Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #61
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: NBN so far, whats your experience?

Found it.

https://telsoc.org/ajtde/2014-03-v2-n1/a26

A good article and a diagram that shows the various technologies although they refer to FTTdp which is the original name for FTtC
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #62
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had it connected Monday, it’s pretty good, 2 devices using YouTube with no buffering and with crystal clear picture.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 14-11-2018, 09:10 PM   #63
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Had it connected Monday, it’s pretty good, 2 devices using YouTube with no buffering and with crystal clear picture.
Is this 4K videos?
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-11-2018, 09:28 AM   #64
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
The Copper distribution network will be "switched off", being ultimately replace completely with Fibre Optics - For many there will still be a couple o'uindred metres of copper between them and the node - and just my 2c - if that copper is ingood nick then it would be good for well over the 100mb that NBN offers.

Is there anyone on a FTN setup with a 100/40 plan that could confirm of deny ??
Will find out soon.

I'm still on ADSL2 and get 19Mbps down 800k up on a 20/1 service ... and I'm 300m from the node (next street).

So my lead-in copper must be fairly good at least.
FTTN is ready ... I just need to make the switch.

Mind you ... was down the shops the other day and did a speed test on my personal and work phones (Optus) .... and the tower was across the park from the shops.

was able to get 300mps down and 88Mbps up via 4G. My 4G reception at home is nowhere near that though unfortunately though. It's better than Telstra though where there is no phone reception at all (half the street is like it ... and this is Sydney metro.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #65
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
Will find out soon.

I'm still on ADSL2 and get 19Mbps down 800k up on a 20/1 service ... and I'm 300m from the node (next street).

So my lead-in copper must be fairly good at least.
FTTN is ready ... I just need to make the switch.

Mind you ... was down the shops the other day and did a speed test on my personal and work phones (Optus) .... and the tower was across the park from the shops.

was able to get 300mps down and 88Mbps up via 4G. My 4G reception at home is nowhere near that though unfortunately though. It's better than Telstra though where there is no phone reception at all (half the street is like it ... and this is Sydney metro.

Looking forward to your feedback.

What do you use to measure speed ?
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2018, 06:35 PM   #66
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Looking forward to your feedback.

What do you use to measure speed ?
Your modem should be able to tell you what your sync speed is.

Something like speedtest.net should tell you what your rough throughput is.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Your sync speed shouldn't be too much different to what your throughput should be. If it is, then your service provider hasn't bought enough capacity to cater for all of their customers on the POI you're connected to.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2018, 08:27 AM   #67
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I just used speedtest.net ... and link to my carrier's server (not any other carrier).

My modem advises sync speed as well ... it's only the basic SAGEMCOM that comes with it.

I rang up the other day and set it up ... apparently needs a new MODEM ... it gets sent out next week. Even though i am FTTN here and still use my existing copper.

I'm only going to the 50Mbps service for now. works out cheaper than ADSL2 as well ... go figure. But I do have a staff discount (which is in use now).

My area is wholesaled through Telstra (even though I am Optus) .... well was Telstra DSL though the area ... depends who owns what now to the Nodes themselves and what the backend capacity really is.

Have been told to expect about 40Mbps during heavy usage periods .... which is still double what I was getting anyway.
Old 19-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #68
minheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
My new house which should start building in Feb is FTTP. But contracts refer to an opticomm connection. Anyone know what the deal is with that?

I see iinet and TPG can provide services, but Telstra don't offer it and for some reason they don't provide any service to my new estate.
Opticomm is a private service not owned by NBN. Your estate developer would have contracted them to provide telecommunication infrastructure for the estate. They only have a limited number of retailer suppliers you can choose to connect with as they are outside NBN and can set their own terms. The one upside with Opticomm is that your Free to Air television comes through the fibre connection so no antenna is required. People seem to have mixed results with speed depending on the estate they are in and what upgrades are needed as they grow.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #69
minheim

I have NBN FTTP with Telstra on a 100/40 plan. I generally get in the mid 90s down and about 38 up. Been very reliable to date (5 months) My previous house was in a Telstra velocity estate and on a 100/5 plan with mid 80s to low 90s down and about 4 up. It was super reliable and also had the advantage of providing FTA and PayTV via the fibre but I was effectively tied to only Telstra as my retailer.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2018, 01:27 PM   #70
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post

Your sync speed shouldn't be too much different to what your throughput should be. If it is, then your service provider hasn't bought enough capacity to cater for all of their customers on the POI you're connected to.

Yeah, Connection speeds mean nothing, all my hardwired devices connect to my network at gigabit, but NBN does not offer that :-P

Speedtest is a good tool, wait for the ads to load before starting the test
2 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2018, 10:59 PM   #71
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post

The big pointer to congestion issues, aka not enough Cvc purchased by rsp, is download drops a lot but upload stays close to normal.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2018, 12:12 PM   #72
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let's have a Speetest wave - for fun ... and because I have never done it before.

http://legacy.speedtest.net/wave/f5d0b98c008f9730#
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #73
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

How do you add a test to it. I have no option to run a test or upload one.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2018, 05:31 PM   #74
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

I'm into week 3 of NBN cable. Was a nightmare migration but that's behind me now and it has cost Telstra big-time in TIO enforceable fines and free gear to me.

Gone from 5 mb on ADSL2 to 50-60 mb but it doesn't feel that fast. I think I'm now getting limited by the performance of the hardware. Laptops are 4th gen i5 and i7.

The modem is a ripper with fail-over 4G kick in within 1 minute. That's a clever idea.

Overall, I'm miles ahead financially.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2018, 05:58 PM   #75
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
How do you add a test to it. I have no option to run a test or upload one.

When I am not logged in there is a blue box at the top right of the result set that says "Join This Speed Wave". I would guess that is what you click - (after logging on, if you have an account then your details would be saved)

If I am already logged on, that same box says "Speed wave test again"

Either way, I click it and it throws to the test screen.

btw: I am using a PC based browser (Firefox)
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2018, 07:27 PM   #76
prydey
Rob

Quote:
When I am not logged in there is a blue box at the top right of the result set that says "Join This Speed Wave". I would guess that is what you click - (after logging on, if you have an account then your details would be saved)

If I am already logged on, that same box says "Speed wave test again"

Either way, I click it and it throws to the test screen.

btw: I am using a PC based browser (Firefox)
When I click on that it errors due to flash or something and redirects to 'new speedtest' page. It didn't link the result back, but my result would be right down the bottom anyway.
Old 20-11-2018, 09:49 PM   #77
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
When I click on that it errors due to flash or something and redirects to 'new speedtest' page. It didn't link the result back, but my result would be right down the bottom anyway.

Yeah, I just poked around - it seems that speedwave is only for "Flash" users on the "Legacy" page.

One result other than me on there
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2018, 09:59 PM   #78
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

If you're using Google Chrome, then click on the Not Secure button next to the web addresss, then click on "site settings". Scroll down to Flash and click the drop down box and hit "allow".

Refresh the webpage and the test should work.

Good luck.
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2018, 10:13 PM   #79
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
If you're using Google Chrome, then click on the Not Secure button next to the web addresss, then click on "site settings". Scroll down to Flash and click the drop down box and hit "allow".

Refresh the webpage and the test should work.

Good luck.
I use Edge but the same thing worked for me. Right click to the left of the web address and allow adobe flash, and then it works.
Old 21-11-2018, 06:47 AM   #80
Trevor 57
is now there

after having a bit of a back read, I will stick by my original observation that the biggest problem is NOT with the NBN its self but the internet providers, they are 2 separate things

People often get them confused
Old 21-11-2018, 09:00 AM   #81
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev View Post
after having a bit of a back read, I will stick by my original observation that the biggest problem is NOT with the NBN its self but the internet providers, they are 2 separate things

You are correct, no dispute Trev, but i did also say the word noob in that first post lol.

Now im on my second gateway from Telstra which is still playing up, Telstra have their NBN team looking at the problem again atm but in my opinion just like Russell said its the supplied gateway from Telstra.

Telstra will probably supply another gateway lol & aound we go again..

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2018, 09:24 AM   #82
DK30RB

Was on ADSL getting about 5Mbps down/ 0.2 up. Was terrible.

Got NBN early in 2017 - FTTN. Node is however in front of my house. Had the tech patch my copper connection directly at the node.

I am on a 100/100 corporate plan. I get a consistent speed of 91Mbps Down/ 91 Mbps up. Very little congestion. We are however in a suburb that is made up of 1 acre blocks so low housing density probably helps.

My modem tells me my Sync speed and its connecting to NBN network at 151Mbps, theoretically if they offer a 150Mbps plan i will sign up.

We can currently stream 3x 4k tv's (Netflix/Foxtel etc) with no lag or loading wait times.

Its sensational.

I run an IT company so its been great for remote access and working from home.

Having said all that, i have seen many NBN horror stories, from bad installs to speeds being slower than ADSL.
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2018, 09:39 AM   #83
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just got a phone call from Optus asking me to replace my old Netgear (Hopeless from a functionality point of view) with a Seagem (Almost as bad, but maybe only 10 year old it its design), the interesting thing she said was that there will be a new netgear next year.

Now there is no Netgear that I would currently use (My Dream is a Draytek - when I get around to it), but anything would be a step up from the first two NBN connection routers that Optus offered
2 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2018, 09:46 AM   #84
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NBN related but slightly off topic, we are using Aussiebroadband wireless well this pops up every month

Aussie Broadband Pty Ltd ABN 29 132 090 192
PO Box 3351
Gippsland Mail Centre VIC 3841

just curious as to why they would be in Morwell... something to do with high unemployment ? I doubt it.
Old 21-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #85
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anybody gone over(or are already with) Telstra & has one of their new Frontier 2 modems.What have they been like etc...I am with IPrimus & have a Huawei G659 modem.Both I Primus & the modem have been rock solid in operation,no complaints.I am looking @ swapping over,but not really sure as yet.Cheers
hackney is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2018, 01:19 PM   #86
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
NBN related but slightly off topic, we are using Aussiebroadband wireless well this pops up every month

Aussie Broadband Pty Ltd ABN 29 132 090 192
PO Box 3351
Gippsland Mail Centre VIC 3841

just curious as to why they would be in Morwell... something to do with high unemployment ? I doubt it.
Or perhaps thats where they originated?
Old 21-11-2018, 08:28 PM   #87
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK30RB View Post
Its sensational.
When the node is right out the front, of course it is.

I'm 1.3km away! Cant wait for 5G
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2018, 03:53 PM   #88
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

NBN backend work was done today.
Was going to plug in the new Sagemcom modem.
decided to connect to the LAN on the old MODEM.

Sync speed 54999/22600

hmmmmm ... that's my new NBN speed.

Go to speedtest and run a test.

47.6Mbps down
18.91 up

And its pegging it down with rain now as well.

Not sure if i am going to use the new MODEM now.
It's synced to the network using all the old settings.
Seeing as it works nicely ... will leave it as is.

Have 5 devices connected to wifi at the moment as well with those speeds.
This just tested now ... and probably a peak time being after school as well.

See how it goes.

EDIT: My son advised there was a brief outage in internet this afternoon. Thought it was due to weather. Must have been them doing the backend work.
Old 30-11-2018, 07:14 AM   #89
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev View Post

Just out of curiosity, why is the problem with the ISP?
I only get 26Mb/s on my 50Mb/s plan. That's all that the stupid copper I've got will allow. It's nothing to do with the ISP, but the crap that's laying in the ground.

We're moving in a couple of weeks to a new rental. Hopefully I get better speeds there.

On a side note, why do people still use Telstra as an ISP? They're customer service is absolute rubbish as is their value for money. I've been with Internode myself and they service for the last 15+ years that I've been with them has been great.
3 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #90
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's one for the brains trust?

I'm currently on ADSL2 and the NBN is available in front of my house.
My ISP (Spintel) is sending me a new NBN? modem.

NETCOMM NF10WV (datasheet)
Fully featured VDSL2 / ADSL2+ Gateway
4 x 10/100 Ethernet LAN ports
1 x 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet WAN port
Wireless N300 Access Point for multiple high speed WiFi connections
$49.00 + shipping

My question is, will I need to buy new telephones (2) to replace the existing old white ones I have at the moment?
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post