Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default older vs younger generation

Hi

what else is reason why younger generation believe that you have to have the newest cars with a warranty to have a decent one that’ll go for years and change them when warranty is over or have cars that are no older than 10 years and that the older generation believe that there’s nothing wrong with having a decent 10-15 year old one and driving them till the engine goes or cars rundown.

because these days it seems a lot of younger people would rather have a new car or a car no older than 5 years with a warranty then change them when it runs out and get another new one and start again each time and all we can put it down to is one or more of following.

1. Want the modern features and each new model improves.

2. They just don’t want to be bothered getting the annoying stuff fixed all time which will start to happen between 5-10 years.

3. status and keeping up with others.

4. Don’t have the time or patience to continually have things fixed even though it’s usually financially cheaper to do so.

and the older or middle generation usually buy a decent slightly older car that will be good enough to go from a-b and probably don’t care what it is as long as it’s good and does what they need and maybe add some aftermarket modern tech if they want to and all we can put it down to is one or more of following.

1. They don’t like finance and will only do so if they really have to.

2. They don’t care about what it is and what tech it has as long as it’s decent and goes from a-b.

3. They’re just happy to have second best that is still decent for ages and ages while it may not have all the modern tech.

4. They were probably taught that you don’t need the latest model for a decent one and that they’re plenty of good used cars.

5. They probably had more time and patience to deal with the continuing annoying things and will drive them till they completely die or is completely worn out and we’re taught to put up with it and hang on till then or a bit longer.

would all that sound right

thanks
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2019, 08:53 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: older vs younger generation

The oldies have a house, missus and kids to keep a roof over their heads and keep fed, so thats the reason they're rocking older cars

The ones to watch are the oldies with no missus or kids and keep an eye on the vehicles they're rocking, they're not V6 VE Commodores
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2019, 09:56 PM   #3
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

I think it's even simpler than that. it's a new generation throwaway culture. The youngies get their phones on a plan and flip them every 12 months to get the newest. They don't really care about their cars except as a means of getting from a-b and they treat them like their phones. Lease, and flip every 12 months. You never end up actually owning one but - so what? They don't have any value after 5 years anyway.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this. Just a different way of viewing things.
simon varley is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2019, 10:44 PM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Maybe the younger generation, with just cause, believe that Climate Change is going to change the world and destroy civilisation as we know it, so they think they better get what they can while it's still available.
Old 13-06-2019, 11:25 PM   #5
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any other reasons ????

Think the young just want modern tech or can’t be bothered with annoying things and the older are thriftier and think why but new when you can buy a backup camera for $100 on ebay or daytime running lamps for $200 from auto one or a touch screen stereo from jbhifi for $400-$500 and pay to have them put in or do it yourself

What else is reason why young have new cars and change them the minute they start causing hassle or they have to start fixing stuff and the oldies don’t mind not having a upto date car as long as it goes a-b
Old 14-06-2019, 08:27 AM   #6
LTDHO
The one and only

Kids are bought up living a disposable life. Where anything new can be replaced with the next new update. It has to be the newest or not worth having.

My newest car is a 1996, she isn't the best by any means but I own her and can put my income to other areas of my life.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2019, 09:39 AM   #7
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Back in my day

Doncha hate that?

We didn't credit cards.

We had to save our money first before we bought stuff.

Everyone is in debt today.
Cav is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2019, 09:49 AM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav
This is a crisis which is snowballing; heavy debt among those least able to service or resolve it, concerns me greatly.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #9
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even a ba ghia isn’t the latest model but it runs well and most still do and there’s plenty aftermarket options to add
This user likes this post:
Old 14-06-2019, 03:20 PM   #10
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any other reasons??
Old 14-06-2019, 03:25 PM   #11
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nope, that's about it.
Old 14-06-2019, 03:39 PM   #12
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Last edited by marty351; 14-06-2019 at 03:44 PM.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2019, 03:52 PM   #13
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Nope, that's about it.
sync their mobiles, my sons girlfriend hates his nice Accord Euro for it doesn't have a jack so as she can play her spotify music lol..I'm serious.
Kids don't care about ol model cars anymore.
Banks approve small loans far easier than back in the day.
They are happy being in debt, stupidity but I'm older gen.
New small cars are cheap to them today as well.
What they consider is cheap we see it expensive, or more so lack of value, they do not see past the trees.
We have spoilt them, thats another issue.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2019, 05:04 PM   #14
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

daughter's boyfriend, barely an adult, got a loan on an 86, still owes 15k, now has decided to change to a 4wd and traded in the car and now owes 25k. Living beyond one's means as a very young adult is beyond me. My first car was 5k. Theres more to life than being a slave to a vehicle, or any material possession other than property imo
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2019, 05:17 PM   #15
94_ef

How about no one is teaching them care and maintenance of items?
1994 Ford ED Falcon GLi wagon. Discovered my love for Ford 4L.
94_ef is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2019, 06:12 PM   #16
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Because it seems that many not everyone under 25 or so think that you have to have a new or newer car and would rather just buy another new or newer car when any major maintenance needs doing on what they got.

they usually buy a new/newer car then drive it till warranty is over or any major maintenance is needed and would rather spend more on getting a newer car or financing one than paying for major maintenance even though it’s usually cheaper and car they got could last ages engine could go for ages and ages.

whats wrong with a decent older car or a model or 2 before the current model and adding a aftermarket stereo and touch screen and reversing camera and parking sensors and buying a heads up display that plugs into obd2 socket and front camera and daytime running lights you can buy aftermarket ones to fit any car
Old 14-06-2019, 06:37 PM   #17
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94_ef View Post
How about no one is teaching them care and maintenance of items?
I bought my daughter her first car at 16 she is now 18 it is a 1989 mazda 323 for $250 , it needed a little bit of work but was running and resisted , I spent about $2500 on it to replace all shocks , lowered springs , radiator water pump timing belt , clutch , tires and a drivers door.
The only thing that actually need replacing was the clutch and door , the rest was for our piece of mind.
She replaced it all with my guidance bar the clutch as she was too busy at TAFE when I was at home on my week off.
No one is allowed to do any mechanical or cosmetic work to it unless she is there doing it too , she services it by herself I'm not allowed to.
She loves the little beast and is happy to flog it for a few more years.

So not ALL the younger generation are into the disposable new new new everything , but I must concede that most are.

Proud dad

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2019, 06:57 PM   #18
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
The oldies have a house, missus and kids to keep a roof over their heads and keep fed, so thats the reason they're rocking older cars

The ones to watch are the oldies with no missus or kids and keep an eye on the vehicles they're rocking, they're not V6 VT Commodores
leave my saggy rooflining out of this
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2019, 07:40 PM   #19
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Back in my day

Doncha hate that?
Cav's 1st car complete with saggy headlining:

Though he's probably younger than I.
Old 14-06-2019, 07:55 PM   #20
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post
Kids are bought up living a disposable life. Where anything new can be replaced with the next new update. It has to be the newest or not worth having.
Don't just blame the young ones for this. Who designed all this garbage that breaks after 2 years and cannot be realistic fixed and has to be replaced instead?
It isn't Gen Z or even most of Gen Y who designed this crap.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2019, 08:46 PM   #21
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Don't just blame the young ones for this. Who designed all this garbage that breaks after 2 years and cannot be realistic fixed and has to be replaced instead?
Chinese engineers?
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2019, 09:17 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Back in my day

Doncha hate that?

We didn't credit cards.

We had to save our money first before we bought stuff.

Except me - all my cars paid spondoolies up front, cheapy prepaid phones

I've bought 2x new cars with cash I saved up from working (and doing dodgy stuff lol)

Mind you the NAB was trying to throw credit cards at me when I was on $7.05/hour as a first year apprentice.

Who is worse, the kid to falls for credit hook line and sucker or the bank dangling the carrot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
daughter's boyfriend, barely an adult, got a loan on an 86, still owes 15k, now has decided to change to a 4wd and traded in the car and now owes 25k. Living beyond one's means as a very young adult is beyond me. My first car was 5k. Theres more to life than being a slave to a vehicle, or any material possession other than property imo
My first car was $18K - paid for it in cash.

My second car was $26K - paid for it in cash

I'm on car 11, all paid for with cash - I was rocking a new car 6 months before I even had a drivers license

Started working at 15, had a new car by 17

The jokes on me though probably could have had a house and someone renting it by now if I didn't have 11 cars in 10 years

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 14-06-2019 at 09:27 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2019, 09:29 PM   #23
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
The problem with making stuff that lasts much longer past warranty is its not a good business decision, kinda like our washing machine at home its the same vintage as me and I've had to fix it only once, so the company had one sale from this family in 27 years.

Its the same thing with phones, I used to buy top of the line phones at circa $1000 a pop outright, then they only lasted 12-18 months before the battery life was non existent or they started playing up big time, so now I just buy $400 cheapies, prepaid burner phones, enough balls to be nice to use, do the basics when they crap out by the next $400 cheapies and we're good to go.

European cars are junk too, subject them to being outside for 10 years and the paint is all oxidised, on my Focus I haven't even stacked it and the rear tail lights and rear quarter windows and both windscreens don't seal properly anymore.

The paint is halal on our WS Fiesta, the Ford badge has lost its clear coat and half its blue paint, the window switches have half warped out of their holes in the trim on the doors and some of the plastic covers covering up the sides of the dash have fallen off and its got 86,000km on it.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2019, 09:34 PM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Reliability these days is light years ahead of what it was 20-30 years ago.

What has changed is that back then you could fix most of it yourself without the aid of scanners, codes, computers and a masters in electronics.
Old 14-06-2019, 09:36 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Reliability these days is light years ahead of what it was 20-30 years ago.

What has changed is that back then you could fix most of it yourself without the aid of scanners, codes, computers and a masters in electronics.
1990 and turn of the millenium EFI cars are where its at, very basic, if it doesn't start its just basic stuff like no CKP/CMP, its immobilised or the ECU is halal, I've got the mental capacity of a pet rock, if I can understand this than anyone can
Old 14-06-2019, 10:11 PM   #26
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
The problem with making stuff that lasts much longer past warranty is its not a good business decision, kinda like our washing machine at home its the same vintage as me and I've had to fix it only once, so the company had one sale from this family in 27 years.
I agree it's not a good business decision, but with the way the world is these days with saving the environment, I can't see how replacing every product you own every 5 years is good for the planet. Sure a lot is recycled, but I bet a lot of recyclable stuff ends up in landfill too.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2019, 10:47 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I agree it's not a good business decision, but with the way the world is these days with saving the environment, I can't see how replacing every product you own every 5 years is good for the planet. Sure a lot is recycled, but I bet a lot of recyclable stuff ends up in landfill too.
The whole 'saving the environment' thing is just inner city lefty crapola, they don't actually care about doing anything to save the environment they just want to guilt trip people and act superior because they bring their plastic keepcup to the cafe so they don't use a paper cup, or paper/stainless steel straws instead of plastic.

They all 'recycle' too:

https://www.news.com.au/technology/e...15ea57ffc64444

Look! I'm doing my bit for the ENVIRONMENT!

While I live in a concrete monster of a building in my concrete jungle of an overcrowded city, take the train to work that runs on power generated by brown coal, but you're not doing enough for the ENVIRONMENT! Look at my PLASTIC keepcup!

Someone who runs their car on E85 is doing 10000x more for the environment than these inner city flogs
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2019, 11:15 PM   #28
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going against the grain here, but maybe we just work long hard hours and feel like we deserve something nice? And maybe instead of draining all our cash to buy the new car it makes more sense to leave that cash for a safety net other hobbies and expenses and instead take the almost unnoticeable repayments to have the latest and greatest? You can drive your old pos all you like, I personally feel like slumping into my nice new ranger after a long hard day makes it all worth it
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2019, 08:46 AM   #29
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Jeeesuus, with all this crap, floating around, I'm wiff Cav, my first car cost me 70pounds. Petrol was one & tuppence a gallon.
My second car will remain nameless, cause Fiat.
My 3rd car cost me $250, an HR Ute.
Always fixed my own cars, built my own house (1990). My first home was built in 1894 and I put in my own power, a two pot Lister diesel running a Samford alternator.
Me TV used to pulse in time with the genset, so we wrapped a bit of old copper fly wire around the alternator and that fixed it.
Built me own fences , shod me own nags & serviced me own tractors and all the bits you dragged around the paddocks. Kept everything running myself. Butchered me own meat, grew me own veggies, too.

Can't believe the young, can't do anything themselves. Generally they are just spending machines.
Good onyer Cav, I'm with you.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.

Last edited by Burnout; 15-06-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2019, 09:17 AM   #30
Dchil
Starter Motor

Young people aren't car people for the most part. There is a minority of enthusiasts out there but what you are looking at is the last in a long line of rev heads when you see someone young running around in a Nissan skyline or Toyota supra.

Most people just see vehicles as appliances, and not many people want to buy a used washing machine. This includes the older generation.
Dchil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post