 24-06-2019, 06:35 PM   #2772
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I once installed the fittings for what I thought was the most expensive light ever, client (Mossman bay, Sydney) custom ordered this one light from Milan for me to set into a wall. $3800 for the light, my day rate to cut into a stone wall I previously built and then the electricians cost to hook up. I reckon it must have been well over 6000 all up and for a light down a side passage of the house.
Some of the ugly feature lights i have put up over the years as a sparky have been insanely expensive, upwards of 30k for things that dont serve any function greater then looks. Some companies have money to burn. The lamp on the concierge desk in this building i work in in pyrmont is a custom designed 1 off italian thing. It actually looks nice, but not 10 grand nice. It has about $6 of electrical parts in it. A power cord, a cord switch and a screw in lamp holder. Yep, it takes a normal edison screw light globe. Walking into that foyer i guarentee nobody would even notice if that lamp wasnt there.
Old 24-06-2019, 08:58 PM   #2773
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate it when multi-millionaires try to con ordinary Joe Blows out of their money...
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2019, 09:52 PM   #2774
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
I hate it when multi-millionaires try to con ordinary Joe Blows out of their money...
People dont stay rich by spending money needlessly, they spend it where they want, but swindle people for minor inexpensive things. I see it all the time when one man shows try their best to do a good job for clients who have the cash, but theyre too nice about it and end up worse off. I hate seeing that happen. I have worked out over the years during pay negotiations with my boss never to use the term think. If he asks what do you think you are worth, i say i am worth x amount. Ive learnt this over time. If i say i think im worth x amount he jumps on that and says i dont think you are worth x amount, i think you are only worth y amount. So it turns from an opinion based argument to a yes, no situation that has the added pull towards me to just walk. My dad taught me alot about not getting walked on. He is retired but still is a director of his company, just no longer a managing director. So still gets dividends for the percentage he owns.
Again something that after a few years because we found out, is i think its spastic the business gifts given. When i was a teenager my dad sealed a deal and was given a nice pen. Yes, stationary. It lived beside the home to write down messages from people who phoned up. It was a nice pen. Dad lost his parker pen and took the one beside the phone in to work. Nothing unusual. One of his high paid employees asked if he could borrow it for his daughters wedding for the guest book. Dad said no worries, its a pen. Turns out it was silver and second hand in 2001 they were going for 15 bloody grand. For a damn pen. What the crap. Being left handed myself i didnt like the thing very much, id smudge all over the place. Seriously, who spends more then a few dollars on pens, let alone thousands on gifting them. It was heavily devalued though. As soon as my old man opened the box it came in he binned the box.
Old 24-06-2019, 11:17 PM   #2775
marty351
Shenanigans..............

You're left handed too!?

Minorities rule
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2019, 11:23 PM   #2776
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
You're left handed too!?

Minorities rule
Only when you bluff with your right and come in with your left.
Old 24-06-2019, 11:24 PM   #2777
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

By definition, yes, minorities do rule!

I have been arguing this afternoon with an erstwhile acquaintance that his “big end repair” - which lasted nine months - was not sound in theory and having a customer back that often with a rod knock was not good business practice. Wallered bearings - I hate that!
Old 24-06-2019, 11:43 PM   #2778
Kicking back

Now im triggered. Firing shots left, right and centre. People always try to claim warrenty when lamps go out. To argue we changed that one not the one youre pointing at just turns things into wasted arguments and wasted effort. Hence why we write the dates on lamps. If there is no date or its a date from a year or 2 ago, eat it sunshine. I hate the pointless argument that comes my way. I dont want to argue. If i was a tool and wanted to argue then i would have gone to uni to be a lawyer. My mums a lawyer and ive made more this year as a sparky.
Old 24-06-2019, 11:51 PM   #2779
marty351

Absolute shock horror!
Old 24-06-2019, 11:51 PM   #2780
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Everybody should sign and date their trades work.
Old 24-06-2019, 11:57 PM   #2781
marty351

Blaming someone else is a gift, when you do it right.
Old 25-06-2019, 03:38 PM   #2782
roKWiz
Cabover nut

And give itemised written quotes and invoices. I do, so I hate it when others don't.

Old 25-06-2019, 08:41 PM   #2783
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Face unlock.

It will work perfectly when you're masticating in the dark, but the minute you look at the screen with oily, filthy hands in a well lit room, it flat out refuses to accept anything other than passcode. #firstworldproblems
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2019, 10:32 PM   #2784
Kicking back

This is the second time in a few months, same business park, different buildings, but i hate it when things have never been maintained. Shut down the tenant mains to work on the mains they say. Kind of hard to do when the 600a 3 phase cfs unit in the main switch board has welded itself in. So the business park is 30 years old but nothing more then light fittings or leaking taps have been maintained ever. Ive been on management there to get things sorted before something craps out for a long time, but like most things, untill that happens nothing gets done. So no i didnt work on what i had to, i made a temporary fix from part of the metered supply i could isolate.
Old 27-06-2019, 09:00 AM   #2785
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Kettle Etiquette (Ketiquette?)

1. If there are others in the room, or possibly expected shortly, don’t just boil enough for your own cuppa.
2. Don’t go off at a forward planner guest/visitor for “putting too much water in”.

(Further additions welcome.)

I swear, there are some people for whom no matter what size the kettle, they cannot abide by filling it up a decent amount. May their lives be blighted by failed elements and cold drinks on a winter’s day.
Old 27-06-2019, 09:32 AM   #2786
Lunch
Wait, what?

When you’ve organised something a month in advance and specifically went out of your way to wait that month for the benefit of the other party, only to be told when the month is up that it will be another month.
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2019, 09:42 AM   #2787
marty351

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
This is the second time in a few months, same business park, different buildings, but i hate it when things have never been maintained. Shut down the tenant mains to work on the mains they say. Kind of hard to do when the 600a 3 phase cfs unit in the main switch board has welded itself in. So the business park is 30 years old but nothing more then light fittings or leaking taps have been maintained ever. Ive been on management there to get things sorted before something craps out for a long time, but like most things, untill that happens nothing gets done. So no i didnt work on what i had to, i made a temporary fix from part of the metered supply i could isolate.
Sounds like Aeroflot airlines.
Pilots tell maintenence crew what doesn't work.
Old 27-06-2019, 10:01 AM   #2788
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Kind of hard to do when the 600a 3 phase cfs unit in the main switch board has welded itself in.
Stand on a bit of cardboard and get on with it.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2019, 10:15 AM   #2789
marty351

Dry cardboard.
Old 27-06-2019, 12:58 PM   #2790
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Kettle Etiquette (Ketiquette?)

1. If there are others in the room, or possibly expected shortly, don’t just boil enough for your own cuppa.
2. Don’t go off at a forward planner guest/visitor for “putting too much water in”.

(Further additions welcome.)

I swear, there are some people for whom no matter what size the kettle, they cannot abide by filling it up a decent amount. May their lives be blighted by failed elements and cold drinks on a winter’s day.
Heard on Radio the other day it is common practice to boil underware in Hotel kettles.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post