Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #426
rosefisted

Let this be a warning to others...

Changed front right wheel bearing on my Series I AU as per RonWest's informative and helpful instructions listed in the "tech" section...

All went well until replacing the brake caliper. Upper caliper bolt went in and was torqued to 30nm. Lower caliper bolt snapped off waaaay before 30nm was reached. So... now I have a brake caliper that can't be removed because of the snapped bolt.. Only one thing to do - disassemble brake caliper. Start by releasing bleed nipple. Then undo banjo-bolt. SNAP. Banjo-bolt broke in half.

Now, before any of you assume they were over tightened, read on...

The snapped lower caliper bolt was undone and removed from the stub axle by nothing more than a cheap set of multi-grips.
The remains of the banjo bolt was removed by hand.

It's now Saturday night, in Devonport Tasmania. Being on this lonely isolated island with no suppliers open past 2pm on Saturday until Monday means I'm stuffed.

Lessons learnt:
1- Make sure you have replacement parts for all bolts, a good set of mult-grips, and a drill with a some appropriate tappers if all else goes pear shape!
2- Consider another model of vehicle with slide-in replacement wheel bearings (TD Cortina, anyone? lol)

Last edited by rosefisted; 16-02-2008 at 05:28 PM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #427
GhiaGrifter
Fairmont 2AU

Default Cruise Control out because of Brake Lights, $2.50 fix

Seen a few threads with this problem but my browser search didnt find it here so I'll go with that.

Some of the AU's have a bizarre design fault.
If one, or both, of your brake lights are out (bulb blown), Cruise Control will stop working. No joke.

I can confirm this as of this morning. I knew I had one light out and have been driving around, then Cruise stopped working. When I tested my lights recently I realized I'd been driving around for a week or so with NO brakelights other than the high-tail one (Brrrrr).

Replaced both bulbs, now dont scare cars behind me so much and have Cruise Control fully working again.

Model: 2001 Tickford Fairmont 2AU

Cost: $2.50 at Repco
(Make sure you narrow down the exact model when you go in, the manual is a good thing to have, just in case voltages/amps/wattages vary).

Jon
GhiaGrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 07:49 PM   #428
rosefisted

Power steering rack has itself AGAIN! Had it replaced less than 6 months ago with a reco/change over unit. It's leaking again!
Old 08-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #429
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

id go back to where you got it from and get it replaced FREE
as thats just not acceptable
Old 09-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #430
rosefisted

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
id go back to where you got it from and get it replaced FREE
as thats just not acceptable
I noticed that it's they pressure switch that's leaking. Had it replaced when I got the rack done.. Was told that Repco switches are prone to "letting go unexpectedly" (FFS, why did they use a Repco switch to begin with, then? :togo: )

Because it's the long weekend, I can't get in to get in fixed until, at the earliest, Tuesday... Talk about being ****ed off at the moment! :
Old 09-03-2008, 12:04 PM   #431
bisho

i have a S111 au xr6 and for a while now it was hard to start when it was cold when hot no problem. so one day we went out and the battery itself so nrma come out put new battery in it all good now starts like a champ.
apparently the battery was on the way out and wasn't sending enough charge to the computer.
bisho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 01:01 AM   #432
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

I have a Series 1 Fairmont Ghia V8 and problems thus far have been

2 lower rear ball joints - pressed them out and fitted new ones.
front brake shudder - surface discs and put in softer pads
bad idle behavior problems cause by cam that i put in
broken maf sensor which i dropped
one rack boot

Had a rather stange climate control problem where by if i set it to say 20 degrees on a 16 degree day it would put out full hot air until inside cabin would get to about 40 degrees and then it would turn air con on full cold in a nasty and very annoying cycle.

Fix - well i check for bad earths and other problems etc. couldn't find anything and then someone suggested to reset the climate control by hitting off and the button with the person sitting down together. all fixed.
5.0 ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 09:20 PM   #433
Nunnya

Did you sort the keypad issue out? Maybe I can help, if required.
Nunnya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 09:59 PM   #434
Nunnya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robe
This was probably an excellent resource when it started but now with nearly 400 posts on a really wide variety of issues it is getting to be a bit too much to troll through.

Can I suggest that we thank this thread for its service to AUs and put it to bed? Then we can tackle these sort of Q and A matters as individual topics.
G'day Rob, just read your post from last year, but gotta disagree mate. I only joined today, but have had a ball reading the 400+ posts, and have picked up heaps.
One huge gain for me is the climate control display unit repair. Mine's been rs for ages.
One thing puzzles me though, you don't really read all 400+ do you?
Surely you'd only read the latest? Leave 'em, I say. Keep on rockin' King!
Nunnya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2008, 11:36 AM   #435
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletmun
gday all, had a go at this today took all of about 15 mins, i didnt even do the ironing bit, just took it all apart, and cleaned the inside of the glass etc, fired it up and it has dots, etc that i didnt know excisted, sweet, cheers lil monty.
I also did this Yesterday. What a ripper of an idea. Did all as described and my unit is now like brand new!! THANKS LIL MONTY!
Old 28-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #436
ford_maiden
5lt fairmont ghia

Default my AU

well i have a V8 AUII fairmont ghia

if i drive ot a little bit mean it gets hot- as it should- but as i go to pull it up it wont down gear i think, it shuders and carries on it will drop top about 200 rmp and then pick up again be fine

my electric windows are tempremental

the display panel thing sometime works

and sometimes my seat will decide to adjust it self while im driving
this generation of car enthusiasts didnt invent the art of 'cruising' , 'cutting bog laps' , 'racing' and 'burnouts'. its funny how the past generation or two stardted it and now are the ones handing out the fines

AU II FAIMONT GHIA " TIX35" 5.0lt
ford_maiden is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #437
MrXr6Tickford
AU Club Mod

well i had my diff replaced 4000km's after i bought it (I've only had it since end of november last year) I think ford reco'd it as it was under that 3month - 5000km warrenty.. but lucky i have a harrier warrenty and it comes under that. But the new diff has been whining a fair bit now and espically when i back off from the throttle... does anyone else think i might have a stuffed diff again? :
MrXr6Tickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #438
davor
Starter Motor

ABS not working
Can anyone help me with the following ABS problems:
The ABS on my Ford Fairmont, AUIII (Dec. 2001) is producing strange noise when in action. The noise is similar to noise caused by the traction of two metal objects. This started to happen several months ago and was happening only when I was slowing down and pulling to the right. Now days, the noise is regular when ABS is in action. In addition, occasionally (more often then not), while driving, both, ABS and the TCS (Traction Control System) indicators, are up (the lights are on) on the instrument panel. I fix this by stoping and restarting the car (I call it resetting). My mechanic did not find anything visibly wrong and the brakes work fine.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
davor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2008, 06:41 PM   #439
mefozzy

Default smart lock remotes

I have a 98 fairmont & would like to know how to programme the smart lock remotes can anyone help.
mefozzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2008, 09:38 PM   #440
kensington
Starter Motor

Default Dash console fairmont ghia

I have had the entire console electronics (dials, trip computer, all warning lights, gauges etc) fail on my AU series 1 ghia. Ford aparrently no longer makes/supplies this as a unit which has made replacing the entire unit a difficult option. Would it be possible to repair this problem or has anyone else had similar problems?
Currently what is wrong with the unit causing this failure is unknown but is more complicated than the Ford service centre is able to diagnose. Any suggestions or comments would be helpful as I do not wan't to have to go down the route of trying to fit used parts if avoidable.
kensington is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #441
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont VDO manufacture the dash cluster??
if so .. give them a ring.. they may be able to repair it for minimal cost..
Old 21-06-2008, 07:30 PM   #442
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensington
I have had the entire console electronics (dials, trip computer, all warning lights, gauges etc) fail on my AU series 1 ghia. Ford aparrently no longer makes/supplies this as a unit which has made replacing the entire unit a difficult option. Would it be possible to repair this problem or has anyone else had similar problems?
Currently what is wrong with the unit causing this failure is unknown but is more complicated than the Ford service centre is able to diagnose. Any suggestions or comments would be helpful as I do not wan't to have to go down the route of trying to fit used parts if avoidable.
This happened to 1 of the boys at work.... I know this sounds silly but it was caused by a faulty taillight blowing the fuse.... worth a look.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #443
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I might create a "problem timeline" page at aufalcon.com as part of the technical information section. I was wondering if someone(s) might be able to list the kilometres at which specific items start being a problem or need replacing, etc?

Thanks,

Andrew.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2008, 08:50 PM   #444
tickford.xr6
Starter Motor

i just got a tickford xr6 ute and on the id plates its got au on one and on the other its got au2 whats the deal with that?
tickford.xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2008, 12:33 PM   #445
xr8man83
Grunt Files

problems with my au2 xr8 ute has been.

Starter motor died at bout 90,000kms dont ask ford for a price I nearly had a heart attack when they said over $1600 haha

water pump died a horrible death at about 100,000kms Gasket is tricky to clean off it took a couple of attempts.

there is a little o-ring in the power steering pump that lets go and you have to cut away a nut that is held on by a by a circlip on the inside so you cant undo it which is real handy haha and replace the o-ring nut thing and circlip doesnt cost much just one of those frustrating jobs

and now my ABS light comes on when i get under it and i loose my ABS the brakes still work just no ABS i still am trying to figure out this problem and will post again when i have unless someone has had this prob and can put me in the right direction???
xr8man83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #446
CYCO TROOPS
CYCO4D Wagon.

Yes Stav, that makes two of us, its sooooooo damn annoying!!!

[QUOTE=Stav]The AU boot release on my wagon powers down after several minutes and I cannot open it from the switch. QUOTE]
Old 13-10-2008, 06:46 AM   #447
bljohns85
Starter Motor

I have also had a few issues with my au it is the AU1 XR6
at 120,000 klms the timing chain snapped pushing pistons into valves,
one of the windows clips had broken therefore no window,
clutch buggered out on me(just recent)
floor pan cracked near seat mount on passenger side,
and also having problems with my throttle body when idling down it will stick on 1100 rpm then idle down properly it takes about 3 seconds though and thats not good when im changing gears....

ongoing cost, decided to do a full rebuild on the ol girl when the timing chain snapped the price of that was $2400.00 could have got a reco for cheap but I love my engine and my au!!!!!
bljohns85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 06:48 AM   #448
bljohns85
Starter Motor

that doesnt sound good mate maybe someone has churched it up to be a tickford? and what year model is it? and also did you do a revs check?
bljohns85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #449
patto619
Starter Motor

got a 01 au II xr6 ute.
just brought it other day.

problems when i brought it were.
Brake Lights: Both were blown, hope there isnt a electrical issue, just hope the guy i brought it from didnt notice.
Front Headlight: One was not working, had a look at globe and it was fine, checked behind and just had a loose wire.
Passenger Door: Wasnt opening from inside, pulled interior out of door, the cable had fallen out of mount, pushed it back in and it was fine/

Now i just need roadworthy, rego, and new tires.
patto619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2008, 10:45 PM   #450
Swedishmoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Have an AU 1 guia and only problem has been the windows sticking, as previously has said. But the rear diff is starting to make the 'Taxi whine' and is a bit annoying, and at only 90000 km but apart from that is the best Ford I have had for lack of problems.......touch wood!!!! With the VCT, it does hoon along a bit as well :voldar02:
The wagon is an AU 11 dead standard and just came back from a quick trip to N.T. and back to Melb, with again no probs. Windows are bit annoying in that one too!

Hi there....

when do I have to get that "taxi whine" checked ?..or...when do I definately have to get it checked ?
Mine does it to, but the rear diff is dry ...mine has got 125000 km on the odometer...

The Moose
Swedishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post