Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-12-2017, 06:22 PM   #61
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Crypto $$$

Quote:
So we are currently in the mania phase?
I think so and towards the delusion end.
Old 19-12-2017, 10:25 PM   #62
Trump
bitch lasagne

This from the head of fintech at the Monetary Authrority of Singapore:

http://www.theage.com.au/business/ma...19-h07a89.html

The central banking cartel will do anything to have their debt-based fiat at the top of the financial food chain.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs

Last edited by Trump; 19-12-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #63
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
This from the head of fintech at the Monetary Authrority of Singapore:

http://www.theage.com.au/business/ma...19-h07a89.html

The central banking cartel will do anything to have their debt-based fiat at the top of the financial food chain.

Last edited by FairmontGS; 20-12-2017 at 08:17 AM.
FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #64
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
I didn't realise it was open mic night

3 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #65
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

only a banker would want a debt based fiat, no one here would.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #66
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine View Post
only a banker would want a debt based fiat, no one here would.
Bingo, give this man a cigar!

This user likes this post:
Old 20-12-2017, 10:36 PM   #67
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you have to pay tax on crypto earnings like you would on earnings from ASX?
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2017, 10:45 PM   #68
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

the ATO website has guidance on it. best to speak to an accountant though.

2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2017, 10:48 PM   #69
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine View Post
the ATO website has guidance on it. best to speak to an accountant though.
And if your accountant starts drooling when you mention crypto currencies, find a new accountant

Old 20-12-2017, 11:49 PM   #70
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42425857

Quote:
Bitcoin Cash deals frozen as insider trading is probed

One of the US's leading crypto-currency exchanges is carrying out an insider trading investigation. Coinbase fears its own workers may have exploited its move into Bitcoin Cash - a spin-off of the original Bitcoin. The San Francisco-based firm announced the move after Bitcoin Cash's price jumped. Coinbase began letting its users buy, sell, send and receive Bitcoin Cash on Tuesday in a surprise decision but has temporarily suspended trade. The company's chief executive intervened after several market watchers posted allegations of illegal activity on social media sites.

Brian Armstrong responded that he had repeatedly warned his staff not to disclose its launch plans to family or friends or to trade in the digital asset themselves.

"It appears the price of Bitcoin Cash on other exchanges increased in the hours before our announcement," he wrote on the news site Medium. "If we find evidence of any employee or contractor violating our policies  -  directly or indirectly  - I will not hesitate to terminate the employee immediately and take appropriate legal action."

Bitcoin Cash - which is no more tangible than Bitcoin itself - came into being in August after several developers became frustrated at lengthening transaction times for the original crypto-currency. Bitcoin Cash addressed this problem by tweaking the underlying technology - the blockchain - to allow bigger chunks of data to be processed at a time.

Although there have been other Bitcoin splits before, this "fork" was unusual in that everyone who owned the original virtual currency was offered a matching sum of Bitcoin Cash. This effectively created money out of nothing. However, many exchanges, including Coinbase, initially refused to support the innovation, casting doubt on its prospects.

Price surge
Claims of insider dealing were not the only hitch that Coinbase experienced when it finally added support for the new asset. Trade of Bitcoin Cash was frozen just four minutes after it began on the firm's Global Digital Asset Exchange (Gdax) and existing orders were cancelled. The move seems to have been a reaction to an apparent price surge in Bitcoin Cash on the platform beyond its already elevated level elsewhere. When Coinbase launched Bitcoin Cash at 17:20 PST (01:20 BST) it was valued at about $3,500 (£2,612) per coin. At the time it suspended it, the company was quoting a price of about $8,500. It remains unclear whether or not this was a software glitch or if deals were really being made at this level. Coinbase has yet to give a full explanation but has said that it intends to reopen Bitcoin Cash order books later on Wednesday.

Bitcoin Cash is currently the world's third biggest crypto-currency with a total market capitalisation of about $59bn, according to Coinmarketcap. That compares with there being $77bn worth of Ethereum and $282bn worth of the original Bitcoin.
Old 21-12-2017, 10:12 AM   #71
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

It would seem that the predicted drop in value for bitcoin MAY have started. It has in the past bounced back after dips like this but that was always from a lower level. Can only be good for ripple. I feel very sorry for people that have sold their house etc to fund bitcoin purchases. But then again that would never be a smart decision to make.
Old 21-12-2017, 11:31 AM   #72
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

bitcoin has dropped many times before, and has so far without fail risen to new highs.

heck, this drop isn't even all that big (as a % of value), being about 10-15% drop (depending on exchange and fiat you compare to), previous drops have been 50%+.

It'll bounce back, I've no worry about that.

Only the skittish will lose out.

Old 21-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #73
Lunch
Wait, what?

Apparently bitcoins creator very recently cashed out, saying it was too risky, I’m sure he’ll be comfortable
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2017, 12:35 PM   #74
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Crypto sure is a lot different to the stock exchanges if that stuff is common and accepted - can you imagine the meltdown if a stock exchange was to drop 10-15%, let alone 50%?

Do the stock traders also play with crypto these days, or do they think themselves 'above' it all or don't understand it enough to be involved? With some of the major swings it looks like there is potential for big gains (which I would have thought would have attracted them), but then that also means there is potential for massive losses.

I decided to have a half-hearted shot at it, but nothing like the guys right into it in terms of amount invested and day-trading or minute trading. Took the wise advice earlier in this thread to only gamble what I am willing and able to lose...set up an account on BTC Market, grabbed 350 ripple at $1.03 AUD early this week, and will just hang on to it and simply check in monthly throughout next year to see where it is at and if anything has happened.

That's as far as I will ever go - no trading in and out of crypto on regular basis, no buying more of what I have. Only thing I will do from here (also suggested earlier) is, if it were to take off, sell enough to cover what I have invested.

If it turns to crap then all I have done is lost less than what I would spend across a Clipsal weekend...if it stays roughly where it is then I lose very little or lose nothing.
3 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2017, 12:44 PM   #75
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
Crypto sure is a lot different to the stock exchanges if that stuff is common and accepted - can you imagine the meltdown if a stock exchange was to drop 10-15%, let alone 50%?

Do the stock traders also play with crypto these days, or do they think themselves 'above' it all or don't understand it enough to be involved? With some of the major swings it looks like there is potential for big gains (which I would have thought would have attracted them), but then that also means there is potential for massive losses.

I decided to have a half-hearted shot at it, but nothing like the guys right into it in terms of amount invested and day-trading or minute trading. Took the wise advice earlier in this thread to only gamble what I am willing and able to lose...set up an account on BTC Market, grabbed 350 ripple at $1.03 AUD early this week, and will just hang on to it and simply check in monthly throughout next year to see where it is at and if anything has happened.

That's as far as I will ever go - no trading in and out of crypto on regular basis, no buying more of what I have. Only thing I will do from here (also suggested earlier) is, if it were to take off, sell enough to cover what I have invested.

If it turns to crap then all I have done is lost less than what I would spend across a Clipsal weekend...if it stays roughly where it is then I lose very little or lose nothing.
Yes, Bitcoin was just been accepted into the futures market by some Exchanges.
However, the problem with Bitcoin & altcoins is there is no formal control in place unlike share trading where everything is above board and regulated.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2017, 12:44 PM   #76
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

If I ever get approved I will be doing the same.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

XF Falcon S Update EFI - SOLD
EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Now rocking the SZ Territory Titanium Petrol Family Beast
PHATAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #77
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Weird reading about people taking so long to get approved. I entered basic details (email and password) then did a spam-bot thing where I had to pick squares that had vehicles in them.

Passed that, got sent an email to validate. Clicked the link to validate and it took me to a page to enter my personal details (name, date of birth, address, phone) then a further page for further validation. Entered only my SA driver's licence, was formally validated within 10 seconds and account created.

Deposited $400 into BTC Market account using POLi from my Bankwest account, which required entering a code sent to me via SMS...it took about 2-3 minutes for it to hit my BTC Market account.

Then I grabbed some Ripples. All up it took between 10-15 minutes from no account at all to an account with ripples in it.
Old 21-12-2017, 01:19 PM   #78
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

There is a saying that once an investment opportunity such as a new technology goes mainstream and your grandfather understands and adopts it... The gold rush days and high returns are all but over.

It's like those that had the foresight to invest in the early days of Apple and Microsoft shares... 20 years later, those early adopters made a fortune, but much harder to see fast gains today.

Remember this 20 second scene from Forest Gump

Here's the thing with Bitcoin... Most keen investors would like to double their money before jumping ship..... The get rich quick types.
At the current price at circa AUD$21,000.... What are now the chances of it doubling to $42,000?

Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but in comparison to buying an upcoming altcoin like Ripple at only AUD$1 and early days, you are getting in at the ground floor level like backing Apple in the 80's.

There is far greater chance and probability that Ripple will easily double to $2 in the near future.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2017, 01:27 PM   #79
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did some solid research...Ripple's icon looks like my kid's fidget spinners, and it is the only one I can afford given I only ever plan on playing with a few hungy.

Like I said: SOLID research!
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #80
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch View Post
Apparently bitcoins creator very recently cashed out, saying it was too risky, I’m sure he’ll be comfortable
Not the creator of bitcoin - no one know who that is, it was made under a pseudonym.

Bit the creator of a website talking about bitcoins. So hardly a big deal, but people blow it out of proportion.

Quote:
A bit of all three, some trading firms allow it and actively participate, some explicitly ban it, others have no clue.

Old 21-12-2017, 01:57 PM   #81
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go to admit my previous flippant comment re my research was a joke.

Read up a little bit on Ripple and found what is possibly the good (intent/purpose for settlements and transactions, partnerships with AMEX, etc); the rumours (maybe being added to Coinbase, the pending announcement with two big companies one of which could be Amazon); and the possibly bad (their infrastructure could be adopted by financial institutions and used without Ripple's currency).

Then I accepted all that research is stuff I read on the net.

With the amount I am playing with I am not looking to do this for a living, not expecting to retire off it, and not going to hurt if I do my nuts on it...but still read up a bit anyway (enough to learn that what I intend to do is HODL).
Old 21-12-2017, 02:26 PM   #82
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Todays numbers show how volatile crypto's are. Ripple up 12.6% over the last 24 hours and still looks to be running. It will drop back but if I was serious trader I would be selling about now and hoping for a drop to re-invest.
Old 21-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #83
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
With the amount I am playing with I am not looking to do this for a living, not expecting to retire off it, and not going to hurt if I do my nuts on it...but still read up a bit anyway (enough to learn that what I intend to do is HODL).
If you invest say $10 a week ($520 a year) in Tattslotto, Powerball or the Pokies etc

Take that play money you are prepared to gamble and put it into Altcoins instead.

At the end of the year... You might well find you are well infront.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2017, 02:49 PM   #84
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

and you have more of a say in what your investment will do than what the lotto balls, dogs or one armed bandit will do.

2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2017, 02:50 PM   #85
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Ripple was back to $1.01 this morning now smashing $1.24.

So frustrating to watch whilst I wait for a letter.

EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Old 21-12-2017, 02:55 PM   #86
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack View Post
Todays numbers show how volatile crypto's are. Ripple up 12.6% over the last 24 hours and still looks to be running. It will drop back but if I was serious trader I would be selling about now and hoping for a drop to re-invest.
Wow, I know with this stuff that gains can and often do go as fast as they come, but you made me look and DAMN! Got in only 3 days ago at $1.03, currently showing $1.24.

Just approve Phatal already you bastards.
Old 21-12-2017, 02:57 PM   #87
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATAL View Post
Ripple was back to $1.01 this morning now smashing $1.24.

So frustrating to watch whilst I wait for a letter.

Frustrating indeed.
Old 21-12-2017, 03:01 PM   #88
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

The CEO of ripple is making an announcement tomorrow our time. I dont know what it will be but my guess the current run is speculation of something good. When good announcement is made the run will step up possibly.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #89
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Wow, I know with this stuff that gains can and often do go as fast as they come, but you made me look and DAMN! Got in only 3 days ago at $1.03, currently showing $1.24.

Just approve Phatal already you bastards.
I wonder if it is because I used a gmail email account? Maybe it is viewed as dodgy. Might try another account and see what happens. Probably get two letters....

EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Old 21-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #90
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Just signed up using a bigpond email account. Verified instantly....

Now that is out the way. My bank doesn't support POLI!!!

EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
2 users like this post: