Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-05-2023, 02:47 PM   #31
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Big chain supermarkets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Try finding an aussie made toothpaste in your supermarket for example!
Have you used Red Seal from NZ or Grants from Aus. found in the health food isle of IGA or Independent hearth food stores.

https://australianmade.com.au/licens...20and%20owned.

https://www.redseal.global/nz/our-story/

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-05-2023, 03:42 PM   #32
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

We buy all our fresh food from the "local" markets but they source a lot of the fresh veggies from Sydney markets. It's much cheaper and last must longer than buying from the big 2.

We also shop at Aldi for all the other consumables. My wife makes almost all meals from scratch, so we don't buy many processed foods at all.

For meat, we buy whole lamb direct from the farm and then butcher it. I shoot all our venison meat. We buy our chicken from Aldi and occasionally beef mince if we run out of venison and I don't have the chance to drop a deer for a few weeks.

Our food bill isn't bad at all and almost all things we buy are aussie grown. Even the kids lunches. It's leftovers from the night before, fruit, some home made hummus and carrot sticks etc etc
Old 26-05-2023, 03:53 PM   #33
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
You go to the stand alone butchers and fruit & veg shops out in whoop whoop, and more often its more expensive than the supermarkets. How can that be? $9 for a loaf of country baked bread! Eeeek! With the recession coming, these shops won't be able to compete.
They (small retailers) need the coin more than the big thieving 2.
In most of my experience its of much better quality also.
My boss has in the last few years has started a farm/butcher shop.
His eggs are 12 per doz.
They are imo much betterer than anything from a stupidmarket, by a long way. Bacons not half bad either.
Recession? That wont change where we buy our fresh stuff from. We do get the odd bit of fresh stuff from the supermarket if we have to, but will always try not to.
Where we get our other stuff from, theres a local butcher out the front. I almost always pop in there to grab some steak/chicken or anything else that takes my fancy.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2023, 04:14 PM   #34
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife and I went to Woolworths 2 weeks ago because we had to go to the town it's in for business - it's a 150km trip which is why we don't shop there normally.
The place was an absolute S-fight with trolleys strewn everywhere, most of them with goods waiting to be put on shelves. While some items were labelled with the price, the vast majority didn't.The number of standard items that were priced higher than our little local supermarket was certainly an eye opener. Drinks which are $5.20 at home were $7, other bottled items were $4.28 compared to $1.80, fresh chicken product was $6.50 but only $5 at home etc. I wrote to Woolies about it and they couldn't give a stuff.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2023, 09:39 PM   #35
tbro4123

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
The place was an absolute S-fight with trolleys strewn everywhere, most of them with goods waiting to be put on shelves. While some items were labelled with the price, the vast majority didn't.The number of standard items that were priced higher than our little local supermarket was certainly an eye opener. Drinks which are $5.20 at home were $7, other bottled items were $4.28 compared to $1.80, fresh chicken product was $6.50 but only $5 at home etc. I wrote to Woolies about it and they couldn't give a stuff.

And then they expect "you" the customer to use the self serve.

I dropped over to our local for some milk and I watched a family with 3 stacked to the rafters with meat vegs and house hold shopping, stop and look around and then the old man said in a nice loud voice why are the registers not open????? Then the smarmy little assistant manager (had that ar**hole look and attitude) said "well sir I suppose you'll have to use the self checkout" Like F88K you can shove this where the sun don't shine bucko and then him, mumma bear and baby bear all walked out leaving the trolleys jammed in the aisle.

Geez I enjoyed that, especially the way little hitler was spittin and spewin. was worth the trip to Woolies.

Terry
tbro4123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2023, 10:05 PM   #36
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Have you used Red Seal from NZ or Grants from Aus. found in the health food isle of IGA or Independent hearth food stores.

https://australianmade.com.au/licens...20and%20owned.

https://www.redseal.global/nz/our-story/
My local woolies used to stock cedel, an Australian brand. They originally had both their normal toothpaste and the sensitive variety, but that then was reduced just to the sensitive variety. A month of so ago, that disappeared, too.

I checked our coles and the iga for the cefel, but no luck. So, I'm now trying the grants variety. Seems OK so far, although I'm not sure the fluoride free is necessarily the best way to go.

I need to talk to the manager at the iga and see if they'll get the cedel in for me.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2023, 09:04 AM   #37
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
I'm not sure the fluoride free is necessarily the best way to go.

I need to talk to the manager at the iga and see if they'll get the cedel in for me.
IGA (and in different locations) usually get stuff in for us, only gotta ask.

I think it is. You do realise flouride was sold as a magic elixir by aluminium producers.
Its a waste product they couldn't get rid of originally so they like to add it to all sorts of things including everyone's drinking water so you'll be consuming enough of it without the need to have it in toothpaste.

Old 27-05-2023, 09:39 AM   #38
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
IGA (and in different locations) usually get stuff in for us, only gotta ask.

I think it is. You do realise flouride was sold as a magic elixir by aluminium producers.
Its a waste product they couldn't get rid of originally so they like to add it to all sorts of things including everyone's drinking water so you'll be consuming enough of it without the need to have it in toothpaste.

Hmm.

"Fluoride is a naturally-occurring mineral which is found in all natural waters to some extent – both seawater and fresh water. It is the 13th most abundant element on the Earth’s crust; a chemical Ion of Fluorine."

https://www.caringtreechildrensdenti...-it-come-from/

"Fluorine is estimated to be the 13th-most abundant element in Earth's crust and is widely dispersed in nature, entirely in the form of fluorides"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoride
Old 27-05-2023, 12:39 PM   #39
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Hmm.

"Fluoride is a naturally-occurring mineral which is found in all natural waters to some extent – both seawater and fresh water. It is the 13th most abundant element on the Earth’s crust; a chemical Ion of Fluorine."

"Fluorine is estimated to be the 13th-most abundant element in Earth's crust and is widely dispersed in nature, entirely in the form of fluorides"

Umm, seawater pretty natural and abundant but we don't drink that.

Glad you posted from Wikipedia, the most reliable source of data.

Last edited by roKWiz; 27-05-2023 at 12:54 PM.
Old 27-05-2023, 12:42 PM   #40
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Hmmm, almost word for word taken from this.........

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...mottled%20(1).

Old 27-05-2023, 01:04 PM   #41
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Hmm.

pretty sure it's added to melbums drinking water .. not sure if geeloong has it yet .. but most likely does. it was 'recommended' as good for you in cutting down on tooth decay!.?.
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2023, 01:08 PM   #42
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
pretty sure it's added to melbums drinking water .. not sure if geeloong has it yet .. but most likely does. it was 'recommended' as good for you in cutting down on tooth decay!.?.
This was my point, its in this, its in that so why would natural health companies add it to their products.

So if its naturally occurs in most groundwater, why do they need to add more ??
Strathbogie doesn't add it. Gosford was against it.

Old 27-05-2023, 01:18 PM   #43
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Umm, seawater pretty natural and abundant but we don't drink that.

Glad you posted from Wikipedia, the most reliable source of data.
You're cherrypicking again...

which is found in all natural waters to some extent – both seawater and fresh water.
Old 27-05-2023, 01:27 PM   #44
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
You're cherrypicking again...

which is found in all natural waters to some extent – both seawater and fresh water.
As do you. I'll cherry pick this bit for the sheep here. ba ba ba.

Combining several methods of self-administered topical fluoride products with water fluoridation will lead to caries reduction benefits greater than when using only one method. Having a dose-response relationship, the exposure to multiple sources of fluoride, especially in lower concentrations administered daily, increases the caries reduction benefits. Combining topical fluoride products with the consumption of fluoridated water will benefit high-risk patients (28).

As with fluoridated water, there has been some concern about the simultaneous combination of fluoride ingested from both salt and toothpaste. Available data suggest that this combination has not resulted in objectionable enamel fluorosis levels. However, observations of increased mild dental fluorosis were seen in children who consumed fluoride tablets and fluoridated salt (17).

Thus, the statement that combining topical fluorides use and fluoridated water intake will cause fluorosis in the adult patient is uncertain. Fluorosis occurs only when fluoride is ingested in excessive amounts during the late secretion to the early maturation stage of enamel formation in the course of tooth development. Once tooth development is complete, any amount of topical fluoride exposure, whether in combination with fluoridated water or not, is not a risk factor for fluorosis. Children should be supervised when using topical products since swallowing some doses of these products regularly during tooth development has the potential to cause fluorosis (28).

Go to:
INCREASING OPPOSITION TO FLUORIDATION
More than 80% of fluoride toxicity is seen in children before the age of 6 years, due to ingestion of fluoride-containing toothpaste or mouthwashes (29); it is rare in adults in the developed world. Acute toxicity is characterized by nonspecific gastrointestinal disturbances such as pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea (30,31). In severe cases, this may progress to renal and cardiac dysfunction, coma, and ultimately death (32). In children, as little as 8.4 mg/kg may produce symptoms (30). Chronic fluoride toxicity is usually caused by high fluoride concentrations in drinking water or the use of fluoride supplements. Chronic ingestion of high doses leads to dental fluorosis, a cosmetic disorder where the teeth become mottled (1). In more severe cases, it leads to skeletal fluorosis, in which bone is radiologically dense, but fragile. Fractures can occur, and there may be calcification of ligaments and tendons, leading to reduced joint mobility (1). The syndrome also may include extensive calcification of ligaments and cartilage, as well as the bony outgrowths of osteophytes and exostoses (33).

I say it again, I don't think we all need to go looking for products with flouride added into the ingredients from my original post.

Old 27-05-2023, 01:38 PM   #45
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Wondering if the main reason people shop at the big chains is for the alleged cheaper fuel vouchers ?

thoughts.

Old 27-05-2023, 01:53 PM   #46
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wondering if the main reason people shop at the big chains is for the alleged cheaper fuel vouchers ?
it certainly used to be. that's the only reason Coles and Woolies got into the fuel game.

nowadays, I think it's more about convenience. I simply cant be bothered going to five different stores to get everything. same reason places like bunnings thrive.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2023, 01:55 PM   #47
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I say it again, I don't think we all need to go looking for products with flouride added into the ingredients from my original post.
Sure, if you consume tap water. Arent people increasingly consuming bottled and filtered water?

I drink almost no tap water. Most of my water comes from juice, soft drinks, etc. most water used in food production is filtered.
Old 27-05-2023, 01:55 PM   #48
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As with most things, moderation is the key....

https://www.latrobe.edu.au/news/arti...cting-children

Quote:

thoughts.
Nup. 4c off a 65 litre full fill is what....$2.60. How often do people fill up a week? I fill up 2-3 times a week, 40-50L each time, so I'd have to do 3 separate shops over, how much is it these days?, to maybe save $6 a week. Nup.

Only do the big 2 for convenience, late opening times is a big factor for me sometimes.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2023, 01:56 PM   #49
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
it certainly used to be. that's the only reason Coles and Woolies got into the fuel game.

nowadays, I think it's more about convenience. I simply cant be bothered going to five different stores to get everything. same reason places like bunnings thrive.
Surprised Bunnings haven't got a fuel voucher, suppose not them being part of Westfamers.

Funny you mention Bunnings as I can never get what I want there now, seems its become the $2 shop.

Old 27-05-2023, 01:58 PM   #50
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Sure, if you consume tap water. Arent people increasingly consuming bottled and filtered water?

I drink almost no tap water. Most of my water comes from juice, soft drinks, etc. most water used in food production is filtered.
Soft drinks contain sodium flouride.

Old 27-05-2023, 02:09 PM   #51
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Guys, let's not turn this thread into a flouride thread.

The thread was created with good intentions and is certainly a hot topic and it seems that everyone wants to discuss it in a reasonable manner.

Let's just leave it at that.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2023, 02:16 PM   #52
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Back on topic...

Quote:

thoughts.
I think that people on fixed incomes still do. My Dad tells me regularly how he saved 2c a litre on his last fill up.

I don't think that it as popular is it once was for a couple of reasons;
  • Regulators stepped in and capped the discount to 4c a litre after a number of independents complained about unfair practices
  • People began to realise that generally that the most you are going to save is a couple of dollars at best.
  • Smaller cars generally means smaller fuel tanks which means smaller savings with discounts.
  • Some petrol stations offering the discount were sometimes the dearest in the suburb.
  • Price of fuel. When it was 90c a litre, 4c sounded like a lot but now it is around $1.80 a litre...
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2023, 04:40 PM   #53
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Back on topic...

I think that people on fixed incomes still do. My Dad tells me regularly how he saved 2c a litre on his last fill up.

I don't think that it as popular is it once was for a couple of reasons;
  • Regulators stepped in and capped the discount to 4c a litre after a number of independents complained about unfair practices
  • People began to realise that generally that the most you are going to save is a couple of dollars at best.
  • Smaller cars generally means smaller fuel tanks which means smaller savings with discounts.
  • Some petrol stations offering the discount were sometimes the dearest in the suburb.
  • Price of fuel. When it was 90c a litre, 4c sounded like a lot but now it is around $1.80 a litre...
One of the advantages of running a dedicated lpg vehicle: the tanks are generally bigger than their petrol equivalent and the price is still under $1/l, meaning that 4c is a higher percentage discount.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2023, 04:52 PM   #54
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

We get extra discount at the petrol stations cause better halves discount card.
Still never use it

Also agree, its not as popular as it once was.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2023, 04:56 PM   #55
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Did it make that much of a saving. I always thought it was lesser quality diesel so never bought from the chain alliances.

I spose the bunker diesel I use couldn't get any less quality.

Old 27-05-2023, 10:10 PM   #56
prydey
Rob

Never understood the hatred toward the big corporations, specifically in this thread, the supermarkets. It's like they have been personally attacked by these companies.

And don't get me started on this who hate on coles and woolies but then put aldi on some kind of pedestal.

Sure, be patriotic or whatever you feel you need to do to give yourself that warm fuzzy feeling inside. Justify how you spend your money however you like, but also bear in mind, coles myer, and wesfarmers employ thousands of Australians and also support thousands of Australian suppliers.

Many people are on struggle street. Shopping on price isn't a choice. You buy what you can to get through the week.
Old 27-05-2023, 10:31 PM   #57
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Never understood the hatred toward the big corporations, specifically in this thread, the supermarkets. It's like they have been personally attacked by these companies.

And don't get me started on this who hate on coles and woolies but then put aldi on some kind of pedestal.

Sure, be patriotic or whatever you feel you need to do to give yourself that warm fuzzy feeling inside. Justify how you spend your money however you like, but also bear in mind, coles myer, and wesfarmers employ thousands of Australians and also support thousands of Australian suppliers.

Many people are on struggle street. Shopping on price isn't a choice. You buy what you can to get through the week.
I agree with you, I never found any supermarket to be perfect big or small, tried shopping the small independents and they are no better than the big boys with price & quality.
Each week I try to stretch the dollars on products, not an easy gig when you are on limited funds.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2023, 10:31 AM   #58
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Found IGA to be the best overall, still selling quality name brands and very helpful for getting item in they don't normally sell.
Usually have most of the checkouts in operation manned (womanned) by humans.

Don't know whether they do fuel dockets ? Never used them.

Old 28-05-2023, 01:48 PM   #59
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I remember how everyone used to complain about Bunnings, and how they needed some competition. Then we got Masters. Bunnings picked up their act for a while, and you actually got something resembling customer service. But before long, everyone was complaining that Masters wasnt enough like Bunnings, and soon they were gone. Now we have Bunnings, back to treating its customers with disdain.

I feel like we have the retail sector we deserve in this country...
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2023, 02:00 PM   #60
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I remember how everyone used to complain about Bunnings, and how they needed some competition. Then we got Masters. Bunnings picked up their act for a while, and you actually got something resembling customer service. But before long, everyone was complaining that Masters wasnt enough like Bunnings, and soon they were gone. Now we have Bunnings, back to treating its customers with disdain.

I feel like we have the retail sector we deserve in this country...
Have noticed of late a few Mitre10's scaling up their country stores with quite a few Aussie made products.
Bought some "Wobble T" expandable chain sprinklers, a couple of Aussie made rakes and Aussie watering cans, US made Sharkbite fittings. Bunnings sell the chinese knock offs.