Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-06-2022, 08:26 PM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: e-Scooters - opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
No one answered my charging question So I dug around a bit more...I believe the official term for someone going around charging the lime scooter is a "juicer" This juicer reckons you can make $5k+ a month in the US.....all done after hours......hmmmmmmmmmmmm. His claims are questionable, when you look at the condition of his phone...

Wonder how many of those scooters are at the bottom of the Yarra River? Usually all these new transport share platforms end up floating in the nearest body of water:

I love Melbourne, please never change
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2022, 08:32 PM   #32
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Wonder how many of those scooters are at the bottom of the Yarra River? Usually all these new transport share platforms end up floating in the nearest body of water:

I love Melbourne, please never change
Based on what I've seen, people here have generally been pretty good with them. The bikes were a nuisance in terms of taking up space, and when they were introduced, they were new, and you'll always get dicks abusing the privileges. That's why we can't have nice things here

Haven't really seen the scooters being abused. Worse I've seen in some kids trying to do jumps off a ramp. Most people ride them respectfully.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2022, 08:35 PM   #33
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

They're migrating to their natural habitat, albeit a little more slowly than the obike.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2022, 10:24 AM   #34
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
The segway didn't work so well for me. Never been sea or car sick in my life but after 15 minutes on one of those I puked my guts up
Odd combination of leaning forwards and back to get them moving then from side to side to steer.
Isn't that how you operate the Cortina? ;-)
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2022, 10:36 AM   #35
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Should give em weapons like bats and clubs and let them hit each other - would be perfect for how they're all bunched up in a pack.

EDIT: Looks like Segways on VicRoads ****list, which put them on Victoria Police's ****list.

I could imagine Vic Police on Segways, with a helmet with a flashing red/blue LED on it, chasing people on e-scooters and e-bikes.
Chinese black ops

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2022, 11:56 AM   #36
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Chinese black ops

They would want to be ready for the recoil

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2022, 04:46 PM   #37
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Of course they are illegal in this country. They are a good low impact form of transportation for cities. Ban it!
If any Australian city had better road system for these in between vehicles I would be more keen to use it.

If you’re not in a full size road vehicle or a pedestrian in Australian cities, you’re not welcome.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2022, 04:58 PM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Of course they are illegal in this country. They are a good low impact form of transportation for cities. Ban it!
If any Australian city had better road system for these in between vehicles I would be more keen to use it.

If you’re not in a full size road vehicle or a pedestrian in Australian cities, you’re not welcome.
Melbourne CBD did some bike lanes while COVID lockdowns were happening and some people have spat chips over it:

Quote:
No more new bike lanes for CBD after council cops complaints

The City of Melbourne will hit the brakes on the installation of separated bike lanes in the city centre after a backlash from businesses and residents.

About 19 kilometres of protected bike lanes have been built in and around the CBD over the past two years, with a further 71 kilometres planned by 2030, but the lanes have been criticised by some traders and delivery drivers who say they increase congestion and make it difficult to park.
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/v...02-p5aqia.html

I'd rather they encourage public transport, walking/e-scooters and cycling over cars in the CBD.

If you have to drive through the CBD to pass through it then we've made big mistakes with our infrastructure planning IMO.

I generally (used to) drive to the CBD, only because I don't live near any public transport, but I'll park in a parking complex, not fussed about lanes for cars being removed and cycling lanes going on, I get to the city, park in a parking complex then walk around.
This user likes this post:
Old 22-06-2022, 05:10 PM   #39
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP6 View Post
Baby boomers hate them!

I say why not, long as they are obeying the rules who gives a ****.
Some of those newer designed E-Bikes are pretty cool just a pity backwards Babyboomer Australians must insist they be illegal if not limited to 200w... sad.
yer that so, I've seen quite a number of boomers using them for local transport or the usual boomer hippy alternative type as well.
They luv scootering around.
Maybe your in a typical backward grey rinse boomer type of an area.
Todays movement its the boomers fault.
Its always someone's fault

Back on the e/bike/scooter subject, I had one yonks ago, long before this recent boom - (er) gonna look into a new one.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2022, 05:16 PM   #40
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Melbourne CBD did some bike lanes while COVID lockdowns were happening and some people have spat chips over it:

I'd rather they encourage public transport, walking/e-scooters and cycling over cars in the CBD.

If you have to drive through the CBD to pass through it then we've made big mistakes with our infrastructure planning IMO.

I generally (used to) drive to the CBD, only because I don't live near any public transport, but I'll park in a parking complex, not fussed about lanes for cars being removed and cycling lanes going on, I get to the city, park in a parking complex then walk around.
I guess half of you blokes wanting this stuff weren't born back in the 90s when we formed a Bicycle Users Group and won some significant battles against the then RTA and Gosford City Council in NSW.
You want this stuff get political or don't whinge about it.

Old 22-06-2022, 05:33 PM   #41
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I guess half of you blokes wanting this stuff weren't born back in the 90s when we formed a Bicycle Users Group and won some significant battles against the then RTA and Gosford City Council in NSW.
You want this stuff get political or don't whinge about it.
I'd argue given the federal division of Melbourne and the state electorate of Melbourne are both held by The Greens, and they also have influence in Melbourne City Council that the people living in Melbourne CBD and surrounds have indeed gotten political

I live in a regional town thats built in a way to encourage people to use their cars for small trips, the older estates mostly don't have footpaths, the new ones do but it just ends at the end of their estate, they don't actually connect with the commercial town centre so you end up walking along the roads or on peoples front yards/nature strip. Or you go **** it and get in the car to drive 500m

Its absolutely ridiculous.

This ties in with other transport options like e-scooters, there's obviously a demand here for people to be able to use them.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 22-06-2022 at 05:41 PM.
Old 22-06-2022, 06:45 PM   #42
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yeah it’s pretty **** that we’ve fully followed the American ideology of cars, cars and more cars.
As much as I like cars and driving, it would good to not have to have to use a car for every single trip I take. Plus if our cities were designed better and allowed more people to take alternate forms a transport, driving a car would be so much more enjoyable.

https://youtu.be/d8RRE2rDw4k

Netherlands is one of the least car centric places and still one of the best places to drive.

The best examples start at 4:10 in that video

Last edited by Ben73; 22-06-2022 at 06:54 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2022, 07:09 PM   #43
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Yeah it’s pretty **** that we’ve fully followed the American ideology of cars, cars and more cars.
As much as I like cars and driving, it would good to not have to have to use a car for every single trip I take. Plus if our cities were designed better and allowed more people to take alternate forms a transport, driving a car would be so much more enjoyable.
Think the same, want to ride my bike and/or jump on a train. Main reason why I bought a property in a town with rail and interstate coach travel.
If this country embraced difference modes of transport and not the them and us mentality, there would be better infrastructure and more room for when you do drive.

5 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2022, 07:53 PM   #44
Itsme
Experienced Member

The way some people ride e-scooters especially on roadways they are on a death wish, they make bicycle riders look like saints!
Just my observation.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2022, 08:31 PM   #45
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
The way some people ride e-scooters especially on roadways they are on a death wish, they make bicycle riders look like saints!
Just my observation.

You’ll be called a boomer haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2022, 08:55 PM   #46
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Queensland has just brought in a raft of new laws covering scooters, side walk speed is now limited to 12 kph, no doubling, no riding hands free or looking at your phone, big fines….
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2022, 09:26 PM   #47
marty351
Shenanigans..............

I wonder what the Ministry of Silly Walks will make of this "Sidewalk"?
marty351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2022, 08:42 AM   #48
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
I wonder what the Ministry of Silly Walks will make of this "Sidewalk"?
It's just a jump to the left.

4 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2022, 08:45 AM   #49
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
The way some people ............especially on roadways they are on a death wish, they make ............... look like saints!
Just my observation.

Insert your pet hate along the dotted lines, just my observation.

2 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2022, 09:25 AM   #50
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Great little scooter video on Aussiecams yesterday.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2022, 11:00 AM   #51
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They used to call motor cyclists "temporary Australians", escooter riders are even lower down the scale in terms of longevity.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2022, 11:11 AM   #52
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Came across one o those things yesterday, 15km out of town. Running down the Hwy.
Passenger said 'look out a Roo'.
Thought to myself, if you hit it, would it splatter the same way. He looked a bit windblown to the left as we passed at 100kmph. I reckon he wont last long, its a B Double route.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2022, 07:51 PM   #53
hayseed

Numbnuts here scored a trifecta.....LOL..

https://www.facebook.com/eyewatchcar...99111228911853
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2022, 08:04 PM   #54
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It’s “FB members only” seemingly.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2022, 08:15 PM   #55
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

For the non FB users........................

Old 25-06-2022, 08:23 PM   #56
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post

Hmmmm I thought the limit was 250w. Interesting. Lots of ebikes have been sold on the premise that 250w would not be considered a motor vehicle.

EDIT: Ahhhh. 250w if it is pedal assisted. 200w if no manual assistance is required. Obviously 250w won't apply for scooter!

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safe...isted-bicycles

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 25-06-2022, 11:33 PM   #57
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post

Look at the value of the fines, the impound, impound fees and plus the fines going to be attached to his charges when he gets to court.

He's going to be hit way harder for riding an e-scooter at 58km/h on the road than any drug related charges that may crop up for his taste for methamphetamines

Absolute clown world here in VIC, I'm sure Dandenong police have more important matters to be dealing with than ol mate with his e-scooter and glass BBQ.

Dandenong is where Apex originated
2 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2022, 12:20 PM   #58
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Look at the value of the fines, the impound, impound fees and plus the fines going to be attached to his charges when he gets to court.

He's going to be hit way harder for riding an e-scooter at 58km/h on the road than any drug related charges that may crop up for his taste for methamphetamines

Absolute clown world here in VIC, I'm sure Dandenong police have more important matters to be dealing with than ol mate with his e-scooter and glass BBQ.

Dandenong is where Apex originated
No, that’s exactly what police are intended for, intercepting people doing dangerous things.
Could you imagine those same police having to call his partner and explain how he died….

All they need to do is set rules similar to bicycles, 10 kph on footpaths and let’s say 25-30 kph in bikeways.
If kids can follow those rules then surely adults can too…
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2022, 12:59 PM   #59
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are going to break the law, break as few as possible at any given time That was the advice once given to me from an ex copper.

Probably would have got off with a warning had he not been tested positive for drugs.

Rides (past and present)

Old 26-06-2022, 01:03 PM   #60
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Love the fact they called a tilt tray to pick it up.