Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-04-2023, 11:23 PM   #1
John 13

Default Prepaid Mobile Phone plans.

Just found out that our lifelong comms provider ‘Telstra’ is scrapping their economical prepaid plans, eg. $30.00 for 6 mths with heaps of talk time for the casual user. From July the prices are going up X10. I have no use for an internet/data plan component only want a long period prepaid plan (eg. 6 mths) with say 1 hour talk to any Australian number. Help ?
John 13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2023, 09:15 AM   #2
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Prepaid Mobile Phone plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 13 View Post
Just found out that our lifelong comms provider ‘Telstra’ is scrapping their economical prepaid plans, eg. $30.00 for 6 mths with heaps of talk time for the casual user. From July the prices are going up X10. I have no use for an internet/data plan component only want a long period prepaid plan (eg. 6 mths) with say 1 hour talk to any Australian number. Help ?
Not sure where your data is coming from because I got an email from Telstra yesterday which indicated no change for the $70 prepaid plan I use that lasts for 12 months with 200 minutes of talk time. The $30 plan shows an increase of $5 from $30 to $35 but the talk time increases from 80 minutes to 95 minutes. ie a price increase of 17 percent for a talk time increase of 19 percent. Texts and data allowance increase by similar percentages.

So where did the 10X figure come from?

I'm no fan of Telstra and I am thinking about moving to Aldi Mobile mainly because they allow a roll over of unused credit providing you recharge prior to your end date. Data rollover plans are sometimes advertised in https://www.catalogueau.com/aldi/, too. They have plans that require quite small charges that last for 12 months and they use Telstra as their carrier. I'm a bit irritated that Telstra no longer allow unused credit rollover and that is the reason for my possible move.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-04-2023, 09:21 AM   #3
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I use a 365 day Optus pre paid $130, has some added Gb data included but never use it as there is no 4G in half the towns, just like Telstra, Vodaphone and most carriers in the country.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-04-2023, 11:08 AM   #4
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD View Post
Not sure where your data is coming from because I got an email from Telstra yesterday which indicated no change for the $70 prepaid plan I use that lasts for 12 months with 200 minutes of talk time. The $30 plan shows an increase of $5 from $30 to $35 but the talk time increases from 80 minutes to 95 minutes. ie a price increase of 17 percent for a talk time increase of 19 percent. Texts and data allowance increase by similar percentages.

So where did the 10X figure come from?

I'm no fan of Telstra and I am thinking about moving to Aldi Mobile mainly because they allow a roll over of unused credit providing you recharge prior to your end date. They have plans that require quite small charges that last for 12 months and they use Telstra as their carrier. I'm a bit irritated that Telstra no longer allow unused credit rollover and that is the reason for my possible move.

Cheers
Be mindful if you go to Aldi you will not get 100% coverage like Telstra gives you with their network. I'm still deciding to change over to Aldi since I do a bit of travelling.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2023, 12:59 PM   #5
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I use a 365 day Optus pre paid $130, has some added Gb data included but never use it as there is no 4G in half the towns, just like Telstra, Vodaphone and most carriers in the country.
That sounds like the plan Dad and I use, and have used for the past 3 years. Best value plan for the casual user in Australia I believe.

The SIM card is only available online direct from Optus, but its $150 for 365 unlimited talk, text and mms in Australia and 120Gb of data. Biggest benefit is it comes with VoLTE and Wifi Calling, so if you're in a bad reception area and you have a recent model phone it will makes calls over data or the wifi your connected to.

So essentially 10Gb a month with unlimited everything for $12.50 per month.

When it comes to renewal time you are supposed to renew at the full price of $180 but we buy another $150 prepaid sim, have it mailed to us and get Optus to do a SIM replacement. At the same time we carry over 50Gb of data in addition to the new 100 or 120 we get.

I think there are companies like Kogan and Aldi who do slightly cheaper yearly plans, but the last I checked they didn't do VoLTE or Wifi calling yet. Some also don't do full MMS service either, they might only do text and picture MMS but not video. Old hat, but still important to some.

Coles also did a cheap yearly plan we used for a couple of years that was good value. Its $100 a year now for their basic one, unlimited talk and text with 60Gb. Uses the Optus network. It was a bit of a pig to setup and activate, but once we did it was faultless. Coles Catalogue occasionally has Coles Mobile deals but many doubt the affordability.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-04-2023, 02:15 PM   #6
marty351
Shenanigans..............

I'm on dodo $30/month no contract, includes 40Gb and unlimited talk time/sms. I think it has volte aswell- shows on top of screen.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2023, 10:04 PM   #7
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Aldi pay as you go, prepaid last for one year; it is on Telstra's 3G/4G network. Work for us when using it mainly for voice calls and not much data.

Regards,
George V
George V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-04-2023, 10:29 PM   #8
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

I'm on optus $43/month no contract & own sim [was $30/39 ?],
Quote:
includes 40Gb and unlimited talk time/sms
think mines somewhere about there? [been that long & i never go over].
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2023, 09:53 AM   #9
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
I'm on optus $43/month no contract & own sim [was $30/39 ?], think mines somewhere about there? [been that long & i never go over].
Dodo is budget optus, internet can be atrocious in peak hours. But if I do head close to additional charges I've got a Vodafone prepaid- the extra money you pay for only marginally better speeds might consider telstra pp.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2023, 10:44 AM   #10
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by George V View Post
Aldi pay as you go, prepaid last for one year; it is on Telstra's 3G/4G network. Work for us when using it mainly for voice calls and not much data.

Regards,
George V
Aldi and most of the other Telstra resellers are on the Telstra Wholesale Network.

Telstra and Boost are on the Telstra Retail Network.
The Telstra retail network has greater coverage.
EBSXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2023, 11:20 AM   #11
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Dodo is budget optus, internet can be atrocious in peak hours. But if I do head close to additional charges I've got a Vodafone prepaid- the extra money you pay for only marginally better speeds might consider telstra pp.
I'm on Telstra's ElCheapo $30 pm prepaid, which they are now increasing to $35.... so I'll be off to Aldi
Old 23-04-2023, 12:48 PM   #12
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
Aldi and most of the other Telstra resellers are on the Telstra Wholesale Network.

Which is why I'm such a fan of the Optus yearly prepaid for $150. You're on the Optus network proper and not getting some half baked restricted discount MVNO type service which is only a few $$$ cheaper anyways.

We used Coles Mobile for a couple of years, which uses the Optus network, and there was an immediate bump in service quality and speed once we moved to Optus.

The Telstra retail network is fantastic, but for some pricey. If you are a business retail customer their network is even better again. The service provided to business customers is a step above the normal home/personal service.

Last edited by arm79; 23-04-2023 at 01:07 PM.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2023, 01:05 PM   #13
John 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
I'm on Telstra's ElCheapo $30 pm prepaid, which they are now increasing to $35.... so I'll be off to Aldi
A relative has just suggested that ‘Belong’ might be an option.
John 13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2023, 01:44 PM   #14
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I'm on an Optus "plan" month by month.

Every year I ring the retention team and get the same deal when my 12 months runs out.

$30 a month, 50GB data, free calls and text 5 hours overseas calls to selected countries.
Old 23-04-2023, 03:46 PM   #15
prydey
Rob

Quote:

I was on boost but believe it or not one of the camp grounds we frequent has no telstra coverage but does have optus.

So now I'm with optus and my wife stayed with boost so we have both major networks covered.

Both on 12 month pre paid.
Old 23-04-2023, 05:07 PM   #16
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

I’m with belong, $25 pm plan, no lock in contract, unlimited talk and text, 20GB per month that rolls over. I currently have 728GB at my disposal

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2023, 06:22 PM   #17
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
If you are prepared to pay upfront Boost offers $300 for 12 Months includes $260GB data then 240GB on subsequent recharges.

If you don't use much Data they have a $200 for 12 months includes 140GB Data. This plan is changing to $230 for 12 months for $160Gb data.

Boost also uses Telstra retail network as where the other Telstra resellers, Aldi etc use the Telstra wholesale network so it had less coverage.

You need to activate by May 8 prices are changing as I indicated above with the smaller plan.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2023, 08:50 PM   #18
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
If you are prepared to pay upfront Boost offers $300 for 12 Months includes $260GB data then 240GB on subsequent recharges.

If you don't use much Data they have a $200 for 12 months includes 140GB Data. This plan is changing to $230 for 12 months for $160Gb data.

Boost also uses Telstra retail network as where the other Telstra resellers, Aldi etc use the Telstra wholesale network so it had less coverage.

You need to activate by May 8 prices are changing as I indicated above with the smaller plan.
Email I received from Boost says July 4th..
“What does this mean for you?
From 4 July 2023, the price of some of our plans will increase and more data will be added to those plans. This will affect your mobile numbers: ########## and ##########”
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2023, 10:41 PM   #19
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post

i'm fine with the internet speed and i was with voda ...... then i found a black spot! - where i lived a few years back was crap service in the back room but fine in the lounge room??.
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2023, 11:52 AM   #20
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Email I received from Boost says July 4th..
“What does this mean for you?
From 4 July 2023, the price of some of our plans will increase and more data will be added to those plans. This will affect your mobile numbers: ########## and ##########”
https://boost.com.au/products/200-prepaid-sim

Price:
Sale price$200.00
Value SIM includes first recharge. New customers only.

Free shipping anywhere in Australia.

150Mbps download speed: Caps will apply on 4G and 5G networks.
Great for most customers’ regular usage including streaming, browsing and social media. More on plan speeds

140GB on first recharge and 130GB on second recharge. New customers only who activate by 8 May 2023.

The $300 Plan has a similar condition extra data on First Charge if you activate by May 8.
Old 26-04-2023, 01:00 PM   #21
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

The great thing about Aldi is that you can bank unused data. I'm sitting at over 200gb.

Keeps the kids quiet on road trips..

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2023, 07:32 PM   #22
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use Telstra pre paid (our whole family does, wife and one teen age child and one adult child.

Never an issue, its a 12 months data (200gb) and unlimited messages and calls, even use it for my business, Once data runs out it still works (supposedly just slows down but I have not noticed it slowing)

$300 for the year, I pay for mine through my business, wife pays for hers and kids both work and pay for theirs.

Can highly recommend it even get 5g when coverage available.

I currently use iPhone 13 pro, missus has 14 pro max (we upgrade bi annually alternating so I will be upgrading to the 15 when it comes out), kids get their own phone daughter has iPhone 13 and son used iPhone X.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2023, 10:51 PM   #23
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use woolworths prepaid. They use Telstra 4G network
I think about $150 for 12 months around 100Gb data.
If I remember correctly, it was also advertised on https://www.catalogueau.com/woolworths/.

I don't download movies on phones so couldn't care less about 5G/data or latest phones as status symbols.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2023, 08:30 AM   #24
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
i'm fine with the internet speed and i was with voda ...... then i found a black spot! - where i lived a few years back was crap service in the back room but fine in the lounge room??.
Big hit and miss with them. When I had Voda I was lucky to have a signal 5km off any highway.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2023, 09:47 AM   #25
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383hq View Post
I use woolworths prepaid. They use Telstra 4G network
I think about $150 for 12 months around 100Gb data.

I don't download movies on phones so couldn't care less about 5G/data or latest phones as status symbols.
As mentioned a few posts back, the only reseller to get the full telstra network is boost.