Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-11-2006, 01:43 AM   #1
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Default Speed Limits Tomorrow....NT Speed Limits

We wil find out tomorrow if the NT is getting speed limits on the open highways. I think that the huge public anger directed at Clare Martin may have made SOME difference. But I think that Chairman Martin is riding a huge swell off her own ego.

I will post the results here tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Old 02-11-2006, 02:02 AM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I have a holiday planned in NT leaving on the 10th, if they bring them in before I am supposed to return on the 26th then I will cancel and spend my money somewhere else.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im always interested in new laws designed to reap money and nothing else,as you can bet the NT Police force,will be booking thousands very quickly as its a state where you will see a police car in towns at least every 5 minutes. and you dont have to go far along the Stuart HWY before seeing one either.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 10:56 AM   #4
rodderz

Just as a side note, that Jules Lund bloke was on Getaway last week driving a new beema on the Autobahn. He was travelling at 180-200km/hr and mentioned that at that speed, your attention is focussed on nothing but the driving and the road ahead.

Those sort of speeds are way to high for everywhere here, but it's a good point, travelling for 4-5 hrs on a straight stretch of road at 100km/hr will soon see the driver getting dreary
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 11:07 AM   #5
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

Agreed maybe a more realistic speed limit to shut off the idiots in their exotics around
speed limit of 180 would be sensible

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 11:33 AM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem with setting a speed limit of for example 150 or 180 or whatever is that it implies that this is a safe speed and everyone should be doing it.

Have the (//) sign states "go as fast as you think is safe and suitable for YOU on THIS journey" that is, "you have a licence and should be able to determine how to drive safely and efficiently".

This, of course, has two problems:

1) Some people are idiots
2) The government has no CONTROL and they like CONTROL.

I am probably as bad as most. The first time a drove a "performance" vehicle, my GT-P, in NT I got it up to 254 for about 10 minutes on the Barkly out on the steppes where you cab see in ALL directions for over 10km.
Having done that I spent the subsequent 3000-4000km at between 150 and 200 depending on conditions.
I have, over the years, driven other vehicles at "high speed" and remember the first time in a AVIS rentacommy trying to get to 200 just so I could say I had. It was scarey and the millesecond the speedo said 200 I backed off to 140 because ot felt floaty and barely in control.

If there is a limit imposed it will HAVE to be 110 because if not then there will be pressure on the other states to match whatever and the evil empire don't like pressure.

As an aside Outbackjack, it does appeal to my warped sense of humour that a true believer is the one leading the campaign here against Comrade Claire. Remember, maintain the rage.........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 11:42 AM   #7
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

I totally agree Rodderz. When I am travelling at 100, I tend to relax. Whereas if I was travelling at 140, I was on the ball, always alert, and ready to react.

Cheers

Darran
Old 02-11-2006, 11:44 AM   #8
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The problem with setting a speed limit of for example 150 or 180 or whatever is that it implies that this is a safe speed and everyone should be doing it.

Have the (//) sign states "go as fast as you think is safe and suitable for YOU on THIS journey" that is, "you have a licence and should be able to determine how to drive safely and efficiently".
Great point. Setting an arbitrary limit does kind of put an expectation onthe drivers hey.

OBJ - how does the NT government work? It's a bit different to a state is it not? The commonwealth has more of a say in the going ons up there?
Old 02-11-2006, 04:59 PM   #9
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Default (//) is gone!!!!

She did it. Chairman Martin will be responsible for fatigue and wildlife strike deaths. She will have blood on her hands. Checking around town, people are furiuos about this. There is every chance that she has commited political suicide...

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...-17001,00.html

To all those interested in exploring the Territory, you may as well go somewhere else. Too much of your valuable holiday time will be wasted on the highways, even at 130!!!
Old 02-11-2006, 05:04 PM   #10
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

Unbelievable! A sad day indeed.

Cheers

Darran
Old 02-11-2006, 05:05 PM   #11
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your joking!

Thank god our government is not in charge of Amsterdam aye?
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 05:05 PM   #12
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz

Those sort of speeds are way to high for everywhere here, but it's a good point, travelling for 4-5 hrs on a straight stretch of road at 100km/hr will soon see the driver getting dreary
agree. It bores me itless on teh pacific hwy north of Newcastle to the border now. i drove that road regualrly before much of the new work was done. I'd agree there were black spots that needed attention but mostly it was fine with me. At least I could focus and that's somethign I definitely need to do. Focus too much on these new roads and up will go the speed.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 05:13 PM   #13
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

ARRRGGGHHHH - damn politics - we (the public) run this country - WTF don't we have it our own way....

Quote:
Ms Martin said the Territory had Australia's highest road toll per capita, with one person dying on territory roads every week and nine people injured.
This comment is statistical BS. 1 - It makes no point quoting the per captia rates - as it is the overall number of deaths - not comparing them to a poulation. 2 - How many of these 1 deaths per week occur in a no speed limit zone, or is it all in major town/city areas? 3 - Is the one deaths per week speed related?

This is the most pointless of road thingys introduced.... IMHO

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 05:15 PM   #14
4.9 EF Futura

OK, devil's advocate (always has to be me doesnt it, lol).

But it seems - on face value (its not a topic ive kept abreast of to be honest) - that they have some pretty good information to support the decision.

http://www.saferroaduse.nt.gov.au/Ro...ull_Report.pdf

You guys have the worst road toll per capita than anyone esle in Australia and indeed - one of the worst in the world. 3 times the national average. 1 in 400 territorians are killed or seriously injured.

That's pretty scary.

They have the data to prove that - in other parts of australia, reducing the limit from 110 to 100 results in a 20ish % reduction in fatal crashes. Indeed, there is a large body of evidence from around the world that shows similar statistics. That's pretty strong evidence in my opinion, and stands to reason that reducing the limit from // would have a significant impact.

38% of speed-related fatal accidents in the NT occured on the open roads and 54% of these were single vehicle. Indeed, more than half of these fatalaties were "run off road" or "overturns" which has a strong link to loss of control.

Is there evidence to support the assumption that fatigue and wildlife deaths will increase dramatically as a result of the reduced limits?

I know the likely response is "i live here, i know what it's like" etc etc - and i appreciate those observations. But you gotta admit, there's a LOT of STRONG evidence that doesnt agree.

Like i said... just playing devil's advocate here.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:17 PM   #15
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser

This comment is statistical BS. 1 - It makes no point quoting the per captia rates - as it is the overall number of deaths - not comparing them to a poulation. 2 - How many of these 1 deaths per week occur in a no speed limit zone, or is it all in major town/city areas? 3 - Is the one deaths per week speed related?
I disagree. Looking at absolute numbers is useless. It has to be relative to the population.

You may consider it statistical BS - but what are you bringing to the table? Opinion and heresay. I know which one makes a more convincing argument.

All the data you seek is contained in the NT road safety taskforce i linked to above. But i guess it's easier to start throwing opinion around as opposed to actually reviewing the factS?
Old 02-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #16
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Any info as to when it will be introduced?

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 05:19 PM   #17
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

This will now just be a memory.

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...gAnch=imgAnch2

Even at 160, it is hard to see how people in well maintained cars are driving dangerously. Sorry about the sound. It was a cheap little camera that couldn't keep up with the scenery refresh at 160.

Very sad day. Our only hope now is to elect the CLP. They have promised that if elected, they will re-introduce the (//) highways, with limits on known black spots.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:20 PM   #18
micksta

as i dont live in the NT .. i'd just like to know.

what speeds do you guys in the NT travel at ??
micksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 05:24 PM   #19
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
After moving back to Vic from WA, it's a long trip at 110KM/h, and i would say quite dangerous as it's boring as hell.

Not much to see out there...
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 05:29 PM   #20
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
I disagree. Looking at absolute numbers is useless. It has to be relative to the population.

You may consider it statistical BS - but what are you bringing to the table? Opinion and heresay. I know which one makes a more convincing argument.

All the data you seek is contained in the NT road safety taskforce i linked to above. But i guess it's easier to start throwing opinion around as opposed to actually reviewing the factS?
Not true, the report is sh1te.

It is people from down south that have helped introduce these new laws. These people, like the majority of people reading this, have never travelled on our roads. I have scoured through the report and it is IMPOSSIBLE to see how many deaths on the open limit roads where causee by speed. The task force just assumed that because the accident happened where a (//) was in play, it must have been caused by speed.
The people that have driven out here, will agree, the NT is DIFFERENT. You cannot apply Southern and Eastern laws and values. A big portion of the people living out here came for that reason, me included.

What the report does not show either, is kilometers travelled per year per person on country roads. We cover much higher distances out here. Another reason the stats in the report are flawed.

It is a very naive little vegemite that believes the stats produced by a government with a barrow to push are a true reflection of the truth.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:33 PM   #21
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by micksta
as i dont live in the NT .. i'd just like to know.

what speeds do you guys in the NT travel at ??
On roads that I am familiar with, 160. Roads that I havent been on for a while I travel at 140. In the 4 wheeler I travel at a max of 120.

I have freinds that set the cruise control on 200. But these people are very experinced drivers and rarely travel with kids. Most people that travel with their kids dont go over 140 to 150.

160 out here is not fast. Check my photobucket link above, cheers.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:36 PM   #22
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

I was much the same as outbackjack. Between 140-160 most times.

Cheers
Old 02-11-2006, 05:44 PM   #23
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Not true, the report is sh1te.

It is people from down south that have helped introduce these new laws. These people, like the majority of people reading this, have never travelled on our roads. I have scoured through the report and it is IMPOSSIBLE to see how many deaths on the open limit roads where causee by speed. The task force just assumed that because the accident happened where a (//) was in play, it must have been caused by speed.
The people that have driven out here, will agree, the NT is DIFFERENT. You cannot apply Southern and Eastern laws and values. A big portion of the people living out here came for that reason, me included.

What the report does not show either, is kilometers travelled per year per person on country roads. We cover much higher distances out here. Another reason the stats in the report are flawed.

It is a very naive little vegemite that believes the stats produced by a government with a barrow to push are a true reflection of the truth.
Haha, well i'll admit that i brought the report into it as i had a sneaking suspicion that you may have given it a bit more than a "once over".

Im certainly not questioning the attitudes etc that are unique to the NT. As you rightly point out, ive never been and dont understand "how things work" up there.

It's obviously something you're passionate about and something you know a lot about. My only advice would be, as you continue to advocate against these measures, to perhaps be less emotive in your statements.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:53 PM   #24
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Haha, well i'll admit that i brought the report into it as i had a sneaking suspicion that you may have given it a bit more than a "once over".

Im certainly not questioning the attitudes etc that are unique to the NT. As you rightly point out, ive never been and dont understand "how things work" up there.

It's obviously something you're passionate about and something you know a lot about. My only advice would be, as you continue to advocate against these measures, to perhaps be less emotive in your statements.
Hey Mr 4.9, the self confessed right winger........ I joined the CLP last week. It is not just because of the speed limits, but that was the last straw, it is because of the slum that Alice Springs has become, purely due to ALP policies. You see, the ALP has not won a seat down here in years. So now we just get ignored, no votes for the ALP down here. Darwin gets multi million dollar sea side resorts and it take us 5 years to get the local pool heated......

This is off topic, but I wanted to show you that even us lefties are quite capable of independant thought...... BTW, what wrong with being emotive about some thing that you are passionate about, I didnt insult any body did I???

Cheer all.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:57 PM   #25
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

Quote:
Hey Mr 4.9, the self confessed right winger........ I joined the CLP last week. It is not just because of the speed limits, but that was the last straw, it is because of the slum that Alice Springs has become, purely due to ALP policies. You see, the ALP has not won a seat down here in years. So now we just get ignored, no votes for the ALP down here. Darwin gets multi million dollar sea side resorts and it take us 5 years to get the local pool heated......
It's the same in Katherine. They're also a member of the "Ignore this joint" list due to the fact that the member there (Fay Miller) is also CLP.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:58 PM   #26
Danny
GT4.

Clare Martin
Undercuts
Northern
Territory
Speed limit.

Thanks to that Wh0re, I'll never have a chance to legally go fast for free, Moto Magazines will no longer include excellent stories on how they fanged the latest FPV or Porky Turbo in the NT.

No more cannonball run. What a goonbag egomanaiacal moll. WHo the hell is she. Im fuming, and the most I ever did in the NT was take a Nissan Patrol diesel to its 165km/h V-Max. Spewing.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 06:06 PM   #27
StookEB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_R
the pacific hwy north of Newcastle to the border now. i drove that road regualrly before much of the new work was done. I'd agree there were black spots that needed attention but mostly it was fine with me. At least I could focus and that's somethign I definitely need to do. Focus too much on these new roads and up will go the speed.
There are still some spots on that part of the highway (a little bit further north) where people seem to crash, no idea how,
but yes that bit of road puts me to sleep.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:07 PM   #28
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:

This is off topic, but I wanted to show you that even us lefties are quite capable of independant thought...... BTW, what wrong with being emotive about some thing that you are passionate about, I didnt insult any body did I???

Cheer all.
Geez, if we're not careful mate we might actually find ourselves standing on common ground! lol.

Certainly no offence taken and nothing wrong with being emotive about something you're keen on....

Unless you're trying to sell your view to others.

This is when emotive statements can be detrimental to your cause (EDIT: See Danny's post above lol). OBJ your views can easily be moulded into satements of logic and reason, of which people are generally more acceptive.

Just look at the way people like me gulp down statistical reasoning I'd eat the stuff from a trough if i could. Lol.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #29
Scott

This really ****es me off. My work has just started to need me in NT once or twice a month and I was more than happy to because I wanted to cover some serious distance and take in the country side. I can tell you now that my time in the Territory will be as little as possible from here on in. I have been working on establishing more southern businesses in NT in anticipation of the resources boom finally getting more traction there but I'll be honest, if I don't want to be there, my clients won't take long to wonder why I don't talk the place up anymore.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 06:20 PM   #30
StookEB

How do your cars handle the heat, do you use aftermarket parts or stock?
What are the P-plater laws, is there a speed limit for them?